An look at #22 without gloves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: An look at #22 without gloves

Nas,
    I think your dead wrong though.. Thorntons fight the other night (in the ATL game)..

ATL loaded up with their goon line, and we countered with ours..

But I dont think it was "staged", and I don't think it was "useless".. Your bring to short sighted, how dead did this team start the games leading up to this game? how poorly was the first shift, how dead was the team..

That fight gauranteed you were going to get some energy from the first shift, and thornton made sure the crowd, and the team were in it by staying on, the refs came in to end the fight and the players agreed to keep going..

This wasn't some heartless staged fight, or it would have ended 45 seconds before it did..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: An look at #22 without gloves:
    Nas, I think your dead wrong though.. Thorntons fight the other night (in the ATL game).. ATL loaded up with their goon line, and we countered with ours.. But I dont think it was "staged", and I don't think it was "useless".. Your bring to short sighted, how dead did this team start the games leading up to this game? how poorly was the first shift, how dead was the team.. That fight gauranteed you were going to get some energy from the first shift, and thornton made sure the crowd, and the team were in it by staying on, the refs came in to end the fight and the players agreed to keep going.. This wasn't some heartless staged fight, or it would have ended 45 seconds before it did..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Were the players mad at each other?  Was there an action that caused the fight?  Was there anything behind it at all?

No.  It was goon vs. goon, STAGED to get the team and the crowd into it.

Fake fight. 

They chat at the faceoff.  The puck drops.  They slowly take off their gloves, drop their sticks and skate to a nice place to fight.  Then they dance.  Then they engage.

When they are tired, they stop fighting, let go and freely skate to the boxes.

FRAUD.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

Agree, staged fight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

NAS,
    you want to go on record and saying there was nothing behind this at all? They fought last time the teams played each other..Could very well fight the next time the teams play each other..

Mccarty fought Lemeiux on the opening faceoff of the season opener in 1997, as a carry over from the 97' playoffs, there was nothing fake about that...

I think it was to send a message, I dont think it was a direct result of  a play that just happened on the ice, that being said, it wasn't useless, if it gets the team and the crowd involved (As you also stated) then theres a point to it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS, you want to go on record and saying there was nothing behind this at all? They fought last time the teams played each other..Could very well fight the next time the teams play each other.. Mccarty fought Lemeiux on the opening faceoff of the season opener in 1997, as a carry over from the 97' playoffs, there was nothing fake about that... I think it was to send a message, I dont think it was a direct result of  a play that just happened on the ice, that being said, it wasn't useless, if it gets the team and the crowd involved (As you also stated) then theres a point to it
    Posted by rolerhoky19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UXVQr5LKiU

There is the staged fight from the game before.  Same thing.  Slowly take off the gloves, make room, dance, engage, stop, skate away.  This one was a little different, however, because Thornton appears to offer a "nice fight" at the end. (around the 1:00 mark).

Yeah, I'll go on the record, Roler.  I'll go on the record saying that these two frauds fight for entertainment and don't fight for anything that has to do with the hockey game at hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMZnJxsQp0o

Here is another one from these two clowns.  Boulton gets his throwing arm caught in his jersey, so Thornton stops throwing and patiently waits for Boulton to be ready.  When Boulton's jersey goes over his head, Thornton just stops. 

FRAUDS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtIK56yNsr8

In this fake fight, they spend more time getting ready than they do fighting.  Thornton goes down quickly and both decide not to fight.

FRAUDS.

Do you need any more, Roler?

Lemieux/McCarty was based on a previous incident.  I'm sure you've heard the name Chris Draper, right?  You know about Lemieux's turtle routine the season before, right?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I once cheered for Derek Sanderson . Should I have not because of what he was doing off the ice ? Having an addiction doesn't make someone a bad person. And booing or cheering for someone on the basis they have an illness like this ? Please ! A part of my new job has me around patients who have had these past problems . They are good people who have made bad decisions. Having a heart to recognize this does help.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Say no more your spot on as I feel the same about Kevin Stevens.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: An look at #22 without gloves : Say no more your spot on as I feel the same about Kevin Stevens.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

The married man who's wife was expecting their third child when he got caught smoking crack with a lady of the night in a hotel room?

That Kevin Stevens?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Nas,
    do you feel smart because you went further into detail on the incidents I referenced?  Congrats..

And because these to have a mutual respect and are willing to fight by "the code" doesn't mean there is nothing there..

Like I said, and you failed to comment on, I dont think this was a staged fight from the stand point of, ok lets fight were goons we have to. I think it was deliberate on thorntons part to set the tone for the game, from the first shift.

By the way I was at the game it was probably the best regular season game I have been at.. Thornton played a great game, but still doesnt belong on the ice right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Nas, do you feel smart because you went further into detail on the incidents I referenced?  Congrats.. And because these to have a mutual respect and are willing to fight by "the code" doesn't mean there is nothing there.. Like I said, and you failed to comment on, I dont think this was a staged fight from the stand point of, ok lets fight were goons we have to. I think it was deliberate on thorntons part to set the tone for the game, from the first shift. By the way I was at the game it was probably the best regular season game I have been at.. Thornton played a great game, but still doesnt belong on the ice right?
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I don't feel smart because of anything I post here.  I am smart.

Maybe we view it differently.  I call a fight between two guy who always fight that has zero to do with any events, current or previous, staged.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

By the way I was at the game it was probably the best regular season game I have been at.. Thornton played a great game, but still doesnt belong on the ice right?
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Here's a great game by Peter Schaefer.  Two goals, one assist, #1 star of the game.  He really played a great game.  I don't think he belonged on the ice either.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore;_ylt=AuJdjdp1zIoNpGrgfSndGNdivLYF?gid=2007111501

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: An look at #22 without gloves : The married man who's wife was expecting their third child when he got caught smoking crack with a lady of the night in a hotel room? That Kevin Stevens? Posted by Not-A-Shot

No your right he should've been taken down the hill stoned then put into an Iron Maiden along with Bob Probert. Guess you've GOT another girl on this site red75 to brow beat eh ?

Self righteous big man NAS feeling good tonight go beat your chest silverback....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: An look at #22 without gloves : No your right he should've been taken down the hill stoned then put into an Iron Maiden along with Bob Probert. Guess you've GOT another girl on this site red75 to brow beat eh ? Self righteous big man NAS feeling good tonight go beat your chest silverback....
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Personally I don't mind staged fights.  The message it sends to both teams may be something like "Hey, a fourth line guy is willing to get his face rearranged here - the rest of us better be all in too."  In a way, it promotes accountabilty.

I think that a contributing factor to many of these staged fights in today's NHL is simply due to the fact that there are less and less natural rivalries than there used to be.  Back in the day when I had season tix I can remember the high emotions that you could actually feel in the old barn during Adams division games.  The cast of characters was endless - Dale Hunter with the Nordiques, Kordic & Knuckles with the Habs, Ulfie & Verbeek with the Whalers, Foligno with the Sabres.  Those were guys that fans loved to hate.  There just aren't that many players in today's game that make your blood boil like it used to.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Dez, Let's get into the chara debate for just a few minutes b/c neither of us can prove anything b/c we arent on the ice.  My point was strengthening N-O-T's point on how we have Chara/Lucic/Campy/Stuart and we really don't need a heavyweight enforcer.  I will throw these questions out.  And you answer them for me. 1.  How many fights has Chara been in the last 2 yrs?  2.  How many times as the leader should he have jumped into the mix and made other teams think twice for taking out or attempting to injure teammates.  I can think of 4 off the top of my head.  Cooke, Gaustad, Orr and Carcillo.   By the way.  Orr did want a piece of Chara and was turned down.  If Chara destroys Orr in that instant after he pounded the younger Lucic I would be on here singing a different song.  That was the big defining moment for me with this guy.  The fact they played a week later and Begin was the man who stood up.  Embarrasing!!!!  3.  What are Chara's major strengths and what made him an elite player?  I will say he came in as a young banger who faught whenever needed and made a name for himself.  He was a raw talent, not many figured he would be this good.  I think what he did early on in his career have opened the lanes for the player he is now.  BUT- as a leader and captain of a team...sometimes you need to go crazy at times.  Ok.  we can debate this back and forth with no real evidence to support either side.  We have opinions.  If you want stats its easy to point out that his number of majors have dropped.  2000-2006 (31) 2006-2011 (9) Dez, its hard to get a good read on what I am trying to point out over a message as well.  I really like Chara.  I just believe for him to be an elite player he needs to drop the gloves more.  I know that sounds stupid but there are occassions when a leader needs to do this.  Iggy does it often when his team needs a lift and normally gets in 4-6 fights a year.  Chara can battle with anyone in the league.  When he does he sets himself apart.  When he hammers people he sets himself apart.  I have also noticed more people take runs at him then in the past.  I just want his game to be complete.  If you like the Hal Gill version he provides then no arguments from me.  But when you make 7 million a year and wear the C I want more.  I want the intangibles that make him Big Z. 
    Posted by shuperman

I truly believe his fight numbers are down mainly because he has so few takers.I'm with you.I'd love to see Chara smash a few faces to keep people honest but the fact is ,MOST players run from him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: An look at #22 without gloves : I don't feel smart because of anything I post here.  I am smart. Maybe we view it differently.  I call a fight between two guy who always fight that has zero to do with any events, current or previous, staged.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I mentioned the Godard-Carkner fight(in the Where were you thread)from last week and got no reply from you.It was a "staged fight" by your standards.Ottawa certainly seemed to get a huge lift(and momentum swing)when Godard had to  leave the game for medical treatment.Ottawa went on to score 2 goals that period  and won the game.Any thoughts on that fight or did you not see it?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

NAS,
    I will go with we see it differently.. I see this as a team that was struggling, starting off awful, and Thornton taking it on himself to do what he can do to lift the team.. The 2 goals was a career game but even with out that I think the message (much like dez pointed out) is everyone has to do what he can.. Thornton in my opinion refused to let the team come out flat.

Leading up to the game there was a lot of talk of fighting at practice etc, he made sure the team carried it over into the game..

I am all for that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I think NAS is correct that the Thornton fight in the last Atlanta game was "staged" whatever that may be.  Although it would be NHL suicide for him to say the management wanted him to fight, I truly believe he knows the score prior to each game.  I also agree with NAS on Thornton's institctive or begot by anger fights.  Thornton has not truly lost it in defense of his team mates.  Every once in awhile I would like him to go crazy.  It would take the edge off the other team!  

NAS, to proclaim you are smart puts you in the Soxfan from Illinois category (can't remember his handle name).  Now that is not good company.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Isla,
    I dont think the was a message sent down by management, I think thornton took it on himself.. Thats the "leadership" he can provide..
    To say it had no affect on that game though? team had lost 3 straight and played flat out awful.. Came out with a fight and then dominated the game..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

See, I probably agree with the general dislike of staged fights in the NHL, but way too may blatant generalizations in this thread for it to get much respect.   Like:

Any fight that doesn't involve complete, uncontrolled, spontaneous rage is a fraud...(waiting for a puck drop to fight so you don't get suspended doesn't mean you're not angry -- it just means you're not so selfish that you would punish the whole team to settle your score)?

and,

No person suffering from addiction dererves any support from the fans.

There is no need to simplify everything down to black and white, there are shades of gray out there...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: An look at #22 without gloves : I mentioned the Godard-Carkner fight(in the Where were you thread)from last week and got no reply from you.It was a "staged fight" by your standards.Ottawa certainly seemed to get a huge lift(and momentum swing)when Godard had to  leave the game for medical treatment.Ottawa went on to score 2 goals that period  and won the game.Any thoughts on that fight or did you not see it?
    Posted by dezaruchi

I didn't see the game, the fight or the goals.  According to the box score, the fight took place at 2:07 of the first.  Ottawa scored seven minutes later on the powerplay and again around the 13 minute mark.

Watching the fight, it looks like Carkner got a couple of good shots in.  Does that mean the goals Ottawa scored after the fight were directly related to it?

Not to me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: An look at #22 without gloves : I didn't see the game, the fight or the goals.  According to the box score, the fight took place at 2:07 of the first.  Ottawa scored seven minutes later on the powerplay and again around the 13 minute mark. Watching the fight, it looks like Carkner got a couple of good shots in.  Does that mean the goals Ottawa scored after the fight were directly related to it? Not to me.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I wasn't claiming one thing or another-just interested if you had any thoughts on it.watching the game,it SEEMED like Ottawa got an energy boost from it and grabbed momentum.I personally don't like Carkner or Godard since neither seem to add any skill to the game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

In Response to Re: An look at #22 without gloves : I didn't see the game, the fight or the goals. Posted by Not-A-Shot

Busy posting no doubt. Get a job/life/hobby.

3500 plus posts in less than a year?

Sections
Shortcuts