a couple of stats that encourage me

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Re: a couple of stats that encourage me

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

Tomas Vokoun is a 37 year old, nearly .500 goaltender with an over 2.50 goals against average. Im sure you can take hundreds of goaltender's from the NHL's history and cherrypick a couple week's here and there and argue that they're the next Ken Dryden.

Not sold..not even remotely.  Goaltending is their obvious weakness.

Yeah, his GAA winning percentage are relevant.  Anyone who started out as the backup for an expansion team and then started for Florida should have a really good GAA and high winning percentage!

Youre right NAS, numbers mean nothing. My bad. What terrible luck this guy has had. He is the best goalie to ever play for an expansion team and the Panthers. Had he just played for better teams, he could have been... better than average.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Youre right NAS, numbers mean nothing. My bad. What terrible luck this guy has had. He is the best goalie to ever play for an expansion team and the Panthers. Had he just played for better teams, he could have been... better than average.

A different way to look at it would be to say that his numbers as a young backup goalie playing for an expansion team don't really have much bearing on his play today, or that the fight he may have put up in Florida was probably wasted due to an AHL caliber defense in front of him on most occasions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

A different way to look at it would be to say that his numbers as a young backup goalie playing for an expansion team don't really have much bearing on his play today, or that the fight he may have put up in Florida was probably wasted due to an AHL caliber defense in front of him on most occasions.

Ill put this here...

His regular season numbers for PITT (not Florida/Nashville) 2.45 and .919.. remarkably similar to his career numbers. His stats for Washington 2.51 and .917. You are what you are.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Tomas Vokoun is a 37 year old, nearly .500 goaltender with an over 2.50 goals against average. Im sure you can take hundreds of goaltender's from the NHL's history and cherrypick a couple week's here and there and argue that they're the next Ken Dryden.

And what old stats has to with how he's performing presently............well, playing for crappy teams compared to playing for the current Pens..........you figure it out.

He hasn't been spectacular, just very solid. Something the Pens were missing with Fleury starting. 

With Vokoun playing the way he has been I don't look at their goaltending being a weakness or horrible . I also don't think it's a strength. Somewhere in between has been good enough for them to have won 6 of their last 7.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Ill put this here...

His regular season numbers for PITT (not Florida/Nashville) 2.45 and .919.. remarkably similar to his career numbers. His stats for Washington 2.51 and .917. You are what you are.

Those numbers sure to look similar.  Great point.  Of course, his playoff numbers are the most recent and they have been spectacular.  Hopefully he returns to form.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Forget the numbers, this is the Eastern final access to the Cup. I like the Bruins chances as long as they continue to play as well as they have.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

And what old stats has to with how he's performing presently............well, playing for crappy teams compared to playing for the current Pens..........you figure it out.

He hasn't been spectacular, just very solid. Something the Pens were missing with Fleury starting.

With Vokoun playing the way he has been I don't look at their goaltending being a weakness or horrible . I also don't think it's a strength. Somewhere in between has been good enough for them to have won 6 of their last 7.

In statistics, an outlier is an observation that is numerically distant from the rest of the data.Unless you dont believe in statistics as a mechanism to predict future performance. Goalies get hot.. but they dont improve VASTLY at age 37. I believe Vokoun is as his past has shown and he will cool off.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In statistics, an outlier is an observation that is numerically distant from the rest of the data.Unless you dont believe in statistics as a mechanism to predict future performance. Goalies get hot.. but they dont improve VASTLY at age 37. I believe Vokoun is as his past has shown and he will cool off.

This may be true, but what are the odds that he cools off over the next series?  I'd say they are pretty slim.  What's your opinion?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Honestly, who is to say? But with each passing day, I'd like to think the cooler he gets. He will have had a week away from "his zone" and the Bruins couldn't ask for more. I've seen the "hot goalie" phenomenon, as we all have, but I really think this guy is a goat as his much larger pool of evidence suggests.

Even still, if he "plays to his average", the Bruins will need that and more to outscore the Pens.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

No. I flip coins. It's more accurate.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Well, there's two sides to this.  Goaltending is their obvious weakness; however, they have a hot goalie who is playing very well right now.

That's a bit scary.  If we were talking about Vokoun sustaining his recent play over a full season, Id have my doubts.  But we arent, we're talking about him sustaining his recent play for a series, which is much more doable.

Just trying to stay objective here.  Sometimes hot is better than good. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from schlich. Show schlich's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

No. I flip coins. It's more accurate.

I go with what Stanley says.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Ok ok boys.

Vokoun is not horrible and he's not a world beater, either (small sample size). He's a goalie that's been playing very well this playoffs. That's a fact.  

Who knows if he keeps it up vs the Bs. But if he does the Bs are in trouble.

I think it's fair to criticize him and praise him, but I hope he's horrible vs the Bs for my own selfish reasons.

To me, the Bs made "King" Henrik look pedestrian and Reimer look like a world beater. Who knows what Vokoun will look like and how the Bs will make him look

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I don't think Vokoun saw the offense from the Isles or Sens that the Bruins can deliver.

It's going to be a good series, that's for sure.  I expect 6 or more likely 7 games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Vokoun is no Lundqvist, but to call the Pens goaltending horrible is being a bit short sighted. MAF wasn't horrible against the Islanders, but he was average at best. Vokoun has been great when he's had to be and I have yet to recall a stinker against him. So that's the good news...He's due, because he has been known to do that. Unless Vokoun falls totally apart, or gets injuried we won't be seeing MAF in this series. Vokoun was brought in for the exact situation that happened. Vokoun is now the #1 goaltender for the Pens for the duration of the play-offs. Even IF he has a bad game. I don't think Bylasma will put him back in there. The Pens have seen enough of MAF fall apart over last 3 play-offs. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Many of you might know I love my stats, but throw all the stats out the window for these playoff rounds.  I would even predict that the typical pattern of stats for both of these teams will be different for this round.

Sections
Shortcuts