A Review Of The Bruins' Stanley Cup DVD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

Re: A Review Of The Bruins' Stanley Cup DVD

Watched the DVD with my 9 year old last and it was great to be able to relive the whole post season with him again. Good DVD but, it did not have a local feel to it. I would love to see NESN produce a DVD that had a real Boston feel to it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: A Review Of The Bruins' Stanley Cup DVD:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Review Of The Bruins' Stanley Cup DVD :   RHO, I googled and found this :  Along with former Boston Red Sox baseball star Ken "The Hawk" Harrelson and the New York Jets star football quarterback Joe Namath , Sanderson opened "Bachelors III", a trendy nightclub on New York City’s Upper East Side. Negative publicity over some of the clubs less than reputable patrons led to problems and eventually Sanderson had to get out of what went from a "goldmine" to a money-losing venture.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Chowda.  I knew I'd heard or read it somewhere.  They must have been one hell of a hard-partying trio.  Cheers!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]The DVD is chock full of Michael Ryder, boys! Enjoy! :P
    Posted by Krispy73[/QUOTE]

Krispy - Ryder earned it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Review Of The Bruins' Stanley Cup DVD : Ya Wheat I knew this also . Great story. Would you know if he's still doing this ?

Chowda - I've heard Orr paid for Sanderson's hip replacement surgery years ago.  Wouldn't surprise me at all.  Have you ever heard anything along those lines? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Review Of The Bruins' Stanley Cup DVD : Chowda - I've heard Orr paid for Sanderson's hip replacement surgery years ago.  Wouldn't surprise me at all.  Have you ever heard anything along those lines? 
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

No I didn't hear that one . But you reminded me of a time when I was headed to Niagara Falls (where Sanderson once lived) and I seen this old guy hobbling across the road to get to a truck stop. Truth is it wasn't an old guy at all . It was Sanderson before he had the surgery done. He could barely walk.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Review Of The Bruins' Stanley Cup DVD : No I didn't hear that one . But you reminded me of a time when I was headed to Niagara Falls (where Sanderson once lived) and I seen this old guy hobbling across the road to get to a truck stop. Truth is it wasn't an old guy at all . It was Sanderson before he had the surgery done. He could barely walk.

Had no idea his health was in such bad shape.  I'm glad things have turned around for him both professionally and health-wise.  Truly a one of a kind personality for the game at that time and a hell of a player...at hockey, too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

It's also nice to see that the business of professional hockey has grown so much since the lockout that organizations have the ability to offer good-paying jobs to those who have the talent to fill a need. We're seeing a lot more opportunity for guys to retire and stay involved, which will keep a lot of players out of trouble that would otherwise have nowhere to go. Unlike the 70s, where bodies would break down and there was a "now what?" feeling.

I'd venture to say there's a sustainable position for *every* single ex-NHL player should they have the desire to go out and find it. Maybe not with the parent organization, but certainly in the sport worldwide.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Review Of The Bruins' Stanley Cup DVD : Chowda - I've heard Orr paid for Sanderson's hip replacement surgery years ago.  Wouldn't surprise me at all.  Have you ever heard anything along those lines? 

It was Bobby Orr who get Sanderson off a park bench and into a hospital in Toronto to get Derek back on course. I know Orr picked up the tab there.

I think the hip replacement came a few years later. I don't know if he picked up the tab for that.

And yes, Derek is still managing that huge portfolio.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I just finished watching the DVD.  It does have an NFL Films-type of feel to it with the narration and slow-mo sequences.  Count me among those calls for more in-depth stuff about the players and personalities on the club as I think that angle would have lent more flavour to the idea of the B's being the pick of few to win the championship over sexier picks like the Wings, Philadelphia, the Caps, Pittsburgh and Sharks. 

I thought the film did a good job of highlighting the camaraderie on the club with those frequent shots of them being supportive and chatty with each other on the bench. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]I just finished watching the DVD.  It does have an NFL Films-type of feel to it with the narration and slow-mo sequences.  Count me among those calls for more in-depth stuff about the players and personalities on the club as I think that angle would have lent more flavour to the idea of the B's being the pick of few to win the championship over sexier picks like the Wings, Philadelphia, the Caps, Pittsburgh and Sharks.  I thought the film did a good job of highlighting the camaraderie on the club with those frequent shots of them being supportive and chatty with each other on the bench. 

I picked it up today and watched it.  I thought it was good but not exceptional.  I think I actually enjoyed some of the Patriots and Red Sox dvd's more.  But it was still good.  I do hope that NESN comes out with their own version though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Review Of The Bruins' Stanley Cup DVD : I picked it up today and watched it.  I thought it was good but not exceptional.  I think I actually enjoyed some of the Patriots and Red Sox dvd's more.  But it was still good.  I do hope that NESN comes out with their own version though.
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]

jalvis - I'm with you.  There's no real insight into the team.  Perhaps if NESN puts a one together there will be more delving into this aspect of the club with an angle of what the Bruins and the Cup means to the fans in Boston.  This DVD included parade footage but no comments from the people who attended. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

RWTK - As I watched I began to get that feeling of choked up emotion all over again.  This was a solid effort but as I posted earlier, should NESN produce one of their own perhaps they will penetrate the surface of the players and personalities on the club and take a more Boston-focussed perspective as to what this achiement meant to the fans of the team.  Cheers!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]RWTK - As I watched I began to get that feeling of choked up emotion all over again.  This was a solid effort but as I posted earlier, should NESN produce one of their own perhaps they will penetrate the surface of the players and personalities on the club and take a more Boston-focussed perspective as to what this achiement meant to the fans of the team.  Cheers!

Rich...

Thanks for your review. I'm hoping my copy arrives today and I can watch it tonight.

Again, without any real knowledge of whether one is forthcoming, I do believe NESN will emerge w/its own version. My guess is that they're taking their time( a good thing) to do exactly what the NHL version won't--give a more "insider" feel to the team so many die-hard fans who watch every game on NESN will appreciate (whereas the NHL version--still knowing it'll be mostly B's fans watching--nevertheless feel they need to appeal to a broader audience, and so, less of  the local feel and more of the generic "we are the champions" stuff.)

Also--it might take longer b/c many of the players are off visiting in far flung areas of the globe w/their day with the Cup, and it might be tuff to schedule the kinds of interviews they want.

I also hope (if NESN does come thru) that they will include more perspectives from fans and beat writers (yes, even those who gave the B's short shrift in the past) to give that sense--as we got in "faith rewarded" w/the Sox) of just HOW important this title was to those long-suffering fans who weren't sure they would ever see one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

I liked the videe but did not love it - It would have been nice if they showed the entire ceremony with the conn smythe and cup. I am also hoping NESN puts out a verison - NESN Red Sox videos were better than the MLB videos.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Review Of The Bruins' Stanley Cup DVD : Rich... Thanks for your review. I'm hoping my copy arrives today and I can watch it tonight. Again, without any real knowledge of whether one is forthcoming, I do believe NESN will emerge w/its own version. My guess is that they're taking their time( a good thing) to do exactly what the NHL version won't--give a more "insider" feel to the team so many die-hard fans who watch every game on NESN will appreciate (whereas the NHL version--still knowing it'll be mostly B's fans watching--nevertheless feel they need to appeal to a broader audience, and so, less of  the local feel and more of the generic "we are the champions" stuff.) Also--it might take longer b/c many of the players are off visiting in far flung areas of the globe w/their day with the Cup, and it might be tuff to schedule the kinds of interviews they want. I also hope (if NESN does come thru) that they will include more perspectives from fans and beat writers (yes, even those who gave the B's short shrift in the past) to give that sense--as we got in "faith rewarded" w/the Sox) of just HOW important this title was to those long-suffering fans who weren't sure they would ever see one.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

TTBI - Agreed re NESN.  Some have said they produced on for the Sox that was superior to the MLB version.  That said, chances are good they'll do the same for the Bruins somewhere down the road.

Sections
Shortcuts