An age old trend being turned on it's head this year...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

An age old trend being turned on it's head this year...

Remember when teams always won their first game with a new coach? That sure hasn't been happening this year.  LA and Montreal lose last night. Washington, Carolina and Anaheim took a while to get their new coaches a win. 

It used to be pretty commonplace and something people always take note of, that a team who fires their coach always gets a temporary boost, because it jolts a lot of players, because they now have to impress the new guy, to get their ice time and things like that

Maybe this year is just an anomaly.  Or maybe there are other reasons and this kind of thing will continue to go this way more often that the old way.  What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: An age old trend being turned on it's head this year...

A couple of thought spring to mind.  The kind of player who tunes out a coach because he doesn't like what he hears is also the kind of player who thinks the new coach has to prove something to him.  Plus, they're often not keen to change their games whether to suit the old coach or a new one, so it's not a big change for them unless the coach says "Semin!  I want you to loaf around until you feel like making a selfish but spectacular rush!  You go, baby!"

Option 2?  The wrong guy was fired.  These are not good teams.  The rosters are thin, and the coach may have actually made them look better - more like what their pay scale says they should be.  The new guy can't make chicken salad out of...what he was left.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Kings defense, their actual new coach has yet to be behind bench...Sutter

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Also in the Kings defense Richards has been out pretty much since the start of the bad play in LA. As a fan I'd rather see the boost after the coach implements his methods. One thing coaches have no control over is player injuries and managements acquisitions.

When Maurice first took over Carolina a few years ago their was not not immediate success and in his words "The team didn't start performing the right way until they started performing my way".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In Response to Re: An age old trend being turned on it's head this year...:
    [QUOTE]Also in the Kings defense Richards has been out pretty much since the start of the bad play in LA. As a fan I'd rather see the boost after the coach implements his methods. One thing coaches have no control over is player injuries and managements acquisitions. When Maurice first took over Carolina a few years ago their was not not immediate success and in his words "The team didn't start performing the right way until they started performing my way".
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Maybe so, but that team has a lot of talent and is clearly underperforming.. Kopitar has not taken the team on his back and carried it lately like he was at start of season , and Doughty clearly is not the player he was in past.. Wonder if his sitting out and demanding to be top paid player has not had a deep rooted effect on others on this team... 7 pts in 27 games for 7 mil .. not a very good trade off..all of a sudden the goaltending is not there either... This team should be a lot better and should be able to withstand a loss of Richards. 

To the subject at hand.. I remember the old days as well when you wanted to shake up your team usually a major trade happened.. I know these are different times and salary cap and all, but I am stunned that these teams that are struggling ie LA, Washington, Anaheim, Montreal, Carolina   have not pulled off a major trade to wake up their respective teams...  There are players still on these rosters that could and should be moved in order for these teams to move upward. I mean Carolina if they made the decision to trade Eric Staal could greatly improve their team significantly.. Jeff Skinner is the top player on that team and a kid you build around.. What is taking Rutherford so long to figure that out..

Sections
Shortcuts