Analysis of Giroux hit on Bergeron

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Analysis of Giroux hit on Bergeron

After watching this hit numerous times, I still don't see any contact with Bergeron's head.  Could this concussion have occured simply because he was stopped dead in his tracks, rather than from direct contact to his head?  That's what it looks like to me.  I'm not a doctor so I was wondering if a concussion can occur without direct contact with the head.  Anyone agree with this assessment?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Analysis of Giroux hit on Bergeron

In Response to Analysis of Giroux hit on Bergeron:
    After watching this hit numerous times, I still don't see any contact with Bergeron's head.  Could this concussion have occured simply because he was stopped dead in his tracks, rather than from direct contact to his head?  That's what it looks like to me.  I'm not a doctor so I was wondering if a concussion can occur without direct contact with the head.  Anyone agree with this assessment?
    Posted by hangnail

It absolutely can happen that way Hang.when a player is stopped dead in his tracks, the brain still continues moving forward inside the skull.That's what we all witnessed with Bergeron.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Yea dez I still can't tell if Giroux got him "center mass" right below the chin, or if, additionally, Bergie's head slammed off of Giroux's body.  Probably a little of both but the angles I looked at doesn't confirm for sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

You need to look at the hit from Bergeron's back and you will see they hit helmet to helmet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

CHEAPSHOT....the NHL interviewed Ference for a shoulder tap on Mr. Fake Habitant...a guy who jumped back on bench and into play 5 minutes after his supposed horrible hit by Andrew....Yet, Bergeron, a man with a history of headshots, gets drilled by Giroux in an absolute unecessary, intent to injure hit...If you don't see that, then I'll buy you some nice prescription glasses...who cares if it was directed at the head or not...It was intent to hurt Patrice when he was not in
    a position to defend himself...Same thing when Savard got nailed by the clownact Penguin who has since injured about 5 other guys.....CHANGE THE PADS...GET RID OF PLASTIC SHOULDER PADS...go back to the old pads, and old helmets, watch as hitting continues to be strong, but injuries drop by the bushelfull.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

who do you think you are dez... dr. recchi? LOL ,you are correct though. i'm trying to pull any positives out of this i can. 1) he got up on his own rather quickly,2) skated off the ice under his own power,3) did not appear to stumble or look disoriented. i think(easy for me to say) patrice was a bit scared after the hit, and immediately decided to get himself checked out(rightfully so). i bet he checked out fine, but now they must follow protocol(the reason why pc was able to give a timetable). i mean given patrices' history, there is no way that timetable can be given- if he had in fact suffered another concussion-mild or not. something tells me #37 will be back soon, but only if he is 100% ready, please. i think this was more of a patrice being cautious thing, than a serious medical issue. there i just played doctor and psychologist in one post! beat that. go red wings

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Re: Analysis of Giroux hit on Bergeron:
    CHEAPSHOT....the NHL interviewed Ference for a shoulder tap on Mr. Fake Habitant...a guy who jumped back on bench and into play 5 minutes after his supposed horrible hit by Andrew....Yet, Bergeron, a man with a history of headshots, gets drilled by Giroux in an absolute unecessary, intent to injure hit...If you don't see that, then I'll buy you some nice prescription glasses...who cares if it was directed at the head or not...It was intent to hurt Patrice when he was not in a position to defend himself...Same thing when Savard got nailed by the clownact Penguin who has since injured about 5 other guys.....CHANGE THE PADS...GET RID OF PLASTIC SHOULDER PADS...go back to the old pads, and old helmets, watch as hitting continues to be strong, but injuries drop by the bushelfull.
    Posted by dannycater

That's one way to look at it.  Another way to look at it is if Bergy had his head up, he could have braced for it, or maybe even avoided it.  Can't blame Giroux for finishing his check.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Bergeron also hit his head on the ice.  That causes more cuncussions in the NHL than direct hits, and in this case may have been the worse impact.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Bergeron also hit his head on the ice.  That causes more cuncussions in the NHL than direct hits, and in this case may have been the worse impact.
    Posted by DrCC

I'm not so sure about that Dr...Usually when a player slams his head on the ice, his first instinctive reaction is to grab his head with his hands.  Bergy didn't do that, which leads me to believe the impact with Giroux's body was the main cause of injury.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Here is the Utube that shows the helmet to helmet contact:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw-jujMLMpU&feature=player_embedded

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

In Response to Analysis of Giroux hit on Bergeron:
    Posted by hangnail

Yep it can happen. In fact Im proof of it happening. Im pretty big into mountain biking and while out west I went off a 7 foot drop into a transition. But as I went off I was leaning back to far over the rear tire and when I landed on the transition, my bike kind of propelled out from under me. At the time I was riding clipless pedals and could not disengage from my pedals. My bike fell to one side while I tried to remain up right and hit a tree (fallen over) square in my chest. The sudden stoppage was like whip lash. So, I never had anything hit my head or face, just the chest area. I ended up with a mild concussion. Ive had several concussions in my younger years while playing soccer, so I knew I had one this time. It just wasnt as bad. The weird thing is, growing up and playing full contact hockey, I never got a concussion, but in soccer I had gotten 3 of them. Go figure. I know for many soccer is boring, but it is a pretty physical game. Ive actually seen more people injured playing soccer than hockey. Blown ACL/MCL's, Leg breaks, ankle sprains, torn stuff, pulled stuff, groin tears. Everything you can think of. Ok I was trailing off. Sorry. Anyway, this all occurred on my second day of riding a seven day trip. Needless to say I was out there the next day riding. Of course taking it easier on the bike. More serious concussions I have had, Ive been laid up for two or three days, just feeling nautious and seeing stars/triangular shapes in my peripheral. Anyone who has had a concussion knows what I am talking about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

do we need another thread about this? clean hit, move on

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

do we need another thread about this? clean hit, move on
    Posted by thedauber1

The post wasnt about whether it was clean or not. The question was proposed as to whether or not one could get a concussion without making an impact of some sort to the head.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from twentyfour. Show twentyfour's posts

For what it's worth, I was sitting right in front of Bergeron when he went down and he did, indeed, hit the front of his head on the ice.  I saw his face and he was obviously dazed...he hesitated as if he was trying to get his bearings, looked around for a second then he got up and skated to the bench. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

cheapshot

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from doodles444s. Show doodles444s's posts

For what it's worth, I was sitting right in front of Bergeron when he went down and he did, indeed, hit the front of his head on the ice.  I saw his face and he was obviously dazed...he hesitated as if he was trying to get his bearings, looked around for a second then he got up and skated to the bench. 
    Posted by twentyfour

I agree.. If you look at the video someone provided up thread it shows a bunch of different angles and at 32 seconds in he hits his head (facefirst) and it actually bounces off the ice.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Mike Richards is definitely rubbing off on CLaude Giroux.

Claude Giroux was clowning around all of the 3rd period. He had an episode with Marchand that Brad let pass, thank goodness. Giroux also unleashed a big time slash on another Bruin, breaking his stick but aimed at the wrist. No penalty was called for anything.

I would not want to be Claude Giroux when he meets up with Bruins next season for the first time. If he isn't a marked man something is wrong.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

AFTER Montreal got eliminated the league suddenly is taking a stand against diving. Now AFTER the Flyers are eliminated the league can also take a stand against head shots. Most likely the Bruins will be penalized for several phantom dives. Take that to the bank. Just like I said a week ago that the Flyers will take a Bruin out of the playoffs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

if you watch life in slo-mo, EVERYTHING looks devastating. a single drop of rain looks like it could obliterate the planet. stop over-analyzing. yes, his bell was rung, slightly(if that's possible), he got up, skated off the ice w/o assistance. pc announces it'll be a game or two. this tells you all you need to know. it's not that serious- or this could/would have NEVER been the report. that being said, don't let him on the ice if that's what it takes for complete recovery. i think patrice kinda "freaked out", and wanted to be extra cautious- hence minimum time lost. time will tell 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I have had a concussion from a sudden stop too.  The hitting of your head isnt what causes a concussion, its your brain hitting the inside of your skull.  Whether thats from a sudden stop (car accident with seat belt on) on running your head into a tree, its the exact same outcome.  Hitting your head has NOTHING to do with the actual act of getting concussed.  Its simply the brain slamming into the wall of your skull, regardless of the cause.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

who do you think you are dez... dr. recchi? LOL ,you are correct though. i'm trying to pull any positives out of this i can. 1) he got up on his own rather quickly,2) skated off the ice under his own power,3) did not appear to stumble or look disoriented. i think(easy for me to say) patrice was a bit scared after the hit, and immediately decided to get himself checked out(rightfully so). i bet he checked out fine, but now they must follow protocol(the reason why pc was able to give a timetable). i mean given patrices' history, there is no way that timetable can be given- if he had in fact suffered another concussion-mild or not. something tells me #37 will be back soon, but only if he is 100% ready, please. i think this was more of a patrice being cautious thing, than a serious medical issue. there i just played doctor and psychologist in one post! beat that. go red wings
    Posted by adkbeesfan

I honestly hold my breath every time Bergeron lays a hit now that he's got the head issues. I worry he'll be another Lindros and the thought of that sickens me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

me too, i hope to see bergy skate for the black and gold for MANY years to come. any contrary thought makes me very sad- he's my boy!

Sections
Shortcuts