A View for the Playoffs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

A View for the Playoffs

I am content with the present makeup of the line-up. There is definite potential for playoff success. When it comes to defending, I don't think anyone can touch us.

The new players have been well received and have settled well. Kaberle has become comfortable enough to start joining in on the rush - something he hasn't done for a few years. Against Pit in the 3rd, he made several forays and was unlucky not to score on one ocassion.

From my viewpoint, there is only one thing missing: a speedy forward with a stinging shot. This player is one who doesn't need a regular shift but can be put out when the team starts falling asleep or the opposition turns the momentum in their favour. This forward will need to play the power play.

Once upon a time, the Canadiens had one such player: Yvan Cournoyer. When he came up, that was the way he was deployed and with much success.

We have a similar player available - Tyler Seguin. Claude should dig up some old tapes of those days to see how Toe Blake, Claude Ruel and Scotty integrated this deadly weapon and do the same.

Lucic (who Tim Thomas says "loves to be the hero") will need help. Horton can help but not on a consistent basis, but he plays on the same line. Ryder is much like Horton. We need scoring from other lines and other sources. Then I will be happy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: A View for the Playoffs

right on Wheatskins. on an earlier thread we listed the potential coaches for the playoffs where flexibility and instant decisions are very impotant. In comparison to the other coaches like Laviolette, Boucher, and the Canes coach, Claude comes up as a big dud. Boudreau is in the same boat as Claude, but Pittsburgh and the Rangers have some spirit and innovation in the coaching box.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Comparing a completely undeveloped 19 year old Tyler Seguin to Yvan Cornoyer is borderline delusional.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Cournoyer as a rookie 21 year old scored 7g 10a 17pt, but he added 3g 1a in the playoffs on a cup winner, maybe Seg can add the same or more on our cup winner.

Courn -the Road Runner was only 5'7", Seg is 6'1", 6 inches taller.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Re: A View for the Playoffs:
    Comparing a completely undeveloped 19 year old Tyler Seguin to Yvan Cornoyer is borderline delusional.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Not undeveloped, my friend, under-utilized.

No delusions are necessary to see this kid has more talent than Cournoyer or anyone else you may care to mention.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: A View for the Playoffs:
    In Response to Re: A View for the Playoffs : Not undeveloped, my friend, under-utilized. No delusions are necessary to see this kid has more talent than Cournoyer or anyone else you may care to mention.
    Posted by Wheatskins

I like Seguin, but tapping him as a Hall of Fame talent at this point is a lot premature.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I am with you wheatskins. The team is solid and has good depth for the first time since I can remember.

As for Seguin, I somewhat agree although I do not have a problem if he sits in the playoffs.  His time is not yet and Julien will use him as sparingly as possible. So be it....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

So...this is your schtick, Wheats?  Finding ways to play John the Pucktist to Seguin's franchise saviour?  'Cause you'll find your head on a platter that way pretty often.

I'm pretty confident that I know what I'm seeing when I watch a player, and right now I see a lot of talent and not a lot of comfort from Tyler.  He's not there mentally - not developed enough or experienced enough, but also simply not fully there.  The turnovers, the missed assignments...he hasn't been able to assimilate what he's had to learn to play at this level on a contending team.  He flashes signs, and it's pretty clear that the lessons only need time to go from things he knows to instincts he acts on (some have already kicked in), but he's not ready to be an impact player.  I'm hoping Claude picks his spots with him and gives him good positive exposure in the playoffs - none of this sitting him for games on end and playing Paille. 

Sections
Shortcuts