ALL Time Nastiest Bruins Team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

ALL Time Nastiest Bruins Team

Who would it be that makes YOUR Team?
    Terry O'Reilly, Derek Sanderson, Stan Jonathan
    Bobby Orr, Eddie Shore
    Gerry Cheevers

I am sure there are many others...I'd love to see what your recommendations are.
    Just something that could be fun to pass the time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: ALL Time Nastiest Bruins Team

In my mind the nastiest ( as in dirtiest ) Bruin that I ever seen was Wayne Cashman. IMO he is one of the worst guys ever ( not just Bruins ) in using his stick against opponents. As I recall Jim Schoenfeld and him had an ongoing feud because of it. He is at the top of this list for me.

Cashman's most memorable fight :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofev3nwJjFs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

I gave Cash some thought, as well, Bobby Schmautz. Maybe nastiest wasn't the best word choice...toughest...I don't know...swashbucklers, might have been most accurate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: ALL Time Nastiest Bruins Team:
    [QUOTE]I gave Cash some thought, as well, Bobby Schmautz. Maybe nastiest wasn't the best word choice...toughest...I don't know...swashbucklers, might have been most accurate.
    Posted by TomOBrien[/QUOTE]

Oh yes Tom I forgot about Schmautz . Good one ! Right up there with Cashman with the stickwork . My toughest is Stan Jonathan. 5'8'' of toughness.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RechsimusMaximus. Show RechsimusMaximus's posts

Kessel-Thornton-Zhamnov
    Mclaren-Wideman

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

For goalie it has to be Thomas. His tackle on Sedin was epic.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'd say Thomas too. I don't know how Cheevers could get the toughest. When the Bruins had a big lead, he used to skate out of the net and let a big slapper go in rather than risk getting hit. In Cheevers Hall of Fame video both Brad Park and Bobby Hull talk about this, including one time when Cheevers actually skated out of the net and hid behind his D rather than face a Hull slapshot from the top of the slot.

Heck, the name of the video is "It coulda hit me."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRbxdgIVYZ0

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

How about Byron Dafoe in net?

Dafoe pounds Patrick Lalime.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjOVhT3o2Zg

Dafoe engages Dale Hunter and wrestles Kolzig
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RhrFsUyfec

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joebondo. Show joebondo's posts

[QUOTE]How about Byron Dafoe in net? Dafoe pounds Patrick Lalime. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjOVhT3o2Zg Dafoe engages Dale Hunter and wrestles Kolzig http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RhrFsUyfec
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Jeez forgot about that after nearly 10 years, that was amazing!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Remember Nevin Markwart in the mid'80's (I think)?  In the Jonathan mold of not being a big guy but absolutely fearless and tough.  Would fight anyone.  I'd also have Byers in there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

PJ Stock, Ken Belanger and Cam Neely were all pretty nasty guys.  Some of my favorite tough guys over the past 20 years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: ALL Time Nastiest Bruins Team:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ALL Time Nastiest Bruins Team :  My toughest is Stan Jonathan. 5'8'' of toughness.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

And no one else was even close! Nastiest ? O'Reilly over 2000Mins PIM, How could you go wrong with Happy Gilmore's favorite player ?...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I'd say Thomas too. I don't know how Cheevers could get the toughest. When the Bruins had a big lead, he used to skate out of the net and let a big slapper go in rather than risk getting hit. In Cheevers Hall of Fame video both Brad Park and Bobby Hull talk about this, including one time when Cheevers actually skated out of the net and hid behind his D rather than face a Hull slapshot from the top of the slot. Heck, the name of the video is "It coulda hit me." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRbxdgIVYZ0
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Not standing in front of a Hull slap shot when the game was decided?  I don't see that as cowardice.  I see it as slightly comical, slightly smart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UWpW-Z3BmY

Quinn hits Orr.  Who's there to fight?  Cheevers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ALL Time Nastiest Bruins Team : Not standing in front of a Hull slap shot when the game was decided?  I don't see that as cowardice.  I see it as slightly comical, slightly smart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UWpW-Z3BmY Quinn hits Orr.  Who's there to fight?  Cheevers.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Never meant that it was a sign of cowardice NAS. I find it absolutely hilarious. Just that, when compared to Timmy who battles on every single shot even if the Bruins are up by 8, that I'd give Timmy the edge in toughness over Cheesy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ALL Time Nastiest Bruins Team : Never meant that it was a sign of cowardice NAS. I find it absolutely hilarious. Just that, when compared to Timmy who battles on every single shot even if the Bruins are up by 8, that I'd give Timmy the edge in toughness over Cheesy.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I don't see how that translates into toughness.  I can see how it translates into style, or approach, but not how tough a guy is. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

anything nastier than a rat?....

how about Kenny Linseman....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Red, I am inclined to agree with you. TT is right up there...Timmy stopped one shot with his face after his mask came off.
    I just feel Cheesey was more of a brawler.
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ALL Time Nastiest Bruins Team : Never meant that it was a sign of cowardice NAS. I find it absolutely hilarious. Just that, when compared to Timmy who battles on every single shot even if the Bruins are up by 8, that I'd give Timmy the edge in toughness over Cheesy.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

The nastiest Bruin ever had to be Shore.  I never saw him play, but everything Ive ever read about the guy says he was NOT out there to make friends, and was one of the most vindictive and nastiest players in NHL history.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Wasn't Terrible Ted Green one of the toughest, nastiest Bruins?  I don't know if this is true but I think I read somewhere of word Emile Francis put a bounty on his head for any Ranger who could really hammer him.  Might be hockey lore from the 60's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ALL Time Nastiest Bruins Team : I don't see how that translates into toughness.  I can see how it translates into style, or approach, but not how tough a guy is. 

I guess I equate "toughness" to a willingness to battle for the puck. Timmy does that more than maybe any goalie I've ever seen. There's a reason his teammates have nicknamed his style "Battle-fly." I don't necessarily look at fighting as being the defining characteristic of being tough. A guy who's willing to take the pounding in the corners or the front of the net, and give better than he gets, is what I think of when I hear "tough." From a goalie's standpoint, Thomas stands out to me as having a similar set of characteristics.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I bet Thomas is more mentally tough than just about any other guy in the league too.  Some call it character, some heart, but whatever it is, Thomas has it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ALL Time Nastiest Bruins Team : Not standing in front of a Hull slap shot when the game was decided?  I don't see that as cowardice.  I see it as slightly comical, slightly smart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UWpW-Z3BmY Quinn hits Orr.  Who's there to fight?  Cheevers.

LOL! Cheesy was an awesome character. The time I hung out with him & Bobby Hull was probably one of my most favourite party's. I asked Cheevers what kind of off season work he did. He laughed & said Harry would call me 4 days before training camp & tell me I better not be out of shape. Cheesysaid he'd book a flt to Fla & rent a convertible. Take 4 black plastic garbage bags & cut the corners off; then put them on.Then he'd drive around Fla for about 2 days to sweat all the alcohol he drank in the off-season out! That's just classic Sh!t

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

<
    <
    <   MY AVATAR
    <
    <

OREILLY - CASHMAN - JONATHAN

MILBURY - GREEN

THOMAS

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]The nastiest Bruin ever had to be Shore.  I never saw him play, but everything Ive ever read about the guy says he was NOT out there to make friends, and was one of the most vindictive and nastiest players in NHL history.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    When Don Cherry calls him the Darth Vader of hockey that tells you something. Everything i have ever read about him tells in detail how tough he was . From playing with broken jaws to having his ear nearly ripped off and getting it sewn back on and coming back to play. Just a list of all the injuries he suffered during his hockey career are down right amazing. Like you say he was very vindictive and made no bones about intentionally trying to injure an opponent and put him out of the game.Had a perpetual scowl on his face at all times and was not afraid to use his stick to injure. Makes Matt Cooke look like Jean Ratelle.

Sections
Shortcuts