$7,000,000 scoring touch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: $7,000,000 scoring touch

I would pass.  Too much cost in the trade, too much cost in the salary, an unsettling downward curve in production, and a seemingly uncompetitive attitude at times.

But if he came, I would still be excited.  Tons of talent.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm not saying trade away the team to get him, if he came her I'd love it and he'd win over a ton of people here. Just imagine that duo of Seguin/Nash for years to come. Put those two together and they each top 100 points on a regular basis. Still have Marchand,Bergeron,Lucic,Horton etc.. My guess is it would take Rask/Krejci/Spooner and a 1st with Columbus adding another player, most likely Mason. They'll ask for Hamilton, my guess is Chiarelli says no...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to Re: $7,000,000 scoring touch:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: $7,000,000 scoring touch : No. I am questioning his talent in relation to salary and what player/s would be moved in order to get him.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    By the 2013-2014 season players like Koko, Knight and Spooner will be vying for roster spots, so as much as I hate to say it, Horton.  That becomes Nash's position along side DK and Looch.  Kelly's gone too.  And as long as Chiarelli doesn't over pay for players due raises next year, the numbers work, especially if the cap goes up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: $7,000,000 scoring touch : By the 2013-2014 season players like Koko, Knight and Spooner will be vying for roster spots, so as much as I hate to say it, Horton.  That becomes Nash's position along side DK and Looch.  Kelly's gone too.  And as long as Chiarelli doesn't over pay for players due raises next year, the numbers work, especially if the cap goes up.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]
    PC could fit him in under the cap right now if he wants to. My question is whether or not he's worth it. You guys are talking like he's a perennial 50 goal scorer when he actually has yet to match Glen Murray's best year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: $7,000,000 scoring touch : PC could fit him in under the cap right now if he wants to. My question is whether or not he's worth it. You guys are talking like he's a perennial 50 goal scorer when he actually has yet to match Glen Murray's best year.
    Glen had Jumbo and Savvy feeding him pucks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to $7,000,000 scoring touch:
    [QUOTE]The Bruins don't have anyone that can snipe like Rick Nash. This is the kind of skill and touch that wins playoff games. Exhibit A - Top of the circle Exhibit B - Off the rush You trade for players like this when they become available.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

Hey Bim

BDC is the only place where fans take praise of an elite talent like Rick Nash as some type of critique of the Bruins roster ??? 

Rick Nash is lethal

Like I said in another post

Nash put up 41 goals in his second year. That led the NHL, He was only 19 which made him the youngest player ever to do that. I think it would be fair to say that he wasn't exactly playing for a defending Stanley Cup winning caliber team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: $7,000,000 scoring touch : Glen had Jumbo and Savvy feeding him pucks.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]
    Bim, I should clarify that I like Nash as a player. I'm just wary of bringing in a contract that's higher than Chara's with less of a guaranteed return. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to $7,000,000 scoring touch : Hey Bim BDC is the only place where fans take praise of an elite talent like Rick Nash as some type of critique of the Bruins roster ???  Rick Nash is lethal Like I said in another post Nash put up 41 goals in his second year. That led the NHL, He was only 19 which made him the youngest player ever to do that. I think it would be fair to say that he wasn't exactly playing for a defending Stanley Cup winning caliber team.
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]
    Who said Nash wasn't good? Most posters I see are critical of his contract, not his skill-set. Is being tied for the goal-scoring lead in the weakest offensive season in NHL history really something to hang your hat on? Is it odd that he's never matched that total again? You realize it was 8 years ago right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: $7,000,000 scoring touch : Who said Nash wasn't good? Most posters I see are critical of his contract, not his skill-set. Is being tied for the goal-scoring lead in the weakest offensive season in NHL history really something to hang your hat on? Is it odd that he's never matched that total again? You realize it was 8 years ago right?
    I dont care about his contract. Playing with a decent center his potential to score 40-60 is a lot higher than him scoring 20-30. The other thing is his game breaking ability. I think Nash is just as lethal as Eric Stall with more finesse. Nobody knows what the future may bring. The B's are not going to end up in Oiler land making a move for Nash. However, if PC decides to stand pat & wait for the off season & he picks up a Suter, or a Parise? I'd be totally happy with that move.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: $7,000,000 scoring touch:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: $7,000,000 scoring touch : Hamrlik has only one year left at 3.5.... but i have a feeling that PC will go after his chubby Czechmate instead, Jaro Spacek....
    Posted by days-of-Orr[/QUOTE]

So that is through 2013 not this summer. I'd be ok with either depending on the price. Allen from Carolina would be some great thumping size for depth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: $7,000,000 scoring touch : I dont care about his contract. Playing with a decent center his potential to score 40-60 is a lot higher than him scoring 20-30. The other thing is his game breaking ability. I think Nash is just as lethal as Eric Stall with more finesse. Nobody knows what the future may bring. The B's are not going to end up in Oiler land making a move for Nash. However, if PC decides to stand pat & wait for the off season & he picks up a Suter, or a Parise? I'd be totally happy with that move.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    Nite, I also understand what folks see in Nash. I'm just not sold on his ability to elevate his game to a new level after he leaves the BJ's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: $7,000,000 scoring touch : Nite, I also understand what folks see in Nash. I'm just not sold on his ability to elevate his game to a new level after he leaves the BJ's.

You don't think he'll be better on a better team? What gives you that impression?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: $7,000,000 scoring touch : You don't think he'll be better on a better team? What gives you that impression?
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Tell me about other good players on bad teams that elevated their games with better players and less ice time. I'm sure it happens. I just can't think of enough examples to lead me to think it's a sure thing and for 7.8 per, it should be.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

If only the NHL CBA allowed teams to restructure players contracts...I'd LOVE Nash at around a $6.5 Million cap-hit.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Lots of talent, but there is no guarantee he gets better results in Boston than in Columbus.  Think Gaborik and Richards for a recent example.  Gaborik hadn't played with a distributor as talented as Richards, and there was all sorts of talk about how Richards would make Gaborik deadly.  Problem was the fit wasn't there.  Gaborik and Richards are both better when they carry the puck and there's only one puck.  Even with Thornton, Nash hasn't been a Brett Hull type of scorer who gets open for one timers.  He carries the puck and attacks the net.  He can be a float and fire sniper, but you're not getting the best of him if that's the game he's looking to play.  He's played under Hitch, so you imagine he can be responsible, but does that mean he can put up big numbers in the Bruins system?

bim's original point about getting these guys when they become available sounds like common sense, but the goal is build the best team, not acquire the best players.  A Rask and Hamilton deal is a huge risk, and anything more is probably foolish.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]If only the NHL CBA allowed teams to restructure players contracts...I'd LOVE Nash at around a $6.5 Million cap-hit.
    Posted by Hockguy0818[/QUOTE]
    This, I can certainly agree with. My only problem with Nash is his cap-hit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Cap hit is too much.  There's no way you'd be able to retain your core.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

So you're going to trade conservatively Tuukka and Dougie Hamilton and then you get to pay Nash 7.8 mil a year to score as much as Marchand?

Obviously we would be stupid if we didn't want Rick Nash, but trading so much for him and having to deal with that cap hit is so not worth it, it's not even funny...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Everything is wrong with this:

Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]
    Actually closer to $8 (7.8)

[QUOTE]The Bruins don't have anyone that can snipe like Rick Nash.

Yes they do:

Exhibit Ahttp://www.nesn.com/2011/11/tyler-seguins-hard-work-reflected-in-his-increasingly-powerful-accurate-shot.html
    One timer, top of circle.
    Exhibit B
    http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8473419&fr=false Snipe off rush, with a nice takeaway to boot.

This is the kind of skill and touch that wins playoff games.
    -No, that is the kind of skill that wins meaningless regular season games for a non-playoff team.

Exhibit A - Top of the circle
    Weak wrist shot really.
    Exhibit B - Off the rush
    Nice goal, almost as nice as Pouliot's the other night. 

You trade for players like this when they become available.
    No, you trade for players like this if it makes sense. If they have an acceptable cap hit for what they bring to the team, if what you are giving up is less valuable than what you are getting, if it addresses a team need. None of that applies to the Bruins and Rick Nash. The Bruins have the best top-6 forwards in the league and the highest scoring offence. They have a full handful of skilled scorers and guys who can hit 30 or more, not to mention a guy that will probably be scoring 40 or 50 in the near future. They all have reasonable cap hits.

The Bruins need a solid skill guy for the 3rd line and good third pairing defenceman. They don't need a 1st line winger with an inflated contract because he was the face of a franchise and a 1st overall pick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

[QUOTE]Everything is wrong with this:[/QUOTE]$7,000,000 scoring touch : Actually closer to $8 (7.8) [QUOTE]The Bruins don't have anyone that can snipe like Rick Nash. Yes they do: Exhibit A :  http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/tyler-seguins-hard-work-reflected-in-his-increasingly-powerful-accurate-shot.html One timer, top of circle. Exhibit B :  http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8473419&fr=false Snipe off rush, with a nice takeaway to boot . This is the kind of skill and touch that wins playoff games. -No, that is the kind of skill that wins meaningless regular season games for a non-playoff team. Exhibit A - Top of the circle Weak wrist shot really. Exhibit B - Off the rush Nice goal, almost as nice as Pouliot's the other night.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    Seguin's one timer was right into the goalie, not skillfully placed in a corner like Nash did and Stamkos does.
    You really think a snipe from the slot is as good as a 45 ft drifter from just inside the blue line? Are you alright?

I'm glad your not scouting for the Bruins - and if you are, God help us all.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]The Bruins don't have anyone that can snipe like Rick Nash. This is the kind of skill and touch that wins playoff games. Exhibit A - Top of the circle Exhibit B - Off the rush You trade for players like this when they become available.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

Bim, your dreaming. Your fantasizing.

Rick Nash - playoff games played: 4
    Rick Nash - playoff games won:  zero.

Zero, Bim. Nada. All this for $7,000,000: priceless.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: $7,000,000 scoring touch : Tell me about other good players on bad teams that elevated their games with better players and less ice time. I'm sure it happens. I just can't think of enough examples to lead me to think it's a sure thing and for 7.8 per, it should be.
    Ron Francis, Scott Niedermyer, Chris Pronger, Marc Savard? Martin St. Louis, Brett Hall, Adam Oates, Cam Neely, Rick Middleton? Some of them got more ice time, but some of them we're also considered expendable. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I personally would rather have that other D-man to help Z. Thought of a Suter here is no different than a Nash. I would pay Suter $6.5 to get him here. In my heartest of hearts I think there's a far more pressing need to get Chara some help then it is the forwards. The B's play a great system that has proven to be effective against team with offense. The B's have proven they can win down top 6 forwards, but I don't think they'd survive without Chara. They need something to help take away some of his responsibilites. Weber, or Suter in that order is what I think this team needs more than anything else. When I calm down & think about it. I know this isn't going to happen this season, but if PC is going to stand pat & make a move in the off season. I hope this is one he tries to make.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Here is a interesting stat:

Even in junior hockey Rick Nash was a minus player. Look it up!

Do you need flashing lights and sirens to warn you of the impending danger of having this guy on your hockey club?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

The last Bruin to score from this spot was Micheal Ryder. There's no one on the team right now (aside from maybe Horty) with the kind of strength, power and touch it takes to beat an NHL goalie from 45ft.