And this is why no matter how good the numbers, Thomas scares the crap out of me.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: And this is why no matter how good the numbers, Thomas scares the crap out of me.

Pberger..
    the bruins didnt play the third to win.. That loss was not thomas's fault, the 1st goal he gave up was yes a bad, but one of those goals that happen, the 2nd not his fault, and the OT.. a well played/well placed shot, do you want to see it no but it was a good goal..

Thomas was not the one deserving of the criticism last night.. 39 save.. half of them in the 3rd and ot, the bruins didnt play to win, they went ahead and played not to lose..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Re: And this is why no matter how good the numbers, Thomas scares the crap out of me.

In Response to Re: And this is why no matter how good the numbers, Thomas scares the crap out of me.:
    Pberger.. the bruins didnt play the third to win.. That loss was not thomas's fault, the 1st goal he gave up was yes a bad, but one of those goals that happen, the 2nd not his fault, and the OT.. a well played/well placed shot, do you want to see it no but it was a good goal.. Thomas was not the one deserving of the criticism last night.. 39 save.. half of them in the 3rd and ot, the bruins didnt play to win, they went ahead and played not to lose..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I agree that you can't pin the loss on only Thomas, but last night was really bad. A pee wee goalie could have stopped the first goal

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Sco..

Yeah? and all the terrific saves he made early should be overlooked, as well as the fact that the bruins were outshot 18-8 in the third.. you can't blame thomas for the loss at all, he gave up one bad goal, and gave the team a chance to win, that is what you expect of a goalie..

It was a bad goal, but it was only 1 goal.. The team collapsed, played the 3rd not to lose, and gave up 2 goals in the final what 2 minutes.. thats not all on the goalie.. If he didnt play as well as he had the could have lost that game by a far larger margin..

People want to ignore Thomas's numbers to make arguements as to why Rask should play, why thomas should be traded etc..

11-1-3 on the road I believe, 18-4-6.. he gives up one bad goal and its "thats why thomas worries me, rask is more calming.. How relaxed do you think the team is playing in front of a guy who is 3-7-?? knowing he doesnt cover their mistakes as well, and for whatever reason they arent winning in front of him??

I am not saying thats your argument, that is part of the underlying theme in regards to this post..

The team isnt scoring on the PP, and isnt scoring consistantly, Thomas's numbers though climbing are still the highest SVS% in NHL history.. Lets not worry about the goal tending at this point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: And this is why no matter how good the numbers, Thomas scares the crap out of me.:
    In Response to Re: And this is why no matter how good the numbers, Thomas scares the crap out of me. : Yup, prevent defense should not start at the beginning of the third period.  No offense then you must play defense.Thomas is not the problem! Posted by islamorada

^This!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In Response to Re: And this is why no matter how good the numbers, Thomas scares the crap out of me. : okay, well, you didn't though, sooooo don't put words in my mouth, i know what i said and you apparently don't have a clue
    Posted by pbergeron37

Judging by what I read from more knowledgeable fans on this forum than yourself, who have posted comments about your views on TT which are similar to mine.... I believe it is you who needs to get a clue!! Like I said before , your history is well documented.. Have a nice day!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Pberg..

few goalies have actually ever "won anything" and before you knock TT on the loss to carolina, keep in mind that was the bruins first trip to a second round in???  Stanley cup goalies? Neimi won one, more cause philly's goalie blew it, fleurys not available, osgoods won some, but lets be real on this team with osgood as a starter we wouldnt make it to the play offs..

the buffalo game? when he came in to bail out Rask, and wasnt sharp.. People need to approach that game from the correct mentality, thomas was not a back up brought in to play (if so he would have had the stay sharp mentality).. he was on the bench to be given a break because he has played so much, of course he was not sharp.. He didnt approach the game as "I better be ready"

Semin's OT goal? are you talking about a regular season game???  pretty big one..

Similarly last nights game would have kept the bruins in first, but really wasnt that important.. It would have been nice to go into montreal and win, since were now 0-1-2 against them.. But thomas stealing a win (which is what he would have done, they out played the bruins and deserved to win) is less meaningful then the rest of the team putting 60 minutes of hockey together, and not going into a protection defense for the 3rd period..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

PB37...I like how you've figured out a way to insult Thomas, while saying he is a great goalie. Well played.
    However, when it comes to sports on ice, stick to figure skating. That's where style points actually count for something.
    If Thomas is going to keep stopping 95 out of every 100 shots, I don't care if he does it while hanging upside-down from the crossbar, while drinking a beer.
    No goalie is going to stop everything, and bad goals happen. Your obsession with pointing out any suspect, or bad goal by Thomas, is getting old. You could do the exact same thing with every goalie in the league.
    I bet even your man-crush Rask, may have let in a bad goal or two, during his career.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Pberg..
    I am kept on my seat less because of thomas's play then I am of the bruins, when he is working as hard as he was last night, and you get the feeling that the game is getting away, its not because of his play, its the play of the team..

The buffalo game aside (i think its fair to say he was not mentally prepared to play that night) its not like thomas has given up lousy goals, cost this team games of even had "3 goals on 20 shots against" performances.. the success of the team this year looks to live and die with his play, thats alot to ask

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

Fact outshot 23-8 in the 3rd and ot. Fact a triple deflection off his own defensemans foot. Fact goal of Giontas foot. Fact 18-4-6. Fact best G.A.A and save % in the entire league. Fact two time all star winning goalie. Fact Vezina winner. Fact Jennings winner. Fact Crozier winner. Fact two seventh man award winner. Fact Olympic silver medalist. Fact outplayed Rask too become the number one in Boston. Fact only NHL goalie to ever win back to back 1-0 road games. Now you bashers show me your facts, until then keeps us entertained with your funny hockey stories about 32 pims. Dezastoogie I don't care what you think,  Thomas is the best player on this team, and has the stats too prove it. You have a opinion, while his numbers have the facts. But let's nitpick when two goals are allowed, a bad penalty, a bad coaching decision in the final two minutes, allowing four of the weakest players on the team to be caught on the ice, total lack of heart in the final twenty minutes, and ot. These are the cause of the loss. Not the play of a goalie that played lights out for 58 minutes, only to be robbed by said bad decisions. Fire Julie Ann, he stinks!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I kind of expected  one of the first TT bashers tonite jumping out of the gate would be DKrejci46..  BTW care to enlighten us when your boy is going to start contributing one of these games.. Did he even play tonite? I couldn't tell really.. TT  deserved a better fate from his team mates...Maybe if that tool Ryder doesn't take a totally ridiculous penalty in the offensive zone  that first pinball shot never happens ...After the Habs tied it up on a second pinball shot , it didn't really matter on the OT goal.. Did anybody think the B's would win in shootout ? Posted by cowboys9

You cannot be serious with that statement?  TT let in two horrendous goals last night, try to be at least a little bit objective.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

This is an intresting thread because I agree with both krejci and whino.  I do not trust Thomas to make the big save when needed under pressure but Julien is much more to blame that Thomas for last night.  When Thomas won the Vezina it was because he spent over half the season platooning with Fernandez.  When Chara won the Norris they tried to keep him at 24 minutes a game.  This year CJ has overplayed both these players and now they are not as effective as they should be. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

This is an intresting thread because I agree with both krejci and whino.  I do not trust Thomas to make the big save when needed under pressure but Julien is much more to blame that Thomas for last night.  When Thomas won the Vezina it was because he spent over half the season platooning with Fernandez.  When Chara won the Norris they tried to keep him at 24 minutes a game.  This year CJ has overplayed both these players and now they are not as effective as they should be. 
    Posted by Orrthebest
    I also do not trust Thomas to make the big save when the game is on the line. His work in the playoffs supports this theory, and yes he should have had the first goal by the Habs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Fact outshot 23-8 in the 3rd and ot. Fact a triple deflection off his own defensemans foot. Fact goal of Giontas foot. Fact 18-4-6. Fact best G.A.A and save % in the entire league. Fact two time all star winning goalie. Fact Vezina winner. Fact Jennings winner. Fact Crozier winner. Fact two seventh man award winner. Fact Olympic silver medalist. Fact outplayed Rask too become the number one in Boston. Fact only NHL goalie to ever win back to back 1-0 road games. Now you bashers show me your facts, until then keeps us entertained with your funny hockey stories about 32 pims. Dezastoogie I don't care what you think,  Thomas is the best player on this team, and has the stats too prove it. You have a opinion, while his numbers have the facts. But let's nitpick when two goals are allowed, a bad penalty, a bad coaching decision in the final two minutes, allowing four of the weakest players on the team to be caught on the ice, total lack of heart in the final twenty minutes, and ot. These are the cause of the loss. Not the play of a goalie that played lights out for 58 minutes, only to be robbed by said bad decisions. Fire Julie Ann, he stinks!!!!!!!
    Posted by notacryingwino

Fact-your love of TT would be acceptable for an 8 year old but it's expected that an adult be a little more objective.Fact-name-calling doesn't equal argument winning(more likely a sign you're losing it).Fact-Rask will start more in 2nd half.Have a nice day kid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: And this is why no matter how good the numbers, Thomas scares the crap out of me. : Fact-your love of TT would be acceptable for an 8 year old but it's expected that an adult be a little more objective.Fact-name-calling doesn't equal argument winning(more likely a sign you're losing it).Fact-Rask will start more in 2nd half.Have a nice day kid.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I could totally see Rask taking over the starting job in the 2nd half. TT's done an admirable job but ol' 5-hole could be rearing his ugly head.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: And this is why no matter how good the numbers, Thomas scares the crap out of me. : I could totally see Rask taking over the starting job in the 2nd half. TT's done an admirable job but ol' 5-hole could be rearing his ugly head.
    Posted by 50belowzero

I didn't  mean more than TT as much as just more than he has started in first half.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: And this is why no matter how good the numbers, Thomas scares the crap out of me. : I didn't  mean more than TT as much as just more than he has started in first half.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Yeah your right there.It just makes sense for the B's. By the way (being a TT knocker), i think TT has played lights out this year, i just don't think he can make the BIG save when called upon.If he proves me wrong down the road all the better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: And this is why no matter how good the numbers, Thomas scares the crap out of me. : Yeah your right there.It just makes sense for the B's. By the way (being a TT knocker), i think TT has played lights out this year, i just don't think he can make the BIG save when called upon.If he proves me wrong down the road all the better.
    Posted by 50belowzero

I too would love for TT to be lights out all year.Whoever wins games works for me.People can say what they want but last night Boston was 1 save away from a win(if not a shutout).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

The problem was the weak first one that let the habs back in the game
    and the OT winner was weak!
    but he has been great all year

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

In Response to Re: And this is why no matter how good the numbers, Thomas scares the crap out of me. : okay, first off, i could stop a puck that was deflected 13 times if it was going 2 miles an hour on the ice. second, by your logic (having the best GAA and save percentage) shouldn't rask be an amazing elite goalie (he did it last year) and therefore could't thomas be traded (note, i do not advocate a tim thomas trade). furthermore please read my posts before you respond to them.
    Posted by pbergeron37

First off, I don't believe you could skate, let alone play goal in the NHL. Second shouldn't have Rask had a much better win loss record last year with his amazing numbers? The same applies too Thomas last season. A .914 save % and a 2.54 g.a.a should be good enough for a winning record right? The season before last Thomas also lead in these stats, why do you never ever mention that? Furthermore I am not your boyfriend, so don't tell me what to do. There is not one segment of Julie Anns coaching that is a sucess without the outstanding work of either goalie. Once again two goals in reg, and we are talking about the goaltending instead of the lack offense, or the fact the bruins got outshot 23-8 in the third and ot with zero offensive pressure. Or that Julie Anns vuanted defensive system routinly gives up 35 plus shots a night, relying on 5 to 8 great saves by the goalie game in and game out. These things alone shows how clueless you, and your other id dez are!!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notacryingwino. Show notacryingwino's posts

In Response to Re: And this is why no matter how good the numbers, Thomas scares the crap out of me. : I too would love for TT to be lights out all year.Whoever wins games works for me.People can say what they want but last night Boston was 1 save away from a win(if not a shutout).
    Posted by dezaruchi

Or one more goal, or one less dumb penalty, or one less bad clear, or one lesss bad personnel choice by the coach. Once again you have only opinions, no facts. Give it up!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Wino,

the bruins lost for many reasons. But look at it this way

The penalty on ryder, the penalty on wheeler, the bad coaching by julien, the prevent defense by the bruins in the 3rd period. Those things happen way more often than the first goal thomas let in. Out of all the things that went wrong, that first goal was by far the most easily preventable. If that shot doesnt go in, it's a shut out IMO. That is why a portion, NOT ALL,  but a portion of the blame should go on thomas.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In Response to Re: And this is why no matter how good the numbers, Thomas scares the crap out of me. : I also do not trust Thomas to make the big save when the game is on the line. His work in the playoffs supports this theory, and yes he should have had the first goal by the Habs.
    Posted by 50belowzero

Is this the best you TT bashers can do?
    I guess Thomas is the only goalie to ever be scored on in playoff overtime.
    As for not making the "big save" when the game is on the line, I guess you have not actually watched any games this year.
    With the lack of bruin offence, almost every save he makes, is with the game on the line.
    I knew that as soon as Thomas had a sub-par game, all the old TT bashers would come crawling out from under their rocks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

I think its Just Thomas and Savard getting their game losing mistakes out of the way in January. Hopefully they'll get it out of their system and those 2 will be topnotch in the playoffs. It s*cks when your best player and best center combine to give away 4 points in 2 straight games but you got to live with it.

Im chalking this one up to the damn ghosts of montreal. How did that puck that hit under the corssbar right in the corner of the post for bergy not go in? That like defied all laws of physics that goes in and Bergy gets a Hatty. Completely different game a few bad bounces in MTL is nothing new guys.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

The idea that thomas isn't making the big save when the game is on the line is fairly absurd..

His record is what is what it is because of the big saves he has made.. When the team has been awful to start games he has been on fire, when the game has been awful to end games he has been great..

Thats the difference between his play this season (his record) and Rask..
    He can't make a big save? based on the loss on saturday?  So what about the save he made against Ovechkin when krejci turned the puck over with 8 seconds to play while the bruins were being outshot 26-2 in the third?

The bruins were out played, they didn't deserve to win that game, thomas kept them in it.. Pberg, you stated the opposite of that, saying the team played well enough to win, if you believe that you need to rewatch that game... What was the total shot count?  When the game is on the line, thomas isnt the concern its the shell the team goes into..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

The idea that thomas isn't making the big save when the game is on the line is fairly absurd..

Yeah its fairly amazing how so many people completely forget all those games earlier in the year. Where the team came out like a sleep walking parapalegic and didnt wake up until Thomas made a godly save in the first period to keep the game 0-0. Thats a goalie making game saving stops if you ask me.

Without thomas this team is not in 1st in the division not even close! Get off him after 2 Mediocre games people. At least theres less Trade Chara posts here than on the other Bruins site I follow.

Sections
Shortcuts