Alfredsson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CamOJonasink. Show CamOJonasink's posts

Alfredsson

I became a big fan of Alfredsson when I watched the all-star selection special last season and when I went to the game last night I came away really impressed with him.  He worked a lot harder than I ever gave him credit for, especially in the defensive zone (except for maybe tipping in the Horton goal).  He showed grit in the dirty areas.  He's obviously an older guy and someone Seguin could learn a ton from in that regard.  His contract is up as we all know and it works nicely into our cap structure.  Once Ottawa falls out of contention, why not offer a 2nd rounder and a Providence player.  Well worth the rental in what he'd bring to the B's for another Cup run??? I think it is an absolute no-brainer for both teams! What an impressive lineup we'd have and still have room to add an experienced #7 defenseman not named Aaron Johnson or Shane Hnidy from the Cup season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Re: Alfredsson

I agree, he'd be a perfect rental type player for a cup run

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I agree he would be a great fit. He still skates pretty well for his age and hopefully he would help our PP.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I rarely see Alfredsson do anything wrong, so aside from having Immense natural talent his IQ is very high and defensivly sound. Having said all that the price for the rental just way too high and YES what a great fit he would be.

I think it will be someone that won't cost so much will be like Weiss, Ribiero (yah I said it Legion) or Prospal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Alfredsson is a freind of my nephews who live in the same area in ottawa and there kids go to same school, its how my nephew talks of him that impresses me also, great person who is always involved in community stuff, I know the city of ottawa would love to see him get a cup because he would attribute that success to the fans of ottawa.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Anything to get Bourque off the team! He's leading Peverly and Kelly to early retirement! Alfredson would be great on that line!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

With how MacLean has them playing I can't see Alfie going to market, because I don't think they'll fall out of contention. The guy's got a bunch of AHLers playing like contendors and, with just over a month to the trade deadline, I can see them still being in a playoff spot.

Talk about a Jack Adams candidate.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Talk about a Jack Adams candidate.

The Bruins basically played Bingamton last night so if Ottawa makes the playoffs then the Jack Adams should be MacLeans easily. I was impressed last night with the Senators as it is hell to get across their blueline or get near the crease.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Agreed. I keep hearing how the Sens are going to collapse, but since Karlsson went out they've grabbed 11 of a possible 14 points. Now they don't even have Anderson and MacLean still has them stealing points. Who in the east is going to knock them out of a playoff spot? I don't know what MacLean put in their water botles, but whatever it is, it's working.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

That's a great question red, I think they should check those bottles!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to CamOJonasink's comment:

I became a big fan of Alfredsson when I watched the all-star selection special last season and when I went to the game last night I came away really impressed with him.  He worked a lot harder than I ever gave him credit for, especially in the defensive zone (except for maybe tipping in the Horton goal).  He showed grit in the dirty areas.  He's obviously an older guy and someone Seguin could learn a ton from in that regard.  His contract is up as we all know and it works nicely into our cap structure.  Once Ottawa falls out of contention, why not offer a 2nd rounder and a Providence player.  Well worth the rental in what he'd bring to the B's for another Cup run??? I think it is an absolute no-brainer for both teams! What an impressive lineup we'd have and still have room to add an experienced #7 defenseman not named Aaron Johnson or Shane Hnidy from the Cup season.

He's been the captain of that team for 13 years, is 2nd in points and plays 20 minutes a game.  If they were to decide to trade him, I think they'd get more than a late second round pick and an AHLer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CamOJonasink. Show CamOJonasink's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

He's been the captain of that team for 13 years, is 2nd in points and plays 20 minutes a game.  If they were to decide to trade him, I think they'd get more than a late second round pick and an AHLer.

He'd be a rental in a lock out condensed season.  How much do you think he'd cost? Seriously?  If he doesn't retire, he would probably just resign with Ottawa anyways.  There are only a couple of teams in the running that can squeeze his cap hit into theirs, so the asking price is limited.  A lot of you make a great point that if the Sens continue to surprise and remain in contention this potential deal is a moot point!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He'd be a rental in a lock out condensed season.  How much do you think he'd cost? Seriously?  If he doesn't retire, he would probably just resign with Ottawa anyways.  There are only a couple of teams in the running that can squeeze his cap hit into theirs, so the asking price is limited.  A lot of you make a great point that if the Sens continue to surprise and remain in contention this potential deal is a moot point!

His cap hit is $4.875M.  Adjusted for time in the season, it'll be less than half of that by the time he's dealt...if he's dealt.  Most teams can absorb that.

A player like Alfredsson could be the difference between Cup or No Cup.  Ottawa getting a quality young NHLer or a first round pick isn't absurd to consider.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Camo,

I'm guessing a 1st rounder or a 2nd with an NHL ready prospect.  Alfie is going no where.  Rental or not, Ottawa holds the best hand...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

His cap hit is $4.875M.  Adjusted for time in the season, it'll be less than half of that by the time he's dealt...if he's dealt.  Most teams can absorb that.

A player like Alfredsson could be the difference between Cup or No Cup.  Ottawa getting a quality young NHLer or a first round pick isn't absurd to consider.

Plus, expiring contract....right?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Plus, expiring contract....right?

Why would Ottawa want an expiring contract in return?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Why would Ottawa want an expiring contract in return?

hah.....you know what I meant.

Yes, I agree that Alfredsson could probably be had for a 1st rounder. If the Sens falter down the stretch I could see Murray entertain the posibility.

One thing also, he does not have an NTC or MNC so he has no offical input if and where he gets dealt.

http://www.capgeek.com/senators

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Alfie likely stays put, Ottawa is gonna make the playoffs, their depth is showing from the AHL up.   I also see him coming back.  The shortened season, the young talent and the Olympics makes me think he will make one last run at the cup this(not happening) and next year and Olympic gold(not happening-Canada wins).  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Another point is Alfredsson could ok the trade and then turn right back around an signe with Ottawa again if he wanted. That would work out well for Ottawa if that scenario happened.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You'd have had just as much luck offering that package for Lidstrom last year.

Same deal with Weiss, 'Dawg.  His numbers are way down, but he plays the most of any of their forwards.  Part of the reason his numbers are down might be that he's now 6th among forwards for PP TOI after being at the top (fractionally behind Versteeg, actually) last year when he had 17 PP points - he got about 1/3 of his points on the PP.  Another part is that Versteeg has been out. 

Over the long haul, what you like about him is that he's a 4 time 20+ goal scorer with three seasons between 57 and 61 points, and he's a decent two way player on a team that has had zero success since he joined them.  And he's only 29.   That might sound like he should be a cheaper rental than Alfredsson, but you might find you're competing with teams who don't just want to rent him, and they'll pay more to get him, even if it's conditional on re-signing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I also am thinking along the lines who would pair well with Peverley and that is Weiss.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If Alfredsson plays next year, it will absolutely be with Ottawa. His name is only on the table because, if the Senators do falter as everyone expected once they lost their three best skaters, he could help the team more by bringing in a return on trade, and it would give him a chance at a long playoff run. He lives in Ottawa, stays in Ottawa most of the year, and I think he plans to remain in Ottawa when his playing days are done. He's their Schmidt, their Beliveau, their Armstrong. They'll give him seats in a private box and feed him fancy dinners 20 nights a year and then pay him a modest salary for the privilge of his presence.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Funny thing about Weiss?  He's 1-3-4 for the year with 6 Pims and a -11.

Chris Bourque is 1-3-4 for the year with 6 Pims and a -4.  Playing significantly fewer minutes.

Is Weiss a better player?  Yeah, obviously.  Is he getting better results?  Nope.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think Weiss has had every member of the team on his line outside of Parros.  Taking shifts with Mike Santorelli isn't going to do much for anyone's stat line.

These days, with Versteeg out, he's had Wizard Shawn Mattias on the ice with him.

Weiss is a perfect 3rd line player in Boston.  Florida may be thinking of parting ways with him.  He's been with the team for a very, very long time and is a known leader on and off the ice, yet when it came time to name the captain, they gave it to 3rd pairing Jovanovski and put the "A" on Kopecky and Fleischmann.  I think I saw the "A" on Goc recently as well. 

It's a bit of a conspiracy theory, of course, but makes sense to a degree.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CamOJonasink. Show CamOJonasink's posts

Wrong about the cap # "Not-a-shot"!  The 1/2 salary # you're putting out there is still relative to the overall cap.  By moving Thomas the B's really put themselves in a much better position than most teams. This whole discussion applies to guys like Alfredsson and Iginla.  I like Iginla less and he's an even bigger hit, but man, we'd all love him too.  I'd settle for Weiss as well.  He's even a big upgrade over Bourque, whom I think we all wished would do well.  He still may, but not right now.  Someone made the point before, he is anchoring that third line with Peverley and Kelly, just not in a good way!!!!  The Cup is going to go through Boston or Chicago.  We are a bit behind them right now and it will be interesting to see what Chiarelli does to put us over the top.  I'm hoping for Alfredsson.  Maybe its' a pipedream........ Maybe not.