46 days left to deadline!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: 46 days left to deadline!

You're not one for trade talk.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

bob,

of all the names you mentioned th only ones I see possibly involving the B's would be Phillips and Regehr.  Regehr for Savy would make me happy. 

I believe Bergie and Krejci and man the top two center positions and I believe we can add a reliable 3rd line center.  Possible Frans Nielsen from the Islanders when healthy b/c he has been money against some of the top line fwds in the east this year.  And is great on the draws. 

And then the most obvious need is a scoring top 6 winger and there will be some available. 

If this lineup stays the same we won't advance past the 2nd round. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Krejci has done nothing to show me he can take over #1 center duties nothing. I do agree though that if Chiarelli keeps this team intact they will not get past the 2nd round that is for certain. Keep evaluating PC!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Virtually everyone said last years team would get smoked in the first round.  I'm just gonna watch the games and see.
    If anyone here wants to wager even money on just 1 team(not both) participating in this years conference finals, I've got a 50.  Offer expires Thursday noon, and I ain't betting "against" the B's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Steve- just for ghits and shiggles what happens if the B's fail to make the playoffs.  Its impossible to predict the conference finals without having the playoff tree in front of you.  I say Philly vs Pitt.  In the West I say Det vs Van.
    Pitt beats Van in 6 games in the final.

Of course we need to watch the games and no one can predict the future.  But this is the same roster that lost to Philly(who are better than last year and will have a rested Pronger for playoffs).  Pitt is also vastily improved.  And you know the Caps are gonna load up for a run b/c they have cap space.

San- Are you comfortable with Savy as your #1 center.  I mean do you have that warm fuzzy feeling that a. he stays healthy. b. his game comes around(b/c at the moment he stinks- yes I realize he is just getting his legs). 
    Personally I would look to deal Krejci for a scoring winger.  I have already mentioned this trade but it would work perfectly for both teams and give us some cap room.
    To Edmonton- Krejci and Wheeler.  The Oilers have lots of wingers for the top 6 and need a center.  Krejci gives them Gagner-Krejci-Horcoff combo.  Wheeler gives them a bottom 6 winger with size that they crave.  Works very well for the Oilers.

To Boston- Penner and Cogliano.  Penner replaces Lucic on the 1st line and we have a guy that is a beast down low and a 30 goal scorer.  He is also young and kills pims.  Cogliano gives us a speed burst from the 3rd line and is capible of scoring. 
    I havent checked but the money is pretty even and I believe Wheel/Krejci make more than Penner/Cogs by about a million.
    My Bruins Lineup:
    1. Savy/Horton/Penner
    2. Bergie/Lucic/Seguin
    3. Cogs/Recchi/March
    4. Campy/Paille/Thorton(Ryder)

Balance-Size-Speed  I like Seguin on line 2 b/c he plays with Bergie who is our most reliable fwd and Lucic who will bring the thunder. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Can't argue with your picks Shupe, probably as good as anyones.  You're right about the playoff tree.  At this point there are plenty of teams in the east that are sort of on the bubble, so a logical prediction can only include todays frontrunners.  If someone can't pick the top 8, they probably won't have much luck on the big predictions.  Upsets always happen though, and they're usually in the first round for some reason.
    Again, Philly or the Pens is a good pick.  A lot can happen in the second half though, and I wouldn't feel confident in wagering 50 on either at this point.  Right now, Philly scares me more than anyone else in the east.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think PC will give all three Krejci, Bergeron and Savard time to bring their games around before he gets rid of one of them I think PC will bring better wingers than trade one of his three top centers.

I don't feel warm and fuzzy with Marc's game no but Patrice and David don't get the number #1 nod either neither have fully rounded to take it away from Savard because of injury his injury. Boston just doesn't have finishers so hopefully Bergeron, Krejci and Savard start shooting more Patrice has.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

YOu significantly overvalue Cogliano. Oilers were looking to deal him in the summer and he just hasn't developed into the player they/scouts wanted him to be.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If you think Krejci and Wheeler for Penner and Cogliano is a good deal for the Bruins, you are BOTH drastically over-rating the Oiler players and drastically under-rating the Bruin players.  Penner will never be more than what he is right now.  Cogliano might be in the AHL if he was property of another team.  Krejci has as many points as Penner and is a bit more consistent, though Penner can play more of a power game when he wants.  Penner also has his points in the typical Oiler style of play - lots of pushing the puck.  Penner's played about 8 more games to get to 27 points, which is reasonably significant on a Points/game basis.  Trying to compare apples to apples - Krejci is tied for fourth among Bruin forwards at +11.  Penner's closer to 8th on the Oilers at -6 (trying to correct for the number of guys who haven't really played the whole season).  Cogliano's -12 and has 13 points. Wheeler's +7 and has 18 points incuding 10 goals.  He's also as fast as Cogliano if not faster.

I look at how that deal's constructed and it looks like you're upgrading the Oilers by trading Wheeler for Cogliano, and paying a premium to trade a centre for a winger in Krejci for Penner.

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand why people expect to shop the Oilers or the Islanders or wherever for talent.  If they had talent, they wouldn't finish in the bottom 5 every year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: 46 days left to deadline!:
    You're not one for trade talk.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

You know I respect your posts, and I am not (generally) a big fan of the OP, but this was kind of uncalled for. He did raise some interesting points in his post.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Book,

Penner is a 30 goal scorer.  We dont have one.  He is still young under a reasonable contract(especially when considering the contracts some the Bruins players have).  He has size, speed and a very good nose for the net.  He also is used on the reg/pk.  His minus 6 on a bad team does not scare me in the least.  He is a power fwd and has shown he is a consistant scorer. 

Cogliano is/was overhyped.  But you don't teach speed and he has lots. Easily would become our fastest player.  He also is used on the PK and as a 3rd line center I can live with it.  He is also the youngest of the 4 players mentioned. 

Krejci- Hot and Cold type player with obvious skill.  I am not arguing his value.  In fact I am one of his more vocal supporters. I just think he would be the obvious to go. 
    Wheeler- I think he has perfect 3rd line ability.  That is his ceiling for me.  He isnt a top 6 fwd. 

What does this team have in the supply and demand world.  We have 4 centers and not enough scoring wingers.  What we add:  A scoring winger who you don't give enough credit to.  Yes Penner's heart has been questioned.  But I question the heart of a lot of our current roster players.  I think Penner is a perfect fit. We also replace the center we lost with a guy with world class speed and potential.  I think both Cogliano and Wheeler have the potential to be solid 50-60 pt 3rd line guys.  I just don't think it will happen for their current clubs.

I realize to get you have to give.  We have 3 centers who can play in the top 2 lines.  We have a franchise player who will eventually be our #1 center in Seguin.  I don't think this team has the ability to score in close games which essentially means any team that makes the playoffs, gets a hot goalie can eliminate this team.  See Carolina 2 yrs ago. 
    In order to be a beast in the east you have to score...or have a go to player.  This team doesnt have the ability to score and who is our go to player.  Savy- play maker- Krecji- play maker Bergie- play maker.  Where are the finishers.  Lucic? Horton?  They are too streaky. 

This current roster will not advance to the semi's.  Yes they can beat a 1st round opponent...but they can also be had if a team traps it up and stays in a one goal game. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And Book, just to add on. 

If you wanna break the deal down like you did.
    Cogliano- underachiever, younger, faster, but pretty much mirrors Wheelers production in the NHL to date.  He is off to a bad year but again, you dont teach speed.  I don't think it is as one sided as you make it.  And you really can't compare plus minus from a last place club to the best defensive club. 

Krejci for Penner.
    I would argue that Krejci is the better player and is younger.  But I think each has a very different game.  I think what Penner would bring out weighs what we lose b/c of who is on our current roster.  7 goals and 20 assists.  he likely he gets 60 pts on the year.  But what he add is a 30 goal guy who would immediately go on the top line.  He is very mobile and plays a variety of roles.  And i know I am using plus minus to my advantage on this one.  But Penner was a plus 6 last year on the worst club in hockey. 

I think when you look at the lineup.  Would you rather my projected lineup for a run at the cup.  Or do you wanna wait another year? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Good alternative comments from Shupe and BB. Since Claude is not going anywhere, dump and chase will not be changing. In watching the bruins vs. Pittsburgh, Pitt does not look very good, perhaps Crosby makes a huge difference, but not that huge. The proposed trade scenarios are OK and I support BB's point of view on value. IMO too many on these boards underate the players the bruins have vs, other possibilities. With Arneil and Caron in the wings, Peter should be looking to shed some salary and gain cap space. I would like to see Ryder, Wheels, Paille and Boychuck moved [ I'd reslly rather have REX retire, but on the 4th line he would still be able to contribute] If my dreams evolved it would show :: Lucic/Bergeron/Marchand; Caron/Savard/Horton; Arneil/Kreji/Seguin; Recchi/Campbell/McGratton. On defense:: Chara/Ference;Seidenberg/Kamfer; McQuaid/Bartkowski/ new #2 defenseman. All of this could be bogus, but I'm not sure that other teams can provide the value that Caron/Arneil/ and Bartkowski present.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Superhuman - Horton has scored 30 once and scored above 20 the past 5 years. Ryder has scored 30 twice. Bergeron is on pace for 26 and scored 30 once. Lucic is on pace for 32. If the Bruins played a more open system, it would probably create more 30 goal scorers. 

From my post yesterday, the Bruins are not going to be trading away major pieces at the deadline. 

I think by moving any of the centers we have right now would make a bad trade. Why do you need to move a center anyways, Bergeron and Seguin are both capable of playing the wing and doing so effectively.  

"This current roster will not advance to the semi's.  Yes they can beat a 1st round opponent...but they can also be had if a team traps it up and stays in a one goal game."

Please let me borrow your crystal ball as you seem so certain that the team will fail.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Agree with bogie. While I understand a lot of homers overvalue Bs players, I think the league and a lot of posters completely undervalue Bs players. Also, it is naive to believe that plugging a player from another system into the Bs system will not cause a drop off in production.

Not against trading away players or prospects but I don't see much room to add any players right now and would prefer to keep the assets the Bs have and add a player in the offseason once Ryder's cap is cleared and Recchi retires allowing them to add a winger without giving up anything.

The Bruins do not have a team that has a ton of players going to free agency or a ton of players that are too old. Deadline deals will hurt the long term viability of the Bs. You're more likely to win a cup if you have a strong team for several years vs. a strong team for 1 or 2, that's just the NHL, it doesn't work like other sports.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

nrguy,

If we are depending on Ryder at all we are in trouble.  :-) 

Horton is an unproven playoff player.  I am hoping he is amazing. Penner was already a vital part of a cup winner.  But my argument was name me our go to scorer in the playoffs.  We have a team that is full of set up guys.  And having 3 solid centers is fine if they are Sid/Malkin/Staal. 

If this team makes no major upgrades or at least some compliment moves we are gonna bow out again.  AND when that happens I will be posting about it.  I think this team has a very good core of players.  But as each year passes Chara gets older.  He is our franchise player.  I think this team can be built to win now and down the road. 

Bogie- that lineup wont get us past round one.  In fact i doubt that lineup gets us in the playoffs. 

Bottom line is I think people over estimate what we have.  In my eyes we have one center that can land us a top scoring winger.  If they use Krejci maybe it can land us a top notch dman as well. 

The current Bruins roster will not advance far...we have watched this broken record on too many occasion.  I am not gonna complain about CJ's method or plan.  I just don't think that with the talent that is in the east we can compete.  I wouldnt feel comfortable playing any of the teams in the current top 8. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

nr,

I disagree with your long term team building plan.  It is very rare that you can assemble a team based on a long term plan.  Detroit/Pitt are a rare bird.  But a team like Chicago loaded up and then had to basically start over based on current stars. 
    Yes the Bruins have young players but the franchise player is Chara.  If you look around the league teams normally only have a year or two to win it all.  Strip it down and start from scratch.  Its just the way in a cap world.  A team like Washington will have an extremely hard task to keep Semin after this year.  They currently have cap room.  They are loaded with young guys coming up and have a very young team in general.  I think this year is a prime year for Washington to make a run at big name players at the deadline. 

I like what the Bruins have.  I just think we could make a run this year and still not give up too much.  I mean I would be more than willing to make a deal of Wheeler and our 1st rounder for Penner.  Or for someone similar.  Problem this team faces is cap space.  So in order to land someone that is a top 6 fwd or top 4 dman we need to shed a contract. 

I want the Bruins to make a run this year.  Thats the only thing I am trying to debate.  And currently this team does not have the guns to hang with the big boys and any team that slides in the playoffs has a chance to play it close and pull an upset. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

when is the deadline to fire the coach??

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Does anyone else here think that Krecji gets the short end of the stick all the time ? Come on face it, with horton and lucic on his line they did well, then he gets shipped off to ryder and wheeler because savard is back , savard hasnt earned his spot yet. Damn you guys, how does krecji ever get consistent like this. Its the same as i said about seguin needing a fixed line and bergeron as well. Maybe the dam coaching has finally realized this.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I didnt sell him short at all.  I actually praise him all the time.  I just think to get a desired asset you must trade from a position of strength.  I think adding Penner and losing Krejci make the Bruins a better team.  Most teams dont want Ryder and Ference.  So in order to land a quality player you must trade something of value back. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

The key to this whole tread is quite simply those who over value/undervalue the current team.  Obviously, if this team has a shot, tweaking is the only option, cuz if their are several pieces missing....then...they don't have a shot.
    I'm all for tweaks. 
    For those that think the rest of the east is that strong, 1/2 of the season tells us otherwise, everyone has had their share of failure.
    In the west, please refer to toronto's recent road trip.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

steve

I agree that every team has ups and downs.  Washington is a prime example.  And I am the author of the penner/krecji deal.  Is that a mega blockbuster.  I dont think. 
    Strength- center ice.  we could deal one and we have one in waiting. 

I will end on the same note I have sang.  I am fine with minor tweaks but we have 2 major concerns. 
    1.  Scoring- and that I contribute to wingers not scoring for the play making centers we have. 
    2. Top 4 Dman- Chara logs a lot of ice.  We saw what Philly did last year with their top 4.  In the end it almost brought them a cup.

My targets:
    Scoring Winger- Penner-Dumont are my ideal targets that we likely could get with a trade of a pick.  So maybe we can hold onto our 3 centers.  How about Dumont for a 3rd rounder.  Might fit well with Savy.

Top 4 Dman- Kaberle-Andy Greene-Phillips-Regehr.  My ideal pick would be Regehr.  Wheeler and our 1st rounder for Regehr?  Regehr is very very underated and would log a lot of ice. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

problem with my last post is cap space.  Maybe Nashville would take Ryder/pick for Dumont.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Krejci isn't and has never been a #1 center. He's a good #2. Bergeron is top 2 in just about every offensive category and is better at defense and puck protection too. Bergeron and a healthy Savard are #1 centers, Krejci I like but he's not at that level.

Krejci has done nothing to show me he can take over #1 center duties nothing. I do agree though that if Chiarelli keeps this team intact they will not get past the 2nd round that is for certain. Keep evaluating PC!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

No, the guy who gets the shortend is Bergeron. Go ahead, compare his linemates to anyone elses over the last two seasons or so.

Does anyone else here think that Krecji gets the short end of the stick all the time ? Come on face it, with horton and lucic on his line they did well, then he gets shipped off to ryder and wheeler because savard is back , savard hasnt earned his spot yet. Damn you guys, how does krecji ever get consistent like this. Its the same as i said about seguin needing a fixed line and bergeron as well. Maybe the dam coaching has finally realized this.
    Posted by wallydouglas

Sections
Shortcuts