1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

Another "clean" hit by Orpik

Punk.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Another

Great, high quality post.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

ZZZZzzzz..... One pontificator checked in.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

SEE THE STORY HERE

Apparently posting the link was too difficult for you.

Yeah, I'm going to guess Orpik gets a few games for this one.  Not only is it a clear head shot, it's a high profile player.

I'll even add a graphic here to show you how to post a story properly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

Internal Torx Head Screw

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

LOL

Good one.  How about this in response:

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

SEE THE STORY HERE

Yeah, I'm going to guess Orpik gets a few games for this one.  Not only is it a clear head shot, it's a high profile player.

Not sure about this one. It looked like he gets shoulder first and then follow through gets his head. Toews has to have his head up or at least look for an incoming hit.  He never saw him coming. 

I wonder how they will view the injury.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

SanDog come post your vine. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

SEE THE STORY HERE

Not sure about this one. It looked like he gets shoulder first and then follow through gets his head. Toews has to have his head up or at least look for an incoming hit.  He never saw him coming. 

I wonder how they will view the injury.

legion is orpik a repeat offender do u know? cause this hit is alot like the ericsson one to me and got away with that and i thought that one was dirty too

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Watching it in full speed it doesnt look that bad to me. If it was Miller making the same hit we would all be saying it is a great hit and that the injury occured because of his strength.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

Ha! NAS, I Gotcha! Seriously, someone is going to take it to Orpik sooner rather than later. And it will look like Thornton's response was tame, which it was.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to LoyalBlackNGold's comment:

legion is orpik a repeat offender do u know? cause this hit is alot like the ericsson one to me and got away with that and i thought that one was dirty too

[/QUOTE]

Not sure if he is but if Shannahan deems the hit legal it won't matter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Looks like to me Orpik's forearm first pint of contact the top of the shouldder pad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Looks like to me Orpik's forearm first pint of contact the top of the shouldder pad.

U know watching it real time it's not like the hit on Louie. I don't think the nhl will do anything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Not between the numbers.

shoulder to shoulder.

A lot like Rinaldos hit today.

Text book and clean.

Toews shoulders are still mashed together.

#Shuplikescreampuffpastries

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Like Milbury said,Orprick hits to injure but doesn't believe in fighting,so there is not much an opposing team can do other than punch him a few times and give the Pens a 5 min PP,doesn't seem fair but it is what it is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

Thank you Another.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I didn't think it was that bad.  I mean, not too late as it seemed like the puck just left.  I think he gets a game for too much head contact and he appears to leave his feet.  The injury to Toews did not appear to be head-related at all though.  Looked like the shoulder to me.

Now, getting away from the league response, Orpik and Emelin types have got to start reaping what they sow at some point.  I've never believed that anyone "has to fight", especially for being a hard hitter.  Hitting is a great part of the game.  

But the old-school part of me expects that when you seek big, nasty hits on star players, and you have somewhat of a track record of injuring players with those hits, you should be prepared to defend yourself and take some accountability.  Orpik and Emelin waving a white flag after hits that injure people and saying "I don't fight" is getting pretty lame.  

Orpik has the right to throw big hits on star players, but teams like the Bruins and Blackhawks also have to be expected to try to deter injuries to said star players.  When Orpik lays down like a lamb and looks to the refs to protect him it ushers in the eye-for-eye response as an alternative -- eg. cream Crosby instead.  And that's not good for anyone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

I'm so sick of people saying the guy getting hit has to keep his head up.  It's physically and mentally impossible to do that all the time so quit saying it.  Players like Orpik prey on others who are in vulnerable positions and the league has to put a stop to it.  Its intent to injure pure and simple.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

He goes in with the shoulder to a player that just had the puck. The problem here is Toews is kind of low, his head where his shoulder would be if he were straight up. I'd be suprised if he gets punished.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

He goes in with the shoulder to a player that just had the puck. The problem here is Toews is kind of low, his head where his shoulder would be if he were straight up. I'd be suprised if he gets punished.

Yah players should always be upright like giraffs.. even when they turn corners or reach for pucks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Borderline call, but to me if his feet leave the ice, it's Charging.

Does anyone know of a site that keeps a stat on each team and how many games lost to injury they have caused? My guess is Pittsburgh is on top. I haven't found one yet.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Now, getting away from the league response, Orpik and Emelin types have got to start reaping what they sow at some point.  I've never believed that anyone "has to fight", especially for being a hard hitter.  Hitting is a great part of the game.  

But the old-school part of me expects that when you seek big, nasty hits on star players, and you have somewhat of a track record of injuring players with those hits, you should be prepared to defend yourself and take some accountability.  Orpik and Emelin waving a white flag after hits that injure people and saying "I don't fight" is getting pretty lame.  

Orpik has the right to throw big hits on star players, but teams like the Bruins and Blackhawks also have to be expected to try to deter injuries to said star players.  When Orpik lays down like a lamb and looks to the refs to protect him it ushers in the eye-for-eye response as an alternative -- eg. cream Crosby instead.  And that's not good for anyone.

This is a great post on the matter.Hitting is a huge part of the game and i love big hits but as you state "big hitters" like Emelin,Orprick seem to love hitting unsuspecting players in vulnerable positions and there are many examples out there to prove this point.The problem arises when players try to take exceptions to these hits,especially when the hits are to the teams star or top flight players and lead to injury.I agree that hockey is a fast hard hitting game and players have to keep their head up as players like Orprick love when a player has his head turned or isn't aware a big hit is coming and can lick their chops and level them.

The part that gets to me is when a team wants to stick up for their injured player there is nothing that can be done to deter the likes of Emelin and Orprick as we all know by now they won't fight.The thing i find funny about Pittsburgh is they said nothing against head hits when they had the biggest headhunters on their team but as soon as Sydney got some headaches from an incidental hit all of a sudden these hits had to stop.Now that Orprick takes great delight in hitting vulnerable players with clean by definition "choplicker" hits,everything is ok,but Karma is a mother and if Sydney gets rocked by a blindside hit again,or heaven forbid Patches, lookout,the crying will start. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

As SanDog breaks it down - yup, it's clean.  Within the "rules."   But, as 50below rightly points out my same POV on this - OrpRick, Bylsma, and the Penqueens HAVE to accept that it's also part of the game that an opponent has the right throw a "legal" big one on Syndy or Gena.  

And I have no problem with that.  You play the game to play the game - and that's part of the chess match.  You take my queen; I can take yours.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

In response to mattbs' comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Yah players should always be upright like giraffs.. even when they turn corners or reach for pucks.

Toews head is at a very constant hight.  It's Opricks shoulder that goes up as he leaves his feet to make the hit.

Opricks getting games for this hit and he should.

Sections
Shortcuts