A Riddle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

A Riddle

What has one goal and no games left?

TYLER SEGUIN

Once again, he fails to deliver.  Six games, one goal.  That's TWO goals in his last 28 playoff games.

Seguin.  You suck.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: A Riddle

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

TYLER SEGUIN

Once again, he fails to deliver.  Six games, one goal.  That's TWO goals in his last 28 playoff games.

Seguin.  You suck.

He's really good if you can get him for a regular season hockey pool.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Tied for 8th on his team with 4 other players in plus minus with a plus one.

Tied for 6th on his team for points - with 6 other players, one being defenseman Jordie Benn, 2 defensemen ahead of him in points.

Tied for 5th in goals with 1 along with 7 other players
    That is a total and utter disgrace for the team's leading regular goal scorer and 4th overall in the league.

This playoff plus the history equals PROBLEM

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Breaking news:  Seguin had an assist last night.  Dallas falls to the Ducks.

I sincerely wish Seguin to be a great player.  With Benn on the wing he will be able to evolve with the team.  Dallas is up and coming.  Best wishes to him.

As for the Boston Bruins, I did not want him to be traded but the Cap was the issue.  The return may not be equal but for the interim Boston will have the team to win another Cup.  I like the trade for those reasons.  

Seguin wanted to be like Yzerman, you are no Stevie Tyler (pun intended).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

Breaking news:  Seguin had an assist last night.  Dallas falls to the Ducks.

I sincerely wish Seguin to be a great player.  With Benn on the wing he will be able to evolve with the team.  Dallas is up and coming.  Best wishes to him.

As for the Boston Bruins, I did not want him to be traded but the Cap was the issue.  The return may not be equal but for the interim Boston will have the team to win another Cup.  I like the trade for those reasons.  

Seguin wanted to be like Yzerman, you are no Stevie Tyler (pun intended).

One more time:  He wasn't traded because of the cap.  Kessel was.  Seguin wasn't.  Seguin was traded because of his contract, however.  They weren't going to pay someone that much money to act that way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

One more time:  He wasn't traded because of the cap.  Kessel was.  Seguin wasn't.  Seguin was traded because of his contract, however.  They weren't going to pay someone that much money to act that way.

I agree with you on the point of "Sequin" (so appropriate a nickname in retrospect) being a chump 1-way non-playoff doooche, but both semantically and factually, you're wrong about him not being traded because of the cap.

He was traded because of the existence of a cap and how his contract fit under it presently and going forward. If there was no cap the Bruins could have kept him and his contract AND signed other players needed to fill important roles with the team (first line wing, third line center/wing). I assure you the Bruins management knew the guy was going to be a 30-40 goal scorer and he wasn't killing people off the ice. Money aside (which it wasnt) they'd love to have Iginla on the 1st line, Seguin on the 2nd, and whomever else they could spend money on filling out the 3rd line. The point was, they couldn't fit Seguin's contract, Bergeron's new contract, Iginla's contract, and various RFA's going forward under the cap with Seguin and all his warts. Said Chiarelli about his contract: “At that time (of the signing of his new contract), we really didn’t have an inkling of where the cap would be, but my feeling was that if we had to move players, that Tyler fit into that category,” Chiarelli said.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Seguin was traded because he wasn't living up to his contract in the eyes of the B's. I think that's different than being a guy who is moved because you can't afford to pay him. Had Seguin performed as the B's thought he would/should then he'd still be here.

2010-11playoffs, when he was in the lineup played really well in a couple of games and not so great in the others. Since then he hasn't played anywhere near what you would reasonably expect from a guy with his skills. Watching him in a couple of the games this playoffs he looks like the same guy he was here in the playoffs. Unable to elevate his game to playoff level and unwilling to go into the dirty areas. I hope he grows into a guy that can do those things. It's a waste of all that talent if he doesn't.

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

He was traded because of the existence of a cap and how his contract fit under it presently and going forward. If there was no cap the Bruins could have kept him and his contract AND signed other players needed to fill important roles with the team (first line wing, third line center/wing). I assure you the Bruins management knew the guy was going to be a 30-40 goal scorer and he wasn't killing people off the ice. Money aside (which it wasnt) they'd love to have Iginla on the 1st line, Seguin on the 2nd, and whomever else they could spend money on filling out the 3rd line. The point was, they couldn't fit Seguin's contract, Bergeron's new contract, Iginla's contract, and various RFA's going forward under the cap with Seguin and all his warts. Said Chiarelli about his contract: “At that time (of the signing of his new contract), we really didn’t have an inkling of where the cap would be, but my feeling was that if we had to move players, that Tyler fit into that category,” Chiarelli said.

"Seguin and all his warts."

If Seguin had produced in the playoffs and wasn't a petulant child, it would have been different.  If Seguin made league minimum, it would have been different.  He was traded because he didn't deserve the money, not because they couldn't fit him under the cap.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

May seem like splitting hairs, but the dynamics are miles apart in the 2 scenario's.  It absolutely was the "contract", more than the cap(although they're intertwined). 

If Seguin was playing like "8 mil', he wouldn't have been traded.

It's bigger than "points" too.  Simply put, he wasn't contributing 10% to the teams success(which is what he was being paid), and management didn't see him doing that in future.

It's not the "contract amount" that causes so much problem, as it is the "overall value".  Cap or not, this team would never keep guys around who earn more than they're contributing.  Never.

Those "other" players you speak of...management  saw more "overall value", in them, regardless the number of goals.  If the "cap" was driving the deal, why wasn't DK, Chara, Bergeron, or Lucic dealt instead?  They all had big contracts.  Simply put,  assuming it was "the cap', puts the cart before the horse.

TS was dealt, simply because he was the piece that would be least missed, while still bringing a lot back.  It's a team game.  Winning is the goal. 

A player who is perceived to be contributing "more" than he's being paid, is virtually immune to trades, regardless of the "cap hit".

I agree with you on the point of "Sequin" (so appropriate a nickname in retrospect) being a chump 1-way non-playoff doooche, but both semantically and factually, you're wrong about him not being traded because of the cap.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Bruins could not wait for him to mature.  PC has the team to win now, who knows what happens in 5 years .

His immaturity that led to bad play got him traded and he did not deserve the salary.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Bruins could not wait for him to mature.  PC has the team to win now, who knows what happens in 5 years .

His immaturity that led to bad play got him traded and he did not deserve the salary.

You have to wonder if he will ever mature.  Has Kessel matured?  Actually Kessel's problem is different.  He's an idiot, he really is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

Watching Seguin play for Dallas in the playoffs makes stomaching his trade a lot easier... if in fact you had a hard time with it to begin with. I didn't watch all of their games, but stretches of them and you almost couldn't tell he was on the ice, seemed like a 3rd or 4th line center. Seguin cruised around a lot and fired a bunch of shots from outside the dots, but that was about it. Hopefully he'll get "it" soon and turn into the player everyone keeps waiting for, but I'm guessing the best he gets to is a Kessel-like career.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

One more time?  Yikes, ok let me get out of cryptic sentence structure.  He was traded as his Cap hit was too high.  He did not perform in the SCF in particular.  He was no Yserman.  He was no Stamkos (he produced in his second year with better hockey acumen.  The decision nonetheless was made as a Cap issue.  Apples and oranges talk here.  Seguin legacy as I indicated above is in his own hands.  I am on record to saying the Bruins could not wait for his development.  I have said the core of the players are three or four years older than Seguin.  The Bs could not wait.  I will not denigrate Seguin's play in the future. He is slow maturing. He is what he is witnessed in his play with Dallas.  Benn made him look damn good.  Meanwhile back at the ranch, the Bs are moving onto Montreal with Smith and Eriksson in tow.  I like those odds.  I'd rather have a Cup than a President's trophy. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

After watching almost all of that series, I was struck by just how little of a compete level TS showed.

Kid has talent up the wazoo but doesn't look like a guy that has that burning drive to be the man.

He has not earned ANY comparison to Yzerman.

I wish the kid luck, I really do, but he has to realize that talent only gets you so far down the road.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

TYLER SEGUIN

Seguin.  You suck.

Phil figured it out.  Hopefully Segs does too, eventually.  The substance abuse stuff is concerning though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Seguin was traded because the Bruins management team did not think they should be paying a player who had maturity issues off the ice and lack of production on it that much money.

His stats and the Bruins record suggest they made the right move.

End of story.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

When did JT Superstar figure it out?  It took a looooong time.  And I would say that, like Seguin, there were stretches before he figured it out when he seemed to be on the right track - then success would make him arrogant and he'd go back to being a perimeter passer.  Now his numbers are way down, but the Sharks are better for it.  Huh.  Lookit that Joe.

I still hope LA pulls off the comeback.  I really want to call them the Sharts.

Are you not entertained?!?!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Bingo. Cap had nothing to do with it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to bim09's comment:

Phil figured it out.  Hopefully Segs does too, eventually.  The substance abuse stuff is concerning though.

Figured what out?  He already knew how to score goals and put up stats.  I'm not sure he's figured out much else.

Is he having a good playoffs?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I still hope LA pulls off the comeback.  I really want to call them the Sharts.

Are you not entertained?!?!

The San Jose Sharts would live on in infamy on this forum if San Jose sharts the bed,they would forever be known as the Sharts and that would be rather cool.Book its always good to have something to look forward to.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

"Wtv seg stil go young to do it Al by humself.. U sil see him lead nhL next yesr in scorE. Dal notgood team and made plfs Bc of seg wtv" - Marco

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In response to bim09's comment:

Figured what out?  He already knew how to score goals and put up stats.  I'm not sure he's figured out much else.

Is he having a good playoffs?

Kessel figured it out?  When his team needed him most to make the playoffs he went on his yearly scoring drought.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

"Wtv seg stil go young to do it Al by humself.. U sil see him lead nhL next yesr in scorE. Dal notgood team and made plfs Bc of seg wtv" - Marco

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

Good one GNB! I notice they're not around these days. Wait until the B's lose a game though...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I thought Seguin looked real good in the playoffs.  Not great, but good and generally dangerous.  But there in lies the problem, as dealing Seguin brought back Smith(1+1=2), Eriksson(1+1=2) and the money to sign Iginla(2+2=4).  That's 4+4=8pts in 5 games vs. Seguin's 1+2=3pts in 6.  For any player to be worth the kind of talent the Bruins have right now on RW, they need to not be good but exceptional.  Even then it's a challenge, since having depth on wings allows the Bruins centers to excel and in the playoffs it's easier to key in on one player than 3.

It's very hard to justify any one player making a tonne of money in today's NHL.  And that's before taking into account the defensive advantage having depth over a star gives you.  Opposing teams have to face the Soderberg-Eriksson combo as a BEST case scenario when picking who to play their best players against among the top-9 Bruins forwards.  That's way tougher than most 3rd lines, and much tougher than whatever third line Boston could have cobbled together with Seguin's salary still on the books.  3rd line battles can win playoff series as much as the first line battles can.

Sections
Shortcuts