9 September 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

9 September 2011

The rookie camp schedule has been posted on the Bruins Blog for nearly 24 hours and yet the only action on this board is inexplicable nonsense about reality TV, fifty parallel Marchand contract threads, and sniping - lots of sniping (guilty).

Anyone planning to head to rookie camp?  Be good to see some of the prospects among what Chiarelli identified as that next tier of guys who have pro experience.  See if Spooner makes Hamill look like a bust again, if Knight or Sauve goes to the net more effectively etc.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: 9 September 2011

When Spooner and Sauve perform well in the rookie games against the Islanders is that an indication of how they would perform in the NHL ? I say no

When Spooner and Sauve perform well in pre-season games against a mixture of AHL players and NHL players trying not to have a season ending knee injury, Does that give Chiarelli a better indicator ? Yes much better than the rookie games.

In order for Spooner, Caron, Arniel and Sauve to unseat a Kelly or Pouliot they have to just have an unbelievable camp and pre-season. Not out of the question but a possibility. IMO the Bruins don't need a mucker, grinder Whitfield type on the 3rd line so I give Spooner and Sauve a legitimate shot. No disrespect to Caron, huge fan of his, but he did not impress when he went back down to Providence.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prob2236. Show prob2236's posts

Will Caron play in the rookie game this year or no?  Sauve is who im interested in watching.  I love this kid but unfortunatley dont see where he fits for at least another year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Baby steps.  Chiarelli identified a gap between two tiers, so first interesting competition is between the guys who are supposedly on that lower tier - still playing against amateurs - and those who are expected to be farther along.  So there's that internal competition, though how much weight it carries is a coaching decision.  Next step is how they look against prospects and AHLers, then the pre-season when, as you say, half the guys are just trying to get back to game speed and not get hurt in the process.  Mostly, I think these are pass/fail tests.  Do you look like a real player against prospects/AHLers?  Yes.  Against split squads of NHL regulars/AHLers/Prospects?  Yes.  Okay, now we're serious about what you might be able to deliver.  They'll have to pass that test before there's any thought of them displacing Kelly or Pouliot.

I hadn't though of this before, but I wonder if Kelly is vulnerable?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

What a great opportunity you guys have, to be able to attend the rookie camp. I for one, would be grateful, if someone would do some posting here, on what they have observed at rookie camp. That would really appreciated, thank you.  PS: I hope all the rookies make it hard on our coaching staff..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I like Kelly he served a purpose and serves a purpose a solid center. But because Kelly has moveable contract and teams can use a good defensive center, Yah I would say he'd better play well in camp. Julien would have to be blown away by Caron, Sauve, Arniel and Spooners defensive play to jettison Chris though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I was sure this was a 9/11 thread, and I was already thinking "c'mon Bookboy...here? now?"

Pleasant surprise.  I don't think that Kelly is vulnerable at all.  The Bruins were exceptionally lucky with injuries last year (save for Savard).  I don't think it is necessary for any of the prospects to make the team right out of the gate (unless Pouliot stinks up camp).  The injuries will come and Caron, Sauve, or whoever will be called upon early and often to cover the holes.  I think the B's will keep Kelly in the fold no matter what for depth, defense, faceoffs, etc.  I suppose if Seguin lights it up at the center position Kelly could lose some playing time, but there doesn't seem to be any reason for current roster guys to be getting squeezed out.

I think that sometimes in the rookie games, certain guys really stand out and you can take something away from that.  I thought Caron, Sauve, and Travis Hamonic stood out last year in the game that I watched.

I know that I can't wait for it though.  I love having the naive excitment of perceived talent override my basic sense of reason this time of year, so I can haphazardly declare that player X looks like a future star because he toe-dragged around an 18-year old defensemen on loan from Alabama-Huntsville.

Let the giddy overreactions begin!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Julien loves defensive minded players like Kelly far too much to let him go.  I honestly think the only one who is at risk of losing their spot is Pouloit.  Everybody else, Kelly and Thornton included has earned their spot on the team with their play last year.

Julien's love for defensive, grinding hockey over skilled players is maddening to many of us, but after last year who are we to complain

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Has anyone seen a list of the guys who will attend rookie camp?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Oh if Alabama-Huntsville plays the Redhawks in the frozen four look out Fletch LoL!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Ha, wouldn't be the first time I've had to eat my words here, Sandog.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: 9 September 2011:[QUOTE]Ha, wouldn't be the first time I've had to eat my words here, Sandog. Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

That's ok Fletch I caught hell for months from friends who went to Colorado College. At least on a discussion board or a blog it's from behind a keyboard not face to face LoL!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Fletch, you should make "Let the giddy over-reactions begin!" your signature line on Sept. 9th and leave it there until the first game of the season.  Peeerrrrrrfect.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: 9 September 2011:
    [QUOTE]When Spooner and Sauve perform well in the rookie games against the Islanders is that an indication of how they would perform in the NHL ? I say no When Spooner and Sauve perform well in pre-season games against a mixture of AHL players and NHL players trying not to have a season ending knee injury, Does that give Chiarelli a better indicator ? Yes much better than the rookie games. In order for Spooner, Caron, Arniel and Sauve to unseat a Kelly or Pouliot they have to just have an unbelievable camp and pre-season.Not out of the question but a possibility. IMO the Bruins don't need a mucker, grinder Whitfield type on the 3rd line so I give Spooner and Sauve a legitimate shot. No disrespect to Caron, huge fan of his, but he did not impress when he went back down to Providence.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

SDB what are you feelings on what will happen with the juniors ? I'd be happy to see them all play well but I would really like to see them get sent back. And that's what I think will happen. Don't rush the juniors . No need to . But like you said someone could have an unbelievable camp.

From an organizational standpoint this would be better . A strong team in the bigs with players fighting it out in the AHL trying to jump to the next level and some really talented players in junior. Chiarelli has done a great job.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I truly believe Chiarelli wants prospects to earn their stripes in the AHL first unless that player is a top 5 pick, Kessel and Seguin. What it is it Chowdah, 20 NHL games before a decision has to be made then send Spooner back to the OHL or he stays ?

My prediction is Spooner spends another season in the "O"...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]When Spooner and Sauve perform well in the rookie games against the Islanders is that an indication of how they would perform in the NHL ? I say no When Spooner and Sauve perform well in pre-season games against a mixture of AHL players and NHL players trying not to have a season ending knee injury, Does that give Chiarelli a better indicator ? Yes much better than the rookie games. In order for Spooner, Caron, Arniel and Sauve to unseat a Kelly or Pouliot they have to just have an unbelievable camp and pre-season. Not out of the question but a possibility. IMO the Bruins don't need a mucker, grinder Whitfield type on the 3rd line so I give Spooner and Sauve a legitimate shot. No disrespect to Caron, huge fan of his, but he did not impress when he went back down to Providence.
    San, I don't worry much about his AHL numbers. I know it doesn't make much sense but I think some guys are better NHL players even when they aren't great in the minors. For whatever reason, some player's skill-sets translate better in the show. I think Caron could be one of those unique players that could score at a higher clip with the big club.I'm also impressed that he led the Bruins forwards in PK time on ice during his quarter season with the big club.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]I was sure this was a 9/11 thread, and I was already thinking "c'mon Bookboy...here? now?" Pleasant surprise.  I don't think that Kelly is vulnerable at all.  The Bruins were exceptionally lucky with injuries last year (save for Savard).  I don't think it is necessary for any of the prospects to make the team right out of the gate (unless Pouliot stinks up camp).  The injuries will come and Caron, Sauve, or whoever will be called upon early and often to cover the holes.  I think the B's will keep Kelly in the fold no matter what for depth, defense, faceoffs, etc.  I suppose if Seguin lights it up at the center position Kelly could lose some playing time, but there doesn't seem to be any reason for current roster guys to be getting squeezed out. I think that sometimes in the rookie games, certain guys really stand out and you can take something away from that.  I thought Caron, Sauve, and Travis Hamonic stood out last year in the game that I watched. I know that I can't wait for it though.  I love having the naive excitment of perceived talent override my basic sense of reason this time of year, so I can haphazardly declare that player X looks like a future star because he toe-dragged around an 18-year old defensemen on loan from Alabama-Huntsville. Let the giddy overreactions begin!
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Excellent post....bold lettering in particular!  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]I truly believe Chiarelli wants prospects to earn their stripes in the AHL first unless that player is a top 5 pick, Kessel and Seguin. What it is it Chowdah, 20 NHL games before a decision has to be made then send Spooner back to the OHL or he stays ? My prediction is Spooner spends another season in the "O"...

10 or less . I like your thinking in your first line. The Bruins are in the position now to bring along their prospects slower then if they were a struggling team. Love it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Hey you never know Arniel could blow past all the other prospects. A little shocking but Jamie has come a long way over the past two years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The badhab was all over that as soon as it was anounced, but did not post about it because the badhab hates the big crowds that now show up and did not want to advertise.

The badhab longs for the good old days when the Bruins were struggling for a playoff spot, Ristuccia only had a few hard core bodies watching, you could approach players easily as they walked around bored between sessions.  The good old days.

Now there are billions of people.  ugh.

I'm going, notebook in hand, with an OPEN mind.  I will evaluate as honestly as I can.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

So - with complete bias? 

Just do me one favour - don't encourage Hope Solo posts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]So - with complete bias?  Just do me one favour - don't encourage Hope Solo posts.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I will abstain from Tommy Cross and anyone else any poster I respect says I'm bias against.  Posters I respect is almost everyone.

I apologize for encouraging the Hans So Low posts.  I was really frustrated with that crap myself and pursued the wrong tactic against them.

The Beavis and Butthead thread is buried and hopefully dead.

Quality control is pretty high right now.

I'd like to talk about Hamilton, Knight and Spooner - I have bias with them as well in that they impressed the heck out of me.  I'm practicing the Hamilton trick of throwing the poke check, but keeping your eye on the belly button at my pick up hockey games and I'm ashamed that I didn't think of doing that myself.  That's probably something they teach all the young uns nowadays.  Darn I wish I had a good coach.

Sections
Shortcuts