and he died by the sword , Emelin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

and he died by the sword , Emelin

Habs announce Emelin is out for the season with a torn ligament in his left knee.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Re: and he died by the sword , Emelin

Too bad, so sad. Not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Instant karma is gonna get you - gonna knock you right off your feet

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

You know BsL i used that exact same term on a TSN thread, you play like Emelin does and he has been accused of "running" at players by other teams, then you have to pay the piper when something goes wrong. Emelin picked the wrong bull to play matador. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I missed that play when it happened live, and somehow never caught the replay, until now.

Holy smokes did he go flying.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

I missed that play when it happened live, and somehow never caught the replay, until now.

Holy smokes did he go flying.

He left his feet trying to hurt Lucic.   well said by Haggs

Joe Haggerty @HackswithHaggs1m

Bottom line w/Alexei Emelin: he left his skates to execute flying hit on Milan Lucic. Hurt his knee when he didn't stick the landing. Karma

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Makes the Davis Drewiske acquisition (and he has looked very good in his short time in MTL) that much more important, as most of the callups aren't very physical. MTL will be hurt by the injury, but not as much as if they'd ha not made that acquisition. Drewiske will never be the best player on the ice, but he seems to ably fill his role on the defense and cushion the blow of Emelin's injury.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Joe Haggerty @HackswithHaggs1m

Bottom line w/Alexei Emelin: he left his skates to execute flying hit on Milan Lucic. Hurt his knee when he didn't stick the landing. Karma

Just read this and was going to paste the same tweet.  Not a big Haggs fan, but this is about the way I feel.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

You know BsL i used that exact same term on a TSN thread, you play like Emelin does and he has been accused of "running" at players by other teams, then you have to pay the piper when something goes wrong. Emelin picked the wrong bull to play matador. 

Why do you think Evander Kane went after him and Emelin still didn't learn !

You know who's next for jumping to hit ?  PK Subban , he better be careful because he'll get hurt also.  Did you see him on Schenn ? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Kennedy97's comment:

Makes the Davis Drewiske acquisition (and he has looked very good in his short time in MTL) that much more important, as most of the callups aren't very physical. MTL will be hurt by the injury, but not as much as if they'd ha not made that acquisition. Drewiske will never be the best player on the ice, but he seems to ably fill his role on the defense and cushion the blow of Emelin's injury.

I haven't watched enough of the Habs to tell if Emelin was all that good.  Is this really even a big loss for them?  He didn't seem to stand out to me, except in that Konstantinov kind of way...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The guy hits hard, but isn't that dirty of a player.  It's a tough loss for the Habs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I haven't watched enough of the Habs to tell if Emelin was all that good.  Is this really even a big loss for them?  He didn't seem to stand out to me, except in that Konstantinov kind of way...

He's played well: physical, will hit (which has really been a problem with the team as we all know over the last few years), and despite his reputation isn't the filthy kind of player that pom-pom wavers like Haggerty would have you believe (he's by no means an angel, either). With Diaz and Emelin out, it would have fallen on Tinordi and Beaulieu to fill the gap. One rookie is fine, but I wouldn't have wanted to go with two. And Tinordi is physical but really isn't ready for a major NHL role yet; Drewiske (at least based on early indicators) is.

The Habs D as a unit is, as I'm sure you've noticed, a lot better. Emelin was part of that improvement to be sure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Leaving your feet to make a hit is illegal, not tough and a punk move. Emelin got what he deserved and allot of fans around the league are smiling about it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Leaving your feet to make a hit is illegal, not tough and a punk move. Emelin got what he deserved and allot of fans around the league are smiling about it.

I'd be more than happy to call out Emelin (or any other player on the Habs) if I believed this, but I don't. His skates looked on the ice from this look at it. It appears to me that his feet went off the ice on the follow through...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/06/video-habs-emelin-knocked-out-of-game-after-lucic-hit/

I think the bigger mistake was trying to line up Lucic in the first place. Not many win a physical battle with him.

Since this is a Habs thread, in other news, Rene Bourque, who was excellent for the team before his concussion, appears to be back and is reported to be in the lineup vs. Washington tomorrow.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

He's played well: physical, will hit (which has really been a problem with the team as we all know over the last few years), and despite his reputation isn't the filthy kind of player that pom-pom wavers like Haggerty would have you believe (he's by no means an angel, either). With Diaz and Emelin out, it would have fallen on Tinordi and Beaulieu to fill the gap. One rookie is fine, but I wouldn't have wanted to go with two. And Tinordi is physical but really isn't ready for a major NHL role yet; Drewiske (at least based on early indicators) is.

The Habs D as a unit is, as I'm sure you've noticed, a lot better. Emelin was part of that improvement to be sure.

Habs def is just good.  Mobile, hits, pp anchors.  They are very solid.  I dont like emelin but dont wish injury on anyone.  Unless its cooke.  Last time we wished or were happy for crosby we lost bergie.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Habs def is just good.  Mobile, hits, pp anchors.  They are very solid.  I dont like emelin but dont wish injury on anyone.  Unless its cooke.  Last time we wished or were happy for crosby we lost bergie.

I don't expect anyone here to "like" Emelin necessarily, but the criticism of him seems to put him in Cooke/Rafi Torres territory, and I think that's well beyond reality.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I don't expect anyone here to "like" Emelin necessarily, but the criticism of him seems to put him in Cooke/Rafi Torres territory, and I think that's well beyond reality.

No just Kasperitis territory.  Sure he can hit hard but he there's a fine line that he like to cross and that's what he tried to do on Lucic. He left his feet .

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

No just Kasperitis territory.  Sure he can hit hard but he there's a fine line that he like to cross and that's what he tried to do on Lucic. He left his feet .

Thats how i see it too, not necessarily a dirty player but i think he crosses the line quite a bit. But when you cross the line you better be prepared to get hit by an oncoming truck and thats what happened.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

I'm not sure the evidence backs that up. It seems pretty evident freezing the picture on the video in the time just before contact that he's still in contact on the ice, and the feet leave the surface after contact. In addition Arpon Basu posted this picture of it that appears to back that up:

https://twitter.com/ArponBasu/status/321297151151968256/photo/1

I wouldn't take up for the guy if I thought he left his feet--fair is fair. I've been more than happy to call out Habs players when applicable: Subban for diving, Lapierre for being an overall delta-bravo, Latendresse for being soft, etc etc. I defended Chara from the ludicrous "he meant to injure Pacioretty" element. But I don't think you have it right on Emelin here: I don't believe the play was dirty, and I don't think it would have been illegal had he actually succeeded in throwing the big check (unless the puck was long gone--I wasn't watching for that).

That said, I don't expect to change your mind, so I've said my peace on it and won't go back and forth, as I'm sure you still don't agree! Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Cooke/Rafi Torres territory"

No you are right I would not put him there for sure.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

You're right we won't go back and forth because the angle of that video you cannot prove the exact point of contact.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

You're right we won't go back and forth because the angle of that picture you cannot prove the exact point of contact.

No, agreed...I was looking at the video AND the picture. A still shot by itself of an event like that wouldn't prove anything.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

No, agreed...I was looking at the video AND the picture. A still shot by itself of an event like that wouldn't prove anything.

because we can look at this picture

https://twitter.com/PezDOY/status/321294452759068672/photo/1 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Looks like he left his feet to me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

YAHTZEE!!!!