9 is not where the bruins want to be picking.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: 9 is not where the bruins want to be picking.

I know Giroux is a stud. I also know they would be getting a vezina goalie, who at his age still would give them the best shot at a cup.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

daub - re: Iginla the answer is no.  According to HNIC's Hot Stove, Feaster has been pretty clear that their plans do not include trading Iginla - he's the cornerstone and he played like it down the stretch even if it wasn't enough to drag the team out of the hole it dug in the first half.

kel - what makes you think Philly would come to their senses now?  I can think of a dozen reasons why they wouldn't make that deal even if I agreed that dropping Giroux and adding Thomas makes them better.  Start with giving up your best young forward for a rental (at 38, you have no idea how much longer he can play at this level) who may have two Vezinas at that point, but who has one playoff round win on his resume.  Add age, and the drop off in Thomas's performance when he was injured after his last Vez.  Add cap considerations because Thomas's hit is about $1.25M higher than Giroux's, and while they'd be dropping that much by deleting Leighton/Boucher, they'd still need to replace a top line forward, re-sign Leino at a chunky raise, and fill out the roster.  And they're already close to even the $62M+ cap figure at just under $59M for next year with only 18 players under contract.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Good points Book, but keep in mind, The B's don't have to trade TT. Unlike last summer if he was dealt they wuld need something in return. Maybe Giroux is too high, but I do see a match with Philly, particularly if they falter in the playoffs. Giroux s a steep price tag, thats why I had the 9th overrall pick going their way but they have to give something of value, not just because it's TT but for the reason you stated, the cap. Who knows, if Vancouver is ousted they may be a landing spot for Luongo, I assure you he won't be happy about his status in Vancouver..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

9 is harder than 15.  15 is almost perfect for trading.  It's the last pick of the first half of the first round - so a solid mid-rounder that's neither so high that you'll hear the I told you sos if the player picked turns into a star nor so low that teams are reluctant to part with significant assets to acquire it. 

Dealing the #9 sort of depends on who's there at 9.  If Murphy falls or Strome, if Hamilton's there or by some fluke Couturier or Huberdeau, you'd get some calls and some tempting offers I'm sure.  If you get a winger to replace Recchi or play with Krejci and Horton (moving Lucic down to replace Recchi on the second line), maybe you jump.  On D, you'd have to get someone who's a significant upgrade on Boychuk, because three of the top four will be Kaberle (assuming), Seidenberg, and Chara, and the bottom pair will be Ference and McQuaid/Kampfer for cap reasons as much as anything else.

So - hang on to it until the draft and if no one knocks your socks off, keep it.  I almost prefer to draft the best kid available at #9 and go through camp to see if another of the Providence/Junior guys can step up in that role, and then, if they don't, or if you simply wanted to, you could shop the kid you've just picked or any of the other prospects.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I think draft picks are a lot more valuable than people are realizing in this NHL. Sure, by trading the pick, you can get a solid veteran or a guy at his peak. But you're paying for it in salary and trade compensation. 

I say keep the draft pick (i.e. lottery ticket) as you don't invest a ton of cap space on draft picks so if you miss, no big deal. You miss on a FA signing or on a trade where you overpay and it hamstrings you for years.

Next year, I'm happy with Luc, Krejic, Horton and Bergeron, Marchand, Seguin as the top 2 lines with Peverley, Kelly, Caron as the third pair and Thornton, Camp, Paille.

What is needed is help on the blue line and I'd rather sign a role player or see if McQuaid and Kampfer grow into the role.

If I were the Bruins, I'd see if I can sign a top UFA defenseman or left winger to a 3 year deal at a top salary and then see how it plays out.

The Bs have been blessed with a bunch of high draft picks. To give them away in the offseason doesn't make much sense after you just had to give up Colborne and a 1st for Kaberle - Fact is, you overpay for vets on the trade market and I don't see the need to do it if you're the Bs.

For Parise or another top RFA, sure, but I don't see many of them moving in the offseason.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I like Laich, too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

9 can't be any worse than 2!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Nothing wrong with stockpiling your organization with quality prospects (chips)."

Bingo and while Spooner, Knight, Arniel, Sauve are getting better you grab a Siemens or a Hamilton then wait as they grow into a good NHL player.

If PC gets blown away by a nice offer sure but it had better be real good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: 9 is not where the bruins want to be picking.:
    [QUOTE]as long as we dont draft another zach hamill. im looking for the bruins to draft a franchise cornerstone defenseman
    Posted by geez77[/QUOTE]

Bah, I cant find the comment from PC, but I do remember him saying they would avoid Project picks from here on out ala' Colbourne/Hamill.

Itd be great to trade into the top 5 for a chance at either of the Swedes they are both big enough to make the team out of camp next year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]Good points Book, but keep in mind, The B's don't have to trade TT. Unlike last summer if he was dealt they wuld need something in return. Maybe Giroux is too high, but I do see a match with Philly, particularly if they falter in the playoffs. Giroux s a steep price tag, thats why I had the 9th overrall pick going their way but they have to give something of value, not just because it's TT but for the reason you stated, the cap. Who knows, if Vancouver is ousted they may be a landing spot for Luongo, I assure you he won't be happy about his status in Vancouver..
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

You're probably right, kel: everyone and their dog sees a match between Philly and a proven goaltender at this point - except Homer.  That franchise has tried every retread and B-option in the book since dealing Hextall, and I just don't see them ever coming to their senses.  And if the goal is to win while Thomas is still a viable #1, it would be hard for them to fill the gap Giroux would need.  The #9 sure won't step in and fill that void.  I could see Philthy moving picks to get a goalie, and that might convince Vancouver to make a deal for one of their goalies.  They might feel they have to deal Luongo in favour of the younger, less tainted Schneider if they complete their gag.  I kind of hope they do - the Bruins would only have held the mantle of "the last team to blow a 3-0 series lead" for about 11 1/2 months.

But I think we're off-base a bit, because this sounds more like a "Trade Thomas" thread than a "what to do with #9" thread.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I didn' want a Trade Thomas thread. The more I think about it maybe Philly would have their eyes set on goalies like Rask and Schneider..To get Thomas or Luongo they would have to deal money,which means one of the high end forwards, I bet they get creative, I mean they have to, all that scoring and it gets washed away with journeymen goaltending.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

At the end of the season, Jeff Carter for either goalie is a deal for me. I'd like to see Timmy retire a Bruin, but in terms of maximizing talent in the franchise, this deal would be too good to pass up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

Let's package Hamill and our 1st round pick to trade up into the top 5 and maybe nab someone like Larsson, Hamilton, or Landeskog..  We have plenty of depth at the center position and can afford to get rid of Hamill.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bailey77. Show bailey77's posts

I can't see why the Oilers wouldn't trade their #1 pick  for a seasoned power forward, they need help now

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

[QUOTE]I can't see why the Oilers wouldn't trade their #1 pick  for a seasoned power forward, they need help now
    Posted by bailey77[/QUOTE]

what?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Laich is a good player, but you are talking trade with Washington, and McFee is known as a tough negotiator. Who says he would even think of  a draft pick scenario for Laich

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bailey77. Show bailey77's posts

why not trade the #1 pick for an UFA? another rookie isn't going to help this franchise next year

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

yes but why are you talking about the oilers? what do they have to do with this? and no, they wouldn't trade the number 1 for a power forward

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'm getting fed up with the lot of you.

29 is not where the bruins want to be picking, ok?

9 ain't half bad.

9 is a non playoff team pick.

Far from an expert, but round about and in general probably picks 3-12 are round about equal.

There's a halfway decent chance that the player at 9 could turn out to be pretty darn good.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

there is a halfway decent chance the player at 9 could turn out to be pretty darn good....and i still say this is not where the bruins want to be picking. Either move up to the top 5 or get a roster player

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]there is a halfway decent chance the player at 9 could turn out to be pretty darn good....and i still say this is not where the bruins want to be picking. Either move up to the top 5 or get a roster player
    Posted by thedauber1[/QUOTE]

I see the odds of trading up getting less and less in the post lockout nhl.

I believe that's the way the business is run, they are trying to eliminate 'dynasties', the want the cup to circulate as much as possible.

With the cap, with as cheap as rookie/young players can be, plus they can be pretty big impact players, I just don't see how anyone gives up a high pick.

And think the Toronto/Kessel experience carved the rules out in stone from here on out.  The reasonable expecation was that Kessel would get them into the playoffs, if not the first year certainly the second.

A roster player, I see that as a possibility, but I hate to speculate on trades.  I don't think I have ever once seen a trade speculation happen - out of the literally hundreds, if not thousand+ I've read.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

As stated above, the remote chance of picking a top line forward or defenseman is always a trade worth making.  If Savard does not come back and the Bs bow out early in the playoffs, then the time to make that move is this summer.  Yet, it is remote!  No team is going to give up a Yandle or a Richards without having compeition from other teams .  So the 9th pick is perfect in my view, if the player is drafted and developed further. His worth is greater in the "potential" category down the line with a team close to or over the cap.  The Bs will undoubtedly keep Kaberle with a three year contract, friendly hopefully. Then if the stars align maybe the Bs will be lucky enough to trade for a bona fide sniper/scorer or dominating center.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

My point is I don't see why you would not want to pick at #9 and get another stud that will be here for 10+ years for a player that will be here for ~3-4.

If you think the Bs need another big goal scorer, fine, I just don't think trading for one is the solution especially if the center piece of the deal is the #9 pick. Yes I know that Hamil didn't live up to expectations but does that mean that we are going to pick another Hamil? I don't see how you make that leap in valuation.

If the Bs can get a guy like Parise for a package of picks and prospects, sure, go for it. I just don't see the use in overpaying like the Bs did for Kaberle as continually doing this kills the depth and talent of the organization making the window you have to be a contender even smaller.

I want a cup too, I just realize that you can't put all your eggs into the basket each year as the playoffs can be a crapshoot with goalie play.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

future draft picks are not prospects yet. kel has the right idea. let the f**in playoffs happen then there might be some action.

oh yeah 9 isnt bad.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Laich is a good player, but you are talking trade with Washington, and McFee is known as a tough negotiator. Who says he would even think of  a draft pick scenario for Laich
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]
    Bogie,Laich will be UFA.That's the only reason I brought him up.

Sections
Shortcuts