Angry Phil

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Angry Phil

http://www.saultstar.com/2013/06/12/espo-has-harsh-words-for-hawks-bruins-screw-them

Not many kind words from the Esposito brothers going into this Hawks Bruins matchup. Interesting read, but wow does Phil carry a lot of resentment to this day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Re: Angry Phil

Not the Phil I thought you were referring to. Was hoping for a Chara vs Kessel meme lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

Geez, and I had such fond memories of the night they retired his number. If he is this petty, the guy is probably mad at Bourque for stealing his thunder that night. What a jerk.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

In response to mikzor's comment:

Geez, and I had such fond memories of the night they retired his number. If he is this petty, the guy is probably mad at Bourque for stealing his thunder that night. What a jerk.

You hit it on the head. I watched a video of the raising the other night and he was choked up etc. I would never have never guessed he was harboring such feelings. Phil seems really bitter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

"...Said Tony: “Phil rarely gets invited to anything from the Bruins. He’s like an outcast. You think of what he did for them. He should be part of everything they do. I don’t know why there’s no relationship there, but there’s no relationship there.”

“Sometimes I don’t understand the way he is, I don’t think he has that much to be mad about. And I don’t know about him, but I’m pretty excited about this Stanley Cup.”..."

Wow. A good start to mending fences Phil is to stop publicly bad mouthing an organization that traded you away 45, 46 yrs ago. Why would they invite him?

I knew there was something amiss with the Espo/Bruins relationship, but nothing like this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I knew there was a strangeness but I thought it was because he was GM of the Lightning at the time and you arn't overly complimentary and/or jazzed about a rival despite having played for them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

This came to light during the Bruins-Tampa series in 2011 and I have never thought of him the same.  He's not just a guy who has some professional resentment with the team's management, he ripped everything about Boston and says he always roots hard against the Bruins.  F him.  He sounds like a senile old windbag to me, and I enjoyed hearing his sorrow after the Bruins eliminated the Bolts.

I don't care whether he roots for the Bruins or not, but his raving sounds so petty and ungrateful.  As though the 2013 Bruins have a thing to do with him being traded four decades ago.  You would think on some level he would appreciate the team and the fans that helped make him great (and rich).  He didn't look too bitter at his retirement ceremony... is old age is making him bitter now?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Who cares what he thinks? He looks like Rocky Balboa's retar ded brother and talks like Menino with a mouth full of food.

Good player in his day, but how he bacame the G.M of the Lightning and managed to land television gigs is something I will never get.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Phil speaks from the heart....Just like he did in Vancouver in the 72 series...Nothing has changed....And he's pissed at the trade that sent him to the Rangers. I'd be pissed to if what he said was true about taking less money....Me thinks if Neely and the new Jacobs reached out he would accept He sounds hurt that nobody has reached out....The Hawks did it when old man Wirtz died. They went out and mended old wounds right away. The Bruins don't appear to have done the same thing..........I have noticed Pit Martin, Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita and other old time Hawks in the stands when the tv cameras pan to them....Some how I  don't remember the camera showing other old time Bruins in the stands or boxes other than Cam and PC in the box....Is there other old Bruins showing up at our games ?   I've not noticed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Stuke, would you really still be ticked after nearly 40 years?

And they have shown other Bruins in the stands during the games, most notably, Bobby Orr, and his departure from the Bruins had just as much animosity - if not more - than Espo's. Orr got over it and let the past be the past. Espo obviously hasn't.

As for trying to med bridges, the retired Phil's number. A franchise can't give a player a higher honour than that. How is that not trying to mend bridges?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Orr has been at plenty of the playoff games, like Game 4 vs. Pittsburgh last week.  Milbury is always at everything.  Bucyk was back in 2011.  Neely was a regular before he was hired.  O'Reilly is frequently there.  I'm not agreeing at all that the Bruins don't have guys come back for things.

What does Espo want?  He's been trashing the team for at least two years for a trade that happened 45 years ago, and he sure didn't seem bothered by it when the team put on one of the most memorable retirement ceremonies anyone could have.

He's acting like a spoiled baby.  Players get traded and most of them don't hate their former team a half century later.  Hope they don't invite him back.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Stuke50's comment:

Phil speaks from the heart....Just like he did in Vancouver in the 72 series...Nothing has changed....And he's pissed at the trade that sent him to the Rangers. I'd be pissed to if what he said was true about taking less money....Me thinks if Neely and the new Jacobs reached out he would accept He sounds hurt that nobody has reached out....The Hawks did it when old man Wirtz died. They went out and mended old wounds right away. The Bruins don't appear to have done the same thing..........I have noticed Pit Martin, Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita and other old time Hawks in the stands when the tv cameras pan to them....Some how I  don't remember the camera showing other old time Bruins in the stands or boxes other than Cam and PC in the box....Is there other old Bruins showing up at our games ?   I've not noticed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/bobby-orr-attends-game-4-123925980.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Harry burned Phil when he renewed his contract in Boston the year before he go traded to New York. Espo could have gone to the WHL to cash in like his bud Hull but got talked into staying another year with the Bruins, then Harry would give him a long term deal after the one year deal. If Sinden is at a Bruins reunion Phil will not go and becuase he turned down so many events in the past he doesn't get invited anymore.

Phil also got burned in Tampa when an ownership change happened and he never got his ownership stake which he was promised. Esposito trusted people with handshake deals and unfortuntely got burned.

He won't change and that is his problem.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In Phil's biography he was very angry that he was traded but even angrier that he was traded to the Rags. Lots of resentment there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I've spoken to Phil at least once a wk for the past 6 yrs during the season. He has an ego problem, but the guy deserves some apologies over some things that were done to him. Both times he was traded they were done in very poor taste. Not to mention how the whole T-Bay fiasco unfolded for him. Harry Sinden had NOTHING to do with Phil's # getting retired. Matter of fact he was against it.  It was Orr & Bucyck that went after the B's to honor Phil's #.So he has some bitterness & he's told me personally that if someone would just apologize for the way things were done he'd be forgiving, but until then screw em! Which is one of his favourite comments to make. Regardless of whether or not his feelings are right or wrong is invalid. He speaks from the heart evertime he opens his mouth. He isn't fake & he speaks honestly, whether you agree or not isn't relevant either. He was asked a question & he answered it honestly. I think it's very unfair to call him a" spolied baby" & the like just because he's not kissing 2 teams arses that didn't & haven't treated him with much respect at all. 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I've spoken to Phil at least once a wk for the past 6 yrs during the season. He has an ego problem, but the guy deserves some apologies over some things that were done to him. Both times he was traded they were done in very poor taste. Not to mention how the whole T-Bay fiasco unfolded for him. Harry Sinden had NOTHING to do with Phil's # getting retired. Matter of fact he was against it.  It was Orr & Bucyck that went after the B's to honor Phil's #.So he has some bitterness & he's told me personally that if someone would just apologize for the way things were done he'd be forgiving, but until then screw em! Which is one of his favourite comments to make. Regardless of whether or not his feelings are right or wrong is invalid. He speaks from the heart evertime he opens his mouth. He isn't fake & he speaks honestly, whether you agree or not isn't relevant either. He was asked a question & he answered it honestly. I think it's very unfair to call him a" spolied baby" & the like just because he's not kissing 2 teams arses that didn't & haven't treated him with much respect at all. 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

Awesome info NOB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Well, what can I say, it sounds like you (and Sandog) know a lot more than I do.  I can't argue with anything written above because I simply don't know the facts and certainly don't know the man, so I'll retract my thoughts.

I'm just tired of hearing him rip on Boston, and more specifically the current Bruins teams, over some distant personal score.  To an relative outsider, he sounds like a spoiled baby when that's all you hear.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Thanks for the interesting post.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I loved Phil but at some point a person has to decide when enough is enough. 20, 30, 40, 50 years is a long time to carry a grudge against a franchise that made you rich and gave you a vehicle to become a superstar. He had some great times in Boston and had some great teammates and alot of great memories. To me Phil should be the bigger man and let it go because life is so much better without added stress. But i'm not Phil and if he wants to keep this up well too bad for him, the B's beat Tampa and they'll beat Tony's Hawks as well. Isn't Tony Hawk a skateboarder?  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:Interesting! Still one of the greatest Bruins and Canada doesn't win in 1972 with out Espo!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

That was a great trade for Boston getting Ratelle and Park!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

Well, what can I say, it sounds like you (and Sandog) know a lot more than I do.  I can't argue with anything written above because I simply don't know the facts and certainly don't know the man, so I'll retract my thoughts.

I'm just tired of hearing him rip on Boston, and more specifically the current Bruins teams, over some distant personal score.  To an relative outsider, he sounds like a spoiled baby when that's all you hear.

[/QUOTE]

He rips the organization Fletch, but he loves a lot of the Bruin players. He says nothing but praise for Chara, Lucic, DK & ADORES Bergeron. Remember the whole Laraque vs Lucic thing & how the Montreal media was saying Lucic was running scared? I mentioned this to him & I quote him. "PUH! Lucic isn't afraid of anybody & are you a bit surprised that those morons in  Montreal would say these things?" I said no not all, but I wanted to have your input. He said. "Well, that's all I'm gonna say, because if I say anymore I probably won't be allowed back on here again. The Boston Bruins aren't afraid of anyone, especially Lucic who plays the game the right way. Why would Lucic fight someone who gets 30 seconds of ice time on most nights. And for the Canadiens to keep putting him out there to goad Lucic into a fight they're the ones who were running scared, because they know Lucic can also play hockey!" 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

I loved Phil but at some point a person has to decide when enough is enough. 20, 30, 40, 50 years is a long time to carry a grudge against a franchise that made you rich and gave you a vehicle to become a superstar. He had some great times in Boston and had some great teammates and alot of great memories. To me Phil should be the bigger man and let it go because life is so much better without added stress. But i'm not Phil and if he wants to keep this up well too bad for him, the B's beat Tampa and they'll beat Tony's Hawks as well. Isn't Tony Hawk a skateboarder?  

If it were me or you 50 I think what you say is probably how we'd look at it, but Phil & Tony both have a lot of pride. And as I mentioned Phil has a BIG ego & he admits that & says it's one of his biggest downfalls. Having a big ego & swallowing a hurt pride can be like getting off a bad addiction. I think he feels betrayed & he hasn't refused anytime the B's invite him to Boston for special ceremonies, but he goes for his old teammates, not the Bruins. I don't agree with his bitterness, but I can certainly understand it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

There isn't a Bruins fan on Earth that wouldn't love to go to a game and have Phil Freakin' Esposito there for any reason.

That he refuses to mend any fences while holding such a grudge is pathetic.

His Team Canada speech is one of my favorites of all time.

This is wimpy and womanly.

Get over it, Phil, and come home.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

If it were me or you 50 I think what you say is probably how we'd look at it, but Phil & Tony both have a lot of pride. And as I mentioned Phil has a BIG ego & he admits that & says it's one of his biggest downfalls. Having a big ego & swallowing a hurt pride can be like getting off a bad addiction. I think he feels betrayed & he hasn't refused anytime the B's invite him to Boston for special ceremonies, but he goes for his old teammates, not the Bruins. I don't agree with his bitterness, but I can certainly understand it. 

For sure Nite, having a huge ego has gotten in the way of many fence mendings. Its really too bad and lets hope PC entends an olive branch or Phil realizes that at 71 he's a little old for this to carry on. 

Sections
Shortcuts