Another hockey east stud getting his shot

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

Another hockey east stud getting his shot

I had heard earlier in the weak that Gustav Nyquist was called up after Holmstrom's injury and HAD to tune in to watch the Detroit-Dallas game to see how he did.  After watching this kid play at UMaine for 3 years I'm fully convinced this kid will have an excellent NHL career as his hockey smarts are off the charts.  I think Detroit has found another Swedish gem in the later rounds of the draft.

That being said I think he played solid when he was out there and recorded his first NHL point.  It was a garbage goal that Lehtonen let in but I have to say that I was impressed at how much Gus has worked on his skating since leaving UMO.  Granted he was only on the ice for about 5-6 minutes he was FLYING out there and created a couple of good chances.  I'd like to see Detroit put him out there with the big boys for a couple of shifts and give him a bit more ice time.  He's been tearing it up in the AHL this year and I believe he's a very mature player and would be on an NHL roster almost anywhere else but Detroit because of the depth.  He's got the entire package, and can play in all 3 zones.  He was utilized in every situation at UMO, PP, PK, etc.  He's got great battle intensity and at UMO would usually come out of a scrum with the puck.  He's one of those players that the puck just seems to follow around.

Sorry for the rant, just very happy to see another Black Bear in the show.  Can't wait to see what he can do when he's given more of a chance.  Detroit's got a bright future if they can keep on finding players like this in the 4th, 5th, 6th rounds of the draft.  Hats off to their scouts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Another hockey east stud getting his shot

He was a great college player and I hope he gets his shot in the pros.

It would make up for that underachieving former black bear Dustin Penner...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Nyquist had a good break out pass to start a rush, can thread a needle from the blueline and put up allot of points in Maine and AHL from what I saw. I would liken him too Wisniewski and/or Rafalski in style he plays, small but elusive definite offensive threat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rlprentiss. Show rlprentiss's posts

I would go watch him when UMaine would play Merrimack since it's right up the street from me. I have a feeling Nyquist is going to be a steal. The kids got some great talent. I thought the samething about JVR as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

In Response to Re: Another hockey east stud getting his shot:
    [QUOTE]He was a great college player and I hope he gets his shot in the pros. It would make up for that underachieving former black bear Dustin Penner...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Yeah the problem with Penner is he's got all the skill in the world, just no heart.  I think Nyquist has a lot of drive and hopefully will bring more to the table on a nightly basis.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

In Response to Re: Another hockey east stud getting his shot:
    [QUOTE]Nyquist had a good break out pass to start a rush, can thread a needle from the blueline and put up allot of points in Maine and AHL from what I saw. I would liken him too Wisniewski and/or Rafalski in style he plays, small but elusive definite offensive threat.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I can see the rafalski comparison but I would liken him more to a Zetterberg because he's a F that can play both center and wing and just has that incredible knack to see the play develop before anyone else.  Plus as you said he has that shiftiness and is tough to knock off the puck