Able to make the Jump?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Able to make the Jump?

There was a fair amount of talk yesterday about a large mumber of these kids expected to make the jump and play for the big club next season.  Got me thinking, do the Bruins have any Junior prospects that might be able to play in Boston next year?  Obviously I have not seen Anthony Camara play, but his numbers are pretty impressive.  I'm not saying that he is Nathan MacKinnon, but his numbers are comparable.  The #1 pick in the draft had 75 points in 44 games with 32 goals.  Anthony had 60 points in 50 games with 36 goals.  My question is, if the prognosticators think that many of these kids in the top of the first round can play next year, than tell me why Anthony can't.  He is a left shot and is listed as a left wing, but does anyone know if he can play the off-wing?  Is he better than Knight, Cunningham, etc....?  If the B's move Peverley and Paille moves up to the third line, wouldn't it seem like he would make a pretty good fit on a line with Campbell and Thornton to start?  At least based on his stats, and youtube clips.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: Able to make the Jump?

At this point, I'm wondering why none of the imagined lineups for next year have Khokhlachev.  Has he really fallen so far off of the map?

I think there is an expectation at this point that there will be one slot at forward put up for grabs by the youngsters.  If no one makes the jump, we'll be looking at a Bourque redux.  Won't that be pleasant?

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

At this point, I'm wondering why none of the imagined lineups for next year have Khokhlachev.  Has he really fallen so far off of the map?

I think there is an expectation at this point that there will be one slot at forward put up for grabs by the youngsters.  If no one makes the jump, we'll be looking at a Bourque redux.  Won't that be pleasant?

DR - With Jagr and Horton leaving via the UFA train, that leaves 2 spots open.  Who are you suggesting fills the other spot?  I think KOKO has really fallen so far.  Not sure why?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

That's a good point, haven't heard anything of him lately. How has Koko been fairing?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

DR - With Jagr and Horton leaving via the UFA train, that leaves 2 spots open.  Who are you suggesting fills the other spot?  I think KOKO has really fallen so far.  Not sure why?

That other slot will probably belong to Soderberg, or possibly Caron (not sure I count him as a kid any more).  There could be some cheap UFA signing as well.  I don't think Chiarelli will want to leave two slots open.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I find myself puzzled with Koko. Some reports say he's a terrible skater while some others see it as his strong suit. I'm not sure how people can see such a difference when watching him. I've only seen him play a few times and his skating didn't jump out at me in either respect. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The hype over the kid never seemed to come from anyone credible, so I'm not even convinced he's "fallen off".  He came back from Russia and had a very strong half season in the OHL on a non-playoff team.  When he joined Providence, he wasn't able to force his way into the lineup for the playoffs and didn't exactly light it up.  Reality is, unless he has a mind-blowing camp, I think he's a guy with holes in his game <<coughprofessionalismcough>> who will benefit from a year in the A.  Much more likely that Spooner, Camper, Cunningham (I think he's my pick) or someone else make the jump than him.  Long list of couldBs.

Camara - similar story.  Chowdah's going to love this one.  Camara played much of the season on a line with Scheifele, and had never shown the kind of offensive punch he had before.  You can't really compare him, two years after his draft year, to Mackinnon in his draft year.  It just doesn't work that way. Camara could end up a good choice for third or fourth line minutes in the near future, but he needs to work on all aspects of his discipline and he'll benefit from AHL seasoning.

Could be interesting to see what Griffith does in camp.  He could have a Bobby Butler-like start and stick around just because he can finish and he's that rare thing in the Bruins system: a RW.

Are you not entertained?!?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Camara - similar story.  Chowdah's going to love this one.  Camara played much of the season on a line with Scheifele, and had never shown the kind of offensive punch he had before. 

[/QUOTE]

This is as simple of an explanation as one could give for Camara's growth as a player.

And may I add.......

Camara ( pre Scheifele ) - bottom 6 player who hits and fights........very little offense shown.

Camara ( with Scheifele ) - top line forward who has improved his offensive skills to be one of the best power forwards this past season.

Playing with Scheifele did wonders for Camara's game . Thank you Dale Hawerchuk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Khoklachev & Soderberg  Both brought into the same situation just on different levels, Never given enough time to gain the trust of their coaches in a very tough time of playoff hockey. Remember Koko was part of the Iglina mess & was even held out of the game for that. Has to be tough on a 18 yr old. Koko was a big part of Russia in the jr. tourney & played excellent 2 way hockey which probably got him the hype that he has.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think Camara should take advantage of his time in camp and exhibition games especially with the minutes that Thornton got in the playoffs. I think Anthony has a real shot, he's not going to be looked upon to score on the 4th line but he has more scoring touch than Thornton right now. He knows how to hit, I wouldn't be shocked if he seized Thorntons spot.

No way does Griffith surpass Cunningham nor Camper on the depth chart. I would be disappointed if Spooner doesn't have a good camp. Ryan needs to be ready for a shot at the 3rd line.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I think Camara should take advantage of his time in camp and exhibition games especially with the minutes that Thornton got in the playoffs. I think Anthony has a real shot, he's not going to be looked upon to score on the 4th line but he has more scoring touch than Thornton right now. He knows how to hit, I wouldn't be shocked if he seized Thorntons spot.

No way does Griffith surpass Cunningham nor Camper on the depth chart. I would be disappointed if Spooner doesn't have a good camp. Ryan needs to be ready for a shot at the 3rd line.

Thinking the same thing about Camara & Spooner.  Also interested to see what a healthy Jared Knight could do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to pucman's comment:

Khoklachev & Soderberg  Both brought into the same situation just on different levels, Never given enough time to gain the trust of their coaches in a very tough time of playoff hockey. Remember Koko was part of the Iglina mess & was even held out of the game for that. Has to be tough on a 18 yr old. Koko was a big part of Russia in the jr. tourney & played excellent 2 way hockey which probably got him the hype that he has.

Koko couldn't crack the P-Bruins lineup for their playoffs. That suggests to me he needs time in the AHL before an NHL job is considered.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

I would also love to see this.  I liked him in what OHL games i was able to watch of him.  If he can just physically keep up with the NHL level of play, i think he has much more of a shot than people realize.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

[QUOTE]

I would also love to see this.  I liked him in what OHL games i was able to watch of him.  If he can just physically keep up with the NHL level of play, i think he has much more of a shot than people realize.

[/QUOTE]

He's got too much Raffi Torres in his game for my liking at the moment. I agree he's got a real shot at being an NHL'er if he keeps his head on straight. So far he's been a loose cannon on the ice. He really cost his team by being suspended in the playoffs and he deserved every game of it. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

No arguments there Dez.  If the kid can keep it clean and learn early on, he could be a real force though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

No arguments there Dez.  If the kid can keep it clean and learn early on, he could be a real force though.

He crushes people and he's got some scoring touch. That combination of skills will always be in demand. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

koko was the providence teams soderberg. he had JUST started playing NA professional hockey when the playoffs had started. The kid is 19, and has played 11 professional hockey games in north america in his life. he hasn't fallen off, he's just not sidney crosby. Give the kid a break. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

He crushes people and he's got some scoring touch. That combination of skills will always be in demand. 

[/QUOTE]

Other than the world juniors i haven't seen enough of Camara to know if he has a scoring touch but the physical part was certainly evident. His OHL stats showed he can score when working with a skilled centerman. Does his game have the potential to be like Lucic's or is that too much to expect? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

koko was the providence teams soderberg. he had JUST started playing NA professional hockey when the playoffs had started. The kid is 19, and has played 11 professional hockey games in north america in his life. he hasn't fallen off, he's just not sidney crosby. Give the kid a break. 

Not the case.  He played juniors for the Spitfires in North America for around 150 games, athough not professional, he does know the NA game & rinks compared to Soderberg.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Not the case.  He played juniors for the Spitfires in North America for around 150 games, athough not professional, he does know the NA game & rinks compared to Soderberg.

okay. so you're saying that junior players never have a tough time making the jump from junior to pro. I would think there are probably some subtle differences playing against men. so, I think it is entirely the case. Was anyone really expecting this guy to make the NHL squad after 11 AHL games? I would argue that Koko has a tougher transition than Soda. Sure, the rink isn't quite as wide over here, but he was playing against men, not 16-20 year olds. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Camara - similar story.  Chowdah's going to love this one.  Camara played much of the season on a line with Scheifele, and had never shown the kind of offensive punch he had before. 

This is as simple of an explanation as one could give for Camara's growth as a player.

And may I add.......

Camara ( pre Scheifele ) - bottom 6 player who hits and fights........very little offense shown.

Camara ( with Scheifele ) - top line forward who has improved his offensive skills to be one of the best power forwards this past season.

Playing with Scheifele did wonders for Camara's game . Thank you Dale Hawerchuk.

[/QUOTE]

You've seen these guys play together @ Barrie and I haven't, I like your take on the impact that Scheifele has had on Camara's game.

Worth pointing out that Camara was 8-4-12 in 11 gp w/out Scheifele.  Lower P/GP, but just about the same G/GP (slightly higher).  Do you think Camara helped Scheifele's game as well?

All of this would seem to bode well for Camara going forward, a kid that doesn't turn 20 until September.  He just needs to stop getting suspended.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Other than the world juniors i haven't seen enough of Camara to know if he has a scoring touch but the physical part was certainly evident. His OHL stats showed he can score when working with a skilled centerman. Does his game have the potential to be like Lucic's or is that too much to expect? 

[/QUOTE]

I personally see him as likely to be more of a Jordan Tootoo type of player. Lucic is just so much bigger and knows how to use it. I'm a fan of Tootoo by the way.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[/QUOTE]

okay. so you're saying that junior players never have a tough time making the jump from junior to pro. I would think there are probably some subtle differences playing against men. so, I think it is entirely the case. Was anyone really expecting this guy to make the NHL squad after 11 AHL games? I would argue that Koko has a tougher transition than Soda. Sure, the rink isn't quite as wide over here, but he was playing against men, not 16-20 year olds. 

[/QUOTE]

I was simply pointing out that Soderberg played large ice surface euro hockey and Koko has been in the NA game for 3 years.  I am not down on KOKO, as I haven't seen him play.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

"I think Koko really has fallen so far" - MeanE

so what did you mean by that then?