Above/Below the crossbar????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Above/Below the crossbar????

I can't believe that the brightest minds in hockey chose to institute this mind numbing rule.  Whether it was or wasn't a goal is moot.  What is absolutely ridiculous, is to expect referee's or video replay to conclusively make the call.  If there is traffic in front of the net, or the puck is tipped more than 15 feet out, there's a good chance that the crossbar and the tip aren't even in the same video frame, which makes the league rely on wide angle video to make their decision.
    The league braintrust should take a collective 2 minutes, and change this ridiculous rule to something more workable.  There are few examples in pro sport, where a time tested, callable infraction has been replaced with a more muddled one. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Above/Below the crossbar????

As Jack argued with Brick last night that would be to logical and as we've seen Steve. The NHL moves at a snails pace when updating ancient ridiculous rules.

The logic (loosely) is that the tip last night would suggest (being nice) that the tip from that far out the player had to have his stick way above the crossbar but that is not stated in the rule as the video has to be conclusive. Much too complex for the attorney's that run the NHL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Above/Below the crossbar????:
    [QUOTE]As Jack argued with Brick last night that would be to logical and as we've seen Steve. The NHL moves at a snails pace when updating ancient ridiculous rules. The logic (loosely) is that the tip last night would suggest (being nice) that the tip from that far out the player had to have his stick way above the crossbar but that is not stated in the rule as the video has to be conclusive. Much too complex for the attorney's that run the NHL.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Saw the game on Center Ice last nite Sandog.  Their feed featured the Florida announcers, and basically nothing was said about the goal, or the rule.  Woulda liked to have heard what Brick and Jack were saying.
    Thing that irks me about this rule, is that it's not some traditional thing, that they don't want to mess with(see icing).  It's relatively new one they dreamed up, and it's nuts.  Way more convoluted than the original(stick above the shoulder)  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Steve,
    stick above the shoulder is not a fair measure.. Chara 6'9.. Gionta 5'6 or something..

The cross bar is used as a standard measure (its 4' by the way) and they do not have to be shown in the same frame.. The fact is the call on the ice was a goal, you would have needed a conclusive angle that proved the stick was above 4' off the ice, which would have been tough..

That being said, I thought Savard was near enough to use as a measure, and the stick above his shoulder did show me the puck was played with a high stick.

But.. to overtone the goal it would have had to be conclusive which it wasn't..I had a bigger problem with the announcement that "upon review it was a good goal".. That is not correct, nothing showed the puck being played below 4'.. So really it wasn't a good goal, there was no conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the ice, the call stands..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

A) It doesn't matter, the Bruins one anyway.
    2) I'd rather see the measuring point be above the height where boards meet glass.
    D) Jack & Brick are good knowledgeable announcers who know many of their viewers know hockey, the boobs in a lot of markets are not and don't have said viewers.

In Response to Above/Below the crossbar????:
    [QUOTE]I can't believe that the brightest minds in hockey chose to institute this mind numbing rule.  Whether it was or wasn't a goal is moot.  What is absolutely ridiculous, is to expect referee's or video replay to conclusively make the call.  If there is traffic in front of the net, or the puck is tipped more than 15 feet out, there's a good chance that the crossbar and the tip aren't even in the same video frame, which makes the league rely on wide angle video to make their decision. The league braintrust should take a collective 2 minutes, and change this ridiculous rule to something more workable.  There are few examples in pro sport, where a time tested, callable infraction has been replaced with a more muddled one. 
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

You would think that the NHL could super impose a line, similar to that of the first down line in Football that they could use to determine if a players stick is above 4'. For goodness sakes they implemented the glowing puck!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]Steve, stick above the shoulder is not a fair measure.. Chara 6'9.. Gionta 5'6 or something.. The cross bar is used as a standard measure (its 4' by the way) and they do not have to be shown in the same frame.. The fact is the call on the ice was a goal, you would have needed a conclusive angle that proved the stick was above 4' off the ice, which would have been tough.. That being said, I thought Savard was near enough to use as a measure, and the stick above his shoulder did show me the puck was played with a high stick. But.. to overtone the goal it would have had to be conclusive which it wasn't..I had a bigger problem with the announcement that "upon review it was a good goal".. That is not correct, nothing showed the puck being played below 4'.. So really it wasn't a good goal, there was no conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the ice, the call stands..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Guess we more or less agree Roler.  Not a big overall issue, but it amazes me, that at a time when the league is attempting to be more conclusive(a second referee, video replay), a rule is implemented that obviously goes in the opposite direction.  There is ample opportunity for this call to impact really important games down the road.
    Regardless of anyones overall height, their inability to do anything skillful, with their stick above the shoulders, is a reasonable assumption, and it's easy to officiate.  4 feet(and essentially that's the rule), is almost impossible, unless the player is really close to the net.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukin. Show lukin's posts

The height of the crossbar is 4 feet.  It seems to me that any goal scored by a player (while on his skates) with the stick above his shoulder must result in the goal being disallowed because all players' shoulders are above 4 feet (and I am assuming that all players are taller than 5 feet or so, as I have not done the research).  Using only the crossbar as reference to make this call makes no sense at all.    

80.3 Disallowed Goal – When an attacking player causes the puck to enter the opponent’s goal by contacting the puck above the height of the crossbar, either directly or deflected off any player or official, the goal shall not be allowed. The determining factor is where the puck makes contact with the stick. If the puck makes contact with the stick below the level of the crossbar and enters the goal, this goal shall be allowed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

What is the purpose of the rule?

If a player is skilled enough to tip a puck from five feet in the air down into the goal, good for him and it should count.

For that matter, why not allow kicking a puck in or swatting it in with the gloved hand?  Not easy to do.  

All of the above would increase scoring, a stated objective of the NHL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

CCM - I like your thinking.  Never really thought about why they are disallowed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]What is the purpose of the rule? If a player is skilled enough to tip a puck from five feet in the air down into the goal, good for him and it should count. For that matter, why not allow kicking a puck in or swatting it in with the gloved hand?  Not easy to do.   All of the above would increase scoring, a stated objective of the NHL.
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]
    I'm sure it's so people keep their sticks down.And if you can swat the puck in by hand it would start to get silly  in front of the net with lob passes instead of tip-ins.I'm all for the kick in goal though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

All the stick waving and skate swinging would result in more injuries. It's hockey not lacrosse.

[QUOTE]What is the purpose of the rule? If a player is skilled enough to tip a puck from five feet in the air down into the goal, good for him and it should count. For that matter, why not allow kicking a puck in or swatting it in with the gloved hand?  Not easy to do.   All of the above would increase scoring, a stated objective of the NHL.
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]You would think that the NHL could super impose a line, similar to that of the first down line in Football that they could use to determine if a players stick is above 4'. For goodness sakes they implemented the glowing puck!
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE] That glowing puck was really something wasn't it? I for one could no longer follow the puck, it was very confusing to me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

IMO, the rule should never have been changed,
    Players should not be punished for being taller than others. If it gives them an advantage, so be it. This is professional sports.
    Someone used Chara and Gionta as examples. Because of his size, Chara has a much longer reach. Maybe he should play with a 3 ft long stick to make it fair.
    Maybe bigger goalies should have to use a bigger net, or wear the same size equipment, as smaller goalies.
    Is there any other rule in all of sports, that varies, depending on the height of an individual?
    For example, a tall baseball player has to deal with having a larger strike zone than a smaller player.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Never should have changed the rule...

Sections
Shortcuts