6 outdoor games scheduled for next year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

6 outdoor games scheduled for next year

This kind of slipped under the radar due to the events last week.

Jan. 1: Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium, Red Wings vs. Maple Leafs.

* Jan. 25: Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, Kings vs. Ducks.

* Jan. 26: Yankee Stadium in New York, Rangers vs. Devils.

* Jan. 29: Yankee Stadium in New York, Rangers vs. Islanders.

* Mar. 1: Soldier Field in Chicago, Penguins vs. Blackhawks.

* Mar. 2: BC Place in Vancouver, Senators vs. Canucks.

Personally, I hate overexposing something, but I'm sure they had the lost revenue from earlier this year in mind. Anyways I'll watch them from my living room. I think it's the only time hockey is better from your living room than actually going there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

Re: 6 outdoor games scheduled for next year

It's too many. It kind of loses some of its meaning if you overexpose it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

With that many I hope the magnitude of the event doesn't become over-saturated and have some of the lustre rub off.  Either way it's pretty cool to see the game outside in front of so many people.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

march 2 - and sorry my shift key is stuck so this in lower case - in van is not going to be an outdoor game. rain will be coming down in buckets, so they'll close the roof. that cheapens the idea even more for me. if you want a true outdoor game experience, put it in winnipeg in january. of course, that may have a death toll from hypothermia.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

With that many I hope the magnitude of the event doesn't become over-saturated and have some of the lustre rub off.  Either way it's pretty cool to see the game outside in front of so many people.

Disagree.  I think each team ought to have some designated outdoor games weathter permitting.  It would be tons of fun to have the Bruins play in Harvard Stadium or BC a couple of times a year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Disagree.  I think each team ought to have some designated outdoor games weathter permitting.  It would be tons of fun to have the Bruins play in Harvard Stadium or BC a couple of times a year.

I can see fans of whatever team packing these places and maybe even perhaps attracting some curious non-hardcore hockey fans who just want to be part of a special event of that size.  I'm saying I wouldn't want to risk any of the uniqueness attached.  You know what, BH? It'll probably sell out everytime. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I can understand why they are doing it, but it really loses it's luster for me with this approach.  I will make time for the Jan 1 game, but probably won't pay much attention to the others.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I guess the first one was kind of a curiosity, and I certainly understand the thought of maximising revenue potential...but the whole outdoor thing means little to me, and I can't see it meaning much to hardcore fans.

Unless someone feels it's more special to be included in a crowd of 50,000 instead of 17,000, I just don't get it.  The players are less comfortable, and the ice, and boards are different, all contributing to a lesser product.  Good seats are nowhere to be found, and there's little comfort for the fans.  I guess it's a lot easier to sneak that mickey in, wearing a parka, but it's more neccesity, than guilty pleasure.

Probably just my age.  Played plenty of "outdoor games" when I was a kid(all of em actually), and the memories are more about frozen hands, feet and fretting over weather.  Never forget my first game in a shiney new arena though...artificial ice, warm dressing rooms with bathrooms/showers.  About age 8.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

Initially, I loved the outdoor games when it was the Winter Classic then the Heritage game and the odd college game but now playing outdoors several times in one season is starting to ruin it for me. 

I missed the Flers/Bruins game at Fenway but attended the BU/BC game and the Big Chill in Ann Arbor. I liked the novelty and the new experience and I hope that colleges and the NHL do go all outdoor happy over the next few years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Disappointing.

The Winter Classic has been just cool enough to cover up how gimmicky the whole concept can be (not the least of which is calling it a "Classic" at its inception).

Now, like all successful things these days it is going to be exploited mercilessly.  I think it will become somewhat boring, like the once great Sox-Yankees matchups that now happen 19 times a year, before the playoffs.  People might just realize that they are spending a ton of money for terrible seats and a bad view of a regular season game in the freezing cold, once the luster wears off.

Bettman is like Lenny petting the rabbits -- he just can't control himself until he smothers the whole thing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

$$$.( 100k+)expected for Mich u game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Bettman is like Lenny petting the rabbits -- he just can't control himself until he smothers the whole thing.

^ I like this! A lot!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I can see the reasoning behind doing it for one yr over the loss revenue, but if this is going to be a yearly thing? I think that's a little bit much & it takes the hype & glory away. I do wish they would do like 50 episodes of the 24/7 HBO on not just 2 teams, but a bunch of them thru-out the season. 

Sections
Shortcuts