A Few Late Weber Bits

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

A Few Late Weber Bits

Just heard Weber (on TSN) talking about being happy to stay in Nashville - staying with the franchise that gave him his start, likes that this shows commitment to spending to the cap if that's what it takes to win, and he'd be very excited to bring a Cup to Nashville (I mean, who wouldn't - you'd get on [H]onky Tonk for sure!).  I've never bought the whole "strong message he wants out of Nashville" line.  If he really wanted out of Nashville, he waits a year.  This was $110M on the table that could tie him to the Preds for 14 years.  I'm sure he's at peace with it.  Put that with the fact that the Predators will have to pay him 1/4 of the contract in the next 11 months, and I don't see them thinking about moving Weber unless the wheels totally fall off.  Let the specualtion die.

Also laughed a bit at Eeeyore Holmgren saying he tried to get pretty much every big UFA and now an RFA and shot blanks.  Eat it, Flyers - one of the biggest offenders in escalating salaries if not the biggest.  I will say this, though - that RFA offer was about as well designed as it could be to actually bring in the player. Massive front load, and just high enough to trigger the max. compensation package.  Huge term.  Well done attempt, but still a fail.  Their only mistake may have been not making this offer last year when the Preds might have considered letting him walk and elevating Suter to #1 status.  They were massively less likely to let Weber walk after losing Suter.

I still hope that Poile has the agents for Giroux, Simmonds et al. on speed dial to start negotiating the second it's not tampering.  Purely out of malice, because no way does Ed Snider let anyone bully him, so the Flyers will match anything.  Offer Simmonds $50M.

No reason for this, but...I have very little interest in the roll out of Rick Nash in NY or Dubinsky and friends in Ohio.  The Weber deal, though, held my interest.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: A Few Late Weber Bits

In Response to A Few Late Weber Bits:
     Eat it, Flyers - one of the biggest offenders in escalating salaries if not the biggest.  
    Posted by Bookboy007

This was my reaction. In this fear-of-lockout climate do we need to look any further than Snider for the example of how owners can get out of their own way?  I lived outside Philly for four years and really grew to hate this franchise.  Every year that Snider fails to win a Cup, despite his desperate spending sprees brings me joy.  I was elated when the Bryz contract was signed -- typical Flyers.  I sure do hope that Nashville, or somebody, returns the favor of driving up the salary on a key Flyer player.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think Weber just wanted to get a ridiculous $100mil lifetime contract before they were removed in the next CBA. Can't blame him. The team was secondary, but both Nashville and Philly are in it to win it so it was a win-win-win for Shea.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: A Few Late Weber Bits:
    I think Weber just wanted to get a ridiculous $100mil lifetime contract before they were removed in the next CBA. Can't blame him. The team was secondary, but both Nashville and Philly are in it to win it so it was a win-win-win for Shea.
    Posted by OatesCam

Ding,Ding,Ding........Bingo!!! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Let's turn the tables. If someone offered you $100 million would you turn it down if the only stipulation was moving?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Nashville will not have enough money to build around Weber and he will be traded in no more than three years after he has had enough.

"Eat it, Flyers" +10!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Nashville will not have enough money to build around Weber and he will be traded in no more than three years after he has had enough. "Eat it, Flyers' +10!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

My feeling exactly, on both points.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Nashville will not have enough money to build around Weber and he will be traded in no more than three years after he has had enough. Posted by SanDogBrewin

I really doubt it.  If that's the case, you don't match because you're throwing away the bulk of the money in the contract and then moving him.  No half decent business person pays 50% of the costs for 20% of the benefit.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Nashville will not have enough money to build around Weber and he will be traded in no more than three years after he has had enough. "Eat it, Flyers' +10!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Touche, Sandog, on both counts.

The breezes off Del Mar have reached Toronto and cooled us down a bit. Refreshing air.

I'm trying to convince my wife to go to Del Mar next August instead of Indian Wells in March. What is there for her to do there? I need more amo. She's big on spas, there most be thousands there, no?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: A Few Late Weber Bits : I'm trying to convince my wife to go to Del Mar next August instead of Indian Wells in March. What is there for her to do there? I need more amo. She's big on spas, there most be thousands there, no ? Posted by Wheatskins

She would be in heaven Wheat for sure. La Costa has a great spa that is where the PGA used to play the Acenture World Golf Championships. Then you have L’Auberge hotel resort right in downtown Del Mar. If those are too pricey the Double Tree is still close to the track.

@Book So what you are saying is Poile will say no to a trade demand from Weber ? Please tell me Weber wouldn't take a cue from TT and just take a year off if the Preds don't give in to his demands. Nashville ownership dragged their feet on a signing because they were trying too be cheap.

Now Nasville has backed themselves into a corner and they are not coming out. Suter knew there will be no way Poile couldn't sign both and spend money on a 30-35 goal scorer that is why he left. If the Preds make it into the playoffs its two rounds max then they are out.

Weber + Rinne + a bunch of grinders = mediocarcy for years to come.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Poile was being interviewed by Elliotte Friedman on THE FAN 590 Tuesday afternoon.  Friedman asked him his friendship with Holmgrem would remain friendly after the offer sheet to Weber.  Poile said it would, that he understood offer sheets were at the disposal of anyone who wanted to make use of them and that Holmgren sorted the contract for Nashville. 

He also wondered if Holmgren would have targeted Weber had he been a Leaf, Ranger, Red Wing or Bruin.  Friedman and the panel interpreted this to mean Holmgren gambled the Preds a small market team wouldn't be able to match the offer of the wealthier clubs mentioned but in doing so hopefully dispelled the myth of the Nashville franchise not having the resources to spend on players. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

I don't care what Poile says.  There is no way that this didn't put a strain on the relationship between the two teams.  They have made several trades over the last several years.  It will probably be a while before we see another one.

Sections
Shortcuts