and people think jack edwards is a homer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: and people think jack edwards is a homer

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Bob fu*king Cole.....it is embarrasing.

Sens get no love...

Cole is a buffoon, that old fool can't remember half the players names. Just a complete Habs homer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Bob fu*king Cole.....it is embarrasing.

Sens get no love...

Cole= buffoon

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

C'mon, Cole is mostly just old. He was past his prime 20 years ago. He makes Gino Cappelletti (ex-Pat's announcer for you northerners) sound downright razor sharp. 

Ever notice how the refs are always totally 100% for the team you are playing against in a playoff series?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:

C'mon, Cole is mostly just old. He was past his prime 20 years ago. He makes Gino Cappelletti (ex-Pat's announcer for you northerners) sound downright razor sharp. 

Ever notice how the refs are always totally 100% for the team you are playing against in a playoff series?

You're right, seo.  Which is why CBC reduced his workload some years ago and increased the eastern broadcasts of Hughson and Simpson. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Despite his age and obvious bias Cole is still a legend in the hockey broadcasting world.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:

Despite his age and obvious bias Cole is still a legend in the hockey broadcasting world.

He is a legend but his time has past end of story. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

In response to Kennedy97's comment:

The idea that the Habs "get the calls" is folly--they get no more nor fewer breaks than any other team.

The stats seem to indicate otherwise...

The "stats" indicate which penalties are good calls and which aren't? They don't this year, and they didn't in the past and recently, as in the one of the seasons in the last 2 years (I forget if it was 2010-11, or 11-12), the Habs were shorthanded more than any other NHL team--and as someone who saw just about every game, I'd tell you that they probably deserved to be, given the guys who were getting penalties (slow / lazy ones) and the types of calls they received (tripping, hooking, obstruction, all caused by being beaten).

You were dead wrong about last night--there was no Habs PP over the last 15 minutes, but there was an even-up call that negated a potential Habs PP and the Habs had a goal disallowed. Now, like I said previously, I don't have a problem with either call, especially the no-goal, which was spot-on. But had the refs been favouring the Habs (like you said they are), they had 2 golden opportunities at the Bell Center to influence the game. They didn't.  And if you would take off your "Jack Edwards-Brand Homerific Rec-Specs" for a second, you'd be more likely to understand that the idea of the Habs in the 21st century being treated better or worse by the officials and league than other teams is simply paranoia.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

ya, no. it was ridiculous. "cammaller is doing pretty well with the tough guy from boston." he said stuff to that effect like 8 times

It is ridiculous, but it isn't Habs bias. He simply didn't know what was going on and was ad libbing in the moment because it's his job to comment. He's not looking to paint the Bruins players in a negative light: he was caught unawares, which is likely due to the fact that he's in his 80s and he clearly isn't as mentally sharp as he once was. It's not something that is supposed to happen with a national-level broadcaster, and it didn't used to happen to Cole much at all when he was calling, say, Wendel Clark and Doug Gilmour's Leafs team 20 years ago. But it's commonplace now.

If you watch a lot of Cole's games you'd see it happen a lot. I really think a lot of the guy: his body of work is almost unparalleled in hockey. In Canada, he's this generation's Foster Hewitt. But that said (and I think the Gino Capelletti reference is 100% on target) I wish he'd ride into the sunset, because right now he akin to watching Willy Mays play for the NY Mets, or Namath with the Rams.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's pathetic when people suggest that the refs calls games in Montreal's favor.  "But NAS, they have the most powerplays of anyone!"  Yeah, so what?  Someone has to have the most, right?  (Sure two teams could be tied, but you know what I'm saying.)  Just because it's the team you cannot stand, it doesn't mean there is a bias.  If Dallas had the most powerplay opportunities, would that mean there is a Dallas bias?

The amount of crying about the refs around here is amazing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I'm watching the habs on CNBC. i recognize the voice from CBC, but don't know the name. This guy might as well say "go habs go" every couple of minutes to remind the audience of his allegence 

Forty years of announcing games ( many Stanley cup finals and International hockey ) and you don't know his name ?

Rookie !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I don't watch a ton of CBC, and I'm relatively young. 

NAS- the stats are useless, a lot of them drawing a lot of penalties is just because they have great team speed, simple as that. However. Eyeball test says otherwise. Prust jams his stick down Anderson's throat, the ref sees it, but doesn't call it. Couple hack jobs not called, but called the other way. The Gryba hit. That's a 2, maybe. 5 is unbelievable. game is more unbelievable. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

NAS- the stats are useless, a lot of them drawing a lot of penalties is just because they have great team speed, simple as that. However. Eyeball test says otherwise. Prust jams his stick down Anderson's throat, the ref sees it, but doesn't call it. Couple hack jobs not called, but called the other way. The Gryba hit. That's a 2, maybe. 5 is unbelievable. game is more unbelievable. 

In the moment watching from home on that hit i thought it was bad.  The amount of blood and the fact the player is seriously injured also factors in. These refs dont have instant slow motion replay.  I was fine with the call at the time.  Its the wrong call but in that moment i understand why.   Just change players and make lars bergie.  The outcry on here would be outstanding.  

Prust was a penalty that didnt get called.  I agree.  i thought those refs were pretty bad last night.  But i definitely dont think they are RWTK biased.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Prust was a penalty that didnt get called.  I agree.  i thought those refs were pretty bad last night.  But i definitely dont think they are RWTK biased.  

Ouch!!!

Harsh...round ? (Ahhh....I've lost count)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Ferrence gets suspended for an elbow to Grabovski's head.  I saw it happen live.

No call.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Couple hack jobs not called, but called the other way. The Gryba hit. That's a 2, maybe. 5 is unbelievable. game is more unbelievable. 

So you're saying that not everything that could have been called a penalty was called in an NHL playoff game. Welcome to watching hockey. I have 2 questions for you:

1) You seem to be implying that the refs looked to help Montreal win. If so, can you explain why the officials then disallowed a goal and called an embellishment minor on a play that would have given the Habs a PP?  As mentioned, while I have no problem with either call, those were clear chances the officials had to influence the game in Montreal's favor--why didn't the officials act in Montreal's favour?

2) As for the call on the Gryba hit, do you assume that if Kyle Turris had been similarly flattened and there was an expanding pool of blood under his head that the call would have been different (2 minutes)? And if so, what are you basing this on?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

Kennedy, I've been watching Bob Cole for 40+ years and to suggest he is not a homer (Habs and Leafs) is ridiulous in my opinion. Just listen to his intonation when there's a scoring chance for them as opossed to the opponent. 

He is brutal, a play by play guy who doesn't know any away team names, mistake after mistake, retire already.

And then there's Glen Healey what a wind bag.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to OrrandPapiRGods' comment:

Kennedy, I've been watching Bob Cole for 40+ years and to suggest he is not a homer (Habs and Leafs) is ridiulous in my opinion. Just listen to his intonation when there's a scoring chance for them as opossed to the opponent. 

He is brutal, a play by play guy who doesn't know any away team names, mistake after mistake, retire already.

He's all Canada all the time. Good for him.  Have us Bostonians already fogotten Johnny Most, the biggest homer in the history of sports broadcasting?

And while we're on the subject of old announcers, I have to give a shoutout (even though not hockey) to probably the best announcer of all time. Watched a few Dodgers games recently and am utterly amazed at the 85 year old Vin Scully...still calls the entire game by himself, gets all the names right, knows his stuff, still has good eyes, and has simply the best broadcasting voice I've ever heard. Truly amazing.

...and yes, Healy is a windbag who loves nothing more than to hear himself talk.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I like when they chant "Potvin sucks" at Madison Square.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The call on Gryba was wrong, but understandable.  I don't think it was bias, but rather such a quick play and such a violent outcome that the ref was compelled to react.  I didn't realize until the I saw the replay that the hit was clean.

But that was exactly what was annoying about Cole.  They showed the hit twice on replay and then he said that Gryba was guilty of getting just the head and not the body.  I thought I was hallucinating.  Cole seemed to form an opinion that it was a dirty head shot and then stuck with it, replay be damned.

I don't think that the refs have any intentional bias for any team, and I think they are very fair.  But...I'm never more worried about the calls than when playing in the Forum/Bell Centre, expecially in the playoffs.  I don't think there is any inent on the refs part at all, but in my opinion, there is no time that they are more influenced by their surroundings than in Montreal.  

You can give credit to the Montreal fans for that rabid atmosphere, but I also think that the hysterical oooing, ahhhing, and gasping every time a Montreal player goes down factors into the equation.  They really do seem more reactionary than other fans and if you're going to get away with a marginal trip against Montreal everyone hears the wailing of the crowd.  I think it has an impact.  I wish it didn't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

The call on Gryba was wrong, but understandable.  I don't think it was bias, but rather such a quick play and such a violent outcome that the ref was compelled to react.  I didn't realize until the I saw the replay that the hit was clean.

But that was exactly what was annoying about Cole.  They showed the hit twice on replay and then he said that Gryba was guilty of getting just the head and not the body.  I thought I was hallucinating.  Cole seemed to form an opinion that it was a dirty head shot and then stuck with it, replay be damned.

I don't think that the refs have any intentional bias for any team, and I think they are very fair.  But...I'm never more worried about the calls than when playing in the Forum/Bell Centre, expecially in the playoffs.  I don't think there is any inent on the refs part at all, but in my opinion, there is no time that they are more influenced by their surroundings than in Montreal.  

You can give credit to the Montreal fans for that rabid atmosphere, but I also think that the hysterical oooing, ahhhing, and gasping every time a Montreal player goes down factors into the equation.  They really do seem more reactionary than other fans and if you're going to get away with a marginal trip against Montreal everyone hears the wailing of the crowd.  I think it has an impact.  I wish it didn't.

Which is what i think happened in the "Chara/Movie reviewer" incident.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to OrrandPapiRGods' comment:

I didn't suggest he is "not a homer". I suggested that he is more a Leafs homer than anything else (as evidenced by the reality that many, many Montreal fans can't stand him, and weren't thrilled that he was on this series.) I also suggested that the calls people posted aren't of him trying to use prejorative terms to describe a Bruin, but exist because he isn't clear what is going on, as he's not as mentally sharp at his age (but the game is faster than ever).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

No he said "Cammelieri is doing good against Boston's tough guy"

In response to Kennedy97's comment:

I first noticed it back in the day when Cammalleri and Krejci fought and he described Krejci as "the bruins tough guy." and the "fighter from boston." didn't care to correct himself, as it was Krejci's first career fight. 

He said "the fighter from Boston" because there was a Boston player fighting. That's Cole's issue: he's not as quick as he used to be on players and names, so he will say something like that because he isn't sure who, exactly, is involved in the play, and he makes a generic statement (the fighter has to be a tough guy, right?). Heck, I've seen him forget Carey Price's name on multiple occasions.

He's an icon, but he's well past his prime.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to mattbs' comment:

No he said "Cammelieri is doing good against Boston's tough guy"

Correct....Cole has no clue. I think he got him confused with Koci which is even more pathertic considering Koci was never a Bruin.

Sections
Shortcuts