Analytical Observations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Analytical Observations

Plenty of bike racks after school name calling threads about knee-jerk (and non-knee jerk) calls for firings, massive trades, heart transplants etc.  Spiced in among them - people actually observing the games and making interesting observations about where the Bruins' game is breaking down (as opposed to simply saying the system is to blame).  I'd like this thread to be reserved for that - rather than emotional reactions to what you see as a lack of effort or letting the fans down, some more technical talk about what they're doing well and what isn't working.

For example, the Bruins' offensive game tends to work in two broad phases - the rush and the cycle.  Lately, they've been better on the rush than on the cycle, but the weakness of the way they rush tends to be very much about guys filling their lanes.  You see it particularly with Seguin and Marchand on a two on two - they go down their lanes and either look for the cross-ice pass or they blast away looking for a rebound.  They don't cross or change speeds to create different angles, and they don't circle back to look for a trailer.  Everything is North-South.  It's a little different with the Krejci line (with Lucic and Horton) but not much.  The pattern hits Kelly the hardest - how many times does he just hang on to the puck because there is no play?  Now they have Jagr, you see even more clearly what they could do if they varied the approach.  Marchand's goal the other night was a result of Jagr moving east west to create a lane for Marchand to beat Letang.  We've also seen a couple of occasions where two guys filling lanes leaves a wide-open zone where a guy like Jagr can curl and snap off a wrister for a goal or a rebound.  I'd like to see more conscious effort to vary the rush within that basic north-south game to create more of those good looks rather than the low percentage cross-crease feed we so often see whack off the defender.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Analytical Observations

Shut up, moron.

No, I am one who thinks the problem is more mental than physical, and is result of mental fatigue more than physical fatigue.  I don't know if that's better or worse.

The veterans make the playoffs every year now, and they've been around the block, so I just think it is ineviatable that they are not mentally engaged after clinching a playoff spot and then playing out this tiresome regular season schedule.  

On top of that, I don't think there is any sense that winning a game against the Flyers makes their playoff chances better or worse.  What's more, I think the bombings did have an effect on these guys.  It has been very distracting.  It has to be hard to pretend that the hockey is so important right now.  I don't think the pre-game ceremonies help either.  All these heartfelt messages of unity and comradery don't exactly lend themselves to the Big-Bad-Bruin mentality.  I don't think these guys can be re-inspired by another regular season game against Tampa bay either.  I think this will continue through the last game, and I think they should try out younger bodies at this point and rest some guys for the playoffs.

Do I think they will be able to flip the switch to better playoff intensity and execution?  I don't know.  But I won't bet against guys like Bergeron and Chara raising their game and leading everyone else to do the same.  Lucic could turn the corner and score in bunches.  Seguin could seize the moment.  The goalies still look very good to me.  The team is pretty healthy.  I think there is a decent chance that they come back from their current mental vacation, and take on the playoffs with a vengeance.  From energy comes improved execution and confidence, and maybe it all builds to something formidible.  Maybe not...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Fletcher why do you insult bookboy ??   He has the right to express his opinion...this is getting to be a problem here...because someone has a different opinion doesnt mean he is a moron...

personnaly I think all the coaching staff is trying hard to find out how to get the team out of this slump...videos after videos, mentally, physically etc....I believe the players need to play with more emotions ...in 1972 Canada beat a much stronger team with more skills just with their emotions ...something the russians could not get ....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Time for the Bruins to concentrate on making shorter passes Too many players are looking for the long bomb. This team isn't really built that way. They're better off making many short passes. Easier to go tape to tape and less chance of it being picked off.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I disagree with you completely. First off Marchand pulls up and looks for a trailer all the time. i honestly can't believe you made that statement. Secondly why would you criss cross on a two on two? all that does is give the D more time, and the back checkers a better chance

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

You criss cross on a 2 on 2 in the hopes that the D both attempt to defend the same guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

This is not analytical but just an observation.  I do not see them having any fun or enjoyment from playing the game. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

Fletcher why do you insult bookboy ??   He has the right to express his opinion...this is getting to be a problem here...because someone has a different opinion doesnt mean he is a moron...

Oh boy...

BCD should offer an online class in sarcasm on the board.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

I agree with you regarding the linear approach of recent times....it may not necessarily be in need of criss crossing per se but changing up said linear approach and certainly not sending a shot on net*which I would take if in fact they were bona fide "bombs" or had some sense of intent on them) from outside the face off circle or half boards which is basically resigning to gaining a offensive zone face off...especially when they arent pressed to do or dont have other options.....but they do and seem to not be interested in curling back to open space and look for the trailing forward or a forthcoming defenceman....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

I disagree with you completely. First off Marchand pulls up and looks for a trailer all the time. i honestly can't believe you made that statement. Secondly why would you criss cross on a two on two? all that does is give the D more time, and the back checkers a better chance

Wow !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Criss cross in  hopes that both defenders will defend the same guy? no. that doesn't happen. ever. swinging both guys to one lane? that happens. creates a lane for a drop pass, and a screened shot. that works. I get that. Player A occupying the lane that player B was occupying, and player B occupying the lane that player A was occupying for the sake of doing it is downright stupid and doesn't happen in the NHL. If both defenders played the same guy, they wouldn't skate again for a long long time. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Hey Book

Bet you didn't think this was going to turn into a debate on the finer points of the ol criss crosser

Now on to your thread

I have always felt that there was a tendency to try and make a play but be careful that it's not at the expense of where you need to get back to.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Criss cross in  hopes that both defenders will defend the same guy? no. that doesn't happen. ever. swinging both guys to one lane? that happens. creates a lane for a drop pass, and a screened shot. that works. I get that. Player A occupying the lane that player B was occupying, and player B occupying the lane that player A was occupying for the sake of doing it is downright stupid and doesn't happen in the NHL. If both defenders played the same guy, they wouldn't skate again for a long long time. 

It happens all the time. Why is it guys ever get open if not for missed assignments? If 2 guys criss cross on a 2 on 2, the D needs to either not bite and hold their lanes or to switch off if one senses that the other is going to follow the puck. Don't ask a stupid question and then act like you've got all the answers. The whole idea is for a puck carrier to create a situation where 2 guys come after him. It happens countless times per game. Save the lessons for lttle brothers and people like that. You aren't going to teach me anything. Many people can. You aren't one of them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

Hey Book

Bet you didn't think this was going to turn into a debate on the finer points of the ol criss crosser

Now on to your thread

I have always felt that there was a tendency to try and make a play but be careful that it's not at the expense of where you need to get back to.

Last night was a pathetic display of the other end of the spectrum. Players all trying to be fancy (soft) with no regard for what will happen if the play doesn't work. I agree that the team needs to find that delicate balance between the two. Willing to make a mistake in order to try making something happen makes a lot of sense if the risk is worth the reward.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

European or North American Criss Cross ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

European or North American Criss Cross ?

Whichever one sang, "Sailing".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

Hey Book

Now on to your thread

I think that whole concept is magnified tenfold in four on four overtime....I cringe when I see a d-man come up with little regard for what happens should that offensive foray fail.......bing bang....odd man rush the other way...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

It happens all the time. Why is it guys ever get open if not for missed assignments? If 2 guys criss cross on a 2 on 2, the D needs to either not bite and hold their lanes or to switch off if one senses that the other is going to follow the puck. Don't ask a stupid question and then act like you've got all the answers. The whole idea is for a puck carrier to create a situation where 2 guys come after him. It happens countless times per game. Save the lessons for lttle brothers and people like that. You aren't going to teach me anything. Many people can. You aren't one of them.

Sure it happens all the time in a game. When two guys occupy the same lane. they make a drop pass and it opens up a little space. Or in the corner, in a really tight area. That happens all the time and works. but if two forwards are skating up ice against two defenders and they want to criss cross in the neutral zone, or at the tops of the circles or whatever, the two d men are going to just stay in their lanes, adjust for gap control a smidge, and say, thanks for making it easier for us. i guess if you have an absurdly explosive skater, and a d man who typically gets too tight on his gap control maybe it could cause problems then? Maybe it creates a weird screen for the goalie, but the d men aren't going to both skate to the puck carrier. they stay in their lines. it doesn't happen. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Exactly what happens when someone splits the D? I've seen 2 D-men collide in attempting to play the same man.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

That's just awful.  Awful, awful, awful.

And now it is stuck in my head.

Pure misery.

I agree that creativity is severly lacking on this team.  Last night vs. the Panthers, I watched Nash a lot.  On one play, he was in the corner with (fill in bonehead playing D for Florida) on him.  He dished it to a close teammate, curled around the bonehead got the puck back and had a great chance.

When was the last time you saw a Bruin curl and...do anything?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

When was the last time you saw a Bruin curl and...do anything? :Savard-  But not to beat that deads horse again

Watched Game 3 SCF against Canucks again last week. I was amazed at how fast they exited their own zone at times. As some of you were saying-"quick short passes or cross ice passes that were crisp and on the tape. A chance for Canucks or save by Thomas was then turned up ice heading for Luongo in seconds. I have not seen that in a long time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

That's just awful.  Awful, awful, awful.

And now it is stuck in my head.

Pure misery.

I agree that creativity is severly lacking on this team.  Last night vs. the Panthers, I watched Nash a lot.  On one play, he was in the corner with (fill in bonehead playing D for Florida) on him.  He dished it to a close teammate, curled around the bonehead got the puck back and had a great chance.

When was the last time you saw a Bruin curl and...do anything?

I suppose you're probably more of an Air Supply man.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Well Book, I will say this, the analysis is correct except Jagr is a load on skates, so when he goes east and west the ice tilts.  Seguin and Marchand are not the same type.  Though I sincerely dislike giving Fletch any thought of being correct, he is correct as well.  My only analytical response to his stance on meaningless games is when do the Bs start playing as a functioning team again?  Your analysis then takes precedent.  Back in the day the last ten games were the tune up for the playoffs.  I guess with the 48 game schedule it is rest by committee.  Oddly enough I am not worried about the other teams Boston plays, I am worried about how Boston plays ie. Shades of Washington circa 2012.  So excellent analysis, let us hope Fletch is correct. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

With respect to the cycle:

To me, it often looks like they are trying far too hard to try to create the high-percentage shot.  I know that the drunken idiot in the stands yelling "shoot the puck!" the whole game is ... well, a drunken idiot; but he may be right for them.  Sometimes at least.  Shoot the puck and sort out the rebound.  If - horror beyond horrors - the other team should get the puck, treat it as an opportunity to force a turn-over and get a scoring chance where the other team's defense isn't set, and perhaps less of a chance to get a line change.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Secondly why would you criss cross on a two on two?

Wow !

Oh yes it can be stated, only on BDC.

"Everybody, JUMP JUMP! Mack Daddy will make yah..."

I'm gonna put my pants on backwards now.