About hockey but not the Bruins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: About hockey but not the Bruins

In Response to About hockey but not the Bruins:
    Just need to vent to some knowledgeable hockey fans, but I've been following the Phoenix Coyotes ownership saga closely (I'm originally a Winnipegger and used to cheer for the Jets in the west and Bruins in the east). This has gone beyond ridiculous and even comedy of errors. As most of you know on Dec. 14, the Coyotes new potential owner reached a lease agreement with Glendale that would see him receive 100 million upfront from the city (paid for by a bond issue) and 97 million over the  next five years to operate the arena. This insane deal was approved by their council, saying they had a study that showed parking fees would cover the bond issue. But now a few things have happened: -The city is having difficulty getting the bonds together, as the market has dropped out, and they've yet to issue them -The NHL's soft deadline for the sale passed three weeks ago. -The Goldwater Insitute is about to launch a lawsuit and possible court injunction against the sale because it seemingly violates state law. - A 112 page report that the city had BEFORE the vote has come to light, and it provs tat parkng WON'T cover the bond (in other words the government lied and has been caught doing so) - Now according to the Arizona Republic the deal could fall apart completely at any moment and the Coyotes are back to square on. -Their attendance is still lowest in the league despite assurances that it would increase after an owner was announed. It has in fact decreased since Dec. 14. My question: When the holy %^&*(!!! is this going to end and Bettman will finally admit that hockey does not work in Phoenix?! The 19th richest person on the planet (with a personal worth of about 20 billion dollars) wants to by the team and move them to a ready market and building in Winnipeg, and the NHL already has an agreement in principle to do just that (signedlast May). When are they going to give up on this fool's errand and just pull the plug already? It's been two years already for this mess.
    Posted by red75

I don't think Bettman is ever going to admit failure (as obvious as it may be to the casual observer).There are too many teams to begin with and it only becomes more frustrating when we see players and franchises wasting away in cities that people just don't care about hockey(if they're even aware of it).Columbus doesn't seem to work and Atlanta's failing as a hockey city for the 2nd time.Both Florida teams are hurting and T Bay has a great team.If Stamkos and Co. can't sell tickets there's something wrong.The NHL should eventually give in and admit that hockey is a much easier sell in Canada and that they will never be anything other than that other sport to the average American.To the average Canadian,hockey is far more important than baseball,football,and definitely basketball.Why not just sell the game where folks want to buy it(or maybe we're too easy a sell)?
    Eventually the NHL will be back in Winnipeg and Q City but right now it seems the rich owners are happy with the status quo.Because of that it's unlikely much will change until Bettman's finally gone.The sooner the better.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: About hockey but not the Bruins:
    In Response to About hockey but not the Bruins : I don't think Bettman is ever going to admit failure (as obvious as it may be to the casual observer).There are too many teams to begin with and it only becomes more frustrating when we see players and franchises wasting away in cities that people just don't care about hockey(if they're even aware of it).Columbus doesn't seem to work and Atlanta's failing as a hockey city for the 2nd time.Both Florida teams are hurting and T Bay has a great team.If Stamkos and Co. can't sell tickets there's something wrong.The NHL should eventually give in and admit that hockey is a much easier sell in Canada and that they will never be anything other than that other sport to the average American.To the average Canadian,hockey is far more important than baseball,football,and definitely basketball.Why not just sell the game where folks want to buy it(or maybe we're too easy a sell)? Eventually the NHL will be back in Winnipeg and Q City but right now it seems the rich owners are happy with the status quo.Because of that it's unlikely much will change until Bettman's finally gone.The sooner the better.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I think the failure of Atlanta this time around has a lot to say about where teams should be relocated. Atlanta is the only case in which the NHL has gone back to a southern market after an initial failure. It's also the only case where revisiting a market has turned into a failure the second time around. The league has gone back to the Bay Area, Denver, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, and Minnesota as well. Only Atlanta has failed a second time. I think that says oodles about the southern US as a market

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

After hearing Bettman on his weekly radio show say that "I won't abandon fans when I see that there might be a solution" that was in October when he gave another soft deadline for November which of course passed. Winnipeg will get a team whether it is Florida, Atlanta or Phoenix just a matter of time.

Bettman isn't going anywhere he was just extended and he makes the richer owners much richer so Gary stays. What will happen during the next three or so NHL Board of directors meetings is "Gary go find better owners for Florida and Atlanta or move them" because the board doesn't want to keep operating teams that are losing money. IMO Quebec, Winnipeg and Milwaukee will eventually get teams moved to those cities.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Not sure but the Brown Thrasher are not in Winnipeg in Winter, so a name change would be required. Can't have a winter team with a summer mascot.

How about the Winnipeg Hairy Wood Peckers or for short the hairy Peckers.

With a pic of Bettm under the name.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'm still hoping they'll call them the Red River Rebellion.

But I just want this over. Stay in Glendale, don't stay in Glendale. I don't care anymore. It's been two years - make a decision already.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Also, I agree with Milwaukee - though Portland, Seattle, KC, Hartford, Cincinatti, and Southern Ontario deserve consideration as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

The Coyotes were a mere hours of relocating to Winnipeg last year.  Bettman has already stated publicly that Winnipeg was the first city that will get a team.  Within the next 5-10 years, there will be up to 5 teams that will move.  Coyotes, Atlanta, Florida, Nashville, Carolina, and the New York Islanders.  In order these cities will get teams, Winnipeg, Quebec, Hartford, Las Vegas, Kansas City.  I was on staff for the first year of the Coyotes.  It was a lie from the beginning, Jerry Colangelo swindled the NHL to move into the then America West Arena, which was built for basketball.  He lied about how many obstructed view seats there were and the NHL did not verify.  There were approx. 5,000 seats that could not see one goal.  He said he would be a financial partner, he wasn't, he said he would share suite revenue, he didn't.  Jerry just wanted to fill dates in his building and when the IHL Pheonix Roadrunners would not sell the team to him, he vowed to bring in the NHL.

Then they build a new arena on the wrong side of the valley,  the hockey fans and the money are on the east side not the west side.  They hired the "great one" as the highest paid "coach" ever, he was horrible.  They had Doug Moss, also one of the highest paid executives in the league,  running the team into the ground.  It's a wonder how that guy continues to get jobs, he destroys entire leagues for crying out loud, see IHL. Blunder after blunder has been made in the desert, time to send the Yotes back where they belong in Winnipeg.  Celebrate with the winter wives carnival, goals for kids, and the "original" white out!  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

First, thanks for the info Red. This whole post was quite informative. I know a lot of the locals get upset when we veer from non Bruins-related topics, but this was great.

Second, it seems like a no-brainer that Bettman et al. have contingency plans for relocation. I get the sense that if the league decides to pull out of a failing market like Phoenix or Hotlanta, then the move will be ultra fast (like when the Colts left Balitmore in the dead of night decades ago).

Third, if Bettman is worried about the PR effect of moving a team, then the time is now for such a move. The NFL is about to lock-out, the NBA has similar labor problems and the NBA is also facing other franchise relocation issues (just read that New Orleans just "saved" the Hornets). Frankly, a meddling NHL team moving in the next few months won't generate that much negative publicity.

Fourth ... well, I won't riff on how sick it makes me that taxpayers in Phoenix and elsewhere are being forced to support wealthy sports owners.

Thanks again Red!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

After hearing Bettman on his weekly radio show say that "I won't abandon fans when I see that there might be a solution" that was in October when he gave another soft deadline for November which of course passed. Winnipeg will get a team whether it is Florida, Atlanta or Phoenix just a matter of time. Bettman isn't going anywhere he was just extended and he makes the richer owners much richer so Gary stays. What will happen during the next three or so NHL Board of directors meetings is "Gary go find better owners for Florida and Atlanta or move them" because the board doesn't want to keep operating teams that are losing money. IMO Quebec, Winnipeg and Milwaukee will eventually get teams moved to those cities.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin
    What??? Think we won't see a return of the San Diego Gulls? If the U.S. gets another team, I hope it is Portland where I may be moving to instead of Milwaukee.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

You all make good sense, so why not start a blog to Bettman pushing your perspective. Is there a way to do that?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

The Coyotes were a mere hours of relocating to Winnipeg last year.  Bettman has already stated publicly that Winnipeg was the first city that will get a team.  Within the next 5-10 years, there will be up to 5 teams that will move.  Coyotes, Atlanta, Florida, Nashville, Carolina, and the New York Islanders.  In order these cities will get teams, Winnipeg, Quebec, Hartford, Las Vegas, Kansas City.  I was on staff for the first year of the Coyotes.  It was a lie from the beginning, Jerry Colangelo swindled the NHL to move into the then America West Arena, which was built for basketball.  He lied about how many obstructed view seats there were and the NHL did not verify.  There were approx. 5,000 seats that could not see one goal.  He said he would be a financial partner, he wasn't, he said he would share suite revenue, he didn't.  Jerry just wanted to fill dates in his building and when the IHL Pheonix Roadrunners would not sell the team to him, he vowed to bring in the NHL. Then they build a new arena on the wrong side of the valley,  the hockey fans and the money are on the east side not the west side.  They hired the "great one" as the highest paid "coach" ever, he was horrible.  They had Doug Moss, also one of the highest paid executives in the league,  running the team into the ground.  It's a wonder how that guy continues to get jobs, he destroys entire leagues for crying out loud, see IHL. Blunder after blunder has been made in the desert, time to send the Yotes back where they belong in Winnipeg.  Celebrate with the winter wives carnival, goals for kids, and the "original" white out!  
    Posted by MeanE

Great Read!!!!
    Another example of the NHL not doing their homework. Makes you wonder how they survive. Well, we know how they survive, fans like us that stick with it in spite of the idiocy that goes on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Where there is smoke ...

NHL denies Coyotes deal has failed

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2011/01/26/17046191.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Where there is smoke ... NHL denies Coyotes deal has failed http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2011/01/26/17046191.html
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory

It's typical.Why would they bother admitting what everyone already knows?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

You gotta love how the Phoenix Businss journal is now trying to use Winnipeg and True North as a scapegoat for the likely hood or them losing the Coyotes. Nothing like putting the responsibility on someone else, who never had anything to do with it.

Not surprised it's collapsing though - the stuff I tracked down and put in the start of thi thread made it fairly evident this was a possibility. If they can't find a buyer for this team, eachand  every league owner takes a hit. How much you want to make a bet that Jacobs wouldn't be too thrilled about being $6 million out of pocket because of the Coyotes?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

There's a lot of noise in Quebec City, boys. 

I predict in 2013 two teams will relocate to Winnipeg and Quebec City.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: About hockey but not the Bruins : What??? Think we won't see a return of the San Diego Gulls? If the U.S. gets another team, I hope it is Portland where I may be moving to instead of Milwaukee.Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory

Ha Ha ye ol Gulls they did ty the Red Wings for most wins in a season with 62 in 92-93 LoL!

I do agree with you and Red that eventually NHL would survive in the Pacific Northwest Seattle or Portland.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

//There's a lot of noise in Quebec City, boys.//

True enough.  Marcel Aubut, former owner of the Nordiques recently held a massive rally in Quebec City attended by former stars of the team like Peter Stastny and Michel Goulet in aid of beating the drums to return the NHL to the region.  I think i saw where he guaranteed a club for that town.

Just wondering if there has been any talk of Jim Balsilie being in the mix of all this.  He's certainly got the dough but I've read despite Bettman's claims of having no animosity towards him, he stepped on a lot of toes in his pitch to move (was it Phoenix?) to Hamilton, Ontario a few years ago.  Wasn't he selling season tickets before being awarded the franchise?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

When Balsillie tried to sell those season tickets it was actually during his attempt to buy the Predators, his attempt at an NHL team before the Coyotes, and after his shot at the Penguins.

As for his chance at being an NHL owner, it's a big fat zero. Two years ago during the bankruptcy hearings on the Coyotes, the NHL BOG held a vote on who they would approve  as a potential owner in principle. Both Reinsdorf and Ice Edge were approved. The vote on Balsillie was unanimous - against him. All 30 owners voted against approving him as an owner. No idea why, likely because he peed in their pool, but the BOG has turned him down as a potential owner unanimously saying he is unfit (yeah, I laughed at that too).

Speaking of laughing

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2011/01/26/17050241.html

An article on this most recent chaos that had me laughing out loud. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

You all make good sense, so why not start a blog to Bettman pushing your perspective. Is there a way to do that?
    Posted by bogie6

I support this site jetsowner.com

The guy who runs it actually has good contacts with Daly and Bettman as well as HNIC, the NHLPA and True North. He is the guy who started the movement to get the league back to Winnipeg.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Here in Columbus where I reside, attendance at the Blue Jackets game is definitely down and a lot of that has to do with them putting a poor product on the ice. Same old boring team. Its painful to watch them. Also, they had a chance to get some acquisitions in the off season and picked up 1 or 2 players that really dont impact anything....Basically just roster fillers. They still have one of the lowest over all caps in the league.

I do beleive if they were to bring in some named talent and winning some more games that the fans would definitely attend. Up until the past 2 years the BJ's have had pretty good attendance, but after being in the league 10 seasons now and only making the playoffs once....CMON get with it....Ridiculous if you ask me.

Sections
Shortcuts