All-time Bruins team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

All-time Bruins team

A post in another thread about Boston's all-time best goalies got me thinking about this, especially after the Cup run, has your all-time Bruins team changed at all? Have Thomas orChara maybe made it?

I think mine shakes down to

Hodge Espo Bucyk
    Middleton Oates Neely
    Dumart Cowley Schmidt
    Cashman Ratelle O'Reilly

Orr Bourque
    Shore Park
    Clapper Chara

Frank Brimsek
    Tiny Thompson
    (Thomas number 3)

Longevity as a Bruin played a role in my choces.

*Edited - I missed Ratelle.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: All-time Bruins team

not sure I agree with McNab

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

A good list. 

I know that people are usually shunned for favoring the new/current guys over players that have etched a place in Bruins history, but how is Thomas not the #1 goalie after the past season?

He sets an NHL record for regular season save percentage, wins the Vezina, wins the Conn Smythe, and wins a Stanley Cup while giving up 7 goals in a 7-game series??  What more can you do?  And, for those who say "one great year", he had already won a Vezina with the Bruins before.  I think when we look back historically, Thomas' season will stand out from all others by a mile.

And to answer your question, yes, I think Chara has played his way onto this team (5th or 6th defensemen).

Do Juneau and Thornton give McNab any competition for the 4th center spot?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

IWow you really go way back!! I am a fan since 1970.n Response to All-time Bruins team:
    [QUOTE]A post in another thread about Boston's all-time best goalies got me thinking about this, especially after the Cup run, has your all-time Bruins team changed at all? Have Thomas orChara maybe made it? I think mine shakes down to Hodge Espo Bucyk Middleton Oates Neely Dumart Cowley Schmidt Cashman McNab  O'Reilly Orr Bourque Shore Park Clapper Chara Frank Brimsek Tiny Thompson (Thomas number 3) Longevity as a Bruin played a role in my choces.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

II like your list and most are from Canada!!!!!!!n Response to All-time Bruins team:
    [QUOTE]A post in another thread about Boston's all-time best goalies got me thinking about this, especially after the Cup run, has your all-time Bruins team changed at all? Have Thomas orChara maybe made it? I think mine shakes down to Hodge Espo Bucyk Middleton Oates Neely Dumart Cowley Schmidt Cashman McNab  O'Reilly Orr Bourque Shore Park Clapper Chara Frank Brimsek Tiny Thompson (Thomas number 3) Longevity as a Bruin played a role in my choces.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I'll only enter the top 2 lines and only from players that I saw (1970's onwards).

Bucyk Espo Neely
    Cashman Oates Middleton

Bourque Orr
    Chara Park

Thomas
    Cheevers

I believe both Orr and Bourque played right defense most of the time, but I'll put Orr as the first line right defense with Bourque having to go to the left.

I don't believe Hodge was a better right winger than Neely or Middleton. He only had 3, maybe 4 great seasons, and due largely to Orr, Espo, Cashman.

Left wing is a real weak link in the Bruins history since 1970 onwards. Hopefully Lucic cracks the 3rd line.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I never made my team in order of the best, I made it in (after settling on the twelve) in regards to what would be the best lines. And Fletch, Juneau, Thorton and Savard were all competition with McNab. I onl gave it to McNab because of his ranking on the team points total. Cashman almost lost his spot to Looch. Hence my point about longevity.

And I also flipped a lot between Thompson and Thomas. It's such a tough call, that's why I posted this. To get opinions.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Generally great choices red though I'd probably also bump McNab too. Probably for Jean Ratelle who would centre that fourth line between those two beasts on either side of him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I'd give an honorable mention to Charlie Simmer...only 3 years with the B's but he sure could find the back of the net.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

my all-time starting lineup of B'S i've witnessed....

T. Thomas

R. Bourque

P. Esposito
    R. Middleton
    C. Neely

honorable mention....B. Park & A. Oates

PS....  had TT played in the 70's, the B'S could've and probably would've won at least two more Stanleys....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: All-time Bruins team:
    [QUOTE]Generally great choices red though I'd probably also bump McNab too. Probably for Jean Ratelle who would centre that fourth line between those two beasts on either side of him.
    Posted by Hanrahan1[/QUOTE]

Oh crap on a stick... I'm an idiot.

This is why lists like this can be dangerous. You invariably forget about someone. So pull McNab and add Ratelle. I'll edit my first post.

To the original point, Thomas is a struggle for me. I can see him ahead of Thompson, but Brimsek's two cups make for a strong argument. And with the new addition of Chara, is there any team in the league that could come within a country mile of matching that top six? Is there any Bruin more deserving of that 5th/6th spot in your opinion? Is Chara's addition premature?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In Response to All-time Bruins team:
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

id like to try red but its alittle differant

bucyk-esposito-hodge
    dumart-schmidt-middleton
    cashman-oates-neely
    marcotte-bergeron-oreilly

orr-bourque
    park-shore
    chara-wesley

cheevers
    thomas
    (*honorable mention to MOOG)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just a question(which is why I started this thread) I can see Bergeron, especially on the fourth lne, but why Cheevers as number 1, and why Marcotte?

Wesley was my 7th D.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]Just a question(which is why I started this thread) I can see Bergeron, especially on the fourth lne, but why Cheevers as number 1, and why Marcotte? Wesley was my 7th D.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

bergeron because of were i think he will finish his bruins career.

cheevers because of his record in the playoffs 53 wins 34 losses 2.69 gaa 8 shutouts

marcotte bucyk and schmidt i was lucky enough to have worked with the 3 of them at the garden at a young age. another reason was i used the post as best center,left wing,right wing, defense and goalie and marcotte is 3rd alltime for left wings in regular season scoring and playoffs for the boston bruins.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Good list Red.

Thomas and Cheevers definitely could be considered in goal.  The defense is bang on and hard to argue with the forwards.  Bergeron probably bumps someone if he stays healthy and stays with the B's.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

red i know what your trying to get at is this all time team!!!

smail-hawerchuk-mclean
    thachuk-steen-selanne
    lukowich-boschman-mcbain
    ariel-ladd-neufeld

olausson-caryle
    babych-ellett
    numminen-housley

berthiaume
    essensa

go JETS!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

[QUOTE]II like your list and most are from Canada!!!!!!!n Response to All-time Bruins team :
    Posted by Canadianfan6[/QUOTE]

Wow, what a shocker!  I didn't even know Canadians knew how to play hockey.  JK

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]red i know what your trying to get at is this all time team!!! smail-hawerchuk-mclean thachuk-steen-selanne lukowich-boschman-mcbain ariel-ladd-neufeld olausson-caryle babych-ellett numminen-housley berthiaume essensa go JETS!!!!
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that team should look more like
    hull-hawerchuk-selanne
    tkachuk-steen-hedberg
    zhamnov-nilson-lukowich
    mcbain-elyniuk-boschman

numminen-carlyle
    olausson-housley
    shanon-ellett

khabuillin
    essensa

Pretty depressing when compared to the Bruins, but I'd put that first line up against ayone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All-time Bruins team : Pretty sure that team should look more like hull-hawerchuk-selanne tkachuk-steen-hedberg zhamnov-nilson-lukowich mcbain-elyniuk-boschman numminen-carlyle olausson-housley shanon-ellett khabuillin essensa Pretty depressing when compared to the Bruins, but I'd put that first line up against ayone.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Those three would stand no chance against Recchi, Bergeron, Marchand, Chara, Seidenberg and Thomas!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All-time Bruins team : Pretty sure that team should look more like hull-hawerchuk-selanne tkachuk-steen-hedberg zhamnov-nilson-lukowich mcbain-elyniuk-boschman numminen-carlyle olausson-housley shanon-ellett khabuillin essensa Pretty depressing when compared to the Bruins, but I'd put that first line up against ayone.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

hull ----wow how could i forget the golden jet? what did u think of exlaination for cheevers,bergron, and marcotte.
    its funny how u mentioned wesley was your 7th d-man. after 5 it gets tough for defense

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

IWell from time to time I have to remind the Bostonians.   n Response to Re: All-time Bruins team:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: All-time Bruins team : Wow, what a shocker!  I didn't even know Canadians knew how to play hockey.  JK
    Posted by bostonbruins69[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

[QUOTE]IWell from time to time I have to remind the Bostonians.   n Response to Re: All-time Bruins team :
    Posted by Canadianfan6[/QUOTE]

Well from time to time I have to remind those who don't realize that the Boston Bruins are from Boston, Massachusetts and they play their a$$#s of for this region (New England) and that is what they represent.  They want to make this area proud and win for us.  That is why the parade is held in Boston.  Bergeron said it best, winning the Stanley Cup meant more to him than winning the gold medal at the Olympics.  Boston and all of New England is known for winning, especially the last decade, and that will only continue!  Canada's team; I think not.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All-time Bruins team : Well from time to time I have to remind those who don't realize that the Boston Bruins are from Boston, Massachusetts and they play their a$$#s of for this region (New England) and that is what they represent.  They want to make this area proud and win for us.  That is why the parade is held in Boston.  Bergeron said it best, winning the Stanley Cup meant more to him than winning the gold medal at the Olympics.  Boston and all of New England is known for winning, especially the last decade, and that will only continue!  Canada's team; I think not.
    I don't think anyone was claiming Boston was Cananda's team but the fact they had 16 Canadians out of the 20 skaters that dressed for the playoffs speaks volumes about Canadian hockey when compared to the rest of the world.Canada, as a nation, produces the best hockey players. This fact can't be denied.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All-time Bruins team : I don't think anyone was claiming Boston was Cananda's team but the fact they had 16 Canadians out of the 20 skaters that dressed for the playoffs speaks volumes about Canadian hockey when compared to the rest of the world.Canada, as a nation, produces the best hockey players. This fact can't be denied.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I wasn't denying that fact in anyway.  They definitely produce the most hockey players out of any other nation.  I think talent wise though, it is starting to level out more than ever.  The rest of the world is starting to catch up.  Just like with sports started in America.  Hockey has only grown in America and I can only see that continuing.  Especially if there is both an NFL and NBA lockout.  It would be the best thing for hockey in America in a long time.  And I just wanted to make sure that those who think Boston is Canada's team that they are in fact New England's team.  I don't think that fact can be denied either.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All-time Bruins team : I wasn't denying that fact in anyway.  They definitely produce the most hockey players out of any other nation.  I think talent wise though, it is starting to level out more than ever.  The rest of the world is starting to catch up.  Just like with sports started in America.  Hockey has only grown in America and I can only see that continuing.  Especially if there is both an NFL and NBA lockout.  It would be the best thing for hockey in America in a long time.  And I just wanted to make sure that those who think Boston is Canada's team that they are in fact New England's team.  I don't think that fact can be denied either.
    Cheers to that.