Another Violin Solo From Vancouver

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Another Violin Solo From Vancouver

In Response to Re: Another Violin Solo From Vancouver:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Violin Solo From Vancouver : Don't worry we have our secret weapon out west, Red75,  she'll infiltrate their mechanisms.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

I've tried - it's been a futile effort.
    This post is absolutely no different then what I hear EVERY time I go out to the pub to watch hockey. This guy isn't a voice in the wilderness, his views are completely shared by the vast majority of Canucks I talk to out here. It's been six months, and I still ca't watch a hockey game in public without this crap being thrown out at me. My corner pub, where I was a regular before the playoffs as well, won't play the Bruins games, even for me, because other patrons freak out each time they're on. Seriously - they force the bartender to change the channel.

They absolutely refuse to see reality or let the loss go. And I can't see that changing any time soon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE]My corner pub, where I was a regular before the playoffs as well, won't play the Bruins games, even for me, because other patrons freak out each time they're on.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Violin Solo From Vancouver : I've tried - it's been a futile effort. This post is absolutely no different then what I hear EVERY time I go out to the pub to watch hockey. This guy isn't a voice in the wilderness, his views are completely shared by the vast majority of Canucks I talk to out here. It's been six months, and I still ca't watch a hockey game in public without this crap being thrown out at me. My corner pub, where I was a regular before the playoffs as well, won't play the Bruins games, even for me, because other patrons freak out each time they're on. Seriously - they force the bartender to change the channel. They absolutely refuse to see reality or let the loss go. And I can't see that changing any time soon.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Wow Red, that is truly sad. An entire city nearly burned down yet so many still seem willing to cling to a conspiracy theory that would make the New World Order believers scoff in disbelief. I would think that spending the late afternoon in a pub watching the Bruins was one of your favourite things to do. I know that was one of my favourite things about living in Banff years ago. It's a shame those jag offs think that refusing to watch the Bruins could somehow be helpful.  It's pitiful. I'd be embarrassed to tell someone to turn off a game because I didn't like the teams involved.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Violin Solo From Vancouver : Wow Red, that is truly sad. An entire city nearly burned down yet so many still seem willing to cling to a conspiracy theory that would make the New World Order believers scoff in disbelief. I would think that spending the late afternoon in a pub watching the Bruins was one of your favourite things to do. I know that was one of my favourite things about living in Banff years ago. It's a shame those jag offs think that refusing to watch the Bruins could somehow be helpful.  It's pitiful. I'd be embarrassed to tell someone to turn off a game because I didn't like the teams involved.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

OK, I can understand the reaction of you guys to the article, but if you want people to stick to facts, practice what you preach.  The only fires related to the  Cup Riot were cars.  Yes, buildings were damaged, but we're talking about glass doors/windows being broken and goods being stolen.  As far as I know, not a single building was set ablaze, so it was far from "the entire city nearly being burned down". 

If you're going to make an argument, make a truthful one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Violin Solo From Vancouver : OK, I can understand the reaction of you guys to the article, but if you want people to stick to facts, practice what you preach.  The only fires related to the  Cup Riot were cars.  Yes, buildings were damaged, but we're talking about glass doors/windows being broken and goods being stolen.  As far as I know, not a single building was set ablaze, so it was far from "the entire city nearly being burned down".  If you're going to make an argument, make a truthful one.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]
    Was I arguing? I hadn't realized. Thanks for your input. Are you familiar with hyperbole?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Maybe 49north is Leigh Ramsden, since he has been on this forum he has spewed just about the same drivel as Leigh.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

I'm almost positive the entire city burned down.  I saw it on the news.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Honestly, I don't see the upside to even acknowleging these idiots.  This is simply an extension of the mindless, childish crybaby antics we have seen from Montreal fans for so long.

During the Finals, when I was having my last conversation with my former friend from Vancouver, he went into comments like "Dr Recchi" and Chara "getting away" with his hit on Patches the Clown, and I realized our subsequent converations about Burrows ("what was he supposed to do?") Rome ("it was a legal hit" and "Thornton instigated it"), diving ("smart hockey") were pointless.  Its like talking to a completely mentally challenged individual who insists black is white and anything that goes wrong for him is a conspiracy.

I think the poster who made the "rich kid" analogy is spot on.  These fans are so spoiled and childish, instead of playing hockey and toughening up, they cry to every adult and then lie in the street in a fetal position.

And 49, thanks for your argument about "only cars on fire" not buildings. You didn't disappoint me.

I will spend zero time arguing with Vancouver idiots about their craziness.  They have decided the NHL shot them from the Grassy Knoll and will not hear anything else.  I don't waste time arguing with brainless fools and will spend less time reading their drivel.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Violin Solo From Vancouver : They absolutely refuse to see reality or let the loss go. And I can't see that changing any time soon.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I'd go there every Saturday night with a Bruins' hat on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe this is a good start for these boards. I would like to see more organized assaults on other teams biased blogs/boards. Fletch, you conducted yourself admirably. well done.
    Posted by Olsonic[/QUOTE]

Thanks Ols.  Like Bookboy, I can say that I have never trolled another team's website.  I don't think I have even commented on a Vancouver site.  But this argument was so over the top and absurd from a journalistic standpoint it was hard not to call them out.  Not sure if it is better to ignore them or try to blow them up, but I can't stand this preacher vs. choir discussion in Vancouver where everybody agrees that the Bruins unfairly stole the Cup, instead of blaming their own incompetent "stars".  It's just crazy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to sit idly by while uneducated people slam my home city, and claim that it was "almost burned down" (hyperbole or not), because of the ignorant actions of a few hundred drunken yobs.  The rioters left a horrific stain on the reputation of our great city, and hopefully, as Crown Counsel work their way through the cases, they'll get what's coming. 

As upset as I was about the Canucks' poor performance in the Finals, I was even more dismayed by what happened downtown that night.

Nobody ever mentions (not that I would expect it here) that somewhere in the neighbourhood of 15,000 people, mobilized by social media, came downtown the next day to clean up.

This is a very sensitive issue to many Vancouverites, even it is just a throwaway punchline for you guys.

I'm not expecting any empathy -- in fact, I'm expecting the usual reaction -- but I've got to put it out there, regardless.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It's just good old fashioned cognitive dissonance - that bit of mental gymnastics people do when they are suddenly forced to confront the fact that reality contradicts a deeply held belief.  Clearly, they say, reality is wrong.  And they go through whatever rationalization process is needed to protect and even strengthen the belief.  So - last year's Canucks were an unbeatable machine that would beat any mere team.  Only a vast conspiracy could have prevented them from winning the Cup.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sorry, but I'm not going to sit idly by while uneducated people slam my home city, and claim that it was "almost burned down" (hyperbole or not), because of the ignorant actions of a few hundred drunken yobs.  The rioters left a horrific stain on the reputation of our great city, and hopefully, as Crown Counsel work their way through the cases, they'll get what's coming.  As upset as I was about the Canucks' poor performance in the Finals, I was even more dismayed by what happened downtown that night. Nobody ever mentions (not that I would expect it here) that somewhere in the neighbourhood of 15,000 people, mobilized by social media, came downtown the next day to clean up. This is a very sensitive issue to many Vancouverites, even it is just a throwaway punchline for you guys. I'm not expecting any empathy -- in fact, I'm expecting the usual reaction -- but I've got to put it out there, regardless.
    OK. I hope it helped to get that off your chest.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sorry, but I'm not going to sit idly by while uneducated people slam my home city, and claim that it was "almost burned down" (hyperbole or not), because of the ignorant actions of a few hundred drunken yobs.  The rioters left a horrific stain on the reputation of our great city, and hopefully, as Crown Counsel work their way through the cases, they'll get what's coming.  As upset as I was about the Canucks' poor performance in the Finals, I was even more dismayed by what happened downtown that night. Nobody ever mentions (not that I would expect it here) that somewhere in the neighbourhood of 15,000 people, mobilized by social media, came downtown the next day to clean up. This is a very sensitive issue to many Vancouverites, even it is just a throwaway punchline for you guys. I'm not expecting any empathy -- in fact, I'm expecting the usual reaction -- but I've got to put it out there, regardless.

I agree completely with you about the riots 49. As a transplant to Vancouver, I took it personally as well, and was embarassed for my city. I'm one of the few people I know that fully support how the police have approached the investigation. I'd rather they take their time so they can lay charges that stick, than rush and have these idiots walk off due to poor evidence/prosecution. I'm no fan of the throw away riot comments either, because it misses a lot of the reaction to it here in Van.

That said, there are lots and lots of Canucks fans that have not gotten over the loss. I run intp them everyday, and I'm still ridiculed or heckled and made to feel uncomfortable whenever I have the audacity to wear Bruins gear into public. Not wanting to have them appear on the TV's of local sports pubs is just the tip of the iceberg for deep the resentment remains for some of these fans. I'm as a much a citizen of this town as you are, and I for one truly wish they could get over it already.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Violin Solo From Vancouver : I agree completely with you about the riots 49. As a transplant to Vancouver, I took it personally as well, and was embarassed for my city. I'm one of the few people I know that fully support how the police have approached the investigation. I'd rather they take their time so they can lay charges that stick, than rush and have these idiots walk off due to poor evidence/prosecution. I'm no fan of the throw away riot comments either, because it misses a lot of the reaction to it here in Van. That said, there are lots and lots of Canucks fans that have not gotten over the loss. I run intp them everyday, and I'm still ridiculed or heckled and made to feel uncomfortable whenever I have the audacity to wear Bruins gear into public. Not wanting to have them appear on the TV's of local sports pubs is just the tip of the iceberg for deep the resentment remains for some of these fans. I'm as a much a citizen of this town as you are, and I for one truly wish they could get over it already.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, red;  there are many,many fans who simply can't get over it.  It's a deep wound, and there are many still picking at the scab. 

That being said, I wonder if the situation was reversed, if I could get a Canucks game played on a Boston sportsbar?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Violin Solo From Vancouver : I agree with you, red;  there are many,many fans who simply can't get over it.  It's a deep wound, and there are many still picking at the scab.  That being said, I wonder if the situation was reversed, if I could get a Canucks game played on a Boston sportsbar?
    Not in the afternoon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

I agree with you 100% on the riot thing....I would be willing to bet that 99% of the idiots that were  involved in the garbage that happened after the game were not even fans. Like you said, "a few hundred drunken yobs!" And I did not know about the 15,000 people coming down the next day to help out...my hat is off to those people and they should be commended!!! Thanks for pointing that out. I admire that for sure and so should everybody on this board.  Its about community and pride for your city.

But, you have to agree that the article in question was so bias that it is actually laughable!!! Boston was the better team in a 7 game series, end of story. Better goaltending, better team defence, better offence, better coaching and for sure better team toughness....these are the reasons the Bruins won the cup last season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Violin Solo From Vancouver : I agree with you 100% on the riot thing....I would be willing to bet that 99% of the idiots that were  involved in the garbage that happened after the game were not even fans. Like you said, "a few hundred drunken yobs!" And I did not know about the 15,000 people coming down the next day to help out...my hat is off to those people and they should be commended!!! Thanks for pointing that out. I admire that for sure and so should everybody on this board.  Its about community and pride for your city. But, you have to agree that the article in question was so bias that it is actually laughable!!! Boston was the better team in a 7 game series, end of story. Better goaltending, better team defence, better offence, better coaching and for sure better team toughness....these are the reasons the Bruins won the cup last season.
    Posted by scottm50[/QUOTE]

Good post Scott. 

49 I would never say anything bad about the City of Vancouver.  It is a great city and the hooligans who took part in the riot were a small few that do not represent Vancouver hockey fans.  The conspiracy stuff however is laughable.  It was like all the years Boston blamed losses on forum ghosts and phantom penalties.  Bottom line the team just wasn't good enough.  They didn't lose because of any sort of conspiracy.  They lost because they couldn't find a way to kill off one penalty at the end of game 7 in the semi finals for example.  Championship teams get those things done.  Now admittedly it is a lot easier for me to say that 32 years later.  Hopefully some of the Canuck fans don't take 32 years to come to a similar conclusion. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Violin Solo From Vancouver : I agree with you 100% on the riot thing....I would be willing to bet that 99% of the idiots that were  involved in the garbage that happened after the game were not even fans. Like you said, "a few hundred drunken yobs!" And I did not know about the 15,000 people coming down the next day to help out...my hat is off to those people and they should be commended!!! Thanks for pointing that out. I admire that for sure and so should everybody on this board.  Its about community and pride for your city. But, you have to agree that the article in question was so bias that it is actually laughable!!! Boston was the better team in a 7 game series, end of story. Better goaltending, better team defence, better offence, better coaching and for sure better team toughness....these are the reasons the Bruins won the cup last season.
    Posted by scottm50[/QUOTE]

I agree that the article is whiny, and representative of the "can't move on" faction of Canuck fans.  As with any group of fans, we are not a homogeneous bunch, and there are moronic fans (rioters), overly fanatical fans (those who can't put last year's finals behind them, and conspiracy theorists), and those like me, who were upset about last year, but are attempting to move on, and have resolved to take things a bit less seriously from now on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Violin Solo From Vancouver : I agree that the article is whiny, and representative of the "can't move on" faction of Canuck fans.  As with any group of fans, we are not a homogeneous bunch, and there are moronic fans (rioters), overly fanatical fans (those who can't put last year's finals behind them, and conspiracy theorists), and those like me, who were upset about last year, but are attempting to move on, and have resolved to take things a bit less seriously from now on.

that's why in my post I mentioned you.  You can be objective.
    As for the rioters those are not hockey fans,  those are the same types that riot at G7 , G10 or any of the world leaders getting together at an event.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I should know better.  I need a lobotomy now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Violin Solo From Vancouver : I agree that the article is whiny, and representative of the "can't move on" faction of Canuck fans.  As with any group of fans, we are not a homogeneous bunch, and there are moronic fans (rioters), overly fanatical fans (those who can't put last year's finals behind them, and conspiracy theorists), and those like me, who were upset about last year, but are attempting to move on, and have resolved to take things a bit less seriously from now on.
    Really? This is you moving on? The same guy who "won't sit idly by while uneducated people slam my city(hyperbole or not)"...........yeah, the therapy is doing wonders.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

He missed a few things.  Like the fact that Shanahan is related to fellow whose second cousin's best friend gets her hair done across the street from the Garden.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Another Violin Solo From Vancouver:
    [QUOTE]One of the funniest I have seen...let's see some comments folks... http://www.fightingforstanley.ca/vancouver/some-facts-about-the-bruins-the-canucks-and-head-shotsdirty-play/
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I just printed off this article & used it as a toiletry. The stuff I put on this was worth more! What a nut job!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Violin Solo From Vancouver : Really? This is you moving on? The same guy who "won't sit idly by while uneducated people slam my city(hyperbole or not)"...........yeah, the therapy is doing wonders.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

My comment above related to the CITY of Vancouver -- the article (which I don't support) referred to the team.

Please note the difference, and just sayin, your sarcasm and hyperbole gets a bit old post after post after post.....

Sections
Shortcuts