Angry Phil

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Angry Phil

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

There isn't a Bruins fan on Earth that wouldn't love to go to a game and have Phil Freakin' Esposito there for any reason.

That he refuses to mend any fences while holding such a grudge is pathetic.

His Team Canada speech is one of my favorites of all time.

This is wimpy and womanly.

Get over it, Phil, and come home.

I agree wholeheartedly!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

There isn't a Bruins fan on Earth that wouldn't love to go to a game and have Phil Freakin' Esposito there for any reason.

That he refuses to mend any fences while holding such a grudge is pathetic.

His Team Canada speech is one of my favorites of all time.

This is wimpy and womanly.

Get over it, Phil, and come home.

LOL! Awww the NAS I know & love!

Ya know NAS I do agree with what you say, but I've spoke to Phil personally about this & you can tell he was hurt by it. I mean I used to laugh at how Don Cherry got Orr to go with him & told him he was traded. When Phil said "Donny if you say New York I'm jumping out that window!" Don tells Bobby to get away from the window. I mean when I mentioned that to him. He was choked up over it. He said I know you think it's funny, but at that time it wasn't for me. And to tell me like that after the way they treated me in Chicago was terrible. I deserved better than that after what I did for that organization. I tried to call Harry to talk to him & he wouldn't even take my calls. I think he thinks if he "gets over it" without an apology he's being "wimpy" by caving in. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I have to go with what you say Nite, but he comes off as a little childish to me. i've never been traded, so I have no idea what it's like, but it's part of the business he was in. To be this upset years after the fact just comes across bad to me, and he did come back to an extent, he worked the road games with Dave Shea..I thought he was terrible at it and one thing he said in an interview that has always rubbed me the wrong way is that he said he puts hockey above family. Too each their own I guess, but i dont think i could ever feel, never mind say, that i care more about a game than my kids.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I have to go with what you say Nite, but he comes off as a little childish to me. i've never been traded, so I have no idea what it's like, but it's part of the business he was in. To be this upset years after the fact just comes across bad to me, and he did come back to an extent, he worked the road games with Dave Shea..I thought he was terrible at it and one thing he said in an interview that has always rubbed me the wrong way is that he said he puts hockey above family. Too each their own I guess, but i dont think i could ever feel, never mind say, that i care more about a game than my kids.

Being a color man on hockey broadcasts was definitely not his calling,thats for sure.He was bad.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Dude, you are a professional hockey player.

You got traded.

Grow up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

It wasn't the fact of being traded, for either team. It was the way it was conducted. When he was GM in NY and made trades (and he made lots. He was called Trader Phil for a reason) he NEVER once let that player find out from anyone else except from him. Never told the newspapers, never told other players first. He spoke to them directly & I think he was that way because of what happed to him. I mean some organizations still conduct themselves horrifically. The Oilers firing Krueger on Skype!! That's fawking ridiculous!!

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Orr has been at plenty of the playoff games, like Game 4 vs. Pittsburgh last week.  Milbury is always at everything.  Bucyk was back in 2011.  Neely was a regular before he was hired.  O'Reilly is frequently there.  I'm not agreeing at all that the Bruins don't have guys come back for things.

What does Espo want?  He's been trashing the team for at least two years for a trade that happened 45 years ago, and he sure didn't seem bothered by it when the team put on one of the most memorable retirement ceremonies anyone could have.

He's acting like a spoiled baby.  Players get traded and most of them don't hate their former team a half century later.  Hope they don't invite him back.

I think this is the heart of it all, Fletch.  What does he want?  As a former GM he, of all people should know trades are part of the game.  It's a shame as he's a Bruin immortal.  This reminds me of the chasm that existed between the Leafs and one of their greats Dave Keon who for decades held a grudge against former whackjob Leaf owner Harold Ballard back in the mid-70's.  Same situation.  Keon refused to set foot in any Leaf home arena for any reason. 

I remember reading it had something to do with Ballard wanting to dump Keon but Keon had a NTC.  Ballard had no intention of resigning him so he was allowed to make his own deal with other teams but Ballard made the compensation so high for any team signing him no teams touched him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Sad, but he's not alone. A lot of people hold grudges/bitterness/unforgiveness for any number of reasons, and never let it go..... His choice, but don't think it does him any good, nor the fans that have looked up to him for a loooooooooooong time. Myself included.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Nice storry nite

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to Canadianfan6's comment:

That was a great trade for Boston getting Ratelle and Park!!

Unfortunately Park never really got to play with a healthy Orr for any extended period of time.

Regarding Espo, if he really felt this way toward the Bruins, why show up and acknowledge the team retiring your number while taking it off the back of amother future HOFer?

He should really remember that professional sports is a business first, especially after becoming a GM...Phil give up the grudge and get back with the team that made you the HOFer you are today.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Whatever, man.  Phil was great, but it's the jersey and not the filling that matters.  I loved watching his Rangers lose.  For the longest time, he wasn't like other retired guys who "come home" and become living monuments.  He was a Ranger GM, then a Bolts exec..   He has vocally expressed that his attachment to the Bolts is stronger than his link to the Bruins.  Can't bring home an ex-pat who wants to maintain foreign citizenship.

[Overheard at the NHLPA press conference]

"So, is that pronounced "Fair" or "Fear"?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Rewatched the msg shoe beating from '79. espo gets stoned by cheevers and storms off the ice. Pi ss ed.

ending threads since '07

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Sounds like a fat, grumpy, old pr _ _ _ to me. Back in the 70's, I was probably one of few Bruin fans who loved it when he was traded. His influence on the later trade (washed up Ken Hodge for future stud Ricky Middleton) made it even better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to mxt's comment:

Sounds like a fat, grumpy, old pr _ _ _ to me. Back in the 70's, I was probably one of few Bruin fans who loved it when he was traded. His influence on the later trade (washed up Ken Hodge for future stud Ricky Middleton) made it even better.

You get this from the mirror this morning? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Love Espo. Does anyone know if Cam (or PC ) has actually made any sort of olive branch to him? Call me crazy, but I can sort of understand where Phil's coming from.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

He was invited to the Winter Classic Alumini game & played in that. He loves Neely & Bourque & the city of Boston, but just no use for the organization as a whole. 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

In response to mxt's comment:

You get this from the mirror this morning? 

Yes, actually. And make that a fat, grumpy, old, still angry pr_ _ _. Him still being mad 40 years later is both comical and sad. It would be good for either Espo or the B's to reach out and bring him into the stadium for game 3. Maybe all will be forgiven and the fans would sure get a kick out of it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Espo was slightly my favorite Bruin, only because everybody else went so boo boo over Orr and I felt.

I don't know what people are finding so difficult here.  I'd suggest those that don't have at least some understanding of his feelings are really the ones living in a fanatasy.

In the 60's and 70's(and right up to the cap era with JJ), the player/ team relationship was quite adversarial.  For a while, Bobby Hull had a big problem with the Hawks, Gordie Howe hated the Wings, Dave Keon still has a chip on his shoulder with the Leafs.  Doug Harvey never had any use for the Canadiens.  Even Bobby Orr didn't trust the Bruins.  Unfortunately, he listened to the advice of the wrong crook, but that's another story.  In almost all of those situations, the ownership groups reached out to the former stars, and made a considerable effort to make amends.

Phil Esposito is one of the easiest people to figure out.  He's emotional.  He speaks his mind.  Whatever he's thinkin comes out.  He doesn't filter much, and one of the things I find entertaining about him...is he doesn't spend much time weighing the politically correct.  He blurts things out, and he speaks honestly about his playing days.  Most athletes don't do that, and in a way, that makes them even more egocentric.

Of course Esposito understands the business of hockey, but he's also obviously a trusting, people guy.  Although warming, that kind of naivate has, and usually results in copious amounts of bitter disappointment.  these guys weren't making the big bucks in 1974.  Pretty much everybody but the big stars had a summer job.  They were paid well, but they weren't "stinkin rich".  When he resigned with the B's, Esposito could have easily tripled his money in the WHA(talk about home team discount), but his love for the B's clouded his judgement.  His ego, and ignorance clouded it even more by not negotiating a no trade.  It could have been done without any problem, but good ole Phil was so sure in his own mind, no one would ever want to trade someone who had contributed so much.  Many of his contemporaryies operated the same way.  At that time, Esposito would have been the biggest name to bolt the NHL, and his contract would have made Sanderson's look like chicken feed.

Same with the Lightning.  He goes in there....all in, works his butt off without crossing every T and dotting every I....because he trusts people.  Same thing.

So yeah....he got royally screwed a few times.  As far as the Bruins, he knows his "retirement' was nothing more than a marketing ploy to sell a few tickets on an off nite.  He knows it wasn't a company thing, just a few heavy hitters laying down some pressure to the corner office.  That in itself would make anyone bitter.  What many here don't know if they didn't live in the early 70's...is that many, many people at the time actually argued over who was better.  Orr or Esposito.  They were talked comparitively all the time.  Of course his number deserved to get retired.

I think in many ways, Esposito understands he's the problem.  He's mad at himself, as much as anybody for allowing himself to be taken advantage of.

Where I disagree with many posters here, is the "get over it thing".  If Espo was holed up in a bunker somewhere....living in the past, maybe I'd agree.

But he's not.  He's moved on, he's having a good time, enjoying himself.  He's saying what hundreds of ex NHLers are thinking when one of their old teams gets to the Cup finals.  "Who gives a shiit". 

Espositos attitude doesn't bother me a bit.  I bet most posters here would feel the same way.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

First off, I am and will always be a Phil Esposito fan. He was a great, great scorer, and I even enjoyed his play with the Rangers in 79 and toward end of his career. Without him on the B's or that trade with Chicago, the team never would have been the Big Bad Bruins regardless of Bobby Orr, who is the greatest player of all-time. I read Espo's book and I got to meet him a few times and he was gracious to talk to a fan even as a color commentator who was busy. I love his brutal honesty on a lot of subjects. He's a great guy in my opinion. What he fails to take into account, and this is because he can only take it personally, is that both trades were necessary trades in NHL history in regard to the Bruins. Both benefitted the Bruins, one basically helping 2 Cups be accomplished, the other helping the LunchPail Bruins become one of the best teams of the late 70s/early 80s, and if not for Montreal, probably the B's would have won 2 more Cups. With that said, I don't really care that Phil is upset or mad at the Bruins and I don't think he could say the B's have hurt him as they brought him back and retired his number, and Bourque took off his 7 to allow Phil his place in B's history in the rafters. Hate him, love him, whatever. I love the guy and I think it's time for him to stop taking everything so personally. Great players get traded, some get screwed, some have terrible after-careers. I don't think I'm going to lose any sleep over whether Phil was treated right or wrong by the B's some many years later.

Sections
Shortcuts