Absurdity 101

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Absurdity 101

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101:
    There is a very thin line between absurdity and genius.  Genius is often labeled at first as absurdity. Can anyone else see Nas running around in the middle ages telling everyone how the earth is flat and the center of the universe?
    Posted by Orrthebest

Let's check back later into the season and we can see if Dubinsky is keeping pace with Nash, if Tootoo has a shot at 20 goals and then let's all hope Marchand signs a team friendly contract because he likes his pals on the team.

You think I'm the one who is missing a screw?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In Response to Absurdity 101:
    T The roster is set.  Chiarelli said things would be quiet and they are.  He says they'll possibly be looking to make moves during the season. 
    You also thought that anyone who thought Parise could become a Bruin, were crazy because Chiarelli said he would not be going after any of the big-name FA's. Then, we hear that he made a contract offer to Parise, after all. Feel free to believe everything Chiareli says, but I, for one, remain skeptical about anything, a GM says in public.                                                                                                                                                                                      If this thread creates a firestorm, I'll stand to face it.  If not, I'll be taking most of the rest of the summer off. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I don't visit this board much, during the summer either. I've just never felt the need to announce it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : Clearly it's me you're baiting with this one and good for you. Over the past few seasons you and I have been on opposite sides on a number of player projections. Due partly to ego and mostly to being right, I honestly can't remember the last time I gave an opinion on a player projection that you disagreed with and turned out to be right. As I previously mentioned, ego has allowed me to remember multiple other occasions in which you felt I was "stupid" only to proven wrong yourself in the long run. Nash vs. Dubinsky sounds like a clear winner for you this time. I don't look forward to the new year when you get your first chance to really rub it in.  
    Posted by dezaruchi

No bait for you, Dez.  I posted all of those quickly.  I don't remember who wrote what.

I can't wait to watch Nash tear it up on Broadway.  I can't wait to see Columbus continue to 100% fail.  I can't wait to hear the excuses from those who have stated that Nash is a mere above average player. 

"Dubinsky might outscore Nash" isn't the worst one on that list, just the fastest to type.  The worst is the "points per minute" statement.  Some people spend so much time looking for support of their argument, they fail to recall the idea that watching a guy play many games is a better way to evaluate talent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : No bait for you, Dez.  I posted all of those quickly.  I don't remember who wrote what. I can't wait to watch Nash tear it up on Broadway.  I can't wait to see Columbus continue to 100% fail.  I can't wait to hear the excuses from those who have stated that Nash is a mere above average player.  "Dubinsky might outscore Nash" isn't the worst one on that list, just the fastest to type.  The worst is the "points per minute" statement.  Some people spend so much time looking for support of their argument, they fail to recall the idea that watching a guy play many games is a better way to evaluate talent.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

If a person resorts to this type of commentary it tells me they haven't watched enough of the player to appreciate what else he does while on the ice besides putting up numbers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I like that potential lineup....

:)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : If a person resorts to this type of commentary it tells me they haven't watched enough of the player to appreciate what else he does while on the ice besides putting up numbers.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Thanks, Chowda.  Despite differences, we agree on many core ideas.

I don't understand how anyone could suggest that the Rangers are a worse team when they trade plugs for an all-star.  I'm not sure why people dislike Rick Nash so much here that they feel the need to bring X more shifts for Plug A will mean he'll turn into a superstar or other we-tow-did notions and support level that have been used to suggest Columbus got the better deal here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Columbus will continue to be as bad as they were. Maybe a little worse.

The Rags think and assume they will be much improved and have a shot at Stanley.

Now, let the Rags step onto the ice and see what happens.

The Titanic never made it across the Atlantic.
    Goliath couldn't beat David.
    The Colts couldn't beat the Jets.
    New Coke didn't replace Old Coke.
    War Admiral couldn't beat Seabiscuit.
    etc. etc. etc.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : If a person resorts to this type of commentary it tells me they haven't watched enough of the player to appreciate what else he does while on the ice besides putting up numbers.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

so my orignal post,  the 1st one on this thread , got deleted.  I did't call NAS or anyone names ... WT....
    Anyway,  i agree that stat point or goal per minutes played is bogus. Might even be worse than the +/-
    Basically a guy like Bergeron that is always on the ice killing penaltlies and that can be many minutes without goal that stat would work against him . Some might say Ryder is a better player than Bergeron because he has more goals per minutes.  Makes sense ?
    Thank God I'm lazy to look up stats, I don't like them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : I know, I know. But Dubinsky outscoring Nash?  With the knowledge here, it can be like a high level art class, with the best painters offering tips and instruction.  This stuff is written in crayons with teeth marks.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

got a kick of that one also. In the summer I'll read more than I post, with exception of last summer cup visits.
    Next we'll get comparing how many goals per dollar and how Dubinsky is a better acquisition.  
    Never understood how the $$$ these guys make and GIVEN should question their talent .
    Is it Gomez's fault he was greatly overpaid by Sather ?  and better yet is it his fault Gainey went and get him ?
    I wish Sather's new pickup , Nash, fails . I really don't think so, I just hate the Rangers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : so my orignal post,  the 1st one on this thread , got deleted.  I did't call NAS or anyone names ... WT.... Anyway,  i agree that stat point or goal per minutes played is bogus. Might even be worse than the +/- Basically a guy like Bergeron that is always on the ice killing penaltlies and that can be many minutes without goal that stat would work against him . Some might say Ryder is a better player than Bergeron because he has more goals per minutes.  Makes sense ? Thank God I'm lazy to look up stats, I don't like them.  
    Posted by BsLegion

You are a smart man, Part II.

Bergeron is a perfect example of the meaningless of points per minutes . Throw that stat in the dumper with the some of the rest of the crappy stats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : You are a smart man, Part II.  Bergeron is a perfect example of the meaningless of points per minutes . Throw that stat in the dumper with the some of the rest of the crappy stats.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

I think that was Oate-scam with the points-per-minute gem.  No surprise.  I'm honestly convinced that guy hasn't watched a hockey game since...Oates and Cam played.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : You are a smart man, Part II.  Bergeron is a perfect example of the meaningless of points per minutes . Throw that stat in the dumper with the some of the rest of the crappy stats.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Yep, if this stat were important people like John Scott who plays 20 games a year at around 3 minutes a game and gets 2-3 points would be vastly underpaid for their obvious "talent and valuable production."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : No bait for you, Dez.  I posted all of those quickly.  I don't remember who wrote what. I can't wait to watch Nash tear it up on Broadway.  I can't wait to see Columbus continue to 100% fail.  I can't wait to hear the excuses from those who have stated that Nash is a mere above average player.  "Dubinsky might outscore Nash" isn't the worst one on that list, just the fastest to type.  The worst is the "points per minute" statement.  Some people spend so much time looking for support of their argument, they fail to recall the idea that watching a guy play many games is a better way to evaluate talent.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Do you honestly think Nash will get the Rangers over the hump? Last offseason's top free agent Richards couldn't do it, what makes you think Nash will ? Nash is an over-rated & vastly overpaid cry baby who should have rotted in Columbus.
    You sign a huge contract, you should honour it & not bail out on your team with multiple years remaining on the contract.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : Do you honestly think Nash will get the Rangers over the hump? Last offseason's top free agent Richards couldn't do it, what makes you think Nash will ? Nash is an over-rated & vastly overpaid cry baby who should have rotted in Columbus. You sign a huge contract, you should honour it & not bail out on your team with multiple years remaining on the contract.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

I think Nash puts the Rangers over. Thats a real good team that just added Rick Nash. look at how many tight games they play, you think adding someone of Nashs' calibur won't make a difference?
    I wouldnt call him a cry baby or accuse him of bailing on his team. Do you feel the same way about Ray Bourque? He did the same thing. I've followed Nash throughout his whole career and not once did he complain. He asked to be traded. Can you blame him? If Howson just traded him and didnt mention that Nash requested the trade, none of us fans would know.

He is a stud of a hockey player, like I've said before, going to NYR he'll net 35-40 goals easliy,  with 7 or 8 of them being game winners and he'll win a few shootouts for them as well. He will have to make some adjustments because of Tortorella, but he'll thrive there and after the first year, i say he flirts with 50 for the rest of his time there, if not more.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I agree with Kel. Richards obviously was not enough so they added, not replaced a top-end talent. It may still not be enough but the intention is clear.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Posted by Chowdahkid-

Almost any stat can be rendered meaningless if not applied in the proper context. Horton is a great example of when goals per minute skated can be somewhat meaningful. Upon first glance, his goal scoring was down after leaving the Panthers although his goals per minutes skated was actually up. My eyes supported what the stat already told me. Horton came in and did exactly what he was brought in to do. Of course Bergeron (the Selke winner) isn't a good guy to apply the stat to because defensive play is such a big part of his game. A guy like Nash though, what else does he do on the ice but score goals? If a guy is a pure goal scorer then the stat can definitely be useful.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : Almost any stat can be rendered meaningless if not applied in the proper context. Horton is a great example of when goals per minute skated can be somewhat meaningful. Upon first glance, his goal scoring was down after leaving the Panthers although his goals per minutes skated was actually up. My eyes supported what the stat already told me. Horton came in and did exactly what he was brought in to do. Of course Bergeron (the Selke winner) isn't a good guy to apply the stat to because defensive play is such a big part of his game. A guy like Nash though, what else does he do on the ice but score goals? If a guy is a pure goal scorer then the stat can definitely be useful.
    Posted by dezaruchi

And who knows Dez. Nash just mught see less ice time in New York but the ice time he does get will be with much more quality players. Teams won't be able to focus just on him like they did while he was a Blue Jacket.
    In my opinion, this is far too good of a hockey player not to make any team better, even an already good one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : And who knows Dez. Nash just mught see less ice time in New York but the ice time he does get will be with much more quality players. Teams won't be able to focus just on him like they did while he was a Blue Jacket. In my opinion, this is far too good of a hockey player not to make any team better, even an already good one.
    Posted by kelvana33

Maybe so Kel but people are acting like he was a free agent pick up. People are quick to refer to Dubinsky and Anisimov as a couple of pluggers that nobody will miss. I think that concept is far from being a given. Dubinsky obviously does more with his ice time than just getting points. This theory is supported by the fact his ice time per game was still 5th amongst NYR forwards, even though his offensive numbers were down significantly. Does Tortorella strike you as the sort of coach that awards free ice time to a useless player? The bottom line is yes, Nash will do pretty well in NY. I'm just not yet willing to state as fact that the NYR are a better team with Nash than they were with the players he's replacing. I look forward to the season so we can all find out for ourselves. Cheers!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : Maybe so Kel but people are acting like he was a free agent pick up. People are quick to refer to Dubinsky and Anisimov as a couple of pluggers that nobody will miss. I think that concept is far from being a given. Dubinsky obviously does more with his ice time than just getting points. This theory is supported by the fact his ice time per game was still 5th amongst NYR forwards, even though his offensive numbers were down significantly. Does Tortorella strike you as the sort of coach that awards free ice time to a useless player? The bottom line is yes, Nash will do pretty well in NY. I'm just not yet willing to state as fact that the NYR are a better team with Nash than they were with the players he's replacing. I look forward to the season so we can all find out for ourselves. Cheers!
    Posted by dezaruchi

I have no doubt NYR will miss Dubinsky, and it will be interesting to see how Torts and Nash get along, but Gaborik didn't seem to miss a beat and he's kind of similair to Nash. Like you said, we'll find out. I cannot wait for the puck to drop.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : Almost any stat can be rendered meaningless if not applied in the proper context. Horton is a great example of when goals per minute skated can be somewhat meaningful. Upon first glance, his goal scoring was down after leaving the Panthers although his goals per minutes skated was actually up. My eyes supported what the stat already told me. Horton came in and did exactly what he was brought in to do. Of course Bergeron (the Selke winner) isn't a good guy to apply the stat to because defensive play is such a big part of his game. A guy like Nash though, what else does he do on the ice but score goals? If a guy is a pure goal scorer then the stat can definitely be useful.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Disagree.

Playing with more talented linemates ? Playing against the other teams best checkers ? Playing on teams that deploy better offensive systems ? Playing for a losing team that does not have the puck as much as the opponent ? Amongst other reasons why this stat is not useful .

Things are not always equal when it comes to comparing players from different teams just by using this stat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : Disagree. Playing with more talented linemates ? Playing against the other teams best checkers ? Playing on teams that deploy better offensive systems ? Playing for a losing team that does not have the puck as much as the opponent ? Amongst other reasons why this stat is not useful . Things are not always equal when it comes to comparing players from different teams just by using this stat.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

I guess we do Chowdah. I think the biggest gap we're having is the stat's overall importance. By no means was I saying the stat was a perfect equation that could be applied to every player to evaluate his usefulness. I'm saying nearly the opposite. Of course all circumstances are different but with Horton specifically, I was showing that the stat does indeed have some merit when evaluating a player's performance in a season. Oh well, we disagree. Cheers to you Sir!   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : I guess we do Chowdah. I think the biggest gap we're having is the stat's overall importance. By no means was I saying the stat was a perfect equation that could be applied to every player to evaluate his usefulness. I'm saying nearly the opposite. Of course all circumstances are different but with Horton specifically, I was showing that the stat does indeed have some merit when evaluating a player's performance in a season. Oh well, we disagree. Cheers to you Sir!   
    Posted by dezaruchi

Here's proof it's a useless stat:

Dubinsky, Anisimov et al have a higher goal per minute ratio than Rick Nash.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : Do you honestly think Nash will get the Rangers over the hump? Last offseason's top free agent Richards couldn't do it, what makes you think Nash will ? Nash is an over-rated & vastly overpaid cry baby who should have rotted in Columbus. You sign a huge contract, you should honour it & not bail out on your team with multiple years remaining on the contract.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

Nash asked for a trade because he was sick of his sad sack franchise spending no money and losing every year.

Sound familiar, Boston fans?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Absurdity 101 : Nash asked for a trade because he was sick of his sad sack franchise spending no money and losing every year. Sound familiar, Boston fans?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

In a cap era, it seems silly to be one of the game's highest paid players while complaining the team that signed you won't spend any money. I can't stress enough how much I look forward to you giving me the gears because Nash is so much better than I expect him to be while the Jackets implode without him. I'll be waiting.

Sections
Shortcuts