And the Winner of the 2013 Norris Trophy is.....Cedfano Chara!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

And the Winner of the 2013 Norris Trophy is.....Cedfano Chara!!!

Well, not yet but this article has him as the lead contender so far:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=659466&navid=nhl:topheads

Very compelling argmuent to be sure. That said, with Karlsson winning last season as the template, I can see Letang winning by virtue of strong offensive numers, minutes played, and competent defence.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: And the Winner of the 2013 Norris Trophy is.....Cedfano Chara!!!

Hard to argue that Letang shouldn't get some consideration.  When was the last time a defenseman finished the year at better than a point/game?  I mean, no, that can't be the whole ball of wax, and yes, you have to wonder how many of those points are the result of being able to make a short pass to Crosby or Malkin who then goes end to end and either scores or makes a pass to Benn or Kunitz.  But most amazingly, most of Letang's points have come 5 on 5 - 20 of 26.  He's not the defensive force that Chara is, but credit where it's due - Letang deserves consideration regardless of Karlsson's winning last year.

Chara's point totals aren't even in the same hemisphere, and he's having a terrible PP year.  1-0-1.  One point, for a guy with that Howitzer.  Hamilton has 4 points on the PP, but no other D has a sniff.  The last few years, Chara has been 8-10-18, 8-7-15, 4-12-16...then in Savard's last healthy year, he was 11-17-28.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Should be a bobby orr award for best dman and a defensive dman award.  

i want chara healthy and rested.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Yes, there should. Letang definitely merits consideration, no doubt but there is more than just stats that to think about. Let's be honest, who among the three listed would a coach want on the ice protecting a late third period lead in a game 7 situation. I would be willing to bet the answer is Chara for the vast majority of them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Yes, there should. Letang definitely merits consideration, no doubt but there is more than just stats that to think about. Let's be honest, who among the three listed would a coach want on the ice protecting a late third period lead in a game 7 situation. I would be willing to bet the answer is Chara for the vast majority of them.

I think everyone would want chara on the ice trying to hold a lead and on pk.  Trying to tie a game and pp letang would get the nod.  Both play large minutes.  Chara is a beast.  

if the playoffs started tomorrow and a team could pick one guy for a run.  Im pretty sure a lot of gms would want chara.  And im including fwds.  Sid would get the most votes but chara would be in the conversation.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I think everyone would want chara on the ice trying to hold a lead and on pk.  Trying to tie a game and pp letang would get the nod.  Both play large minutes.  Chara is a beast.  

if the playoffs started tomorrow and a team could pick one guy for a run.  Im pretty sure a lot of gms would want chara.  And im including fwds.  Sid would get the most votes but chara would be in the conversation.  

Completely agree. I also think that most trophies have a component of seniority attached to the winner. How many times have we heard thet it is just not a particular players time yet? Barring an obviously brilliant season (like Karlsson's last year) the senior nominee generally takes home the tophy more time than not....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm glad you put it the way you did, shupe.  I get enraged when people say there should be an Orr award for the best offensive D-man and then another award for best defensive D-man.  That's a crock.  Orr was the best defenseman, period.  He owned the puck and if he didn't have it, he'd take it from you.  I've always said that labels like "PMD" and "offensive defenseman" were backhanded insults - they mean your offensive game is NHL ready but your defense is suspect.  That was never Orr. 

The whole idea may actually be flawed if you think too much about it.  We don't need a "defensive defenseman" trophy.  There should be an Art Ross for defensemen, then an Orr trophy for best defenseman all round.  Like the Hart for D.  That's where Cedfano would come in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Shouldn't it be Cedfano Zahara?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I'm glad you put it the way you did, shupe.  I get enraged when people say there should be an Orr award for the best offensive D-man and then another award for best defensive D-man.  That's a crock.  Orr was the best defenseman, period.  He owned the puck and if he didn't have it, he'd take it from you.  I've always said that labels like "PMD" and "offensive defenseman" were backhanded insults - they mean your offensive game is NHL ready but your defense is suspect.  That was never Orr. 

The whole idea may actually be flawed if you think too much about it.  We don't need a "defensive defenseman" trophy.  There should be an Art Ross for defensemen, then an Orr trophy for best defenseman all round.  Like the Hart for D.  That's where Cedfano would come in.

Bingo.....the "Art Ross" Trophy for Dmen should be named after Paul Coffey.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Cedfano for Norris!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Shouldn't it be Cedfano Zahara?

lol....

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Norris best defensive, coffee best offensive, orr best overall? I could get on board with that. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

But Letang scores points as a defenseman!!! Theres no way he can be good defensively! He's a liabilty back there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Looks like Melrose agrees:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=15149&navid=nhl:topheads

Kiss of death?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

But Letang scores points as a defenseman!!! Theres no way he can be good defensively! He's a liabilty back there.

Exactly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

It seems TSN does not agree:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417924

Ceddy not even mentioned.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Cullen only cares about stats - he never looks very much at the play away from the puck or positional dominance.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Cullen is a fantasy hockey columnist.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Cullen only cares about stats - he never looks very much at the play away from the puck or positional dominance.

Got to agree with you there. His first line is:

With Erik Karlsson getting injured, this award goes up for grabs and Letang is not only pulling away in the defence scoring race, but he's also scored 20 of his 26 points at even strength.

Its all about offense to him.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

And here is TSNs midseason picks for awards.  For the Norris they have Letang with PK Suubban and Oliver Ekman-Larsson as runner ups.....Cedafno doesn't even get an honourable mention.

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/story/?id=417924

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Cullen is a fantasy hockey columnist.

Which is a good reason for him to not write articles like this one. Surely TSN has more qualified staff to do this?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

sorry just read the posts above....delete

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Cullen is a really good guy.  I played in a fantasy league with him for a couple of years.

Yes, he's a stats guy, a fantasy hockey writer for a very long time.

Sections
Shortcuts