Agents: They are good people!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Agents: They are good people!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403358

Minnesota Wild forward Dany Heatley has reportedly filed an $11 million lawsuit against his former agent.

According to the Globe and Mail, Heatley filed a lawsuit against Stacey McAlpine and McAlpine's parents last week in Calgary.

The suit reportedly alleges that Heatley did not receive the financial returns on real estate deals that were promised to him and that McAlpine made withdrawals of over $4 million from Heatley's bank account without the player's permission.

The defence has not yet filed any statements in the case and no allegations have been proven in court.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Agents: They are good people!

I'm sure Mr and Mrs. Snyder feel terrible for Dany.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Yup living in the fast lane can be dangerous.  Heatley's career is analgous to fast cars or Edna St. Vincient Milay's candle quote.  

To wit:  Bernie Madoff did alot of smart people in back a ten years ago.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Agents: They are good people!:
    [QUOTE]http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403358 Minnesota Wild forward Dany Heatley has reportedly filed an $11 million lawsuit against his former agent. According to the Globe and Mail, Heatley filed a lawsuit against Stacey McAlpine and McAlpine's parents last week in Calgary. The suit reportedly alleges that Heatley did not receive the financial returns on real estate deals that were promised to him and that McAlpine made withdrawals of over $4 million from Heatley's bank account without the player's permission. The defence has not yet filed any statements in the case and no allegations have been proven in court.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Your point, as it relates to the heading?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

The rebirth of Alan Eagleson. The players are greedy ?  Sometimes I wonder what the hell is going in the sports world. It seems organize crime and agents want the biggest piece of the pie.

And then their's Bettman different topic.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Dany Heatley gave "power of attorney" to an account of his and got burned. Man that is the first i've ever heard this before an athlete getting burned like that.

Shocker I feel so, so bad...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Agents: They are good people!:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure Mr and Mrs. Snyder feel terrible for Dany.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

This one isn't about Heatley and the call for him to be rotting in jail, but about agents and how dirty they are.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Dany Heatley gave "power of attorney" to an account of his and got burned. Man that is the first i've ever heard this before an athlete getting burned like that. Shocker I feel so, so bad...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Yeah.  You get into shady real estate deals and give somebody else access to your money, and you get scamed.  Shame on you.  Take a little personal responsibility and quit crying about the agents.

A fool and his money are soon to part.

Maybe the agents started that Nigerian banking scheme too...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Agents: They are good people!:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Agents:  A fool and his money are soon to part. Maybe the agents started that Nigerian banking scheme too...Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Agents: They are good people! : Yeah.  You get into shady real estate deals and give somebody else access to your money, and you get scamed.  Shame on you.  Take a little personal responsibility and quit crying about the agents. A fool and his money are soon to part. Maybe the agents started that Nigerian banking scheme too...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Yes, blame the victim.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Agents: They are good people! : This one isn't about Heatley and the call for him to be rotting in jail, but about agents and how dirty they are.

I get that, and I'm sure there are alot of scum bag agents out there, just like there are scum bag owners and scum bag players. You refer to to Dany Heatley as a victim in this case, and he just might be, I just think past events make it hard to have sympathy for him. He trusted an agent with his money, just like Dan Snyder trusted Dany and his judgement.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Agents: They are good people! : Yes, blame the victim.

It's not so much blame the victim, but there will always be people looking to take your money when you're wealthy, often legally.  If you buy into a real estate scheme and then lose your money, you might take a look in the mirror instead of crying about being swindled.

If you take a big pot of money and put it in front of agents, lawyers, salesmen, bankers, churches etc. -- they're all probably going to try to get some of it.  That's life.  Instead of turning to the government or the league or the courts to save you from that risk, why don't you just take a little personal responsibility.

The question isn't so much about whether agents are sleazy, but whether Dany Heatley needs some kind of a do-over every time he gets talked into a bad deal by a smarter person.  He's a big boy, and bad decisions have consequnces.  Heatley should know that by now.  

Or maybe his last mistake was the bartender's fault...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Agents: They are good people!:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Agents: They are good people! :  If you buy into a real estate scheme and then lose your money, you might take a look in the mirror instead of crying about being swindled. If you take a big pot of money and put it in front of agents, lawyers, salesmen, bankers, churches etc. -- they're all probably going to try to get some of it.  That's life.  Instead of turning to the government or the league or the courts to save you from that risk, why don't you just take a little personal responsibility. Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

^This!

Plus there are stories after stories of entertainers and athletes that have been ripped off by their own family members over time to learn from. I have no sympathy for people who give "power of attorney"  to their hard earned money then cry "what happened ?!" ZERO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Agents: They are good people! : It's not so much blame the victim, but there will always be people looking to take your money when you're wealthy, often legally.  If you buy into a real estate scheme and then lose your money, you might take a look in the mirror instead of crying about being swindled. If you take a big pot of money and put it in front of agents, lawyers, salesmen, bankers, churches etc. -- they're all probably going to try to get some of it.  That's life.  Instead of turning to the government or the league or the courts to save you from that risk, why don't you just take a little personal responsibility. The question isn't so much about whether agents are sleazy, but whether Dany Heatley needs some kind of a do-over every time he gets talked into a bad deal by a smarter person.  He's a big boy, and bad decisions have consequnces.  Heatley should know that by now.   Or maybe his last mistake was the bartender's fault...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

This isn't about Heatley.  It's about the agent.  Clearly you don't understand that, so I'll refrain from replying to your statements on this topic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Agents: They are good people! : I get that, and I'm sure there are alot of scum bag agents out there, just like there are scum bag owners and scum bag players. You refer to to Dany Heatley as a victim in this case, and he just might be, I just think past events make it hard to have sympathy for him. He trusted an agent with his money, just like Dan Snyder trusted Dany and his judgement.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Dan Snyder is dead. 

He's not involved here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Agents: They are good people! : This isn't about Heatley.  It's about the agent.  Clearly you don't understand that, so I'll refrain from replying to your statements on this topic.

and clearly you don't understand your own thread.  it's not about the agent either.  It's about agents as a whole.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Agents: They are good people! : and clearly you don't understand your own thread.  it's not about the agent either.  It's about agents as a whole.
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

Actually, the focus of this thread is the agent.  It offers concrete and current evidence that agents are scum, but the focus here is the agent.

Thanks for stopping by and reading.  Your input is always so valuable.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

The title of the thread should have been titled for Dany Heatley's agent alone. 

Lumping ( my new favourite word) the agents all together because of an action by one ? An inaccurate way of looking at things.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Agents: They are good people! : Actually, the focus of this thread is the agent.  It offers concrete and current evidence that agents are scum, but the focus here is the agent. Thanks for stopping by and reading.  Your input is always so valuable.

A few posts ago, you made it clear it was about agents in general.  Above you don't...then you do.
    You really need to study up on what could be considered "concrete and current evidence" too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Agents: They are good people! : This isn't about Heatley.  It's about the agent.  Clearly you don't understand that, so I'll refrain from replying to your statements on this topic.

You don't have to get pissy, I just disagree with your focus on the agent being unscrupolous, or in your words "not good people".  Instead of worrying about a code of morality in professions like that, people like Heatley need to rely on judgement and caution when managing their money.  Otherwise, there will be an endless line of people happy to take it away.  Much like with the contracts, agents are only successful with a willing partner.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

What is "concrete and current evidence"?  One unresolved lawsuit between a player and an agent over a real estate deal gone bad?

C'mon.

But I'm not even disputing whether agents are sleazy or not.  They are what they are.  But the people who deal with them aren't forced into getting swindled.  Let buyer beware.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/166674466.html?refer=y

Nas, it should be noted that Heatley has had a different agent (JP Barry from Saint John, N.B.) since 2004. McAlpine, the former agent of Heatley's is being accused of ripping him off in 2008 and 2009. I guess what I'm saying is that he wasn't scammed by his agent. He was scammed by a family which included a guy who used to be his agent. Regardless of whatever strange relationship he had with this family, McAlpine hasn't been his agent for 8 years now.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Agents: They are good people! : Actually, the focus of this thread is the agent.  It offers concrete and current evidence that agents are scum, but the focus here is the agent. Thanks for stopping by and reading.  Your input is always so valuable.

NAS, if you were to have said "... evidence that *some* agents are scum," I'd be with you—but to generalize undermines the effectiveness of your argument.

Sections
Shortcuts