And the new Coach will be....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Re: And the new Coach will be....

Another idea is to ride out the season with CJ or an interim and try and get a good assistant on another team in the off-season.  Ex:  Kirk Muller.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

Give up on Keenan already....I saying Hitchcock because at least he can run a boring system with success and this team is soft and needs a hardazz to give them some backbone. If they try to go all offense they will still sux because they are mostly wimps and don't have any real elite talent when you come right down to it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

In Response to Re: And the new Coach will be....:
    [QUOTE]This isn't 1978...who is Milbury going to tell to kick someone azz? Seidenberg? Krejci? Bergeron/ Nobody is going fight anybody. Milbury would be outclassed. To think we had Craig Ramsey and Laviolette and all we have is this boring product to watch
    Posted by nash99[/QUOTE]

Yeah your right it isn't '78 but I'm telling Milbury can COACH. He gets tagged as an idiot because of his GM record. He was a bad GM because he was too emotional and would pull the trigger too quickly. As a coach his passion would be a huge addition. He would cost squat to try it for the remainder of the year and see what comes out of it.
    Then at the end of the year if it didn't work we could pick up Bruce Boudreau after the Caps Russians tank another year in the playoffs and they can him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Scotty Bowman or Toe Blake is needed!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

If I had Cam Neely and Ray Bourque and I coached in the mediocre 1980's I would be coach of the year. Wake up. It's 2010!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: And the new Coach will be....:[QUOTE]Batman. At least, if you think a coaching change will cure this team's ills, that's who it will need to be. Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Bingo as you said on another thread "If you think this team doesn't have problems you're nuts" cue judas Priest 'You've got another thing coming". The best way to shake up this team is some trades. I just assume dump some listless wingers and a Dman for nothing another "future considerations" transaction.

Jacobs eating Julien's contract just ain't going to happen. Better, younger, personnel is what this team needs. At least Caron, Sauve and Arniel will try harder than some of the wingers on this team. I'd rather see effort every night from youngsters than some comfortable veteran who could care less. Let some of the kids push the veteran's on this team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Teams are coached by commitee, including assistants, players, managers, presidents, owners, marketing types, and basically anyone on the team payroll.  About the only thing they do on their own, is take a bow when all is well, and bravely walk the plank, when all isn't.  They are constantly, hopelessly placed in the middle of more drama than the Kennedy's, and their career hinges on the self preservation instincts of the next guy up the chain, who clearly assembles the working pieces.

We've been lead to believe that coaches have a shelf life, and that may be true.  Rarely(not always) though, does a change show immediate success....and that's because they don't exert that singular level of influence most of us think they do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bob7468. Show Bob7468's posts

Hmmmm ... I wonder about Milbury, he does get to see an aweful lot of teams play so that may help.  Although I'd really like to Grapes come back.  It would at least be entertaining hockey.

Somewhat related to the topic.  Do you think that they are playing this way deliberately?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

As much as I think Mad Mike is a dipstick, I like the fact that he shows heart and says what he thinks/feels.  Might be the type of guy who could light a fire under this bunch because, lets face it, there is a ton of talent on the Bruins.  A TON!  All it needs is motivation. 

Im not saying there isnt someone better, but bringing in a Character like Mad Mike for the rest of the season to see what happens would be interesting.  It COULDNT get worse, thats for sure.  Ive said from day one, Julien was the guy for 1-2 seasons, thats it.  He runs an antiquated system that works for a little bit.  He got the Bruins going in the right direction, now we need a LEADER to get them to the finish.  Its that simple.

Putting Mad Mike in for the rest of this year might be a good kick in the pants and show the players that there are coaches who have emotion too.  Its painfully obvious Julien has no emotion and it rubs off on the players.  Chara, Ference, Thornton, Bergeron, Horton and Lucic ALL show a serious lack of emotion out there regularly.  I picture Julien as the coach who walks through the dressing room saying something like, "Lets go get'um guys", as he heads to his office and shuts the door.  He needs to go sooner rather than later.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

moogfan - Keenan's not the right guy for this team.  At least, not right now.  He's a high risk high reward guy who wears an entire organization out.  You bring him in as a jolt to the system then dump him before he burns through all of your talent - either alienating them, demanding they be traded, or playing them to the point of catastrophic injury.  He's two coaching changes away, IMHO.  Ted Nolan's a similar proposition: could be great, but could also be a huge distraction and a collossal mistake.  I don't think the players would know what hit them, and they'd sure have to play more physically, but I have doubts about the real results.

Dawg - the youth injection probably needs to be accompanied by a shift in philosophy that loosens things up.  Or at least tolerates more looseness in their play.  It's no good bringing those guys in and asking them to put all their exuberance into playing the system.  They have to learn the system, but you have to give them some leeway to make mistakes.  If I'm PC, I might have a little chat with Claude.  (Funny how everyone assumes PC is out of this equation - it's all about Neely kicking Claude to the curb).

On the other hand, the failure of the youth movement to really push for ice time is part of the problem.  Beginning of the year, all the talk was about who among the prospects was going to make Ryder expendable, Sturm expendable, Wheeler expendable, Recchi redundant, etc. etc.  Guys would have to continuously prove themselves or lose their spots to rooks.  Now...who would they even consider calling up? Probably Arniel.  Think Ryder's sitting at home today thinking boy, I better get my feet moving or I'll lose my job to Arniel? Nah.  Sauve's been injured, Colborne is -100, Hamill needs to be sent to Degobah so he can learn to use the Force, Spooner and Knight are juniors for the rest of the year. Caron had his shot and was...okay...but not productive.  Seguin has been okay.  Right now, he looks like he'll hit about 75% of what I'd have predicted (mid40s), which is still a reasonable start for a guy who's not 19 yet.

So - change the coach...in Providence first.  Rob Murray has yet to a)win consistently in the AHL, b) improve the performance of key players at the AHL level, c) provide contributing forwards to the NHL club.  Bring back Scott Gordon in Providence.  It probably either undermines or lights a fire under Julien.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

Here's the scenerio. It's all happened before with the Bruins. It's how Jacobs handles it. I think it was the 2005-2006 season

They'll keep the coach and GM and get rid of all their best players and any decent players left will be begging to find a new home.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

i tend to agree with the thought that Mr. Jacobs will not seek a new hire coach now. So the alternatives come down to Doug Jarvis, Houda and Ward are Julien clones; Don Sweeney; Cam the man; or even Peter. In addition the bruins must tell Recchi that he is done [ too slow, poor puck control]. They no longer need Thornton [ see kreji, Campbell, McQuaid] no more "staged" fights; Wish list includes setting up the following lines::  Bergeron/Caron/Seguin; Lucic/Savard/Wheeler;Arneil/Kreji/Horton; Marchand/Campbell/new player. The defense stays for now, Ryder or Paille fill the 13th man, loser is traded.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moogfan35. Show moogfan35's posts

[QUOTE]moogfan - Keenan's not the right guy for this team.  At least, not right now.  He's a high risk high reward guy who wears an entire organization out.  You bring him in as a jolt to the system then dump him before he burns through all of your talent - either alienating them, demanding they be traded, or playing them to the point of catastrophic injury.  He's two coaching changes away, IMHO.  Ted Nolan's a similar proposition: could be great, but could also be a huge distraction and a collossal mistake.  I don't think the players would know what hit them, and they'd sure have to play more physically, but I have doubts about the real results. Dawg - the youth injection probably needs to be accompanied by a shift in philosophy that loosens things up.  Or at least tolerates more looseness in their play.  It's no good bringing those guys in and asking them to put all their exuberance into playing the system.  They have to learn the system, but you have to give them some leeway to make mistakes.  If I'm PC, I might have a little chat with Claude.  (Funny how everyone assumes PC is out of this equation - it's all about Neely kicking Claude to the curb). On the other hand, the failure of the youth movement to really push for ice time is part of the problem.  Beginning of the year, all the talk was about who among the prospects was going to make Ryder expendable, Sturm expendable, Wheeler expendable, Recchi redundant, etc. etc.  Guys would have to continuously prove themselves or lose their spots to rooks.  Now...who would they even consider calling up? Probably Arniel.  Think Ryder's sitting at home today thinking boy, I better get my feet moving or I'll lose my job to Arniel? Nah.  Sauve's been injured, Colborne is -100, Hamill needs to be sent to Degobah so he can learn to use the Force, Spooner and Knight are juniors for the rest of the year. Caron had his shot and was...okay...but not productive.  Seguin has been okay.  Right now, he looks like he'll hit about 75% of what I'd have predicted (mid40s), which is still a reasonable start for a guy who's not 19 yet. So - change the coach...in Providence first.  Rob Murray has yet to a)win consistently in the AHL, b) improve the performance of key players at the AHL level, c) provide contributing forwards to the NHL club.  Bring back Scott Gordon in Providence.  It probably either undermines or lights a fire under Julien.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

BB, thats what I was thinking about on Keenan, a short term solution to jolt this team and find someone else after the season, your other thought would work to let these guys go out and play, they have a bunch of young guys with talent, that dont get to be creative because they are coached Defense first, let them run and gun for a few games see what happens, cant be any worst then the last 5 games

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: And the new Coach will be....:[QUOTE] So - change the coach...in Providence first.  Rob Murray has yet to a)win consistently in the AHL, b) improve the performance of key players at the AHL level, c) provide contributing forwards to the NHL club.  Bring back Scott Gordon in Providence.  It probably either undermines or lights a fire under Julien.

Oh the look on Julien's face if Gordon were hired in Providence. I do still believe that for some talent in the minors when you put them with NHL players they play better with better talent.

PS. Very funny that posters on here think that Neely has more say than Chiarelli whom now has no say comical.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

[QUOTE]I know I'll get shot for this but what about Mike Milbury? I seen an interview with very annoying but intelligent, Pierre McGuire. He said MIke would be one of his first coaching interviews if he was a GM. He claims mike is a very intelligent coach and motivator. He also said "just don't let him make trades"!! Mike is a very intense guy, i seen him on CBC when they played the Habs and he was so mad at Lapierre and Subban he wanted to kill them and said if he was coaching he'd tell his guys to get out there and kick there a$$e$. That is the emotion that Julien lacks and it filters all the way down to the players.Thoughts??
    Posted by savybergy77[/QUOTE]

I would loooooooove Milbury, one of the best coaches Bruins have had. You can tell, during NESN telecasts that he still has that "fire". He calls it as he sees it, love it!!! Bad GM, but terrific coach!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

I know it isn't 1978...so the systems are different today...when your face is smashed against the glass...the system will implode!
    Mike was a very good coach...people have short memories...he would do it just for a shot at PK the Habitant rump runner!

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: And the new Coach will be.... : Yeah your right it isn't '78 but I'm telling Milbury can COACH. He gets tagged as an idiot because of his GM record. He was a bad GM because he was too emotional and would pull the trigger too quickly. As a coach his passion would be a huge addition. He would cost squat to try it for the remainder of the year and see what comes out of it. Then at the end of the year if it didn't work we could pick up Bruce Boudreau after the Caps Russians tank another year in the playoffs and they can him.
    Posted by savybergy77[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Milbury was a great Bruins coach.  His winning % was over .600 and 1st place in the division for the two years he coached.  A final (loss to Edm in 90) and a CF loss to the Pens in 91.  Take a look at those teams.  After Neely and Janney up front your secondary scoring was (in 90-91) coming from the likes of Bob Sweeney, Ken Hodge Jr, Dave Christian and Dave Poulin.  Not exactly a great supporting cast.  The top 7 D that year were: Bourque, Wesley, Galley, Weimer, Sweeney, Quintal and Beers.  Actually the D look better back then than they do today.

In 1989-90 the forwards supporting Neely and Janney were an aging Bobby Carpenter, Bob Sweeney, Andy Brickely, John Carter, Christian, an aging Brian Propp, Poulin (also aging) and Randy Burridge.  I see allot of 3rd line grinders there.  The D that year were Bourque, Wesley, Hawgood, Sweeney, Galley, Pederson, Weimer, Quintal.  Again not bad but perhaps 1 top 4 guy short.

Considering the fact that ownership back then refused to go the extra mile and bring in better support for Bourque, Neely and Janney, Milbury did an above average job at getting the most he could out of this roster.  If luck was on the B's side (and a dynasty gets eliminated in an early round) a cup could have been...but no, that only seemed to happen in 86 (Oilers upset by Flames) and 93 (isles beat the Pens in 7) when the Habs went on their run with a hot goalie and an average team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

PS. Very funny that posters on here think that Neely has more say than Chiarelli whom now has no say comical.

I was thinking the same thing the other day and meant to bring it up..." Come on Cam, make the move" " Cam its like taking a pass from Janney"  etc.. Really funny posts.. The reason that Cam Neely is President of the Bruins is to place a known figure head on this franchise... What qualifications did he have for the job?  He has absolutely no clout in running day to day hockey Operations which fall under Chiarelli, Sweeney, Benning.. Neely just keeps the key to the executive washroom that's it.. I love Neely, but if people think this guy makes hockey decisions for the on ice product think again..Chiarelli is the guy.. Neely's  responsibilities would probably include scheduling the upcoming Bruins Christmas skate, ok ing the next Justin Bieber concert , finding somebody to fix the overflow of the toilets in the men's washroom etc.. I mean meanial jobs..

He also gets nice box seats to watch Bruins games so we can see him live and die with this team on a nightly basis :)  Gotta love Seabass!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mamico3308. Show mamico3308's posts

What about killing 2 birds with 1 stone.  Mark Recchi.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMightyJulien. Show TheMightyJulien's posts

The idea to get Keenan for a quick jolt is insane. i know exactly what would happen...the B's would get hot win the division and lose in the conference finals. everyone and their dog would want him back next year and it would turn into a $hiit mess by November.1 and you'd gladly accept the mighty julien back. I think Hitchcock is a good replacement, similar style with much more backbone so it wouldn't take long to get used to him. plus he's the best looking coach in the league.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mamico3308. Show mamico3308's posts

A potential problem with Recchi is the cap.  Correct me if I'm wrong, and with the cap rules I usually am, but with an over 35 contract wouldn't his cap hit still be there?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The 35+ rule applies to second year or later of multi year contracts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco1001. Show marco1001's posts

[QUOTE]Batman. At least, if you think a coaching change will cure this team's ills, that's who it will need to be.

cure is a strong word. how about treat!. it worked for pitt when they fired Therrien with Blysma, for philly when they fired stevens and hired laviolette. Why can't a coaching change ignite this team .

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: And the new Coach will be.... : Bingo as you said on another thread "If you think this team doesn't have problems you're nuts" cue judas Priest 'You've got another thing coming". The best way to shake up this team is some trades. I just assume dump some listless wingers and a Dman for nothing another "future considerations" transaction. Jacobs eating Julien's contract just ain't going to happen. Better, younger, personnel is what this team needs. At least Caron, Sauve and Arniel will try harder than some of the wingers on this team. I'd rather see effort every night from youngsters than some comfortable veteran who could care less. Let some of the kids push the veteran's on this team.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

right on target SanDog!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylequinn. Show kylequinn's posts

Bring Back Steve Casper ..... LOL...Ahhhh gotta have a laugh every now and then

Sections
Shortcuts