Anisimov's celebration

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Anisimov's celebration

In Response to Re: Anisimov's celebration:
    The 'throat-slitting' gesture, pretending to shoot someone, Asham's "sleep time" gesture -- none of these constitute celebration, they are premeditated, planned and rehearsed demonstrations meant solely to taunt and demean the opposition.  While I'm all for spontaneous celebrations, there's also an element of role modelling going on here, and for kids to see their favourite players pretending to shoot the opposing goalie with a rifle -- that's the wrong message.
    Posted by 49-North

So you figure Asham had been practicing that move eh? Well, I suppose he was good at it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Anisimov's celebration : So you figure Asham had been practicing that move eh? Well, I suppose he was good at it.
    Posted by dezaruchi

A: It didn't look spontaneous to me, unless Anisimov carries a rifle with him everywhere he goes.

B: Even if it was spontaneous, doesn't mean it's acceptable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Context is everything.  If he had done that in a playoff game, I'm not sure there would have been an apology issued.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Reality is everything . It was not a playoff game and he did.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Anisimov's celebration : A: It didn't look spontaneous to me, unless Anisimov carries a rifle with him everywhere he goes. B: Even if it was spontaneous, doesn't mean it's acceptable.
    Posted by 49-North

Did I mention Anisimov? Please read posts which you decide to reply to as it makes it easier to understand when you do. You called ASHAM's move "premeditated and rehearsed". I simply questioned whether that was true. No surprise that when you don't like an answer, you decide to just change the question.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Anisimov's celebration : Did I mention Anisimov? Please read posts which you decide to reply to as it makes it easier to understand when you do. You called ASHAM's move "premeditated and rehearsed". I simply questioned whether that was true. No surprise that when you don't like an answer, you decide to just change the question.
    Posted by dezaruchi

My most sincere apologies, oh Dez, master of the forum. 

I do think that Asham's move was premeditated.  I don't think he just pulled it out of thin air.  He'd probably been thinking, for some time: "if I knock a guy out, I'm giving him the sleepy time gesture".  When he saw Beagle go down, he pulled out that move.

Nobody knows for sure except for Asham himself, but that's my opinion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Anisimov's celebration : My most sincere apologies, oh Dez, master of the forum.  I do think that Asham's move was premeditated.  I don't think he just pulled it out of thin air.  He'd probably been thinking, for some time: "if I knock a guy out, I'm giving him the sleepy time gesture".  When he saw Beagle go down, he pulled out that move. Nobody knows for sure except for Asham himself, but that's my opinion.
    Posted by 49-North

Well 49, this conversation started when you tried to say Tiger Williams goal celebration was somehow different in that regard. My question is still, how so?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Anisimov's celebration : Well 49, this conversation started when you tried to say Tiger Williams goal celebration was somehow different in that regard. My question is still, how so?
    Posted by dezaruchi

For one, Tiger rode his stick, away from the opposition goal. You could see the joy of scoring a goal.  There was never anything directed back at the goalie or a member of the team.  If anything, it was more directed at the fans (I recall the celebration took place in Toronto, where he played for many years). 

Anisimov's gesture was clearly directed back towards the goalie, or at the very least, towards the Lightning players.  It involved a much more controversial role for his stick (a rifle, as opposed to Tiger's ride), and it also clearly involved a shooting motion (he even seemed to simulate the rifle's recoil).

As I stated before, a more comparable/contrasting celebration would be Burrows' "arrow into the sky" -- again, involving a weapon, but clearly directed up to the heavens, in honour of his friend Luc Bourdon, and not as a gesture against the opposing team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Anisimov's celebration : For one, Tiger rode his stick, away from the opposition goal. You could see the joy of scoring a goal.  There was never anything directed back at the goalie or a member of the team.  If anything, it was more directed at the fans (I recall the celebration took place in Toronto, where he played for many years).  Anisimov's gesture was clearly directed back towards the goalie, or at the very least, towards the Lightning players.  It involved a much more controversial role for his stick (a rifle, as opposed to Tiger's ride), and it also clearly involved a shooting motion (he even seemed to simulate the rifle's recoil). As I stated before, a more comparable/contrasting celebration would be Burrows' "arrow into the sky" -- again, involving a weapon, but clearly directed up to the heavens, in honour of his friend Luc Bourdon, and not as a gesture against the opposing team.
    Posted by 49-North

Let me jusy say I'm against rehearsed celebrations altogether.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

for the record, when playing friendly pick up games, i ride my stick after every goal/assist/nice pass... try it, it's wicked fun. i would not ever do it in a "real game" situation though. i'm a firm believer in "if you wouldn't like it done to you...don't do it to others". i would fully expect to get jumped if i did it in a competitive game atmosphere.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Some stuff is OK, some are over the top.  Almost everything besides the "arms raised", "fist-pump" or "faceplant into the glass" is probably premeditated to some degree.

When OV did his "my stick is hot" thing, I thought that was lame.  But when Selanne did his "glove-skeet-shooting" move, I thought it was clever.  I suppose it's a matter of whether you think it's disrespectful to the game or the opposition, and a question of personal preference.

You probably don't agree with me on this one, but I just love it when Burrows does his Bourdon tribute (and he only does it for really big goals).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Some stuff is OK, some are over the top.  Almost everything besides the "arms raised", "fist-pump" or "faceplant into the glass" is probably premeditated to some degree. When OV did his "my stick is hot" thing, I thought that was lame.  But when Selanne did his "glove-skeet-shooting" move, I thought it was clever.  I suppose it's a matter of whether you think it's disrespectful to the game or the opposition, and a question of personal preference. You probably don't agree with me on this one, but I just love it when Burrows does his Bourdon tribute (and he only does it for really big goals).
    Posted by 49-North

See, I think everything you've mentioned there is a good deal less flagrant than Anisimov, simply because none of those could really be deemed to be taunting the other team (even though some are still obnoxious).

As you've mentioned, Anisimov's move had nothing to do with celebrating.  In fact, he had already celebrated the goal.  Then, from a safe distance, he chose to turn around and point the gun directly at Lightning players and taunt them.  More than anything it was just such a stupid thing to do.  Someone might remind him (I sure Torts already has) that: a) it was a tap-in goal set up by his teammate, not like he personally skated through the defense; and b) it was in the middle of a game -- a game his team would lose.  

I thought it was both dumb and insulting. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

without going through all the posts again - and at the risk of repeating the obvious.... Apparently Asiminov was emulating his favorite player back home. So yes his "rifle" was definitely rehearsed but after much thought, I don't think it was malicious. However, this is no room in the game for that type of taunting. He learned a lesson and now we move on. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

and on another note......this team is so pathetic right now that if someone has to "shoot 'em" to light a fire under their a**es I suggest it happen every game!Wink

Sections
Shortcuts