Anisimov's celebration

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

Re: Anisimov's celebration

just wish he'd tried it against a team like the bruins.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

What I like about Vinnie is he takes no BS. He even took on Big Z one time, and lived to tell the tale (in fact, I hear he has some karate skills). He would make an awesome Bruin! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Not at $10M a year he wouldn't.

I would have kicked his butt or gotten mine kicked trying.  Not a question, not a decision.  You want to celebrate scoring, I can live with that.  That's just natural emotion in an emotional game.  But you turn and pretend to shoot me because you scored?  Sorry, but I am not going to take a polite apology.  I'm going to hit you and keep hitting you until you knock me out or someone pulls me off.  Also natural emotion in a game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

I live in Jersey and have to put up with these classless Ranger fans all the time. Nice job by TB to come back perhaps thanks to the celebration. I'm hoping next time they meet Downie and company rack this guy up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

They showed a closeup of John Tortorella on the Rangers bench after the idiot celebration - he knew he would lose the game.  Bet you the coach punched him in the dressing room

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Tiger Williams used to ride his stick across center ice after scoring a goal. I wonder how that would fly today?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Aw, that's Tiger's ride was stupid, but it's not disrespectful.  Mock shooting, flipping someone the bird...that's fightin' time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Shoulda got his head knocked-ov. Like a guy on the losing team in a football game gets a sack and goes on some stomp-fest.

weak.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Love the response by Lecavalier, didn't hesitate a second. Lets keep the celebrations from getting to the NFL level.

My theory on the NFL. " The game is too big for them to ruin, but it hasn't stopped them from trying."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

Just to play devil's advocate, the announcer stated that this was very unlike Anisimov.  Any chance Vinny made a derogatory comment towards him earlier in the game?  And if so, does that justify his actions in any way?

In my opinion it may.  We don't hear the conversations that happen on the ice and don't really know the full story here.  But if a player called my mom a wench earlier in the game, I'd be very tempted to do the same thing given the opportunity.  Just sayin'.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That would be your response?  Mime shooting the guy?  Your mom would be so proud.

Players will say the most filthy things to get under an opponent's skin, but they don't do it over the PA system so that everyone in the building thinks your mom delivers ale in a medieval tavern.  Anisimov's taunt was on full display.  Can't let that pass.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Anisimov's celebration:
    Just to play devil's advocate, the announcer stated that this was very unlike Anisimov.  Any chance Vinny made a derogatory comment towards him earlier in the game?  And if so, does that justify his actions in any way? In my opinion it may.  We don't hear the conversations that happen on the ice and don't really know the full story here.  But if a player called my mom a wench earlier in the game, I'd be very tempted to do the same thing given the opportunity.  Just sayin'.
    Posted by 306bruinsfan

No excuse.  Even if the guy insulted your Mom, your response should be more spontaneous and physical, and less pre-meditated and fruity.  Waiting to score and then doing a childish taunt while skating away is just plain bad form.  He deserved a beating.  A shame his teammates are obligated to stick up for him...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Tiger Williams used to ride his stick across center ice after scoring a goal. I wonder how that would fly today?
    Posted by dezaruchi

Not even close to the same thing. 

Anisimov's move was classless, borderline malicious.  When Burrows scores a big goal, he shoots an arrow into the sky in honour of his friend Luc Bourdon.  If he aims that arrow at the goalie, different message entirely.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Anisimov's celebration : Not even close to the same thing.  Anisimov's move was classless, borderline malicious.  When Burrows scores a big goal, he shoots an arrow into the sky in honour of his friend Luc Bourdon.  If he aims that arrow at the goalie, different message entirely.
    Posted by 49-North

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpliUdSZ4Wc
    Yeah sure, Williams wasn't attempting to show up the opposition when he rode his stick..........thanks for another look into the mind of a Canucks fan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Check this out.
    http://tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=382354
    As usual, Fraser gives a fantastic analysis of the play, the penalties, and if supplementary discipline is needed. Great read. Gives a solid argument for why Downie should not be suspended.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

In Response to Re: Anisimov's celebration : No excuse.  Even if the guy insulted your Mom, your response should be more spontaneous and physical, and less pre-meditated and fruity.  Waiting to score and then doing a childish taunt while skating away is just plain bad form.  He deserved a beating.  A shame his teammates are obligated to stick up for him...
    Posted by Fletcher1

I just don't see it being that bad.  Bruins players have done worse and we've praised them for it.  Ference's middle finger comes to mind.  Then there was Marchand in the Finals skating right by the Canucks bench dusting off his hands after taking out Daniel Sedin and fighting another guy.

Players will do stupid things in the heat of the moment.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Anisimov's celebration : I just don't see it being that bad.  Bruins players have done worse and we've praised them for it.  Ference's middle finger comes to mind.  Then there was Marchand in the Finals skating right by the Canucks bench dusting off his hands after taking out Daniel Sedin and fighting another guy. Players will do stupid things in the heat of the moment.
    Posted by 306bruinsfan

Ference's finger was extended to the crowd and not the Montreal bench or one of the players.

The entire crowd wasn't focused on Marchand and it must have been subtle because I don't recall it at all.

Finally, there are pickup games I know of that would have started a fight if someone did that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

In Response to Re: Anisimov's celebration : Ference's finger was extended to the crowd and not the Montreal bench or one of the players. The entire crowd wasn't focused on Marchand and it must have been subtle because I don't recall it at all. Finally, there are pickup games I know of that would have started a fight if someone did that.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Wait... So it is OK for Ference to give the crowd the finger because they are in the stands and can't come out onto the ice to fight him?  Come on.  I know we're all Bruins fans but let's at least TRY to be objective.

And here is the video of Marchand being Marchand:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn0fMRzT2-4

This WAS aimed at the Canuck's bench although it was somewhat subtle.

And let's be honest, talking about a guy's mom can potentially result in a fight at a pick up game. It doesn't take pretending to shoot a guy with your hockey stick to make that happen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Anisimov's celebration : I just don't see it being that bad.  Bruins players have done worse and we've praised them for it.  Ference's middle finger comes to mind.  Then there was Marchand in the Finals skating right by the Canucks bench dusting off his hands after taking out Daniel Sedin and fighting another guy. Players will do stupid things in the heat of the moment.
    Posted by 306bruinsfan

Apparently , Anisimov doesn't feel the same way as you. In case you missed it he came out and apologized for his actions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Anisimov's celebration : Apparently , Anisimov doesn't feel the same way as you. In case you missed it he came out and apologized for his actions.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

I think Tortarella sat him down and had a chat with him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

In Response to Re: Anisimov's celebration : Apparently , Anisimov doesn't feel the same way as you. In case you missed it he came out and apologized for his actions.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Sorry, let me rephrase.  I don't see the emotional outburst of Ference giving the finger to the crowd or Anisimov pretending to shoot Lecavelier being that bad.  In fact I expect it.  I also expect that after the game they'll realize they made a mistake and apologize.  But ridiculing Anisimov and not Ference is just plain bias.  Ference also apologized, which I obviously expected.

Basically what I am trying to say is that there will be emotional outburts such as this in pro sports.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

The 'throat-slitting' gesture, pretending to shoot someone, Asham's "sleep time" gesture -- none of these constitute celebration, they are premeditated, planned and rehearsed demonstrations meant solely to taunt and demean the opposition. 

While I'm all for spontaneous celebrations, there's also an element of role modelling going on here, and for kids to see their favourite players pretending to shoot the opposing goalie with a rifle -- that's the wrong message.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It's the premeditated actions of unsportsmanlike behaviour that drive me nuts (like Team USA keeping a Canadian flag on their dressing room floor in 2002 - though some have said that story is apocryphal). The spontaneous gestures of emotion (Anisimov, Ferrence, Asham) don't bother me that much though they are classless. Sit in the box for two minutes, apologize, and move on.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

It's the premeditated actions of unsportsmanlike behaviour that drive me nuts (like Team USA keeping a Canadian flag on their dressing room floor in 2002 - though some have said that story is apocryphal). The spontaneous gestures of emotion (Anisimov, Ferrence, Asham) don't bother me that much though they are classless. Sit in the box for two minutes, apologize, and move on.
    Posted by red75

There we go.  I agree with this.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Anisimov's celebration : Sorry, let me rephrase.  I don't see the emotional outburst of Ference giving the finger to the crowd or Anisimov pretending to shoot Lecavelier being that bad.  In fact I expect it.  I also expect that after the game they'll realize they made a mistake and apologize.  But ridiculing Anisimov and not Ference is just plain bias.  Ference also apologized, which I obviously expected. Basically what I am trying to say is that there will be emotional outburts such as this in pro sports.
    Posted by 306bruinsfan

This I was no part of . Ference knew what he was doing and shouldn't have done it.

Sections
Shortcuts