TSN just reported 5 games handed out to Marchand

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: 5 Games

Shanny's video

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=148388

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: 5 Games:
    [QUOTE]Shanny's video http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=148388
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    What a crock. Shanahan just changed the rules mid-stream. That hit wasn't at the knees yet he made multiple references to it being a clip at the knees.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Absolute bull! I could have lived with 2 games max but 5 games??? What a joke!
    What happened to the league-wide conspirecy favoring the Bruins?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Definitely a bit harsh considering past hits that were somewhat similar went unpunished (Marchand's being the most flagrant, however).  From a player safety perspective, I can understand it though - "predatory low hit" sums it up pretty well IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Definitely a bit harsh considering past hits that were somewhat similar went unpunished (Marchand's being the most flagrant, however).  From a player safety perspective, I can understand it though - "predatory low hit" sums it up pretty well IMO.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]
    Hang, my issue is with Shanny referencing the clipping rule and claiming Marchand took out Salo at the knees. We all see the same video evidence. Was it at the knees or not? I don't like the idea of suspending people for almost breaking the rules.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 5 Games : Hang, my issue is with Shanny referencing the clipping rule and claiming Marchand took out Salo at the knees. We all see the same video evidence. Was it at the knees or not? I don't like the idea of suspending people for almost breaking the rules.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I hear you dez and that's the predicament Shanny is in.  As shupe says, it would be better to let the players settle many of these issues on the ice; it's impossible for the league to police every single incident with consistency. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The problem I have now that I have changed my views on the hit/clipping is the scope and sequence to something that did happened last year when Hamhuis hit Lucic in the playoff.  No penalty was called then, yet Marchand was called for a penalty now a suspension now.  Shanahan now has to met out justice with the Marchand suspension as a "common law".  Again, originally I thought the hit was illegal, certainly a hit with the intent to injure, but if there is evidence of a like or similar act without a penalty and suspension, the logical response is that Shanny has made new interpretation (new defining of the rule or "common law") or the Canucks have undo infleunce on the judgement via the media.  I like to think the former, but me thinks it is the latter.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 5 Games : I hear you dez and that's the predicament Shanny is in.  As shupe says, it would be better to let the players settle many of these issues on the ice; it's impossible for the league to police every single incident with consistency. 
    Hang, I agree Shanny has a tough gig. Every decision he makes is bound to infuriate someone. He got me this time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from montecristo. Show montecristo's posts

I agree with the 5 games . It was deserved. I hope he learns from it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 5 Games : Hang, I agree Shanny has a tough gig. Every decision he makes is bound to infuriate someone. He got me this time.

I'm with ya, not happy about it either.  Life goes on though and hopefully he'll live and learn.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 5 Games : I'm with ya, not happy about it either.  Life goes on though and hopefully he'll live and learn.
    Caron and Hamill are quietly pleased right now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 5 Games : Caron and Hamill are quietly pleased right now.

And Bergeron and Seguin will have an elite stickhandler to play with now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think Shanny is a million times better than Campbell.

I felt it was a reasonable explanation, at or below the knees or thereabouts.  And last year was last year, different sheriff in town.

I think Marchand is a good player who didn't need to do that, and I wouldn't like to see him do anything like that again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 5 Games : And Bergeron and Seguin will have an elite stickhandler to play with now.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]
    They should learn plenty I suppose.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 5 Games : What a crock. Shanahan just changed the rules mid-stream. That hit wasn't at the knees yet he made multiple references to it being a clip at the knees.

I see contact with the knee. Whether 5 games is warranted or not is up for debate, but MAYBE this will smarten the kid up! When he plays hockey he's great, but when he plays on the line he almost always crosses it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Its unfortunate that he actually asked ahead of time what the parameters were on the legality of this type of hit, and they told him it was OK if it was defensive.  You can call it low, dangerous, interference, whatever, but its definitely defensive to me.  Salo, a much bigger player, took a run at him and came in back-first.

Marchand is getting lit up by his priors, and dont think the punching bag routine on a Sedin that he got away with in the Finals didnt infuriate the NHL.  So, we will swallow it.  maybe it calms some of the Bruins Bias claims by the crybabies, but I doubt it.

I hate to think Gillis and Vaignault's crying influenced Shanny.  That would be disappointing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Shanahan was dead on with this one. Marchand has a history and this type of hit is extremely dangerous.

If this type of play was allowed in the game without consequences we would probably see Chara with a torn ACL/MCL within the month. The league is constantly evolving with discipline in the new NHL and I feel this sets a good precedent going forward. The key is they have to be consistent though.

As for Marchand, hopefully this will smarten him up. He is a very good young player who don't need to be doing that junk. It is okay to play on the edge but I hate it when he crosses the line like he did Saturday. I really hope he learns this time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]Its unfortunate that he actually asked ahead of time what the parameters were on the legality of this type of hit, and they told him it was OK if it was defensive.  You can call it low, dangerous, interference, whatever, but its definitely defensive to me.  Salo, a much bigger player, took a run at him and came in back-first. Marchand is getting lit up by his priors, and dont think the punching bag routine on a Sedin that he got away with in the Finals didnt infuriate the NHL.  So, we will swallow it.  maybe it calms some of the Bruins Bias claims by the crybabies, but I doubt it. I hate to think Gillis and Vaignault's crying influenced Shanny.  That would be disappointing.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Wow, don't change facts to fit your case.  Salo wasn't "taking a run" at Marchand.  It was a loose puck -- two players were going for it.  If anything, Marchand gets to the puck before Salo, and chooses to ignore it - instead making a conscious decision to low-bridge Salo.  There was nothing threatening coming from Salo -- no raised stick, nothing.  Salo going for the puck, Marchand going for the knees.  Also note the two punches Marchand throws to Salo's head just before they come together along the boards.  Marchand was on a mission that shift, and he succeeded.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 5 Games : I see contact with the knee. Whether 5 games is warranted or not is up for debate, but MAYBE this will smarten the kid up! When he plays hockey he's great, but when he plays on the line he almost always crosses it.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    But Nite, the line is there for a reason. Like PC said in his interview, players do dirty things and break the rules. That's why they have a rule book and a judiciary process. Suspending Marchand for a hit that wasn't at the knees is punishing him for almost breaking the rules. You guys are alright with that but I'm not. Especially after Cooke not being suspended for hitting Savard. The explanation was that it wasn't cleary defined as illegal by the current rules. I can accept that. Rules are rules. But now Marchand gets 5 for a borderline hit at best. And for Shanny to call it predatory is laughable since Cooke's hit was the definition of predatory. It just sounds like Shanny's making it up on the fly. You guys all hope he learns his lesson. Maybe missing 5 games and 152,000$ will do it but I agree with PC and don't want to see him change his game at all. He's got the most goals on the team and he's great on the PK. He's a big game player. He's a champion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 5 Games : Wow, don't change facts to fit your case.  Salo wasn't "taking a run" at Marchand.  It was a loose puck -- two players were going for it.  If anything, Marchand gets to the puck before Salo, and chooses to ignore it - instead making a conscious decision to low-bridge Salo.  There was nothing threatening coming from Salo -- no raised stick, nothing.  Salo going for the puck, Marchand going for the knees.  Also note the two punches Marchand throws to Salo's head just before they come together along the boards.  Marchand was on a mission that shift, and he succeeded.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]
    So you're saying that Salo was going for the puck while skating backwards?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 5 Games : Wow, don't change facts to fit your case.  Salo wasn't "taking a run" at Marchand.  It was a loose puck -- two players were going for it.  If anything, Marchand gets to the puck before Salo, and chooses to ignore it - instead making a conscious decision to low-bridge Salo.  There was nothing threatening coming from Salo -- no raised stick, nothing.  Salo going for the puck, Marchand going for the knees.  Also note the two punches Marchand throws to Salo's head just before they come together along the boards.  Marchand was on a mission that shift, and he succeeded.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Changing facts to fit your case...

Aren't you the guy who constantly comes here trying to sell your version of Aaron Rome's hit, that you studied frame-by-frame and continue to pretend was entirely legal?

Yeah, your version is exactly what I'm looking for.

I think Lee Harvey Oswald needs a publicist. Call him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 5 Games : Caron and Hamill are quietly pleased right now.

Exactly -- and the B's will benefit at playoff time if they have to deal with injuries (or more Shannynanigans). 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

[QUOTE]Its unfortunate that he actually asked ahead of time what the parameters were on the legality of this type of hit, and they told him it was OK if it was defensive.  You can call it low, dangerous, interference, whatever, but its definitely defensive to me.  Salo, a much bigger player, took a run at him and came in back-first. Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

End of story right there... that is not the behavior of a guy out to hurt someone! Why would anyone question his intent on the hit?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 5 Games : Changing facts to fit your case... Aren't you the guy who constantly comes here trying to sell your version of Aaron Rome's hit, that you studied frame-by-frame and continue to pretend was entirely legal? Yeah, your version is exactly what I'm looking for. I think Lee Harvey Oswald needs a publicist. Call him.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]
    I'll drink to that!!

Sections
Shortcuts