7th Player Award?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: 7th Player Award?

In Response to Re: 7th Player Award?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7th Player Award? : You asked- I answered.  We'll have to agree to disagree on McQuaid, as well as, Marchand and Rask. I will agree on Campbell, as I think he has been one of the best Bruins over the past month, regardless of production. 
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

The dang jury is STILL out on Rask.  I am dying for that guy to put up the numbers we hope he can.  The team needs him to, because Thomas isn't getting any younger and if not him then whom?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Above and beyond expectations is the meaning of the award. I pick Marchand followed by McQuaid and Campbell. They are the players who have exceeded my expectations. Marchand and McQuaid I didn't even think would make the team come October. Campbell has been the catalyst for an improved 4th line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I'm going to stick with Marchand if he sticks to what he was going to get 19 goals. 
    If Marchand blows it with a rat tactics then I would see Campbell.
    Important in faceoffs, kills penalties and sticks up for his teammates.  Maybe his point totals don't matchup but isn't what he does why there is a 7th player award ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

The more I think about this the more I think Campbell should get it. Both McQuaid and Marchand are rookies so expectations should be low as we have no gauge in which to compare what they are doing this season as opposed to any previous one. Campbell has been around a few years so this makes it simpler. He has truly played above and beyond my expectations of him.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I for one wasn't expecting Tim Thomas to play the way he has this year, heck they tried to get rid of him. While Marchand has decent numbers he really only had the one good month. TT has been stellar all year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Above and beyond expectations is the meaning of the award. I pick Marchand followed by McQuaid and Campbell. They are the players who have exceeded my expectations. Marchand and McQuaid I didn't even think would make the team come October. Campbell has been the catalyst for an improved 4th line.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Instead of wasting time here, and dedicating another sig line to me, why not address the important topic.  You know, the attack threads that you started?   Yeah, they're waiting for you.

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion%3ab95ec70d-a8fb-47e2-833b-7bf6b7a35997&plckCurrentPage=4

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

putting aside NAS being a tool, McQuaid should be in the discussion. However, consider Thomas, I expected him to be the back up this year, not a vezina candidate 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

In Response to 7th Player Award?:
    [QUOTE]This has to be the toughest year to make a decision as there are so many players deserving. Marchand  - leading plus minus record of any rookie in the league; plays on the penalty kill, scores; second in short handed goals; a 4th liner energy guy promoted to regular 2nd and 3rd line duty. Campbell  - only 2 goals last year to 12 goals this year; gives the B's a viable contributing 4th line that would be a 3rd line on many other teams; excellent on face offs and rarely gets tossed; does the dirty work and helps to protect team mates; excellent forechecker and especially  in the crucial minute following a goal for or against. MacQuaid - great shot blocker; excellent at the rough stuff when needed; rarely out of position; a regular in his rookie season and has risen from the 7th "D" man to a # 5 or possibly a # 4. Heck you can even make a case for Lucic (above and beyond in the goal scoring scenario) Krejci (a number 3 center rising to be the number 1 guy)  Thomas (all but washed up and # 2 behind Rask at the beginning of the year) and Boychuk (who may not be scoring as much as he can - but does do the timely hit or block shots and protects his goalie and team mates. Let's get a debate going
    Posted by Devanjan[/QUOTE]

Ver good post. I would have to go with Marchand did any of you expect this from the rookie? He has strugled some of late but the overall body of work for the season I think he should win the award. He has been a key and valuable member of the team this year.

I also wouldn't have a problem with campbell or thorton winning it. Both have been there all season answering the bell for fights and sticking up for teamates. They have both added more goals than most would think from 4th line grinders.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]I for one wasn't expecting Tim Thomas to play the way he has this year, heck they tried to get rid of him. While Marchand has decent numbers he really only had the one good month. TT has been stellar all year.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    i agree kelvana but  were i am jammed up is when thomas signed his last deal i was one of many that thought it was to long and too much money. now this year he has earned every dime of it with his play and i am wrong about the contract. so that is were i am confused i guess he has played up to his contract but does that make him a candidate for 7th player?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7th Player Award? : i agree kelvana but  were i am jammed up is when thomas signed his last deal i was one of many that thought it was to long and too much money. now this year he has earned every dime of it with his play and i am wrong about the contract. so that is were i am confused i guess he has played up to his contract but does that make him a candidate for 7th player?
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold[/QUOTE]

Good point, but sometimes this award doesnt go to the 7th player as it should, sometimes its a popularity contest. Maybe TT doesnt qualify but after last year I say he has exceeded expectations, along with Marchand and McQuaid. As far as TT's contract, when they signed him, it did seem a little too long but, I was real happy for him. A great guy who paid his dues and he earned it the hard way. i don't care who your favorite team is Tim Thomas is a hard guy not to root for, I love youtubing his vezina speech how he states for the longest time he was just trying to get his name on a roster..awesome

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]+/- couldn't matter less.  Kessel was +something high. Three goals and 11 assists is not decent. +/-, again, doesn't matter and leading the defense in PIM is no accolade. The other two are slightly skewed due to the revolving door of Ference, Stuart, Hunwick, and Kampfer all playing parts of the season.  I suppose that lends some credibility to McQuaid as a valuable defenseman, but let's not pretend that he's played great, or even well.  He's a slow moving, poor shooting, poor passing, sometimes hard hitting, tough defenseman.  I doubt he'll ever be about the third pairing on any team. That doesn't get an award from me. I expect it to go to Marchand because he was bananas for two months and was the talk of the town.  I would prefer it to go to Campbell.  Campbell's points aren't up, but I had no idea he was this reliable and versitaile.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    I didn't expect Mcquaid to dress for more than 20-25 games so yeah,he's exceeded expectations.His proving he was a viable 3rd pairing option made it more comfortable for PC to move Stuart and his  expiring contract.Add to that the fact he's now killing penalties and you've got a worthy 7th player candidate(your boy Marchand wins by a landslide).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7th Player Award? : I didn't expect Mcquaid to dress for more than 20-25 games so yeah,he's exceeded expectations.His proving he was a viable 3rd pairing option made it more comfortable for PC to move Stuart and his  expiring contract.Add to that the fact he's now killing penalties and you've got a worthy 7th player candidate(your boy Marchand wins by a landslide).
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I love the fact that so many players have exceeded different people's expectations.  Most years, it's very obvious, but this year the field appears wide open.  I guess that's one of the reasons they're in third in the conference!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7th Player Award? : I love the fact that so many players have exceeded different people's expectations.  Most years, it's very obvious, but this year the field appears wide open.  I guess that's one of the reasons they're in third in the conference!
    Absolutely right my man!A winning formula includes multiple players exceeding expectations.It makes up for some of the disappointing numbers put up by other guys.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]Can anyone tell me why McQuaid is even mentioned here?  He's done nothing more than get in a few fights and be a distant #6 quality defenseman.
    Well,I must be watching a different guy .I think McQuaid has been one of the B's best D all year long.His plus /minus is outstanding.He skates well for a big guy and moves the puck.I would have given the 7th player award to Marchand say a month ago but his play has slipped lately.I would give it to McQuaid.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7th Player Award? : Well,I must be watching a different guy .I think McQuaid has been one of the B's best D all year long.His plus /minus is outstanding.He skates well for a big guy and moves the puck.I would have given the 7th player award to Marchand say a month ago but his play has slipped lately.I would give it to McQuaid.  
    Posted by DallasSmith[/QUOTE]

A great +/- and "skates well for a big guy" don't really hold much water for me.  He does move the puck, but usually it ends up on the tape of an opponent.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Your Seventh Player Award Nominee just threw it out front of the net...to a Flyer...for a goal.  I know a lot of people love McQuaid, but honestly, if you watch the games, you'll see how many of his passes end up on the opposition's stick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Didn't see this post coming.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Didn't see this post coming.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

And I didn't see this one coming either!  As I was typing it, I figured you'd give it to me.  Good stuff.

Honestly, however, things like this do go unnoticed by some (or many, or most considering the posts here).  He's a good third pairing defenseman, but outside of the minimal +/- and the fights, he really isn't much more.  Of course, I'd much rather have him out there instead of Bartkowski!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Not a strong 1st period for McQuaid, his pass at the end of the period got picked off and lead to the Bergeron penalty as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

i think at this point, my vote has to go to thomas

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Same play by Chara!  What's wrong with these guys? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]Same play by Chara!  What's wrong with these guys? 

not to belabor the point nas but start of season what were your expectations for mcquaid that the only thing i was saying. push comes shove i would vote marchand 1st but your right its a good thing that there are a alot of options. which means some guys did better than alot of people thought.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7th Player Award? : A great +/- and "skates well for a big guy" don't really hold much water for me.  He does move the puck, but usually it ends up on the tape of an opponent.
    He didn't have a good 1st period tonight,that's for sure ,but I still think the Bruins D is one of the better ones in the league.I think Montreal's backend will be their downfall in the playoffs.I don't think Gill,Mara,Subban ,Hamrlik ,etc .are solid in their own zone. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]Your Seventh Player Award Nominee just threw it out front of the net...to a Flyer...for a goal.  I know a lot of people love McQuaid, but honestly, if you watch the games, you'll see how many of his passes end up on the opposition's stick.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE] It's funny after that play I felt like I had egg on my face.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Your Seventh Player Award Nominee just threw it out front of the net...to a Flyer...for a goal.  I know a lot of people love McQuaid, but honestly, if you watch the games, you'll see how many of his passes end up on the opposition's stick.
    And here I thought he wouldn't turn the puck over again this year.