Anton Khudobin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Anton Khudobin

Anton Khudobin
    Birth: May,7/86
    Home:  Kazakhstan
    Drafted: 2004 206th overall by the Minnesota Wild

Traded to the Boston Bruins Feb,28; 2011 for Jeff Penner and Mikko Lehtonen

Khudobin began his hockey career in his native Kazakhstan, but moved to Russia at a young age and joined the Metallurg hockey school in Magnitogorsk in order to develop his game at a higher level. He was a consistent starter for Russia's national junior squad, earning a gold medal at the 2004 IIHF World Under-18 Championships and silver medals at the 2005 and 2006 IIHF World Junior Ice Hockey Championships. He played as a backup for HC Metallurg before deciding to move to North America and play in the Canadian major-junior system.[1] Khudobin played with the Saskatoon Blades of the Western Hockey League for the 2005-06 season, and helped them to their best regular-season finish in over a decade and backstopped them past the first round of the playoffs for the first time in six years. In 2006 he returned to Russia and took over back-up duties with Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the Russian Superleague (RSL), helping the team to the league championship.

2007-08: Signed to a three-year entry-level contract by the Wild. Played most of the season with the Texas Wildcatters (ECHL) and was stellar. Posted a 20-1-4 record, 1.98 GAA and 0.934 save percentage on his way to being named the league's Goaltender of the Year. Called up to Houston (AHL) and played well, going 2-2-1 with a 1.99 GAA and 0.911 save percentage. In 2009-10 Khudobin made the full-time jump to the Aeros, and made his NHL debut for the Wild on February 4, 2010, replacing the injured Josh Harding in a 4-2 win over the Edmonton Oilers. He made his first NHL start two days later on February 6, 2010, stopping 38 of 39 shots in a 2-1 win over the Philadelphia Flyers.

Following a September 24, 2010 preseason knee injury to Harding, the Wild's full-time back-up goalender, Khudobin was expected to take over that role for the Wild. However, the Wild opted instead to sign Jose Theodore to a one year contract, leaving Khudobin in the number-three position. Soon after the signing Khudobin was returned to Houston.

Khudobin was recalled by the Wild on January 8, 2011 to back-up Theodore after starter Niklas Bäckström suffered a strained hip flexor. On January 12, Theodore suffered a similar injury, and Khudobin replaced him in the third period of a 5-1 loss to the Nashville Predators. After a 4-1 loss to the visiting Colorado Avalanche on January 14, Khudobin posted his first career NHL shutout, making 32 saves in a 4-0 win over the visiting Vancouver Canucks. He finished the season strong and on July 1, 2011, Khudobin signed a two-year contract extension with the Bruins. He is expected to serve as the organization's third goaltender.

Khudobin is small at 5'10, but is an intense competitor with a lot of confidence who can both play solidly and make the spectacular save. He has a better glove than stick. His biggest weakness right now is consistency over the long haul, and playing his best hockey in the biggest games. Khudobin has a very similar style to Tim Thomas. He's on the smaller side, at 5'10, and has a similar body type to the Bruins' starting netminder. His play favors using his athleticism to make up for lack of style, making for some spectacular-looking saves at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIa73cVOdto&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me-NUKpDY5o

To get a little more insight on Khudobin’s eclectic demeanor and personality, be sure to www.startribune.com/sports/113857889.html">read this column by Jim Souhan of the Star Tribune. It’s a great piece on the “different” but effective style that Khudobin plays. Below you will find the highlights from both games, courtesy of the NHL.com website, along with a few more scouting notes.

Khudobin is an energetic and animated goaltender that plays the traditional Vladislav Tretiak style. His stance is very narrow and upright and his balance point is centered in the middle of his skates. Because of this, he’s considered a goalie that relies on solid positioning. He displayed quick feet in both games, but his overall footwork was very loud and hyperactive. He does a great job of scrambling to cover loose pucks around his crease area and he does like to challenge shooters with an active stick.

Khudobin’s style mimics and mirrors a lot of the same traits you’ll find in Evgeni Nabokov’s game. As such, he will appear non-traditional and unconventional, but in actuality has a refined and effective butterfly style. He’ll also stand up when possible, which allows him to economize his movements and conserve energy. The key is to realize that Khudobin is still a fairly raw-skilled prospect that will steadily improve his ability to read plays, absorb shots and direct pucks to less dangerous areas.

Khudobin’s main areas of improvement would be the main elements that are found with goalies that are NHL-ready. They would include rebound control, displaying patience and proper balance on quick-developing plays and then eliminating aerial angles on rapidly-rising shots. But he clearly has the quickness, positioning, energy and durability to thrive in the NHL.

As you watch the highlights from Friday’s and Sunday’s game, you’ll find that his footwork, positioning and balance improves as he logs more minutes. This is what “getting into a rhythm” is all about for a goaltender. The more shots he faces, the more comfortable he gets in the crease and the better his mechanics become. Because of this, expect his next game to be one in which he continues to display improved skills. (Hmm this paragraph reminds me of someone on here saying pretty close to the same thing about a certain Tuukka Rask doesn't it?) Can't remember who; but he's obviously pretty smart. Wink

Overall, you have to be excited about the bounce-back performance Khudobin had against the Canucks. It’s a great display of his mental toughness and rising confidence. He’s a very capable Russian netminder that is clearly capable of evolving, albeit slowly, into a top-notch NHL goaltender. He will need some big-time opportunities and a team that’s willing to be patient as he evolves, but because he has displayed solid mental toughness in his two short stints with the Wild (his first one came last year), Khudobin has a lot of potential.

I think PC was very smart to hang on to this guy! Him & Rask should make a decent combo. Even if he just becomes a very capable backup he'll be an asset.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Anton Khudobin

Nice piece, night ! And a good player for you to pick being a goalie yourself. I'd like to see more of him as I've only watched him a couple of times when he was with the Wild. But this helps ^^^^^.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Nice info, Nite.  You never know when a goalie might start to stop the puck, so I don't pay much attentiont to his age.  Any time Tretiak is mentioned in an article, it's worth keeping an eye on the player, even if it is only in style!

Thanks for doing the research, and not just going to HF and copying what they think.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Thanks Nite, good post and good indications as to why Chiarelli thinks Khudobin is vital as Timmy ages. The earlier posts on Goteberg[ sp.] and the young goalies in the pipeline demonstrate how Chiarelli has a strong" building the team" commitment. IMO Providence will be much stronger this year, and any call-ups will be much better prepared and skilled

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Anton Khudobin:
    [QUOTE]! Him & Rask should make a decent combo. Even if he just becomes a very capable backup he'll be an asset.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Do you really think there's a chance they become a combo?  If I remember right, Khudobin's contract calls for one-way only in Year 2 or something like that?  It sounded like he had a safety valve if it looked like he'd end up in the minors for 2 years?  If you match that with Rask's development, he's (Rask) not going to sit on the bench for the next 2 years in Boston- he'll be more interested in moving on, I think.

It just seems unlikely that Thomas would be completely gone in 2 seasons, which is what would have to happen for both Khudobin and Rask to wind up as partners.  I see one of them not with the team in 2012-13.

Also, as a goaltender, I'm still not exactly sure what they are getting at with the style issue.  First it sounds like Khudobin has a non-style like Thomas, and then they go on to say he's similar to Tretiak but still has to rely on athleticism.  That doesn't square with me.

By the way, this isnt a criticism of your report- it sounds like two different sources back to back that dont jive in my addled old head.

As well, the 2 youtube saves were good saves, but nothing that I would call typical of a "style."  The first one was a normal move to the left every goalie should make and the second was a desperation off a poor rebound that again, is not all that uncommon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Anton Khudobin:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Anton Khudobin : Do you really think there's a chance they become a combo?  If I remember right, Khudobin's contract calls for one-way only in Year 2 or something like that?  It sounded like he had a safety valve if it looked like he'd end up in the minors for 2 years?  If you match that with Rask's development, he's (Rask) not going to sit on the bench for the next 2 years in Boston- he'll be more interested in moving on, I think. It just seems unlikely that Thomas would be completely gone in 2 seasons, which is what would have to happen for both Khudobin and Rask to wind up as partners.  I see one of them not with the team in 2012-13. Also, as a goaltender, I'm still not exactly sure what they are getting at with the style issue.  First it sounds like Khudobin has a non-style like Thomas, and then they go on to say he's similar to Tretiak but still has to rely on athleticism.  That doesn't square with me. By the way, this isnt a criticism of your report- it sounds like two different sources back to back that dont jive in my addled old head. As well, the 2 youtube saves were good saves, but nothing that I would call typical of a "style."  The first one was a normal move to the left every goalie should make and the second was a desperation off a poor rebound that again, is not all that uncommon.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Wow! I did not know this. If that's the case then it could very well be that either TT or Rask goes. I guess that depends on how Anton performs down in the A.

The info did come from two different sources; but they were a couple of seasons apart. So; maybe he changed his style because of a goalie coach or something.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I'm still not seeing why everyone is so high on him.  There is little to suggest he has a huge upside.  As well, the "Russian factor" which he almost pulled this year, tells me we have a small window to evaluate him and make a decision.  Like Soxfan pointed out it's unlikely he'll stick around short term to play in the minors, or long term to be a back-up.  It seems to me to be 3 pick 2 situation, with the other two having a huge head start.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Two different sources, one saying he's athletic, the other saying he looks athletic but is actually positional.  Truth is, all goalies have to have both, even Thomas.  Sounds like he could be fun to watch.  After this season the Bruins will make their goalie future decisions.  Thomas's no-movement expires, Rask's contract expires and Khudobin switches to one-way deal.  This is quite intentional.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Not sure what your 3 pick 2 means SCOOTER, but IMO this coming year will be a transition year to Rask. There are a number of indicators that this has been Chiarelli's plan all along, which Timmy spoiled by winning the Vezina. Having won the vezina, Timmy's value is as high as it could be, and the possibility of a trade, for a stud defender or sniper could be in the management thought process. This perspective could be muddled if Claude put's his stubborn hat on, and fails to cultivate Rask's capabilities. If that happens then their will be turmoil in the Bruins hierarchy, particularly if Khudobin does his job, in Providence. First and foremost, this is a business that has reached a pinnacle sooner, rather than later. Tim Thomas is a valued performer, plus a valued trade chip if Tuuka and Khudobin perform positively, as some expect.  The Bruins will not have access to high draft picks for a while, or stud performers, unless they come in a trade for a valued performer like Timmy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Excellent nite.  Especially useful for a guy that most of us know little about.  This is an insurance policy on Rask, and it seems like a pretty smart one in terms of cost and potential upside.  Hope we can keep him out of the KHL.

Thanks. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

Sad to say, but Thomas will not be a Bruin by 2013.  Rask will be #1.  Period.  Get used to it. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Sad to say, but Thomas will not be a Bruin by 2013.  Rask will be #1.  Period.  Get used to it. 
    Posted by BorisTheGorilla[/QUOTE]

Can I have this weeks lottery numbers please! When you speak in absolutes it makes your input null & void!

I would have to think that TT has become Boston's Martin Brodeur. TT has something that Marty doesn't. A Conn Smyth! I don't think that TT isn't going anywhere until his NMC is over which is in 2013; but if he continues to perform it could end up being Rask that gets moved. There's no question that PC realizes his predicament; hence the reason he hung on to Khudobin.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Not sure what your 3 pick 2 means SCOOTER, but IMO this coming year will be a transition year to Rask. There are a number of indicators that this has been Chiarelli's plan all along, which Timmy spoiled by winning the Vezina. Having won the vezina, Timmy's value is as high as it could be, and the possibility of a trade, for a stud defender or sniper could be in the management thought process. This perspective could be muddled if Claude put's his stubborn hat on, and fails to cultivate Rask's capabilities. If that happens then their will be turmoil in the Bruins hierarchy, particularly if Khudobin does his job, in Providence. First and foremost, this is a business that has reached a pinnacle sooner, rather than later. Tim Thomas is a valued performer, plus a valued trade chip if Tuuka and Khudobin perform positively, as some expect.  The Bruins will not have access to high draft picks for a while, or stud performers, unless they come in a trade for a valued performer like Timmy
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]
    Rask is going to have to really be something to make TT expendable now! I just can't see the Bruins biggest hero since probably Ray Bourque getting moved anywhere one yr removed from winning a cup; 2 Vezina's; 2 Crozier's a Jenninings & a Conn Smythe. I know what you're saying Bogie & I do agree with your thought process to a point; but I'm right back to where I was last summer.

I don't want TT going anywhere until I see more from Rask. Do I think Rask will be great? You bet I do; but that doesn't mean he will be. What you may see is if Rask doesn't show a lot of improvement this season. PC may not offer a heck of a lot to Rask. Rask will still be an RFA. Maybe PC will hope someone else will sign him & it'll give PC a chance to use one of his picks he gets in return for a legit starter if Khudobin isn't the real deal. Maybe PC will go after a Cory S. in Vancouver. If he's still backing up Mr. pump my tires.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

It really all comes down to TT's health.  This year you got to see how he performed with something to prove, in top shape and everything falling his way.  The year before, you had the exact opposite... I dont know how much the injury affected him but his style is so physical and athletic, its fair to say that a little bit of injury could hurt him significantly.

So, if the B's get anything close to what they did out of TT last year, he has to stay in Boston. Im sure he will stay in shape; the question is whether there will be injury. We dont know.

Either way, outside of a significant injury to TT I don't see him leaving.  I just don't see PC trading a guy like that with the cult status he has right now.

PC did the right thing going for depth with a good prospect like Khudobin, but my feeling/guess is either he or Rask are long gone in 12-13.  Rask might bring back a very key addition in a deal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]Not sure what your 3 pick 2 means SCOOTER, but IMO this coming year will be a transition year to Rask. There are a number of indicators that this has been Chiarelli's plan all along, which Timmy spoiled by winning the Vezina. Having won the vezina, Timmy's value is as high as it could be, and the possibility of a trade, for a stud defender or sniper could be in the management thought process. This perspective could be muddled if Claude put's his stubborn hat on, and fails to cultivate Rask's capabilities. If that happens then their will be turmoil in the Bruins hierarchy, particularly if Khudobin does his job, in Providence. First and foremost, this is a business that has reached a pinnacle sooner, rather than later. Tim Thomas is a valued performer, plus a valued trade chip if Tuuka and Khudobin perform positively, as some expect.  The Bruins will not have access to high draft picks for a while, or stud performers, unless they come in a trade for a valued performer like Timmy
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

I just meant there are three goalies and two spots.  I don't see any of them being mainstays in Providence.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]It really all comes down to TT's health.  This year you got to see how he performed with something to prove, in top shape and everything falling his way.  The year before, you had the exact opposite... I dont know how much the injury affected him but his style is so physical and athletic, its fair to say that a little bit of injury could hurt him significantly. So, if the B's get anything close to what they did out of TT last year, he has to stay in Boston. Im sure he will stay in shape; the question is whether there will be injury. We dont know. Either way, outside of a significant injury to TT I don't see him leaving.  I just don't see PC trading a guy like that with the cult status he has right now. PC did the right thing going for depth with a good prospect like Khudobin, but my feeling/guess is either he or Rask are long gone in 12-13.  Rask might bring back a very key addition in a deal.

Nicely said! And I do agree with your sentiments about an injury for Timmy. He's 2 yrs off of turning 40. I can speak from experience ;your body just doesn't heal as quickly as it once did. I'm not in the shape of these athletes; but I'm not out of shape either.

PC may have had Timmy in mind as to who was going to go when he picked up Anton; but I have to say PC really has to take another look. And he may even be cursing TT under his breath; because he may really thrown a wrench in his wheels.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Anton Khudobin : Do you really think there's a chance they become a combo?  If I remember right, Khudobin's contract calls for one-way only in Year 2 or something like that?  It sounded like he had a safety valve if it looked like he'd end up in the minors for 2 years?  If you match that with Rask's development, he's (Rask) not going to sit on the bench for the next 2 years in Boston- he'll be more interested in moving on, I think. It just seems unlikely that Thomas would be completely gone in 2 seasons, which is what would have to happen for both Khudobin and Rask to wind up as partners.  I see one of them not with the team in 2012-13. Also, as a goaltender, I'm still not exactly sure what they are getting at with the style issue.  First it sounds like Khudobin has a non-style like Thomas, and then they go on to say he's similar to Tretiak but still has to rely on athleticism.  That doesn't square with me. By the way, this isnt a criticism of your report- it sounds like two different sources back to back that dont jive in my addled old head. As well, the 2 youtube saves were good saves, but nothing that I would call typical of a "style."  The first one was a normal move to the left every goalie should make and the second was a desperation off a poor rebound that again, is not all that uncommon.

First off, great post Nite.  I think Khudobin will become a vital part of the Bruins goaltending tandem in 3 to 4 years.  I think by year 4, Timmy will hang them up, but only if he isn't playing up to his standards,  and it will be time for the next great Bruins goaltending tandem. 

Secondly, I feel like the second year was a 1 way deal because they wanted to guarntee Khudobin that he'd be making at least an NHL salary by year two of the deal.  Personally, I don't think Timmy wil be done for at least another 3 to 4 years.  Even if Khudobin doesn't make the NHL team, he can still play in the AHL he will just make the NHL salary, which I think is $850,000 compared to a fraction of that for an AHL salary.