6th Defenseman. Do we need help?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlankStares. Show BlankStares's posts

6th Defenseman. Do we need help?

Just looking for feedback from other fans. Anyone else concerned with the play of Joe Corvo? I realize we dont have the best stock in the minors right now and the possibility of a trade would seem thin, but I think they need help.

His passes out of the D zone can be awful and he gets turned around fairly frequently.

Scares me.

p.s. How sweet is it to be looking at the team and be concerned about the 6th defenseman??? Woot!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Re: 6th Defenseman. Do we need help?

stop talking hockey in a political/religious forum.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Re: 6th Defenseman. Do we need help?:
    stop talking hockey in a political/religious forum.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

Touche!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Hopefully he smartens up come playoff time, most of his mistakes are mental, almost like he lacks focus.

Quaider and Boychuck kinda scared me around this time last year, but they've turned it around. Thing is Corvo is like 35, not a rookie like Mcquaid was...

Yeah, he is pretty scary..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Hopefully he smartens up come playoff time, most of his mistakes are mental, almost like he lacks focus. Quaider and Boychuck kinda scared me around this time last year, but they've turned it around. Thing is Corvo is like 35, not a rookie like Mcquaid was... Yeah, he is pretty scary..
    Posted by Bisson1

I don't think it's a mental mistake that he's only thrown 17 hits this year (coincidentally the same as Kaberle).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: 6th Defenseman. Do we need help? : I don't think it's a mental mistake that he's only thrown 17 hits this year (coincidentally the same as Kaberle).
    Posted by dezaruchi

Obviously a mistaken number based on the opposition running into Kaberle with him getting credit for the hit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

i think a trade for defense is almost a certainty, i don't know where the OP heard otherwise

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Any team could use a starting top 6 D man. But at what price ? Hopefully not a roster player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: 6th Defenseman. Do we need help? : Obviously a mistaken number based on the opposition running into Kaberle with him getting credit for the hit.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

That could certainly explain it. I still thought Corvo'd be more physical than he's been though. I seriously think he makes plays according to what he can do without making/taking any contact.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I'm fine with all the D, but I think we'll pick up one because we need a spare.  One name that keeps popping into  my head is Lubomir Visnovsky.  Chara's fellow Slovak is a left-shooting D who is also one of the highest-scoring in the league. He would be awesome to get, though his cap hit is high and lasts through next season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlankStares. Show BlankStares's posts

Visnovsky's cap hit is 5.6 mil.

The Bs could get that under.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yeah, but next year might be an issue.

Visnovsky's cap hit is 5.6 mil. The Bs could get that under.
    Posted by BlankStares

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

But he could be dealt this summer or next season. PC could also say sayonara to Ference (not saying give AF the boot just an option), not resign Corvo (obvious) and have Hamilton's rookie contract to ease the burden of Visnovsky's cap hit as an option till 2013.

The only fear I see Chiarelli having Oates is he doesn't know what the cap will be set at coming out of the new CBA.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

The Bruins could use one more bottom 5-6 dman to push guys like Ference, Boychuck, Corvo and McQuaid to be better.  If an injury hits, the B's are in some serious trouble if all of a sudden you need a guy like Corvo to take on extra minutes.  Asking Corvo or even McQuaid to take on more than bottom paring minutes (like Kabby and McQauid in the 2011 playoff run) is troubling IMO.  After the top 6, we are very thin. 

I predict within two weeks, we'll see an addition to the backline without losing a roster player.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Bring back Sherrif Shane!

Jk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I dislike Corvo.  I would be content with a deal that involved subtracting Corvo for an upgrade move - like Visnovsky, but I don't know that Anaheim is in any way motivated to move him.

If you look at Anaheim's roster, the next highest scoring D is 19 yr old Cam Fowler, who, at -21, has the third worst plus/minus in the league ahead of Rick Nash and one of the guys KPD suggested could be the 7th D - Milan Jurcina.  The only other player on the Ducks who is double-digits minus is Getzlaf at -14.  Being the worst plus/minus player on your team says one thing, being 50% worse than the next worst player says another, and thenbeing more than a 100% worse than the third worst?  Well, let's just say that even if the Ducks wanted to get out from under Lubomir's contract, they don't have a lot of options.

Lydman and Beauchemin are decent veterans, but not top pairing guys - barely 3-4 guys.  Sbisa is still a kid.  Brookbank is a journeyman who probably shouldn't be more than your 6th D.  If the Ducks trade Vis. they'll need an NHL D return or you can bet they've bought into a complete rebuild.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

The Bs don't need a Visnovsky. Lydman  would do. His cap hit is doable if we want to keep him, especially if Corvo finds a new team next year. And Lydman could be a chip in a draft or summer deal. Certainly has some PO experience, which gives him a leg up over SK or AB.

Sections
Shortcuts