#7 D

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

#7 D

Lots of talk about who will win the #7 spot on D... but is Boychuk really guaranteed a top 6 spot?  I know he's a 'veteran' now, but even at his best he hasn't been that great.

I've only just now been able to watch any preseason action - and it was in snippets.  Does anyone have any observations on his play?  Or have the likes of Kampfer and Bartkowski simply not played well enough to make this an issue?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins6. Show Bruins6's posts

Re: #7 D

Kampfer played very well as Fluto pointed out.
    Very nice zone entrance on winning goal.
    Boychuk will keep his job though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Saw the headline and thought this was a thread about Ray pre-Espo-Number-Retirement.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Kampfer has been the best of the bunch fighting for a spot.
    Boychuk will come around and will keep his spot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Up until tonight all prognosticators had been saying it was Bartkowski winning the battle for #7 but what Kampfer did on the winning goal tonight, Matt can't do that. So the battle continues....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

I think Kampfer has #7 locked up. Just like I think Caron should be on that 3rd line wing come October 6th.

Also, strong game for Sauve.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

This was really Kampfers spot to lose considering he played almost half the season last year averaging around 17 minutes a game.

As for Boychuck, i think his roster spot is safe for now as Julien relies heavily on seniority. JB will really have to play himself out of a spot.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Any word on Kampfer's health? He's really taken a beating for being so young.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

In Response to Re: #7 D:
    [QUOTE]Any word on Kampfer's health? He's really taken a beating for being so young.
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you want to hear. I know about his well-publisized past but he's playing (well, might I add) and threw a few hits out there tonight.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

It's kinda too bad....the #7D won't get much playing time. I know pros are pros and they want to be in the NHL, but wouldn't you rather play every night until there's a regular spot?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

Johnny Boychuk is on the team, but he is definitely the weakest link.  He's a UFA at the end of the year, don't expect him back.  Dougie Hamilllllton???

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I personally like having Boychuck on the team for his physical play.  With him on the roster each pairing can have a guy who can play the body and a smaller player that can handle the puck.  If he can start to bury his shot that will be beneficial as well because he has a rocket.  With guys like Kampfer and Ferrence, you need to have somebody out there throwing their weight around like Chara, Boychuck and McQuaid often do

If not for his mental errors, I would really like him.  But he adds a dimension to our D that helps the team in the same way that Ferrence does.  For both players and their respective prices their positives outweigh their negatives

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I think JB physical play keeps him at 6 and as we all know ( touch wood ) there can be injuries and I really liked Kampfers play before and seeing him play last night reminded me why. Its great to have the depth at D which really is kinda thin.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]It's kinda too bad....the #7D won't get much playing time. I know pros are pros and they want to be in the NHL, but wouldn't you rather play every night until there's a regular spot?
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]
    I think McQuaid is a good example of what you can do with the opportunity of being the 7th D.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Cannot really argue with all points made, but let's remember that there were 7 goals against from Boychuck's coverage zone during end of the playoffs. He has now played 2 full seasons, and if you can't lead him to water, isn't he ripe for replacement. Many of us loved Kamfer's speed and play last year, not so much Bartkowski's. Now there is also Cohen who will start in Providence, but has size, speed, and awareness that is continuing to grow. Plus, I believe he's only 22.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Didn't see the game last night but one observation made after checking out the boxscore was the Habs roster only appeared to have 6 regulars in the lineup + Price.  Bruins had 11 regulars dressed + Rask (not counting either Kampfer or Bartowski as regulars).

Point is, it seems pretty tough to gauge a players effectiveness at the NHL level when they are playing against mostly prospects or minor leaguers.  These fringe guys will either crap or get off the pot once the real season begins.  I expect a few guys to get auditions for the #7 role over the first 20 games or so.  I also wouldn't rule out the Bruins signing a veteran to act as the #7 and keep management company in the press box.  I don't like the idea of a young player spending too much time in his suit on game day.  Better off playing a regular shift in the AHL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Good points about his physical play - Kampfer isn't a cream-puff and I have no idea about Bartkowski or Cohen, but I doubt any of them can bring the kind of timely hits Boychuk is capable of.  That probably keeps him in the lineup.  The good news is that for once the Bruins can afford (cap-wise) to keep a couple extra guys (or possibly sign a vet, though I don't know who - Hnidy?) around.  There's bound to be injuries so I guess we will see who rises to the occasion.  Hmm... someone will have to get hurt December 3rd against the Leafs.  That way Barkowski can get his mandatory game against Pittsburgh.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

DrCC...scratch hnidy from your list, he's a color guy for the jets this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]DrCC...scratch hnidy from your list, he's a color guy for the jets this year.
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]
    That's a relief.  I have to think there are better options than him.  I guess capgeek isn't too careful with their UFA list.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I like Kampfer in that spot. He has potential to grow. I wouldn't mind seeing him fight for a starter spot. Keeps the starters honest.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Cannot really argue with all points made, but let's remember that there were 7 goals against from Boychuck's coverage zone during end of the playoffs. He has now played 2 full seasons, and if you can't lead him to water, isn't he ripe for replacement. Many of us loved Kamfer's speed and play last year, not so much Bartkowski's. Now there is also Cohen who will start in Providence, but has size, speed, and awareness that is continuing to grow. Plus, I believe he's only 22.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Boychuk was on the ice for only 3 goals against out of the 8 goals scored by Vancouver in the finals by my count. Where are you getting the 7 goals from ?

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/gamelog.htm?season=20102011&gameType=3

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Boychuk should be safe with a top 6 spot.  Kampfer is clearly the front runner for the #7 spot, which (as Dez pointed out) can very easily turn into a full time role with a couple injuries and some solid play (McQuaid style).

I can't think of who else is in the running frankly.
    Bartkowski has had a lousy camp.  He needs a year in the AHL.
    McKelvie looks pretty good so far, but he clearly needs a year of AHL, after all the time off.
    Hamilton, juniors
    Alexandrov, KHL
    Cohen has looked solid to me, simple game, I think he's the #8 guy, but AHL
    Button, not ready, year of AHL needed.
    Warsofsky, not ready, AHL
    Bodnardchuk, not ready, AHL
    No one else in the running.

Sections
Shortcuts