A Centreman? A Defenceman? Or both?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

A Centreman? A Defenceman? Or both?

"OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch reports if Marc Savard is out for the season the Bruins might have to go shopping for a center."

"SPECTOR’S NOTE: Reports out of Boston suggest the Bruins could use the available salary from Savard going back on LTIR to bolster their blueline depth as they could have enough within their organization to replace him at center…"

Wondering where 'enough' is going to come from. Short of starting Thomas at centre, Julien has tried every combination. Even with a 'healthy' Savard the Powerplay has been pretty anemic.
    Also, the pipeline between Boston and Providence hasn't exactly been flowing all year. This call-up of Hamill marks exactly the first time and only time a Centre - rookie or otherwise -  has been summoned from the Farm
    I don't see 'enough' 'at center' coming from within. With or without Hamill or Caron or Savard, the Forward Corps still needs something.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: A Centreman? A Defenceman? Or both?

Yes, the B's might have to go shopping for a center.

Krecji may or may not be a #1 center.  If Bergeron is moved up, someone is going to be needed to fill his shutdown center position.  If that player is Campbell (which is reasonable), someone needs to fill in for Campbell as the fourth line center.

This isn't news, it's logic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

How about a winger?
    Move Campbell to shut down, bring Arniel up and put him with Thornton & Paille or whoever.

In Response to Re: A Centreman? A Defenceman? Or both?:
    [QUOTE]Yes, the B's might have to go shopping for a center. Krecji may or may not be a #1 center.  If Bergeron is moved up, someone is going to be needed to fill his shutdown center position.  If that player is Campbell (which is reasonable), someone needs to fill in for Campbell as the fourth line center. This isn't news, it's logic.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

We need both, but I would replace center with forward in general.  Everyone on here talks about replacing 4th line guys etc, who cares about the 4th line and what's on it.  A teams 4th line should get spot duty, at best, especially in the playoffs (aka after PP's, PK's, 2 times a period max, once in 3rd). 

One or the other will help immensely this year, but if we really want to compete for a cup, we need both eventually.  This team needed a winger and a pp dman before savvy went down again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparkes. Show sparkes's posts

Jason arnott for paille and hamil

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]How about a winger? Move Campbell to shut down, bring Arniel up and put him with Thornton & Paille or whoever. In Response to Re: A Centreman? A Defenceman? Or both? :
    Posted by bandgbleeder[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure you understand how important Campbell is to the success of the fourth line.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Winger not center Wheeler can move to center because he is useless as a finisher. Defenseman forgone conclusion Chiarelli should've already made this move Leopold would be my first choice. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I like sparkes idea to get Arnott he is good  center and can play all roles PK PP and some grit with goal scoring. His value in return would be reasonable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It'll be hard to get both but not sure what PC has been scheming.
    PC has been looking for that defenseman since last season and I'm sure that's his priority.
    He will look into another center also but if it doesn't workout he knows he some centers in the system that cannot replace Savvy but might do the job (Seguin, Wheeler, Hamill ) . 
    What might happen is he finds himself a speedy winger (SanDog). 
    By the trade deadline I think there will be two new players on this team. pick two; A Center, winger or PMD.

Love to debate this but gotta go cheer for the Devils at the game .

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

I do, I absoloutely do. But he played a lot of 3rd line time (admittely in Florida) and I'm not sure he could he could look worse with more minutes than Krejci has of late.

Arniel isn't the scrapper that Campbell is, but he'd be better on the fourth line than Begin was any month after November. Arniel is faster, and while I'd rather enjoy seeing Thornton score, I'd rather see Ryder and Wheeler filling the net. And I can live with them getting more goals, even at the cost of less goals for Thornton and less fruitless rushes from Paille.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Centreman? A Defenceman? Or both? : I'm not sure you understand how important Campbell is to the success of the fourth line.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Frans Neilson in NY is an ideal 3rd line center who is more than cap. of playing against the top lines...and he is amazing on the draws.  I agree that Campy needs to stay on the 4th line b/c he stirs the drink.

As for a scoring winger- Yes.  It is a need.  And there are plenty of cheap rentals.  or we could look for a guy signed on.

Yes to a top 4 dman, essentially someone to play on the 2nd grouping who would be a #2 dman behind Chara.

Anyway, there is time. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fcukhabs. Show fcukhabs's posts

anyone hear what that dumba!@ eklund said how kaberle will be a bruin feb 15th... has anyone heard more about this?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I do, I absoloutely do. But he played a lot of 3rd line time (admittely in Florida) and I'm not sure he could he could look worse with more minutes than Krejci has of late. Arniel isn't the scrapper that Campbell is, but he'd be better on the fourth line than Begin was any month after November. Arniel is faster, and while I'd rather enjoy seeing Thornton score, I'd rather see Ryder and Wheeler filling the net. And I can live with them getting more goals, even at the cost of less goals for Thornton and less fruitless rushes from Paille. In Response to Re: A Centreman? A Defenceman? Or both? :

I think I'd wait before making a trade and expecting a 20 year old fourth round pick with 1.5 years of AHL experience and one NHL game to come in and fill the shoes of one of the best fourth line centers in the NHL.

Campbell played on Florida's second line also.  He's a good player.  He's just not better than Krejci or Bergeron.  If he were to move to the third line, it wouldn't hurt the third line, but would cripple the fourth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Both probably. Defense should come first. IMO Phillips, rather than Kaberle, will be a better fit with Chara allowing Kamfer to play with Seidenberg and a 3rd pairing of Ference and McQuaid, leaving Boychuck or Stuart for trade. Replacing Savard is no easy matter because his passing skills, when he was on his game, were unique as evidenced by his assists and scoring totals. IMO Seguin is still two years away from being an NHL center, as is Colborne, so Seguin should play on the wing, and not on the 4th line. Hamill did not make any mistakes, was solid positionally, and made some good set-up passes, but he is not the ultimate answer. The Bruins need to replace Thornton as his limited skills are not sufficient. A 4th line solution could be Wheeler/Campbell and Paille. A third line solution might be REX/Hamill and Ryder. That would put Seguin with Bergeron and Marchand where his speed and reactions could be enhanced.

Lucic/Kreji/Horton
                 Marchand/Bergeron/Seguin
                  Ryder/Hamill/Recchi
                  Wheeler/Campbell/Paille

Chara/Phillips
                 Seidenberg/Kamfer
                 Ference/ McQuaid

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Relax with the 4th line talk!  How about having the best 1st or second line, instead of the best 4th line, which should see 5 mins a game!  NAS, you make it sound like if we made a move on the 4th line it will shatter cup hopes.  How about having a PP that was under 10% in 42 games without savvy last year, now that will cripple your team.  Figuring out who to play at 4th line center sounds like a problem the 80's Oilers would have, not our bruins.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Bruins should go after Brad Richards as long as it doesn't involve Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand, Campbell, Chara, Mcquaid, Toronto's 1st round pick

I'd be hesitant to give up but if we could sign richards to a long term deal

Rask, Seguin, Kampfer, Seidenberg

I'd give up pretty much anyone/anything else to package for Richards even if it was for rental purposes.

Richards would take care of need for a Center and PP QB

Can't stress enough how important it is for an organization to make it far into the playoffs. Bruins havent gone deep in such a long time. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Bruins should go after Brad Richards as long as it doesn't involve Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand, Campbell, Chara, Mcquaid, Toronto's 1st round pick I'd be hesitant to give up but if we could sign richards to a long term deal Rask, Seguin, Kampfer, Seidenberg I'd give up pretty much anyone/anything else to package for Richards even if it was for rental purposes. Richards would take care of need for a Center and PP QB Can't stress enough how important it is for an organization to make it far into the playoffs. Bruins havent gone deep in such a long time.   
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]

It can't involve McQuaid, Marchand or Campbell, but Rask or Seguin are fine?

Please stop posting in this hockey forum.  Please return to the forum of the sport that you actually watch, understand, and know something about.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

NAS is right there Yaz.

NAS, I'm surprised you weren't onboard with this though, he wants to protect the 4th line, especially your boy campbell.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

If you put Campbell between Lucic & Horton for as long as Krejci was this season, he'd have more points than DK does right now. Krejci is having a sad year and I like Krejci overall. Having your top 3 forward lines be legit scoring threats is better than having a great 4th line a ramshackle 3rd, and a second line that isn't.

Campbell in the shutdown 3rd line role, and Arniel on an energy line are the best possible internal combination because Krejci is not shutdown material, and Bergeron is the one doing the producing.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Centreman? A Defenceman? Or both? : I think I'd wait before making a trade and expecting a 20 year old fourth round pick with 1.5 years of AHL experience and one NHL game to come in and fill the shoes of one of the best fourth line centers in the NHL. Campbell played on Florida's second line also.  He's a good player.  He's just not better than Krejci or Bergeron.  If he were to move to the third line, it wouldn't hurt the third line, but would cripple the fourth.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

NAS why don't you get out of this forum if you hate to read other peoples opinion so much you hitler

Read again what i wrote. IF Richards can be resigned for the long run then yes i'd be willing to give up Rask or Seguin in a package. 

Richards is a premier player right now and Seguin = "potential"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]If you put Campbell between Lucic & Horton for as long as Krejci was this season, he'd have more points than DK does right now. Krejci is having a sad year and I like Krejci overall. Having your top 3 forward lines be legit scoring threats is better than having a great 4th line a ramshackle 3rd, and a second line that isn't. Campbell in the shutdown 3rd line role, and Arniel on an energy line are the best possible internal combination because Krejci is not shutdown material, and Bergeron is the one doing the producing. In Response to Re: A Centreman? A Defenceman? Or both? :

I guess I just don't understand how, in your mind, Arniel is even ready for NHL duty.  What has he done to suggest that he is?  In rookie camp, he was invisible.  In the few Providence games I've seen this year, he's been invisible.

Tell me more about his skills and accomplishments.  I really must be missing something here.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

[QUOTE]Bruins should go after Brad Richards as long as it doesn't involve Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand, Campbell, Chara, Mcquaid, Toronto's 1st round pick I'd be hesitant to give up but if we could sign richards to a long term deal Rask, Seguin, Kampfer, Seidenberg I'd give up pretty much anyone/anything else to package for Richards even if it was for rental purposes. Richards would take care of need for a Center and PP QB Can't stress enough how important it is for an organization to make it far into the playoffs. Bruins havent gone deep in such a long time.   
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]
    So you consider guys like McQuaid and Campbell untouchable, but you would trade Seguin and Rask for a player that wouldnt be guaranteed to re-sign in Boston.

Come on yaz, this is RMiller/Stanley-esque garbage

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

I said IF he would resign then yes. If not , no

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

[QUOTE]I said IF he would resign then yes. If not , no
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]
    But how would you know if he re-signs or not. Its very unlikely for a mid-season sign and trade. Say you trade for him and include seguin in the package. What if PC cant re-sign him. Is giving away a potential franchise player and future all-star, who is only 19, for 2 months of Brad richards worth it?

And even with an extension it would still be a stupid move considering richards is 30 and will be 31 mid-way through the playoffs. While that age doesnt signify a play is starting to decline, Id say a guy like richards starts to slow down after about 2-3 years. Definately not worth Seguin/Rask or both. No way in hell.

Sections
Shortcuts