Any point

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Any point

At this point is there any reason to do anything until Nov. where PC will have had a chance to see what he has and see what he can part with and what he can keep? What works well together? What has value? Or does he lose value in players by doing that and some are worth more now after last season? Could he just wait until Nov figure out what he has and make trades that make sense? Can he start with out a RW player scorer? Does he get penalized in anyway for waiting till the season starts? Is that kind of what we are looking at? How much cap space does he need at the beginning of the season and who is the best to shed before the season starts? Did he sign everyone to a contract so he could do that? Can he start the season over the cap and shed it once it starts? 

I guess with the silence I just figured we would not see anything happen this summer and I had questions how that would affect things?

Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Patrice Bergeron traditions die hard in Boston

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Any point

I think something HAS to happen since Krug and Smith still aren't signed, right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think something HAS to happen since Krug and Smith still aren't signed, right?

[/QUOTE]

CapGeek has them being a little more than a million over the cap and they have Krug and Smith still to sign. I'd say PC has to make a move.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

November will have many teams looking for additional veteran players like Kelly. Generally equal value either monetarily or skill wise. Essentially not much in return but prospects. A trade will be made earlier like September IMO. Money will be needed in March. 

"Don't judge me monkey" 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

How much do they need to sign Krug, Smith and get under the Cap?

Who would be good enough to trade to make us compliant? Meaning meet our financial issues but not effect the opportunity to evaluate the talent? Could that be what PC is struggling with? A purely financial choice? 

Like would Caron or Bartowski free them up? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

November will have many teams looking for additional veteran players like Kelly. Generally equal value either monetarily or skill wise. Essentially not much in return but prospects. A trade will be made earlier like September IMO. Money will be needed in March. 

[/QUOTE]

Money is needed at the start of the season too. $800k over the cap already, Smith and Krug need to be signed, some cap space for adjustments still needed for the season. Going to be very tight indeed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Sigh.

I don't understand why we're coming back to this again.  BFinNJ is right to the extent that yes, they still need to sign Krug and Smith.  That's a thing that needs to happen.  When they do this, the Cap Geek number will reflect 13 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 2 goalies, so immediately you know the number is inflated.  They might carry 7 D but not 8.  One of the forwards listed is Savard.  When the season starts, they can be under simply by listing him as LTIR.  Krug and Smith have limited leverage.  Their agents will howl and blow, but in the end, both will show up for camp under the best short term deals they could make. 

Not much needs to happen.  PC can make room whenever he chooses.

Are you not entertained?!?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

that is what I thought you said earlier book so that is why I posed the question. 

So in reality he does not really have to do anything at all for a long while...or is there a magic cut off where he really will have his back against the wall

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I'm with book. He doesn't have to trade anyone to be cap complaint. 800k over the cap according to cap geek, but 600k is for Florek and he isn't making the team. Then you have Savard's LTIR, so really there is 3.2 in room. That's enough to get Krug and smith done if they sign one year deals. I think they'll move someone because they have 8dmen that deserve to play every night 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sigh.

I don't understand why we're coming back to this again.  BFinNJ is right to the extent that yes, they still need to sign Krug and Smith.  That's a thing that needs to happen.  When they do this, the Cap Geek number will reflect 13 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 2 goalies, so immediately you know the number is inflated.  They might carry 7 D but not 8.  One of the forwards listed is Savard.  When the season starts, they can be under simply by listing him as LTIR.  Krug and Smith have limited leverage.  Their agents will howl and blow, but in the end, both will show up for camp under the best short term deals they could make. 

Not much needs to happen.  PC can make room whenever he chooses.

[/QUOTE]

Book you know this: Savard money - over the cap = $3.2mill with which to sign Smith and Krug. Not great.

once signed the B's will have exactly 12 forwards (-savard but +caron....boo) 8 D and 2 goalies

they will likely run with 7 D as usual so perhaps Bart can be moved, so - savard and Bart = $4.45mill.

that just might be enough to cover Smith and Krug if their combined salaries are under $2.5mill each.

Plus there probably should be $1millish for seasonal moves.

No things are not rosy cap wise. But does it matter right at this very moment? No.....we can revisit this in September.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

jm, Krug and Smith have no leverage.  None.  They aren't even RFAs, really.  They're EL still, which greatly limits their bargaining power.  I'm going to guess that the reason they're not signed is that Chiarelli has told them he wants to be fair to them and give them as much of a raise as they deserve within the limits he's under.  So they're being patient to see what else might shake out.  If nothing shakes out, look for both guys to get relatively small bumps for a year.  If they deal Kelly, maybe they get enough flex to bridge one or both for 2-3 years.  In this scenario, $4.45 is enough.

They won't need a mil free for seasonal moves because once you start converting to real dollars, it's not that hard to accommodate a couple of weeks of Cunningham playing on the 4th line or Trotman on the third pairing.  If the mil is for moves, then they can create room.  Chiarelli's done it before, and I'm sure he'll find a way to do it again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

At least a defenseman will be moved, they won't carry 8.  Caron is also likely out.  Some moves WILL happen before season opener.  I'd be fine if that's all they do and they sign Smith and Krug and give young player sa chance.  Assess the situation at a later date to see if more talent is needed.  But I don't see dramatic trades or big signings, and I'm good with that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Book, I think you are dreaming if you believe Smith and Krug are going to get EL money. Anywhere south of 2 mill each is unlikely in my opinion. I refuse to believe PC would be dumb enough to play hard ball with the two and burn off a year of RFA by sticking it to them, creating bitterness along the way. That would be very short sighted. This is not Caron and Bartowski we are talking about but a 50 point second liner and a 40 point Dman. How much do these kind of players go for on the market these days anyway. If they got their "fair share" they would be making 3-4 mill.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:
    [QUOTE]

At least a defenseman will be moved, they won't carry 8.  Caron is also likely out.  Some moves WILL happen before season opener.  I'd be fine if that's all they do and they sign Smith and Krug and give young player sa chance.  Assess the situation at a later date to see if more talent is needed.  But I don't see dramatic trades or big signings, and I'm good with that.

[/QUOTE]

Caron and Bart are the likely candidates but getting rid of them does not bring any cap relief unfortunately.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Book, I think you are dreaming if you believe Smith and Krug are going to get EL money. Anywhere south of 2 mill each is unlikely in my opinion. I refuse to believe PC would be dumb enough to play hard ball with the two and burn off a year of RFA by sticking it to them, creating bitterness along the way. That would be very short sighted. This is not Caron and Bartowski we are talking about but a 50 point second liner and a 40 point Dman. How much do these kind of players go for on the market these days anyway. If they got their "fair share" they would be making 3-4 mill.

[/QUOTE]

I'm more with book on this one. I think if they were real RFAs smith would get 2.5, and Krug 3. Giving them one year bumps to 1.5 isn't hardball, it's generous. Playing hard ball would be sticking to the qualifying offers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm more with book on this one. I think if they were real RFAs smith would get 2.5, and Krug 3. Giving them one year bumps to 1.5 isn't hardball, it's generous. Playing hard ball would be sticking to the qualifying offers.

[/QUOTE]

Thing is though, $1.5mill represents an actual paycut for Krug (with bonuses $1.704mill) and barely a raise for Smith ($900k). Not much better than a qualifying offer for either. I am not sold on the idea that this is option A.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Like I said, jm, $4.45 should be enough.  I'm looking at $2.25M for Krug and maybe $1.8M for Smith - that's a more than half a mil in guaranteed salary for Krug above what he got including bonuses he had to earn last year, and that's 100% raise for Smith.  That's not hardball at all.  And if they get a little miffy about it at this stage, you still have at least one more contract with them as RFAs where you can kiss and make up.  Besides, "fair share" is always a mix of production and contract status.  That's just the way it is.  And those numbers leave you $400K for call-ups, short term injuries, etc. etc.  More than enough to start the year with.

Here's the question that Crowls's research on this didn't answer, and a quick review of the EL language in CBA hasn't given me a clear answer either: If Krug and Smith are still Group 1 players and subject to the EL provisions of the CBA, does that mean their salaries are capped at $925K, but they can be compensated with bonuses?  Now, wouldn't that be intriguing.  It would mean the Bruins need only $1.85M in salary cap room for the two players, but they could pad those deals with bonuses you would expect these two guys to hit.  It would mean another bonus carry over for next year - ouch - but it would give them a lot of flexibility this year, including perhaps trading Kelly to cover the $1.85 and not used the LTIR so that they have a bigger war chest for deadline acquisitions.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment: 

I'm with book. He doesn't have to trade anyone to be cap complaint. 800k over the cap according to cap geek, but 600k is for Florek and he isn't making the team.

Why isn't Florek making the team ?

"And those numbers leave you $400K for call-ups, short term injuries, etc. etc. More than enough to start the year with."

That is not enough. I don't think PC is going into the season with under $1M...no way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think PC is going into the season with under $1M...no way.

[/QUOTE]

Agree with his. $1mill is the comfortable mark.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's the question that Crowls's research on this didn't answer, and a quick review of the EL language in CBA hasn't given me a clear answer either: If Krug and Smith are still Group 1 players and subject to the EL provisions of the CBA, does that mean their salaries are capped at $925K, but they can be compensated with bonuses?  Now, wouldn't that be intriguing.  It would mean the Bruins need only $1.85M in salary cap room for the two players, but they could pad those deals with bonuses you would expect these two guys to hit.  It would mean another bonus carry over for next year - ouch - but it would give them a lot of flexibility this year, including perhaps trading Kelly to cover the $1.85 and not used the LTIR so that they have a bigger war chest for deadline acquisitions.

[/QUOTE]

Very good point. It would be interesting if it went down that way. Anyone happen to know the rules off hand?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think PC is going into the season with under $1M...no way.

[/QUOTE]

Agree with his. $1mill is the comfortable mark.

[/QUOTE]

Why?  Why do you need $1M?  Why have $1M in dead money just sitting there "in case"?

[object HTMLDivElement]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Yes why is Florek not making the team...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

And here is the second go-round on the cap situation. :-/ Good grief, when is the next , "who do the Bruins trade to get cap space?" thread?

We have already discussed this.

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

We are not discussing who gets traded. We are discussing a scenario if PC can do nothing or when will he have to do something. We are talk about the anti trade conversation.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:[QUOTE]  I don't think PC is going into the season with under $1M...no way. [/QUOTE]

Agree with his. $1mill is the comfortable mark. [/QUOTE]

I don't really think $1M is comfortable, I would rather have around $2.5M.