A Riddle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

Re: A Riddle

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Reading his playoff stats (tm) here's what stuck out like a sore thumb more then the rest.

4th in the league in shots........25.

159th in the league in shooting %........4.0%.

Perimeter goals in the playoffs are less likely then in the regular season.

Typical Seguin.  Instead of working to get a better shot or working to make a quality pass, he throws it at the net with little to no hope of scoring.

But but but... it worked in the OHL when he scored a million goals by being a "snipah." Oh wait, in the NHL defensemen can defend, and goalies are basically huge and can make saves...and in the playoffs, defenders get more nasty and goalies more stingy. Seguin's biggest problem is that he hasn't adjusted his game yet for playing with the big boys at the biggest time of the year. 

Kessel went through a similar adjustment, and last year you could say he had a pretty good scoring playoff series. These guys seem to be following similar career paths so far, neither of which screams "Bruins" to me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to socca10's comment:

These guys seem to be following similar career paths so far, neither of which screams "Bruins" to me.

Agreed Socca. Neither Kessell, nor Seguin fit the Bruins' model. And I wouldnt change the model at all! Assets are assets, even if they're #1 picks, use em to find players that DO fit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Reading his playoff stats (tm) here's what stuck out like a sore thumb more then the rest.

I wonder if that shooting % includes the shots he made AT net (as opposed to ON net) because he took a ton of shots wide or high.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I wonder if that shooting % includes the shots he made AT net (as opposed to ON net) because he took a ton of shots wide or high.

And iced the puck on the Stars PP a few times.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

A curious question ..........considering you have the (tm) for this.

25 shots on goal divided by one goal = 4%

The answer to your question is no. Your welcome...................... and the new calculator is in the mail.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The answer to your question is no. Your welcome...................... and the new calculator is in the mail.

I thought Badhab's "talent calculation transmogifier" already had the shots percentage stat built into it? 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

He took a lot more shots after the game too, as he did in Boston.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

He took a lot more shots after the game too, as he did in Boston.

Bada bing,Bada boom,booya!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

No, the tm covers only prospect analysis and it was an April Fools day prop if you recall.

But no matter how you slice this one, by watching the game or the stats, this is a deeply flawed player.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

agree all the right choices were made in terms of talent but trading them all within a 10-yr span raises questions....

Thornton: One game away now from being the Captain of the San Jose Sharts.  Still has never won bupkiss.  Will never win Bupkiss.  Has 3 points in the series, good for 7th on his team, and none of them in the last three games trying to put the Kings to bed.  He's the worst +/- player on his team in the playoffs.

Kessel: was having a pretty good round until he shanked his second shot on 13 and never shot par the rest of the day.

Seguin: Ghostly for Dallas.

Lucic: Beast.

Bergeron: 2 time Selke winner, 30 goal scorer, 2 time Olympic gold medallist.

Krejci: 2 time winner of the playoff scoring race.

They kept the right players.  They moved guys who've proven to be deadwood.  Not the cool Al Swearengen kind, either.
    [object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Book, i highly respect your opinion but feel that with the arrival of Z-man and the regime of PC & CJ, Jumbo Joe too would've contributed to a cup winner....  like NAS, i also think Joe wasn 't given a fair shake....

and still isn't....

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

agree all the right choices were made in terms of talent but trading them all within a 10-yr span raises questions....

What questions?  They keep getting better with every trade.

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

[object HTMLDivElement]

a #1 pick overall for Brad Stuart, Marco Sturm & Wayne Primeau....

the B'S could've gotten better sooner if not for this brain cramp....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm sure the B's could have gotten more, but would the team be where it is today?  It's possible, but the probability factor is very, very low.

I'll take the memory of the pain from years ago for the Cup parade and a chance at a few more.

You know what I could be - "if only" ?  Would have could have should have is about as pointless a discussion as there could be.  Hindsight is always 20/20.

You know what I could be - "if only" ?  Would have could have should have is about as pointless a discussion as there could be.  Hindsight is always 20/20.

[object HTMLDivElement]

"hindsight" was never going to be needed to judge this trade....  it was a result of brain gas from the get go....   

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I'm sure the B's could have gotten more, but would the team be where it is today?  It's possible, but the probability factor is very, very low.

I'll take the memory of the pain from years ago for the Cup parade and a chance at a few more.

[object HTMLDivElement]

so will i....  just saying those acquired didn't contribute one iota to the betterment of the B'S....

still, don't want to get into a Jumbo Joe debate except to say that "maybe" he could've been part of the solution rather than made out to be the problem....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[/QUOTE]

Well why didn't you hi-lite SOG .  I did it for you, thanks ; )

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Well why didn't you hi-lite SOG .  I did it for you, thanks ; )

OK.  I remember at least 4 shots wide or high.

50Below mentions icing the puck on the PP.

I recall at least 2 really crappy dump ins on the PP which allowed the Ducks to ice it immediately.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Oh very well.

1 G on 25 shots and 21 missed shots.  Most shot attempts on the team by 17.

-- Proud user of http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8vclq_sgc2c-69-chambraigne" rel="nofollow">Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"Book, i highly respect your opinion..."

[Mom?]

"...but feel that with the arrival of Z-man and the regime of PC & CJ, Jumbo Joe too would've contributed to a cup winner.... like NAS, i also think Joe wasn 't given a fair shake....

and still isn't...."

days-of-Orr, getting me started on JT Superstar is never a good idea....

You might be right about him contributing to the Bruins Cup Win, but honestly, I think PC would have dealt him.  I don't think PC would have paid him what the Sharks have paid him, and I don't think Thornton would have give then Bruins the numbers he gave the Sharks assuming most other things were equal.  Most importantly, that deal was a wake up call for him.  The most raw emotion I've ever seen him show are his response to the trade - his infamous, NBA PrimaDonnaesque, bellyaching about "the Bruins don't spend money to bring in good players but I'm the problem?" rant.  They spent money to bring you in arseface.  They spent money to bring in Guerin, Gonchar, Nylander....  Such a cop out.  Such a spoiled, entitled player by the end in Boston.  I badly wanted him to be the Modano/Lindros love child he was supposed to have been, but he was more like the accidental pregnancy after hate-sex on southern comfort and a bad futon.  Moody, mouthy, difficult to coach, centre of a clique-y dressing room.

I'll say it again and again: winning the trade is a media thing.  Good GMs really don't give a crap.  They make moves to execute a plan.  Now, do I believe Mike O'Connell had said plan?  No.  But do I think Chiarelli looked around the Cap world and said - this money that would have gone to Thornton?  Spend it on Chara and Savard.  Yes.  I don't think there's any scenario for the money to work with both Chara and Thornton unless they didn't sign Bergeron when they did.

Last thing about winning the trade though - sometimes you don't want equivalent current value.  If no one wanted to give up 5 firsts for JT Superstar, you don't want a package where you get, say, Marleau in return because you neither bottom out, as they did, nor do you address your needs.  Better to get a well-used set of Buffy the Vampire Slayer VHS cassettes for Thornton than just enough talent for you to win just enough games to draft tenth instead of 5th.

Are you not entertained?!?!

And just when you thought I was done...

Those who loved JT Superstar have really crushed the return in that deal, and frankly, it's a terrible hockey trade for a team about to bottom out.  But it's not as terrible as its reputation.  Marco Sturm?  He scored 77 goals in his first three year in Boston (55 games post trade plus two years).  JT Superstar?  71 goals in the same time.  Now, this in no way suggests Sturm is better than Thornton or served a bigger need.  It means he was a significant contributor to the Bruins and was part of their resurgence when they turned it around from the death spiral they were in with a team built around Thornton.  Stuart and Primeau's value is that they were dealt again.  In return, Ference was as much of a key piece as it's possible for a third pairing defenseman to be in two Cup finals runs.  He gave them flexibility to move him up the lineup.  Kobasew became a second rounder (Khokhlachev) plus Fallstrom and Weller, and Weller, in turn, was a piece in the trade that brought in both Seidenberg and Bartkowski.   So in addition to just clearing cap space and completely changing the culture (they went from being Joe Thornton's team to Chara's, Bergeron's...), the Bruins also cleaned house by sending Samsonov for the pick that became Lucic.  That's another consequence of moving JT Superstar.

Long (yeah, yeah) story short - I don't know that the Bruins are anywhere near what they are today if they hadn't dealt Thornton when they did.

Those who loved JT Superstar have really crushed the return in that deal, and frankly, it's a terrible hockey trade for a team about to bottom out.  But it's not as terrible as its reputation.  Marco Sturm?  He scored 77 goals in his first three year in Boston (55 games post trade plus two years).  JT Superstar?  71 goals in the same time.  Now, this in no way suggests Sturm is better than Thornton or served a bigger need.  It means he was a significant contributor to the Bruins and was part of their resurgence when they turned it around from the death spiral they were in with a team built around Thornton.  Stuart and Primeau's value is that they were dealt again.  In return, Ference was as much of a key piece as it's possible for a third pairing defenseman to be in two Cup finals runs.  He gave them flexibility to move him up the lineup.  Kobasew became a second rounder (Khokhlachev) plus Fallstrom and Weller, and Weller, in turn, was a piece in the trade that brought in both Seidenberg and Bartkowski.   So in addition to just clearing cap space and completely changing the culture (they went from being Joe Thornton's team to Chara's, Bergeron's...), the Bruins also cleaned house by sending Samsonov for the pick that became Lucic.  That's another consequence of moving JT Superstar.

Long (yeah, yeah) story short - I don't know that the Bruins are anywhere near what they are today if they hadn't dealt Thornton when they did.

[object HTMLDivElement]

sorry Jumbo Joe, i didn't mean to bring the wrath of Booker down on you....  no way i get into a debate with him either....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Glad I took you off ignore for the first time in two years.  This is a great look at the truth.

Oh yeah, and here's a Riddle.

Thornton+Seguin+Kessel=Hamill

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Oh yeah, and here's a Riddle.

Thornton+Seguin+Kessel=Hamill

Draft position.  1 + 2 + 5 = 8

What's the prize?  Copy of War and Peace?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Punk rock rant!  Excellent!  Scheisse,you  forgot Thornton was traded in November.  Wait six months and bingo the trade would have been better.  I thought it was dumb to trade in the time frame then and still do.  In the grand scheme of NHL connections the Neely trade is still bringing dividends. 

The rant made me think of my foolishness of not asking the most gorgeous of girls for date time in the way back machine.  She would, could, and probably in my dream state have been the love of my life.  Of course many of those went by the boards.  Fun read Book.  

PBS connections series revived! Oh yes you are just 30.  

[object HTMLDivElement]

• Sections
    Shortcuts