ABOUT TIME THE NHL MOVES TO END ALL BLOWS TO THE HEAD +HEAD-SHOT FIGHTS!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

ABOUT TIME THE NHL MOVES TO END ALL BLOWS TO THE HEAD +HEAD-SHOT FIGHTS!

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/news/story?id=6544238

SORRRY but for those of you who love the tradition of the enforcer smacking around others into the boards and fighting by taking unlimited tough guy blows to the head, this is the usual end result. hockey will have to clean up its game a bit. this guy had a concussion and missed 52 games, tells you it was severe. not willing to believe that was his first brain injury. dont be shocked if it turns out he had a defective brain like the other 2 enforcer types of recent memory who died in similar ways.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raithrover. Show raithrover's posts

Re: ANOTHER ENFORCER GONE TOO SOON, IS IT TIME TO END ALL BLOWS TO THE HEAD +HEAD-SHOT FIGHTS?

Bit too soon to be saying rash statements like that, Wait untill we find out more about cause of death, The big guy would have been checked out to the max by doctors after his concussion so would think that any brain problems may have been found during scans.
    He was a big man and big men are also prone to heart problems due to thier size, it could be anything and not neccessarily hockey related.
    This is really tragic but lets not jump to conclusions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

Re: ANOTHER ENFORCER GONE TOO SOON, IS IT TIME TO END ALL BLOWS TO THE HEAD +HEAD-SHOT FIGHTS?

Wow. First of all I love this guy, or should I say loved? He was a beast. Secondly, he knew exactly what he was doing in the NHL. Please tell me, what skills did he have except for the whole tough guy/fighting thing? Thirdly, lets not jump to conclusions. Most likely this was heart or substance related.

RIP DB

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: ANOTHER ENFORCER GONE TOO SOON, IS IT TIME TO END ALL BLOWS TO THE HEAD +HEAD-SHOT FIGHTS?:
    Bit too soon to be saying rash statements like that, Wait untill we find out more about cause of death, The big guy would have been checked out to the max by doctors after his concussion so would think that any brain problems may have been found during scans. He was a big man and big men are also prone to heart problems due to thier size, it could be anything and not neccessarily hockey related. This is really tragic but lets not jump to conclusions.
    Posted by raithrover
    well, perhaps i am jumping the gun just a little bit but from what i know, you can not detect chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). there are no known or proven tests or scans. you have to die first then they open up your brain in order to make a diagnosis. the professional ex-wrestler chris nowinski is a pioneer in this area. google him. perhaps there are soe on these forums whom we could open up their brains while they are alive (for there's little to nothing there) but for others, that would mean instant death or vegetativeness. you couldnt ethically do it. 

with all these professional wrestling, football and soccer guys dying so early and becoming vegaetables at an alarming rates, CTE has beeen in the news because most of these guys have been found to have been living with defective brains. most substance abuse, as in the case of the late great bob probert, is related to CTE. it alters their entire personality that often taking drugs is the only way they can cope. they are literally going crazy. believe it or not, its an epidemic in soccer. recently the italian and german federations started sponsoring cte studies for MANY of their ex-star players have BEEN dying and becoming vegetables in their late 30s and 40s. in soccer, its because of all the balls these guys head at fast speeds and the elbows to the head many of the top strikers contend with. the nfl has nowinski's group in as consultants. they are the ones that mde goodell alter the nfl's concussion policies and punishment for hits to the head. as far as i know, the nhl still has no such policy nor has it done the same level of research. 

i love the game but we must do more to protect these guys. ultimately, hockey is just a pimple on the bigger a-s-s of their lives. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to ANOTHER ENFORCER GONE TOO SOON, IS IT TIME TO END ALL BLOWS TO THE HEAD +HEAD-SHOT FIGHTS?:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/news/story?id=6544238 SORRRY but for those of u who love the tradition of the enforcer smacking around others into the boards and fighting by taking unlimited tough guy blows to the head, this is the usaul ebd result. hockey will have to clean up its game a bit. this guy had a concussion and missed 52 games, tells u it was severe. not willing to believe that was his first brain injury. dont be shocked if it turns out he had a defective brain like the other 2 enforcer types of recent memory who died in similar ways.
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

Are you talking about Kordic and Probert?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Which two enforcers?

Probert had a heart attack.  (just read his book.  good read).
    Kordic died of lung failure/heart malfunction as a result of an overdose.

I think this is a bit premature as well.  I mean this could have been a suicide for all we know.  Possibly a drug OD.  Enlarged heart.  Who knows. 

I wasn't a fan of his game.  Wish his family the best.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I find it comical that for someone who is  "not a big hockey fan" by his own admission, is now trying to set NHL policy.  Just when you think you've seen it all...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigChara. Show BigChara's posts

Too bad, only 28 y old. From what I've read too, it sounds like he was a nice guy. I hope this wasn't fighting/concussion related. If it was, then maybe it is time to take fighting out of the game. If not, then I'll reserve judgment, but you have to admit it's a bit odd that the NHL has gone to great lengths to cut down on head shots, but we still say it's okay for two players to take turns punching each other in the head. Strange, really. Then again, I have to admit, I'm as guilty as anyone. I love it when Thornton, Lucic, McQuaid, Chara, whoever on the Black and Gold administer a beatdown to an opponent. Probably not fair, I admit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jake1977. Show Jake1977's posts

In Response to Re: ANOTHER ENFORCER GONE TOO SOON, IS IT TIME TO END ALL BLOWS TO THE HEAD +HEAD-SHOT FIGHTS?:
    In Response to Re: ANOTHER ENFORCER GONE TOO SOON, IS IT TIME TO END ALL BLOWS TO THE HEAD +HEAD-SHOT FIGHTS? : well, perhaps i am jumping the gun just a little bit but from what i know, you can not detect chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). there are no known or proven tests or scans. you have to die first then they open up your brain in order to make a diagnosis. the professional ex-wrestler chris nowinski is a pioneer in this area. google him. perhaps there are soe on these forums whom we could open up their brains while they are alive (for there's little to nothing there) but for others, that would mean instant death or vegetativeness. you couldnt ethically do it.  with all these professional wrestling, football and soccer guys dying so early and becoming vegaetables at an alarming rates, CTE has beeen in the news because most of these guys have been found to have been living with defective brains. most substance abuse, as in the case of the late great bob probert, is related to CTE. it alters their entire personality that often taking drugs is the only way they can cope. they are literally going crazy. believe it or not, its an epidemic in soccer. recently the italian and german federations started sponsoring cte studies for MANY of their ex-star players have BEEN dying and becoming vegetables in their late 30s and 40s. in soccer, its because of all the balls these guys head at fast speeds and the elbows to the head many of the top strikers contend with. the nfl has nowinski's group in as consultants. they are the ones that mde goodell alter the nfl's concussion policies and punishment for hits to the head. as far as i know, the nhl still has no such policy nor has it done the same level of research.  i love the game but we must do more to protect these guys. ultimately, hockey is just a pimple on the bigger a-s-s of their lives. 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

It's a bit too soon to jump on your soapbox, don't you think?  Lets wait and see what the cause of death was.  RIP Boogieman

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Boogie man definitely didnt take as many as he gave.  If anything maybe he had a blod clot in his right hand from mushing skulls

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'll put down money that this was a suicide.

Search the web for images of him smiling, you can barely find any and of the ones with him smiling it appears like his face can't even form a smile.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

It's a sad day when anyone is cut down in their primary years, but let's separate the issues. Hockey has had reactionary fighting since it's inception, based on the speed, emotion, and hard, but legal, checking. The latent implimentation of "goon" enforcers, who stage a fight to excite the crowd, is not hockey, and should be eliminated. That doesn't mean eliminate spontaneous fights, as they will happen , as long as the game is played. Sad day for the Boogard family, and for any of us who have lost a child, at any age.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If the end "head shot fights", what will they do?  Both guys pull up their sleeves and give each other Indian burns until one winces? 

They haven't even released the cause of death yet.  And when they do, if it's brain trauma, well, I guess he should have either been a better fighter or chosen a different profession. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cberbes. Show cberbes's posts

Let's wait and find out what he died from before we start turning the NHL into ice capades.....more so than it already is.

There has been very little testing in regards to concussions and head injuries leading to these players dying to start throwing out "ban hittting" comments.  Heck, how many "old timers" out there played in a time before helmets and lived long lives?

People need to stop reading the headlines and looking past the version of events they want you to see.  Bob Probert is a great example, when he died and his brain was examined the finger was pointed at his fights and constantly being hit into the boards.  People seem to forget he was also quite the coke head....I don't mean to speak ill of the dead, but it's a fact.  Was he a drug abuser who played hockey, or a hockey player who dabbled in drugs?  Nobody can answer that for certian.  But in the end of the day, there has been no proof to show us that the game itself and the way it is played is leading to these untimely deaths.

I'm not blind to the fact that concussions are up, but that could be for a number of factors.  Players are stronger, faster, the seamless glass is not as forgiving, players wear more armor, and quite frankly they pay more attention to minor concussions.  It would be no different than if they started forcing every player who suffers a knee injury off the ice for weeks at a time instead of simply wrapping them up and putting them back out there....people would be giving us stats about how knee injuries are on he rise.

Take a step back for a second, look at the WHOLE picture.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, slow down a bit.  There could be any number of causes for this.  Even if it is related to a concussion, it should be made clear that very, very few concussion happen from fights, as opposed to regular hockey plays.  Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

I think suicide for enforcers/fighters is higher than other players (no data, just my opinion).  Terrence Tootoo and Trevor Ettinger come to mind as other big PIM players who took their lives.  We'll see what details come out.

RIP Boogeyman

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

This is sad. RIP Boogieman!

Why is everybody assuming a concussion caused his death? As far as we know from that article is he fell through his fish tank and cut himself.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

• NAS...how about paper/scissors/rocks? ha ha. RWTK(BB)...who the ef do you think you are? you have an inflated sense of self. 99% of your posts are inflammatory. you usually start off with calling a name(this time it was tool), followed by letting us know how much you know about hockey/how little they know. then you proceed to claim how someone is childish or immature for disagreeing with you. you usually have to tell us how smart you are, not to mention how logical you are. got news for you, if you have to tell people how smart you are- you're only trying to convince yourself. i will have to commend you on getting through a post without mentioning jacobs...it was tough for you i know.  why not try adding to the discussion, instead of making personal attacks. you are a miserable sob.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

Yeah let's blame AIDS on concussions now as well. It's really getting boring...most likely a bad heart or drugs. Max Smeling was a boxer...beat Joe Louis...he died a couple years ago at 99...getting hit in the head by Joe Louis didn't shorten his life at all.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

How about people get a grasp of the English language first, and learn proper grammar and spelling, along with sentence structure.  Posts like this make me wonder how many posters on this site have "defective brain".  This is such an asinine post that I didn't vote and didn't WANT to respond.  What a joke.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cberbes. Show cberbes's posts

bigvig,

It's a message forum big guy, not English 101.  If you are expecting proper grammar, you are looking in the wrong place.

For the record, there was no need to use quotation marks when typing "defective brain".  You could have quoted "defective" if you were referencing a previous statement but the word brain would not need to be placed in quotation marks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Yeah let's blame AIDS on concussions now as well. It's really getting boring...most likely a bad heart or drugs. Max Smeling was a boxer...beat Joe Louis...he died a couple years ago at 99...getting hit in the head by Joe Louis didn't shorten his life at all.
    Posted by nash99
    balme the messenger. obviously there are many exceptions. we are talking statistics, the mean, the trend. just use common sense. if u make a living getting hit in the head or falling on your head or using your head for any reason, it would stand to reason that you would have much higher rates of concussions and brain injuries. apart from guys who get beaned or elbowed, i don see basketball players and baseball guys or golf or tennis guys do not tend to have these issues. its not like getting a knee injurt for one can function just fine without a good knee or with knee replacements. perhaps some of my critics here should volunteer for a brain transplant and see how that works out. some of u may have nothing to lose. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Greatseason. Show Greatseason's posts

bigvig, It's a message forum big guy, not English 101.  If you are expecting proper grammar, you are looking in the wrong place. For the record, there was no need to use quotation marks when typing "defective brain".  You could have quoted "defective" if you were referencing a previous statement but the word brain would not need to be placed in quotation marks.
    Posted by cberbes

Don't even try to argue with them... '' THEY THINK THEY'RE  ALWAYS RIGHT WHEN YOU DON'T THINK LIKE THEM''

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to ANOTHER ENFORCER GONE TOO SOON, IS IT TIME TO END ALL BLOWS TO THE HEAD +HEAD-SHOT FIGHTS? : Are you talking about Kordic and Probert?
    Posted by hangnail
    mostly about probert. his family noticed a lot of bizarre behavior before his unfortunate demise and they agreed to donate his brain. funny how the families of so many of these athletes are the ones making the connection and making the greatest push for intervention. his brain turned out to be totally dcompromised, one of the worse they had ever seen. suicides, drug use, issues with the law like bizarre speed chases, anger mannagement and lack of impulse control issues area all symptoms and likely results. at least now you have guys like terry bradshaw and jim mcmahon in football coming out about the terrible memory loss and chronic depression and suicidal thoughts they no suffer from. suffering alone and living your pain in silence due to some dumb code has outlived any sense of virtue. hockey is way behind the times in this arena. 

there is no sport i have ever enjoyed more watching in person than hockey. its a very beautiful game. i do not see why we cant keep the best parts of the game and even allow some of the same scuffles you have in the nba and the nfl and still enjoy the game. its time for the non-stop blows and gladiator-enforcer types dropping their gloves to mercillessly savage another guy's brains has to stop. just using common sense says so. y do we need to wait for all the facts to come in just for hockey? its not obvious from observing the realities of boxing, football and soccer? do hockey players have different kinds of brains? i will not ban boxing or mma for its a different deal. one sihns up for that with every expectation of being hit in the head. perhaps we could limit how many concussions (knock-outs or knock-downs) a guy is allowed to have befoore he has to find a new line of work or take time off or how many weeks between fights he needs to have before he can come back. i grew up in a rough and tussle world myself but times must change with new facts. 

look at sidney crosby. are we better off without him or him having to risk permanent memory loss or brain damage to play our beautiful sport? he was cheap-shotted in the head. that goon should be gone for the season if not more and shunned. there should be a zero-tolerance policy. a crosby is more valuable than some goon with limited skills majoring in head-shot checks to star players and head-shot fighting. enough is enough.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

I find it comical that for someone who is  "not a big hockey fan" by his own admission, is now trying to set NHL policy.  Just when you think you've seen it all...
    Posted by hangnail
    sorrry dude i am first and foremost a HUMAN-FAN before i'm a sports fan!

Sections
Shortcuts