After 16 games Hamill was sent back down. Favoritism for Chris Bourque ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Re: After 16 games Hamill was sent back down. Favoritism for Chris Bourque ?

AMEN to the last post, NAS.  Also worth noting that Peverley is 2g 3a and 5pts with a -5 on the other wing.  Should we send him down too?

Bourque made several nice passes on the PP last game and also had a few good keep-ins to keep the play going in the zone.  Bourque is serviceable and I think ANY winger that flanks Kelly is not going to get many chances 5-on-5. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

No.  He does not.  He has below average skills.  He has trouble making and receiving passes.  He has speed and hustle and that's all he has.  He doesn't have size and and he doesn't have a big shot.

Agree with what book said, Hamill made a few sweet passes and spent a lot of time doing a disappearing act.

His passing has been pretty darn good on the powerplay.

His stats would be better if Empty Net Only Kelly could do something out there offensively.

Niether crisp nor accurate and again perplexed cause Chris was everywhere in Providence doing everything well. That is it, he just doesn't know where to be and my biggest indifference with Bourque is his positioning.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

No.  He does not.  He has below average skills.  He has trouble making and receiving passes.  He has speed and hustle and that's all he has.  He doesn't have size and and he doesn't have a big shot.

Agree with what book said, Hamill made a few sweet passes and spent a lot of time doing a disappearing act.

His stats would be better if Empty Net Only Kelly could do something out there offensively.

If they would give Kelly a left wing that could play any defense at all may he could play some offense.  Because Bourque is unable to play D either Kelly or Peverly stays high in the offensive zone and this creates a lack of offense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

There are more pressing concerns than Chris Bourque - if one is looking for them - like say, the 4th Line which, other than giving the other three lines a breather, seems to be merely adept at becoming hemmed into their own end for sometimes entire shifts. It is excrutiating to watch.

Like other successful teams, the Bruins have abandoned the baseball approach to building their roster (where each player has a singular and specific role to play). These Bruins are a versatile bunch, where most players, up and down the roster, can plug in almost anywhere and play any number of roles if called upon. This is very good.

The glaring exception, I'm afraid, is Shawn Thornton. It gives me no pleasure to say that because he seems a good guy. But for the Bruins to roll four lines with impunity, they have to look at trying/finding someone with more tools in his belt. With this condensed schedule, the Playoffs have effectively already started. Fighting - or having a designated fighter - becomes less and less important. The Bruins 4th line could be better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Orrthebest's comment:

If they would give Kelly a left wing that could play any defense at all may he could play some offense.  Because Bourque is unable to play D either Kelly or Peverly stays high in the offensive zone and this creates a lack of offense.

I don't recall Ryder or Pouliot being defensive forwards.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In response to gord11's comment:

There are more pressing concerns than Chris Bourque - if one is looking for them - like say, the 4th Line which, other than giving the other three lines a breather, seems to be merely adept at becoming hemmed into their own end for sometimes entire shifts. It is excrutiating to watch.

Like other successful teams, the Bruins have abandoned the baseball approach to building their roster (where each player has a singular and specific role to play). These Bruins are a versatile bunch, where most players, up and down the roster, can plug in almost anywhere and play any number of roles if called upon. This is very good.

The glaring exception, I'm afraid, is Shawn Thornton. It gives me no pleasure to say that because he seems a good guy. But for the Bruins to roll four lines with impunity, they have to look at trying/finding someone with more tools in his belt. With this condensed schedule, the Playoffs have effectively already started. Fighting - or having a designated fighter - becomes less and less important. The Bruins 4th line could be better.

The 4th line is a combined -7, the 3rd line is a combined -15 and you think the 4th line the bigger problem.  People will convince themself of anything to keep there Bourque blankie wrapped around them tightly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

I don't recall Ryder or Pouliot being defensive forwards.

Thanks for proving my point.  If that line is capable of being responsible defensively with Ryder or Pouliot on it then can not play defense with Bourque on it one can see where the problem is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Posted something similar in the game thread last night, but my issue is the level of trust and responsibility that CJ has bestowed upon him.  Given the way he has been playing, not a huge issue to have him keep his spot on the 3rd line for now.

My issue is the PP TOI and manning the point.  Last night, he logs 3:43 of PP TOI, while Krejci, Seguin & Hamilton are around 1:40.  Makes no sense to me and runs contrary to CJ's model.  Name another career AHL'er that has been given that type of chance by Julien? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

The third line is actually a combined -12 (not -15). They will come around, when Rich Peverley learns the Lockout is over. The 4th line, however is as good as it's gonna be, because Shawn Thornton, unfortunately, can no longer keep up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If Alfredsson plays next year, it will absolutely be with Ottawa. His name is only on the table because, if the Senators do falter as everyone expected once they lost their three best skaters, he could help the team more by bringing in a return on trade, and it would give him a chance at a long playoff run. He lives in Ottawa, stays in Ottawa most of the year, and I think he plans to remain in Ottawa when his playing days are done. He's their Schmidt, their Beliveau, their Armstrong. They'll give him seats in a private box and feed him fancy dinners 20 nights a year and then pay him a modest salary for the privilge of his presence.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

My issue is the PP TOI and manning the point.  Last night, he logs 3:43 of PP TOI, while Krejci, Seguin & Hamilton are around 1:40.  Makes no sense to me and runs contrary to CJ's model.  Name another career AHL'er that has been given that type of chance by Julien? 

^^^^This.

I don't get why he is seeing so much PP time.

All other aspects of his game, he's been servicable at best.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Thanks for proving my point.  If that line is capable of being responsible defensively with Ryder or Pouliot on it then can not play defense with Bourque on it one can see where the problem is.

Are Kelly and Peverley robots?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In response to red75's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to red75's comment:

Am I the only one who thinks by and large, for what he's being asked to do, Bourque's not playing too bad?

No Red, there are some other folks who are wrong too.

I never said he was great, just not too bad. Serviceable for the time being.

• Count me in red. am I crazy about bourque? Nope but there is no better allturnative ! And that most certainly includes Jamie Tardiff too stanley! bourque from my point of view is better than Caron too!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

There are more pressing concerns than Chris Bourque - if one is looking for them - like say, the 4th Line which, other than giving the other three lines a breather,The Bruins 4th line could be better.

The 4th line is a combined -7, the 3rd line is a combined -15 and you think the 4th line the bigger problem.  People will convince themself of anything to keep there Bourque blankie wrapped around them tightly.

Exactly stay on target, the 3rd line. Don't change the subject to the 4th line, that is a whole nother thread in itself.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Your post is a perfect example of how some of you perceive Bourque's game to be. Bourque is receiving some applause just for not being terrible. I'm not sure I saw even 1 pass from him on the PP that I'd call anything beyond adequate. At the same time, I can point to at least 3 occasions where he attempted to pass through an opponents shin pads. That's not a skill problem. That's all about making poor decisions when he's rushed.

For those of you blaming linemates for his output I'll point out some stats for you. Kelly has averaged 32 points a season throughout his career. This year his pace would net around 25 points which means that just 1 point more so far would have him at his usual average. Why anyone expected Kelly to prop up Bourque's numbers is beyond me. Peverley's numbers are also down but he's been consistent for most of his career. It just seems odd to me to blame Pev and Kelly for Bourque's lack of production when it's CB that appears to be the common denominator.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to LoyalBlackNGold's comment:

• Count me in red. am I crazy about bourque? Nope but there is no better allturnative ! And that most certainly includes Jamie Tardiff too stanley! bourque from my point of view is better than Caron too!

How so? He's nowhere near as physical as Caron and he certainly hasn't shown any extra offense. What exactly is Bourque doing better?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Are Kelly and Peverley robots?

Maybe but I doubt it.  What they are is very good third line NHL hockey players.  If you want to blame Kelly for not producing offense because he has taken on Bourque's defensive responsibilties that is your choice.  Myself I love the fact that Kelly is will to do what ever it takes to help the team and I will applaud him for it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Maybe but I doubt it.  What they are is very good third line NHL hockey players.  If you want to blame Kelly for not producing offense because he has taken on Bourque's defensive responsibilties that is your choice.  Myself I love the fact that Kelly is will to do what ever it takes to help the team and I will applaud him for it. 

Err...huh?  When did I "blame Kelly for not producing because he has taken on Bourque's defensive responsibilites"?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In response to LoyalBlackNGold's comment:

How so? He's nowhere near as physical as Caron and he certainly hasn't shown any extra offense. What exactly is Bourque doing better?

Just never really impressed me with his play dez. Am I impressed with bourque no way no how. Caron more physical certainly. Last night bourque was a nightmare but in all this year I think he has been fine in both ends. Bourques linemates have skated alittle also. I think since Kelly and peverleys arival this has been the worst they have played.

this goes to show how well the bruins have been playing . We're debating the play of the 9 th forward. Cheers dez

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Your post is a perfect example of how some of you perceive Bourque's game to be. Bourque is receiving some applause just for not being terrible. I'm not sure I saw even 1 pass from him on the PP that I'd call anything beyond adequate. At the same time, I can point to at least 3 occasions where he attempted to pass through an opponents shin pads. That's not a skill problem. That's all about making poor decisions when he's rushed.

For those of you blaming linemates for his output I'll point out some stats for you. Kelly has averaged 32 points a season throughout his career. This year his pace would net around 25 points which means that just 1 point more so far would have him at his usual average. Why anyone expected Kelly to prop up Bourque's numbers is beyond me. Peverley's numbers are also down but he's been consistent for most of his career. It just seems odd to me to blame Pev and Kelly for Bourque's lack of production when it's CB that appears to be the common denominator.

Dez hits it out of the park with this post

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to LoyalBlackNGold

Just never really impressed me with his play dez. Am I impressed with bourque no way no how. Caron more physical certainly. Last night bourque was a nightmare but in all this year I think he has been fine in both ends. Bourques linemates have skated alittle also. I think since Kelly and peverleys arival this has been the worst they have played.

this goes to show how well the bruins have been playing . We're debating the play of the 9 th forward. Cheers dez

Aha Loyal! That's what I keep noticing too. What is different about their line this year? Mostly it's the fact they've got a smurf on the LW. I don't know if you've noticed but Paille was given Bourque's spot twice earlier in the season and the line responded with goals on both occasions. Just coincidence perhaps but I think not. Regarding Caron, I figure if we're only getting 1 point every 4 games from that position, then I'd prefer it be from a guy who can bang bodies also. Bourque's best hit last night took out Peverley.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Talk about an embarassment of riches. Who are the Bruins top 6 scorers? Well its their top two lines of forwards. Thank goodness its our bottom 6 forwards we're talking about here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Well yah, things are great in one respect, but does anyone think this team *won't* make the playoffs?

And will they go deep?  How deep?

And the topic of conversation will be what it is now, 3rd and 4th lines.  You have to have all 4 lines contribute if you're going to go deep into the playoffs.  Or forget the playoffs, you need all 4 lines when you meet the other elite teams during the season.

Yes, they are doing well right now and that's good, but everybody has the future in the back of their minds.

Another point.  Yes, this team is quite good.  And that's why performers who aren't adequate like Bourque stand out.  That's why perfromers who aren't up to their own standards are standing out - like Thornton FWIW and that's not saying much.