Analytical Observations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Analytical Observations

DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT

Obviously Fletcher is a cornerstone here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

You forgot fletch. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

I hesitate to even mention their lack of smooth transition from the defensive zone as its so obvious. But how often do you see a 40ft transition pass from the Bruins D-man carom helplessly off of the forwards stick either into the offensive zone or directly onto the d-man's stick? I wonder how many times I've heard myself saying, "Wow, (that Bruin) has sick hands." Not nearly enough. We don't have a lot of "that kind of forward".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

I hesitate to even mention their lack of smooth transition from the defensive zone. But how often do you see a 40ft transition pass from the Bruins D-man carom helplessly off of the forwards stick either into the offensive zone or directly onto the d-man's stick? I wonder how many times I've heard myself saying, "Wow, (that Bruin) has sick hands."

A lot of passes in today's NHL are set up  to be exactly that.  The forward will post up at the red or opposing blue line and look for a tip into the zone.  It's usually on line changes, but not always. 

The practice is awful, but then again there are a lot of practices I dislike in today's NHL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

I hesitate to even mention their lack of smooth transition from the defensive zone. But how often do you see a 40ft transition pass from the Bruins D-man carom helplessly off of the forwards stick either into the offensive zone or directly onto the d-man's stick? I wonder how many times I've heard myself saying, "Wow, (that Bruin) has sick hands."

A lot of passes in today's NHL are set up  to be exactly that.  The forward will post up at the red or opposing blue line and look for a tip into the zone.  It's usually on line changes, but not always. 

The practice is awful, but then again there are a lot of practices I dislike in today's NHL.

Oh no, not what I mean, not the dump-in variety. I mean the transitional kind.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

Well Book, I will say this, the analysis is correct except Jagr is a load on skates, so when he goes east and west the ice tilts.  Seguin and Marchand are not the same type.  Though I sincerely dislike giving Fletch any thought of being correct, he is correct as well.  My only analytical response to his stance on meaningless games is when do the Bs start playing as a functioning team again?  Your analysis then takes precedent.  Back in the day the last ten games were the tune up for the playoffs.  I guess with the 48 game schedule it is rest by committee.  Oddly enough I am not worried about the other teams Boston plays, I am worried about how Boston plays ie. Shades of Washington circa 2012.  So excellent analysis, let us hope Fletch is correct. 

Not really.  They're still "supposed" to be.  The reality though, is that there are plenty of examples of teams not playing well in those last 10 games, having success in the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

With respect to the cycle:

To me, it often looks like they are trying far too hard to try to create the high-percentage shot.  I know that the drunken idiot in the stands yelling "shoot the puck!" the whole game is ... well, a drunken idiot; but he may be right for them.  Sometimes at least.  Shoot the puck and sort out the rebound.  If - horror beyond horrors - the other team should get the puck, treat it as an opportunity to force a turn-over and get a scoring chance where the other team's defense isn't set, and perhaps less of a chance to get a line change.

We've witnessed a fair amount of goals scored against the B's lately....being rebounds, and garbage from net front presence.  There hasn't been enough of that from our team recently 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Using that Vancouver example, I see part of the problem, as being not enough, north/south..  Seeing way too many 2 on 2's and 2 on 3's.  Agree a lot of it's mental, and this really shows up when the puck's in the offensive end.  Confidence and swagger really take over there.  The transisition seems to have slowed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

At least you'd have to work hard to fit Lady in Red on a hockey foru...waitaminnit. 

You will now hear Criss Cross every time red posts.

might as well run with it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

You forgot RWTK for starters.  

Ouch!!!

Harsh, round 3!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Sweet Jeebus!  red just won the internet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to red75's comment:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

At least you'd have to work hard to fit Lady in Red on a hockey foru...waitaminnit. 

You will now hear Criss Cross every time red posts.

might as well run with it.

I watched the 1980 video of this song last night.  gotta love the double guitar.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

You criss cross on a 2 on 2 in the hopes that the D both attempt to defend the same guy.

Thank You Dez! I'm just going thru this thread now & was hoping someone answered it quickly.  There's also another reason. Depending on who's defending you also want to try & gain speed on the weaker side. One D-man may have trouble adjusting going left to right, or viceversa. And to help this guy understand how criss crossing can work here's a video of it done to a T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imK8tKFvGUM

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

1.  Shupe, you'll always be invited...unless I'm drinking with a chick who likes chicks, just in case enough booze will allow her (and her) to switch hit for the night.

2.  Book, the Candyman statement cracked me right up.

3.  Lady in Red...it's getting worse and worse here.

4.  I'm a teetotaler, but would buy my friends here a beer without thinking twice.

5.  Fire Julien, nite is off his rocker, ignore half the people, think twice about responding to people with under 100 posts, war sucks, never do your own laundry when a woman lives with you, Slap Shot 2 never should have been considered let alone made, gas prices are stupid, coffee is God's way of showing that he loves you ever day, NHL '13 is way more fun on rookie, insurance rates are too high, hunting to eat is okay but hunting for sport is not (fishing not included), and finally, without Shupe, Kel, Book, Chowda, Nite, Isla, San, Dez, Red, RHO, JMW, Bhab, BSL, 50below and a few others, this place wouldn't be nearly as fun, interesting, or knowledgable as it is.  (And don't be all bent out of shape if I didn't mention you there.  It was done quickly with my coffee cup half full.  If you think I should have included you, you're right.  Feel free to quote this very message and insert your name where Book's name is.  That was just a charity inclusion anyway.)

6.  The season has been short and it's been full of a lot of ups and downs, but the boys are playoff bound again.  First round exit or Cup, all that's left is the watchin'.

You're the 4th person to say that to me this week & it's only Thurs. My self esteem is taking a huge hit here.  You hurt my feeling Nas. Yes I said feeling! lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

1.  Shupe, you'll always be invited...unless I'm drinking with a chick who likes chicks, just in case enough booze will allow her (and her) to switch hit for the night.

4.  I'm a teetotaler, but would buy my friends here a beer without thinking twice.

5.  Fire Julien, nite is off his rocker, ignore half the people, think twice about responding to people with under 100 posts, war sucks, never do your own laundry when a woman lives with you, Slap Shot 2 never should have been considered let alone made, gas prices are stupid, coffee is God's way of showing that he loves you ever day, NHL '13 is way more fun on rookie, insurance rates are too high, hunting to eat is okay but hunting for sport is not (fishing not included), and finally, without Shupe, Kel, Book, Chowda, Nite, Isla, San, Dez, Red, RHO, JMW, Bhab, BSL, 50below and a few others, this place wouldn't be nearly as fun, interesting, or knowledgable as it is.  (And don't be all bent out of shape if I didn't mention you there.  It was done quickly with my coffee cup half full.  If you think I should have included you, you're right.  Feel free to quote this very message and insert your name where Book's name is.  That was just a charity inclusion anyway.)

6.  The season has been short and it's been full of a lot of ups and downs, but the boys are playoff bound again.  First round exit or Cup, all that's left is the watchin'.

LMAO! Dam I have a comebock for that, but Red may get offended. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Yup that was a  random thought of logic, though I distinctly remember Bs teams in the 80s gearing up the last ten games.  One thing about using stats, is there are more stats to disprove.  Then one has to create metrics to either prove or disapprove the "last ten game phenomena".  Then once proven then there is the counter intuitiveness to disapprove the hypothesis.  Enough of that..... 

The real strength of my thoughts was that a team must find its collective play before the playoffs.  I my observations I think Book is correct in that the Bs team needs to find some type of "chaos theory" in their offense.  They are particularly definable and systematically predictable.  I also noted that Fletch could be correct in that the Bs will find their Mojo and be successful in the playoffs, like Eastern Conference finals.  My thinking though remains centered on the Washington series last year, as stated above and in other threads, Washington did "Homer's" defensive system on the Bs.  They won the series.  Now, for this fan a pattern futility offensively will raise it's ugly head once again somewhere down the road.  CJ's system has been discovered in other words.  

So I hope my fears are checked, I hope my aspirations will ring true with another Cup.  If that is not satisfactory logic, well, "excuse me while I kiss the sky".  Cheers.  

In response to stevegm's comment:

Well Book, I will say this, the analysis is correct except Jagr is a load on skates, so when he goes east and west the ice tilts.  Seguin and Marchand are not the same type.  Though I sincerely dislike giving Fletch any thought of being correct, he is correct as well.  My only analytical response to his stance on meaningless games is when do the Bs start playing as a functioning team again?  Your analysis then takes precedent.  Back in the day the last ten games were the tune up for the playoffs.  I guess with the 48 game schedule it is rest by committee.  Oddly enough I am not worried about the other teams Boston plays, I am worried about how Boston plays ie. Shades of Washington circa 2012.  So excellent analysis, let us hope Fletch is correct. 

Not really.  They're still "supposed" to be.  The reality though, is that there are plenty of examples of teams not playing well in those last 10 games, having success in the playoffs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Now 'shop in shupe's skating clown avatar over DeNiro.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dirt Clod Jams. Show Dirt Clod Jams's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Shut up, moron.

No, I am one who thinks the problem is more mental than physical, and is result of mental fatigue more than physical fatigue.  I don't know if that's better or worse.

The veterans make the playoffs every year now, and they've been around the block, so I just think it is ineviatable that they are not mentally engaged after clinching a playoff spot and then playing out this tiresome regular season schedule.  

On top of that, I don't think there is any sense that winning a game against the Flyers makes their playoff chances better or worse.  What's more, I think the bombings did have an effect on these guys.  It has been very distracting.  It has to be hard to pretend that the hockey is so important right now.  I don't think the pre-game ceremonies help either.  All these heartfelt messages of unity and comradery don't exactly lend themselves to the Big-Bad-Bruin mentality.  I don't think these guys can be re-inspired by another regular season game against Tampa bay either.  I think this will continue through the last game, and I think they should try out younger bodies at this point and rest some guys for the playoffs.

Do I think they will be able to flip the switch to better playoff intensity and execution?  I don't know.  But I won't bet against guys like Bergeron and Chara raising their game and leading everyone else to do the same.  Lucic could turn the corner and score in bunches.  Seguin could seize the moment.  The goalies still look very good to me.  The team is pretty healthy.  I think there is a decent chance that they come back from their current mental vacation, and take on the playoffs with a vengeance.  From energy comes improved execution and confidence, and maybe it all builds to something formidible.  Maybe not...

Is that a serious comment?  Do we need go over the basics of playoff seeding or do you think the Bruins don't care who they play/have home ice against?  

Sorry to pick that out, but it's just the wrong attitude if you're the Bruins.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Dirt Clod Jams' comment:

Is that a serious comment?  Do we need go over the basics of playoff seeding or do you think the Bruins don't care who they play/have home ice against?  

Yes, serious comment, or as serious as you can be here.  I'm not saying that it is the "right attitude", but clearly there is a reason they look so lethargic and unengaged recently, and that's my best guess as to why.  

These guys have made the playoffs every year for a little while now.  They know that every series will be a battle, and just because one team has two more points than another team, doesn't mean they'll be an easier opponent.  Note the Kings winning the Cup last year from the 8 seed.  I think the playoffs will get these guys inspired but I don't think that the possible last week manuevering in the standings has them fired up.  If you disagree, why don't they look fired up?

I think I am commenting on what they are right now, and you're commenting on what you'd like them to be.  Would I like to see them playing desperately against the Flyers to get the extra points?  Sure.  But I don't think they are.  

You can "go over the basics of playoff seeding" if you want to, but I don't think it matters as much as you think.  I don't think the players do either.  How come nobody wants to play the Rangers?  They might be an 8 seed?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dirt Clod Jams. Show Dirt Clod Jams's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In response to Dirt Clod Jams' comment:

Yes, serious comment, or as serious as you can be here.  I'm not saying that it is the "right attitude", but clearly there is a reason they look so lethargic and unengaged recently, and that's my best guess as to why.  

These guys have made the playoffs every year for a little while now.  They know that every series will be a battle, and just because one team has two more points than another team, doesn't mean they'll be an easier opponent.  Note the Kings winning the Cup last year from the 8 seed.  I think the playoffs will get these guys inspired but I don't think that the possible last week manuevering in the standings has them fired up.  If you disagree, why don't they look fired up?

I think I am commenting on what they are right now, and you're commenting on what you'd like them to be.  Would I like to see them playing desperately against the Flyers to get the extra points?  Sure.  But I don't think they are.  

You can "go over the basics of playoff seeding" if you want to, but I don't think it matters as much as you think.  I don't think the players do either.  How come nobody wants to play the Rangers?  They might be an 8 seed?

The "go over basics of playoff seeding" was an attempt at sarcasm, maybe it was missed.  They do look lethargic, and its not because they are saving energy for the Playoffs, they're just in a rut and may not come out of it.  To think they've been hiding an extra gear for the last month or two is insane.  We all know they have more to give but they can't seem to find it.

I agree having two more points may not give you an easier opponent but it does give you home ice in later rounds, which I assume the Bruins want given their Home record is better and they want to advance.

The reason people don't want to play the Rangers is because of Lundquist.  What other playoff goalie in the East would you rather play? The answer should be all of them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

man marchand is really awesome. 4 years at 4.5 is such a steal for this guy. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

LMAO! Dam I have a comebock for that, but Red may get offended. 

aside from cherry's suits, very little offends me.

and nas, that was one of your all time great posts.

and book, the problem is that every time i see one of my posts now i think of that damn song. i doubt that avie will last.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

and nas, if it was maestro dobel or don julio, there's a hope.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Giving Fletcher credit for being right is is about the equivalent of giving Mao credit as the Humanitarian of the Year. An outrageous lack of judgment on the part of the Isla.

Or nominating Jack Edwards for the Foster Hewitt Memorial Award.

Sections
Shortcuts