Alfredsson to Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Alfredsson to Boston

If he ever became available, and Montreal and Toronto are still in it, pretty sure they'd get involved as well. Staying in Canada, close to a place he has been for a long time would be much more enticing than the Bruins just because Chiarelli, Chara and Kelly are there...And if they got involved he'd be on the top line...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to STFXbruins' comment:

From what I saw of the report

This is if...

Ottawa is out of the playoff hunt at/near the trade deadline. Losing their best two players this isnt hard to see.

Alfey gets to choose were he will go. This is up to him. Ottawa will do pretty much anything for him, think of this like the Bourque deal. This along with Alfeys connect to Chara, PC, and a chance for the Cup is the reason why Boston was named as a team that would be looking to get him. Add into the fact Boston just traded Tim Thomas they now have the cap space for him.

Bourque actually wanted to stay in the east, Philly being his preference, but Harry pulled the trigger on the deal with Colorado. I guess Harry's a pretty good handicapper, got Ray a cup anyway, which is what he wanted.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

If Pierre Lebrun says it and Dreger agrees. Then I think it has merit. As Lebrun says inhis report it's up to Daniel himself, but he has ties with PC. Is a close friend to Chara and Kelly. So, it doesn't mean PC will give Ottawa enough for him, but I think the B's will certainly be a top place that Alfie will choose to go. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

If he ever became available, and Montreal and Toronto are still in it, pretty sure they'd get involved as well. Staying in Canada, close to a place he has been for a long time would be much more enticing than the Bruins just because Chiarelli, Chara and Kelly are there...And if they got involved he'd be on the top line...

Can't see Alfredsson agreeing to go to the Senators arch provincial rival, would pizz off the fan base and i don't think Murray would do it anyway, the Habs maybe.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

They've won 2 out of 3 since losing Karlsson...

[/QUOTE]

Exactly karlsson getting injured will hurt them on the score sheets but not on the defense side of the puck. If Ottawa makes the playoffs it will show how overrated a scoring dman really is. If they had spezza they would be a lock for the playoffs. 

[/QUOTE]

Whoa, I'm not on your side with that argument.  I think Karlsson is immensely important to them, is a good two-way player, and his loss will prevent them from being a true Cup contender.  He's a stud.

But, I still think they can make the playoffs without him on the basis of a good start, a short season, and a very hot goalie.  Therefore, I don't think they'll be looking to trade Alfredsson.

Unless they really tank or are blown away by an offer, it seems implausible to me.

It seems even more implausible that the Bruins would get him. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

They've won 2 out of 3 since losing Karlsson...

Exactly karlsson getting injured will hurt them on the score sheets but not on the defense side of the puck. If Ottawa makes the playoffs it will show how overrated a scoring dman really is. If they had spezza they would be a lock for the playoffs. 

[/QUOTE]

Whoa, I'm not on your side with that argument.  I think Karlsson is immensely important to them, is a good two-way player, and his loss will prevent them from being a true Cup contender.  He's a stud.

But, I still think they can make the playoffs without him on the basis of a good start, a short season, and a very hot goalie.  Therefore, I don't think they'll be looking to trade Alfredsson.

Unless they really tank or are blown away by an offer, it seems implausible to me.

It seems even more implausible that the Bruins would get him. 

[/QUOTE]

Your talking to guy that would rather have Del Zotto than Karlsson.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

so. you've made a few points taht i think contradict your main point, which is that alfie will definitely not be heading to boston. i think we're all in agreement that the sens want to do right by alfredsson (a lot like the bourque scenario). We all know that alfredsson will probably only leave if he is given a chance for a cup. So, you're saying that he would prefer to go to toronto or montreal if they are "still in it?" well, there is a huge difference between "still in it" and "serious contender." He isn't going to want to leave ottawa for the chance to play in the eastern conference semi-finals. He's going to want to leave the sens to get a chance to play for the cup. Boston gives him that opportunity. Chicago gives him that opportunity but doesn't have quite enough cap space (would need to clear a little over 2 mill), Pittsburgh gives him that opportunity and do have the cap space. In the east, I think the bruins give him teh best opportunity to win the stanley cup, it doesn't hurt that the team employs a few of his good friends that he used to play with. 

on a side note, can anyone provide a link to dreger agreeing with this? i trust him. don't trust lebrun

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

I would give the B's first rounder (likely to be low pick anyway) and a prospect or two for Alfredsson (maybe also throw in that young phenom Bourque). Small price to pay for another cup which do not exactly grow on trees.

Especially the way Chiarelli drafts, no pick is sacred and I don't think LeBrun makes trades up. Fletch has a good point, not bad for a RedHawk, about Ottawa winning lately and staying in the playoff hunt. Alfredsson isn't going anywhere for awhile, the Senators need to keep the seats full.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

People need to keep in mind the veiw of the team making the trade.  If you have a pending UFA you want to resign but are trading as a rental for assets are you going to want to trade him to a team with the Cap space to sign or a team in Cap hell for next year?  Due to our poor cap situation teams are going to prefer sending players here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Current order of replacement: Thornton, Bourque then Ference

(subject to change only after several games of strong play.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

Ference has earned the benefit of the doubt. 13 games won't make me want to replace him. He has incredible value. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

Ference has earned the benefit of the doubt. 13 games won't make me want to replace him. He has incredible value

Hey, what's up? Nobody told me we were having an exaggeration contest.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think Ference's current cap hit is "cap friendly" but Krug's is friendlier. I would not be suprised if AF were re-signed before the deadline however if his sloppy play continues then he will be looking at around a $1M, one year contract in June somewhere other than Boston.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

Would Campell be included in this trade or would he give up his #11?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Ference has earned the benefit of the doubt. 13 games won't make me want to replace him. He has incredible value

And you say im sarcastic.  :-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to ErnestoGiove's comment:

As per Pierre LeBrun on ESPN radio, if Ottawa decides to pack it in, both sides would agree. Boston for a rental, Chara and Chiarelli pieces - Alfredsson to chase a cup contender. I don't think we need to give up more than, say second rounder? Maybe he can help on the PP.

I read what LeBrun wrote.  He talked about reasons it made sense (e-harmony), but didn't suggest any sources inside either camp.  I can't imagine either side confirming this. 

Ottawa:  Oh yeah, if we're out he's gone.  We're going to trade him to Boston.

Boston:  Alfredsson?  If Ottawa is out,  We are getting him.  No question.

Furthermore, the player will be in very, very high demand.  His age is irrelevant when he had 27 goals and 32 assists last season.  Chris Kelly was traded for a second round pick.  I think Alfredsson will be worth a little more.  Just a bit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

PC will do some tweaking but there isn't going to be a big name coming here IMO.  I guess it's fun to talk about between games though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I can see Alfie coming but i think the price would be very high as my buddy NAS pts out.  i think he would fit in on that 3rd line.  Likely easier then suggesting iggy.   

Im with hang in saying tweeks will be made.  Chimera, Jackman in ST spot.  And Sarich as 7th dman and guy who could push a slumping mcQ or af to press box.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Ference is the type of guy that is very noticeable in his absense. I wasn't joking, he has incredible value to this team. Losing him would be big deal. Every game he's been out of in the past the team was worse. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:

If the concept here is that Alfie essentially plays the Rolston role from last year, it's a big step up.  That 3rd line becomes a 2a line.  No complaints here, if it were to happen for a 2nd round pick at most.

They traded a 2nd round pick for Chris Kelly.  Don't you think Alfredsson (his real name) would command a bigger payday for Ottawa?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Ference is the type of guy that is very noticeable in his absense. I wasn't joking, he has incredible value to this team. Losing him would be big deal. Every game he's been out of in the past the team was worse. 

What?

Ference is a #4 on his best day.  Yes, the team has been worse when they have had to call up someone from Providence to replace him, because the options were people like Warsofsky and that superior shut down Barktowski.

If Ference is traded, I'm sure they'd have a plan to replace him with someone coming in from elsewhere (Zombo would be fine...oh wait, I mean Zanon), or calling up someone who they are sure will be able to play NHL hockey.

Obviously they won't send Ference packing without a backup plan, leaving them putting sluggos like Button on Garden ice.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Last i read ottawa is looking for help, to stay in contention. Removing is not their option at the moment. If the 4 teams in the east keeps playing the way they are, possibility that four teams from the east div. could be post season bound.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

PC will do some tweaking but there isn't going to be a big name coming here IMO.  I guess it's fun to talk about between games though.

Where have you been for at least the last decade?

This same discussion happens every year about this time, just switch some player names around.

Hossa?  Kovalchuk?

The big name deadline trade sweepstakes have started.

And after the big name goes to some other team the story is always that the Bruins were the team that almost got him, except their asking price was just a hair too high.

So that's the real discussion here; who is the player that will be the one that's the deal breaker?

I say it will be Subban, that's who the Senators want.  And that's who we keep.

Aw gee, we almost won the sweepstakes again!

This is just like my scratch tickets.  The winning numbers are all just one off from my numbers, and those one off numbers are always for 60 billion dollars.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

Last i read ottawa is looking for help, to stay in contention. Removing is not their option at the moment. If the 4 teams in the east keeps playing the way they are, possibility that four teams from the east div. could be post season bound.

There is still a while until the trade deadline. Many things can happen before then. We will be better informed on this situation in a few weeks.

Sections
Shortcuts