A concern for the playoffs - depth at forward

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

A concern for the playoffs - depth at forward

Much better than last year without the likes of Pandawful and DogVan around, and I'm very confident in the depth at d, but I'm concerned about the forwards.  Caron has been looking just Pandawful awful or maybe worse.  That leaves only Spooner.  You guys mentioned Koko in another thread as he was ahl player of the month or week or whatever.  Last I saw of him I didn't like the way he was coming along, hopefully that's changed.  I would have liked to see Thornton sit for the playoffs, but he appears to be better than Caron and the ahl guys.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: A concern for the playoffs - depth at forward

I can't argue that health is every bit as important as talent and luck.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

I think everyone has the same problem.

I think, if healthy, Spooner, then Fraser, Florek, Cunningham get the call, in that order.

But really, if your having to use 3 or 4 AHL callups because of injuries, it's probably not your year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to biggskye's comment:

I think everyone has the same problem.

I think, if healthy, Spooner, then Fraser, Florek, Cunningham get the call, in that order.

But really, if your having to use 3 or 4 AHL callups because of injuries, it's probably not your year.

This is the truth,you need health and if you have 3 or more injuries to your core,well,lights out.The B's will have Caron,Spooner,Florek & Fraser if he is back from injuries as the playoff call ups.Hopefully if all goes as planned,none of them will play.Laughing 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

If healthy nothing to worry about.  That's a full deck of 4 lines rolling.  Spooner or Fraser take a spot if someone goes down.  Caron must never be called up again.  The former 2 are better without even a second thought.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

There is no concern for the playoffs.

This is going to be a 16-0 post-season.

Yep.  No losses.

Plan the parade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from blackcrowes. Show blackcrowes's posts

I was having this conversation with a friend at work yesterday, about trying to figure out if there was a viable replacement for Thornton in Providence or if the team should have made another move at the deadline. I stopped mid sentence and said "You know what? When you biggest concern is trying to squeeze a few more goals out of the 4th line Right Wing, you're in pretty good shape..." Obviously if injuries strike, especially to the top 6 that would change that opinion, but what team is sitting on a top 6 guy in the press box? I guess my point is without injuries most of us are extremely happy with 11 of our 12 forwards. That's a great place to be...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to blackcrowes' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was having this conversation with a friend at work yesterday, about trying to figure out if there was a viable replacement for Thornton in Providence or if the team should have made another move at the deadline. I stopped mid sentence and said "You know what? When you biggest concern is trying to squeeze a few more goals out of the 4th line Right Wing, you're in pretty good shape..." Obviously if injuries strike, especially to the top 6 that would change that opinion, but what team is sitting on a top 6 guy in the press box? I guess my point is without injuries most of us are extremely happy with 11 of our 12 forwards. That's a great place to be...

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  If an injury comes to a Top Six left winger, Soderberg can move up.  Right winger?  Loui Eriksson!  

As if Loui Eriksson is a third line winger on this team.  There's your depth.

The goon is the goon.  In the playoffs his minutes will be minimized.  Any number of guys from Providence can come up to play five minutes with "DO NOT WORRY ABOUT OFFENSE, JUST DO NOT GET SCORED ON" burned into the brain.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I actually think we are in a pretty good place, with lot's of options no matter who goes down.

If a top 6 center goes down, Spooner comes up, or Soderberg moves up, and Kelly back to C.  If a 4th liner goes down, Florek comes up.  If a top 6 wing goes down then Erickson moves up and Paille moves up to 3rd line, and Cunningham/Florek fill in on the fourth.

Hard to think of any one injury that will kill us.  No team can expect to replace their core, or multiple injuries.  But I think we can absorb one injury as well as any other team in the league with the depth we have --- three solid lines that can score, and the best fourth liner in the league in Dan Paille who can play up if needed

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In the worst case, a couple of the top six go down.  That means Eriksson and Soderberg move up.  Barring a big drop-off from those two, I think that lets the top six continue without a precipitous loss of production.  I don't think many teams could survive that kind of loss as well as the Bruins.  Right now, having those two on a third line is a big plus for the team, though, and that loss would be felt.

I think that would mean a Kelly-Spooner-Fraser/Caron third line.  Or possibly a third line with Kelly, Campbell, and Paille and a couple of minutes of ice time a game for the 4th line.  Given what it would take to get to that point, that's not terrible.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

"DO NOT WORRY ABOUT OFFENSE, JUST DO NOT GET SCORED ON" burned into the brain.

[/QUOTE]

Nailed it with that comment. That's why the inevitable "Thornton must sit" posts at playoff time are absurd to me.

On a Cup contender, best for Julien to go on auto-pilot writing the familiar names on the lineup card, then go spend his energies working on things that matter instead of spending one second making sure a rookie on the 4th line wing doesn't put your team at risk. Go with what got you there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Chappy28's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I actually think we are in a pretty good place, with lot's of options no matter who goes down.

If a top 6 center goes down, Spooner comes up, or Soderberg moves up, and Kelly back to C.  If a 4th liner goes down, Florek comes up.  If a top 6 wing goes down then Erickson moves up and Paille moves up to 3rd line, and Cunningham/Florek fill in on the fourth.

Hard to think of any one injury that will kill us.  No team can expect to replace their core, or multiple injuries.  But I think we can absorb one injury as well as any other team in the league with the depth we have --- three solid lines that can score, and the best fourth liner in the league in Dan Paille who can play up if needed

[/QUOTE]

Rask.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from blackcrowes. Show blackcrowes's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Chappy28's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rask.

[/QUOTE]

Nah, Doc and Pierre kept pointing out on Wednesday night that Chad's 13-3, we got nothing to worry about with Rask.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Of course I'd like to see the team healthy.  And of course this is a defense first team.  But you do have to score at least one to win.  The idea of no Thornton in the playoffs appeals to me, I think a fourth line of Paille Campbell Spooner sounds really good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to blackcrowes' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nah, Doc and Pierre kept pointing out on Wednesday night that Chad's 13-3, we got nothing to worry about with Rask.

[/QUOTE]

I would rather see Svedberg than Johnson.  Hell, I'd rather see Subban than Johnson.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Last I looked they are leading the East in scoring. Hummmm, maybe we are looking for new topics to discuss where none need exist. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

If we don't already have the best forward depth in the league who does? Whileinjuries can always derail your chances we couldn't be in a better position unless sieds was healthy.  A rask injury would be the toughest to absorb. Barring the loss of 2 stars I don't see much to be concerned with at forward. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is no concern for the playoffs.

This is going to be a 16-0 post-season.

Yep.  No losses.

Plan the parade.

[/QUOTE]

PERIOD!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Wrong thread. No concerns at all.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"I think that would mean a Kelly-Spooner-Fraser/Caron third line"

And that would spell doom once you get to the later rounds like the ECF and SCF. Mistake not jettisoning Caron and bringing in a depth forward as a 13th. You have to have production out of the 3rd line to get past the last two rounds.

Look at the way the the 3rd is producing. That is why the Bruins are rolling right now. You take that away and it is a full faceplant into the ice. Big mistake.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Lindblad recalled from Providence,there's Carons replacement.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rask.

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that too. I am hoping they bring Svedberg up for some playing time before the playoffs.

He could end up being your go-to guy, if Rask goes down. I am just not sold on Chad Johnson leading this team to a series victory.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last I looked they are leading the East in scoring. Hummmm, maybe we are looking for new topics to discuss where none need exist. 

[/QUOTE]

I would say this is entirely non-issue in the EAST.  I like the Bruins against anyone in the East.  It's the SCF I'm looking at.  Look at last year.  DogVan nails those 2 opportunities he had and there would have been a game 7

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

So today they called up Matt Lindblad and he's supposed to play against Carolina?

Seems like there's going to be a bit of evaluation/resting rotation going on this last month?

Paille is supposed to be back too, so that will be 2 scratches from the Phoenix game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to perrysound's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would say this is entirely non-issue in the EAST.  I like the Bruins against anyone in the East.  It's the SCF I'm looking at.  Look at last year.  DogVan nails those 2 opportunities he had and there would have been a game 7

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. This is a deep, well rounded team from top to bottom. They have the scoring they need for the best D around. I do not see any problem making the Finals. After that, we'll see.