A Worrisome Fact about this Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

A Worrisome Fact about this Season

First, I'd like to say that all the new additions have found their place and contributed to an overall excellent season so far.

The worrisome fact that I see, this year, is the number of first timers that are playing their first 82-game grind in the NHL.

For those that have not given this a thought, the payers are:

Hamilton, Krug, Bartkowki, Miller, Soderberg, Smith, Caron and to a certain extent - Rask.

That is 8 of 22 players, 36.4%.

Four of the mentioned are defenseman, and with Seidenberg out, it will be even more taxing on them come mid-April when the real season comes.

Thankfully, this is an Olympic year, and all the mentioned will have a "vacation" thrown in to help their cause. Thank God, for that.

Overall, what will get most of them through is 'team play'. Under Julien, you never play alone.

In the end, I think team play will win out. At least, I hope it will.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

Re: A Worrisome Fact about this Season

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

First, I'd like to say that all the new additions have found their place and contributed to an overall excellent season so far.

The worrisome fact that I see, this year, is the number of first timers that are playing their first 82-game grind in the NHL.

For those that have not given this a thought, the payers are:

Hamilton, Krug, Bartkowki, Miller, Soderberg, Smith, Caron and to a certain extent - Rask.

That is 8 of 22 players, 36.4%.

Four of the mentioned are defenseman, and with Seidenberg out, it will be even more taxing on them come mid-April when the real season comes.

Thankfully, this is an Olympic year, and all the mentioned will have a "vacation" thrown in to help their cause. Thank God, for that.

Overall, what will get most of them through is 'team play'. Under Julien, you never play alone.

In the end, I think team play will win out. At least, I hope it will.

The Olympics should take care of that worry. More of a Worry is that you included Jordan Caron.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hamilton, Krug, Bartkowki, Miller

[/QUOTE]

If there is anything to worry about, it's that there is 66% of the defense!

But really, not enjoying hockey in February because you're even slightly worried about the playoffs is silly, Wheat.  We've seen great teams get the first round ouster and average team push deep.

Sit back, my friend.  Enjoy hockey.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

no way PC allows B'S to enter playoffs with Dougie, Krug & Bartkowski comprising 50% of the d-corps....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

no way PC allows B'S to enter playoffs with Dougie, Krug & Bartkowski comprising 50% of the d-corps....

[/QUOTE]

well, that's happening. get used to it. i agree that thtey'll trade for a d man, but right now bart> miller

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Lack of NHL playoff experience I believe is the biggest factor, but only 2 out of that list haven't been in the playoffs before - Miller and Smith.  And for that, playoff experience is a bigger factor for defensemen than forwards, so my list is narrowed down to only Miller.  I have confidence that he will be ok, maybe a couple of hard lessons along the way and maybe none if they pick up another defenseman at the deadline.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The kiddie corps has been terrific - Trotman and Warsofsky were credible D options when they were up, too.  Where you have to think the Bruins will want a vet with some playoff experience is to keep the opposition from gameplanning ways to take advantage of all that youth.  You saw Chicago do it to Krug last year - they started to pressure and trap him and he didn't have an answer.  They'll do the same kind of analysis on Bartkowski - for example, they'll notice how often he likes to slingshot out from behind the net and skate the puck up ice, and they'll set traps.  Hamilton's not as vulnerable to this kind of thing as far as I can see because he doesn't have quite the same set of tendencies, but I have no doubt "making him pay a price" will be on the menu if he plays big minutes.

So, yeah, a credible defensive veteran would work for me.  I wonder if Marc Methot's on their radar given that a) he was on Team Canada's radar as a steady, mobile, physical D back in teh summer and b) he's been a healthy scratch in Ottawa.  $3M on the books for next year, though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think Murray tries to add players to his roster not subtract. If you can't pry Phillips away from Murray don't bother. The Bruins don't need a Julien patch job. Boston needs a ton of high end minutes from a big ice-time logging bruiser like Seidenberg. 

I say PC will get that guy. Bartkowski and 2014 1st for Tallinder. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

I see no worries as the Bruins like last season are still the best playoff team in the east.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If I had a choice of Phillips or Methot right now, I'd take Methot.  Phillips is playing 3/4 minutes with Ottawa - fewer minutes per game on average than Methot with less offensive up-side, a worse +/-, more hits, more blocked shots, and about half as many give-aways.  He's faster, more agile, and almost a decade younger.  He's a better choice to munch minutes given that both would do fine in the Bruins' system, but people keep worrying about team speed.  Phillips would make them far slower.

I don't know if Ottawa wants a Bartkowski, though.  If they fall out of contention, maybe they do.  Bartkowski and ....  Maybe Spooner and ... given that he's from Ottawa.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Not questioning how good Methot is or isn't. But is "offensive upside" what the Bruins need from a defenseman right now ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to riptide757's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I see no worries as the Bruins like last season are still the best playoff team in the east.

[/QUOTE]

Seids injury will be more in evidence come playoff time....  don't see the B'S shutting down the Pens with this d-corps....

i'm sure PC sees this and that CJ has brought this up as well....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Murray tries to add players to his roster not subtract. If you can't pry Phillips away from Murray don't bother. The Bruins don't need a Julien patch job. Boston needs a ton of high end minutes from a big ice-time logging bruiser like Seidenberg. 

I say PC will get that guy. Bartkowski and 2014 1st for Tallinder. 

[/QUOTE]

i don't know Sandog, hefty price for a rental imo....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If I had a choice of Phillips or Methot right now, I'd take Methot.  Phillips is playing 3/4 minutes with Ottawa - fewer minutes per game on average than Methot with less offensive up-side, a worse +/-, more hits, more blocked shots, and about half as many give-aways.  He's faster, more agile, and almost a decade younger.  He's a better choice to munch minutes given that both would do fine in the Bruins' system, but people keep worrying about team speed.  Phillips would make them far slower.

I don't know if Ottawa wants a Bartkowski, though.  If they fall out of contention, maybe they do.  Bartkowski and ....  Maybe Spooner and ... given that he's from Ottawa.

[/QUOTE]

I'd take Methot, too. Bart and Spooner for Methot and something else?

I doubt Spooner being from Ottawa plays into this because I think Methot is from there too.

I have no interest in Phillips and don't see why we need to take the Sens washed up old defensemen every year just because Chiarelli has ties with them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, the point isn't that Methot has more offensive touch; it's that he's better across the board.  I don't know that Phillips really helps - he's heading for Doug Murray leadfoot territory.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, the point isn't that Methot has more offensive touch; it's that he's better across the board.  I don't know that Phillips really helps - he's heading for Doug Murray leadfoot territory.

[/QUOTE]  I think Methot is at least 5-6 years younger than Methot as well.

Bart and something for Methot and Kassian would sure up the D and give us a little extra bite at forward. Too bad we can't get someone to take on Jordan Caron.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

The 'core' of this squad, as well as CJ and PC, know what it takes to go deep in the postseason.  

And they've been to the Finals 2X as a unit (Bergey, Chara, Marachand, Lucic, Krejci, Soupy, Paille, McQuaid, Boychuck, Kelly, Rask and ST) = 12 guys on the roster who've been there in Black and Gold.  

That's a BIG deal.  I do think PC will add a vet d-first, D-man who can clock the minutes before the deadline.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

here's a list of potential ufa targets on defense that could come cheap....  C.Sarich, K.Quincey, N.Schultz, W.Mitchell, Matt Greene, M.Fayne, K.Timonen, D.Morris & M. Stuart....

you're welcome, PC....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:[QUOTE] I think Murray tries to add players to his roster not subtract. If you can't pry Phillips away from Murray don't bother. The Bruins don't need a Julien patch job. Boston needs a ton of high end minutes from a big ice-time logging bruiser like Seidenberg. 

I say PC will get that guy. Bartkowski and 2014 1st for Tallinder. [/QUOTE]

i don't know Sandog, hefty price for a rental imo....[/QUOTE]

Well I don't consider Chiarelli's 1st round drafting described as "hefty". More like "S****" Wink.

Going cheap would be another Mottau-Zanon-Redden just-ok-move. Not enough to replace the playoff minutes that Seidenberg would log. Of course our resident senior citizen Bruins scout that gums his tuna to death, would love a move like that.

"he's heading for Doug Murray leadfoot territory."

Slushing through the snow...