Adam McQuaid, Chris Kelly and Redden all on the ice for todays practice!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Adam McQuaid, Chris Kelly and Redden all on the ice for todays practice!

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Think Redden makes his debut saturday?

I could see him starting a few games before the playoffs. Julien likes his vets so I wouldn't be suprised is he starting in Montreal.

Hasn't Bartkowski earned the right to stay in the lineup?

No Julien should call ol friend Paul Mara from the Houston Aeros. He would fit right in with the other over 30+ muckers.

Over the summer...

Chiarelli calling Deleware North "I have to buyout Peverley".

Jacobs "The one who has $6M left on his contract, the one that got waived by Nashville a few years ago ?"

Chiarell "Ahh...yupp"

Jacobs "Ok go ahead but i'm taking that money out of your scouting and drafting budget. Why weren't more there more callups from our minor league system".

Chiarelli  "well the players that we had in Providence weren't defensively responsible enough says our coach".

Jacobs "How do you know this ?"

Chiarelli "Well Geoff Ward, Julien and myself are really good at watching skating drills and board battles during practice."

Jacobs "Practice ?...Ahh next time you here from Cam you have him call me."

The last great #6 on the blueline in Boston.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

How is Paul Mara different from Redden?  Redden's two years older and not that far from playing the A.  Bartkowski got a chance to fill in and had done a reasonable job.  Smartassery aside, it's an honest question.  You keep saying these guys should be given a chance.  So, do you want them to pull Bartkowski or not?

And you have your scenario off kilter:

Chiarelli: I have to buy out Peverley.

Jacobs: Who's Peverley?

Chiarelli: A guy I extended just before the lockout - has about $6M on his deal, but that will be $4 paid over four years if we buy him out, and then I can use the cap space to secure other players.

Jacobs: Potato?  Who is this?

Chiarelli: It's Peter.  The point is, we need a cheaper option at that spot, so we're bringing up a rookie from Providence to play third line right wing.  All told, it's a wash for total dollars because the kid will make about a mil a year for the next two years, and we save that much off of Peverley's deal by buying him out.

Jacobs: Is the Cantonese Chow Mein I like number 34 or number 39?  MONEY!!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

My point in all this, 'Dog, is that I don't think the guys in Providence who "haven't been given a chance" deserved one.  I don't think it's Julien telling the rest of the organization that he doesn't want rookies.  I think it's the organization - Don Sweeney, Chiarelli, Neely, Julien, Cassidy, Benning, Bradley, maybe even Whitesides - having a plan and some targets for what players need to do to show they're ready for the show.  And if they don't hit those targets, they don't just get "given" a chance just because they put up some shiny stats in Providence.  Arniel is the best example - led Providence in scoring one year.  Great.  Brutally undisciplined player.  Didn't use his teammates well, made selfish plays all over the place.  Under Rob Murray, he did okay.  Under Cassidy, whose rep is making guys accountable, he wasn't good and he back-slid hard.  Now, you tell me what it means when a guy who has a 50 point AHL season on his resume doesn't get a whiff from another club even though he's still only 23?  Same with Mikko Lehtonen.  Minnesota has been awful for a couple of years - couldn't score to save their lives.  Did they call Mikko to come back from the K and help them?  Nope.  And that's after giving up Khudobin for him!

NHL player personnel people get those jobs because they don't need a 20 game audition to know if most guys are able to play at the NHL level or not.  There are some guys, like Hamill, who get 20 games to prove they aren't NHL material because they have a rep for having NHL potential.  So they might get that one extra wing and a prayer.  But the Arniels and Lehtonens and whoever else you want to bring up have to earn a chance to fail at the NHL level.  If they don't, there will always be a reason to play a guy like Pandolfo whose spirit and mind know what the body is supposed to do even if the body isn't always able.

Again, tell me the Jagr trade doesn't explain why you put money into scouting even if you don't have a place to put they guys who should be in the NHL on your roster?   Say Spooner and Khokhlachev are #1 and #2 in scoring in the AHL next year.  But neither of them has the size or the game to play on the third or fourth line (Marchand could play the agitator, the pest, the defensive pressure guy...).  They would be behind Bergeron, Krejci, and presumably Seguin for an offensive C role.  Are you going to sit one of those guys to "give them a chance"?  Or are you going to put them in a role they're not suited for and see what happens to their confidence if they fail?  And are you going to hold a space open for them the way they did for Caron/Bourque this year?  After all, we have Pandolfo courtesy of the decision to make room for a prospect and let a veteran (Pouliot) go.  None of the rookies have cut it.  That's a better reason for Jacobs to ask the question about why he spends money on the draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

You are happy with players that are almost retired or should be, are borderline fringe AHL/NHL players or veterans underachieving on there contracts keeping good prospects from getting valuable NHL icetime then you are wasting money and scouting resources for any organization.

Be happy with in your resolve of watching muckers that have cost Bruins goals and victories just as much as any prospect over the years. Whitfield over Marchand in the 2010 playoffs, Pandawful over Spooner or Cunningham this year.

Lets keep an eye on what MacDermid does with less icetime and cheper money than Thornton does with icetime form now till the end of next season. Lets see what happens with Kelly and Peverley's contract(s) over the summer.

Don't tell me that Jacobs doesn't pay attention to what contracts get dished out and for whom unelss you forgot about Jacobs comment on Dave Lewis when he got bought out "that was an expensive mistake". Peanuts in comparison to what Kelly's and/or Peverley's will cost.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

You are happy with players that are almost retired or should be, are borderline fringe AHL/NHL players or veterans underachieving on there contracts keeping good prospects from getting valuable NHL icetime then you are wasting money and scouting resources for any organization.

Be happy with in your resolve of watching muckers that have cost Bruins goals and victories just as much as any prospect over the years. Whitfield over Marchand in the 2010 playoffs, Pandawful over Spooner or Cunningham this year.

Lets keep an eye on what MacDermid does with less icetime and cheper money than Thornton does with icetime form now till the end of next season. Lets see what happens with Kelly and Peverley's contract(s) over the summer.

Don't tell me that Jacobs doesn't pay attention to what contracts get dished out and for whom unelss you forgot about Jacobs comment on Dave Lewis when he got bought out "that was an expensive mistake". Peanuts in comparison to what Kelly's and/or Peverley's will cost.

I've seen this written by a few posters in the last few weeks.  Marchand wasn't good in 2010.  He had 0 goals and 1 assist in 20 games and was a turnover machine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

This is silly.  I want what the organization wants - namely, for them to win games.  Sometimes you use prospects to acquire a Jagr who is a veteran who is not what he once was but who is better able to help the team win now.  Other times, they get a chance to fill in due to injury and if they show they can contribute, they get more chances.  The Bruins gave Spooner, Bourque, Tardif and Caron shots this year, and the third line remains useless.  Keeping them around when they aren't ready is foolish.

If they keep winning, yeah, I'll be happy.  If you want to watch a team playing a bunch of prospects, I'm sure NAS can tell you when the Florida games are on.

Sure.  And what exactly are we watching to compare two guys who have a negligible effect on the game, one of whom is getting a tongue bath for scoring two goals in two games despite being benched hard after the second one.

I never said he didn't.  I implied is a crazy old man, but I also showed that replacing Peverley with an EL contract means exactly the same pay-out for JJ if done at the end of the year.  So that's not exactly a big deal.