Anyone else concerned with the speed at which these players are signing deals overseas?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsLegion. Show BruinsLegion's posts

Re: Anyone else concerned with the speed at which these players are signing deals overseas?

Kelvana, Days-of-Orr, Shupe,

It's likely I wasn't clearly stating my cause for concern. It's not so much that I'm surprised they are doing it... or on its legitimacy as a move. It's rather the "speed" at which it occurred I was trying to take a temperature on.

Do you guys remember it happening this quickly the last time? Less than a week after the announcement and players are already signed, sealed, and delivered to clubs and planning their flights.

I guess it could be chalked up to them being better prepared or having learned lessons from the last time, but it just caught me off guard a bit that it happened so damned fast.

Shupe,

I understand others may be fans of his, or what have you, and I'm glad to hear you enjoy his contributions.  But your description in defense about how he can "carve anyone up at any time"... yeah, thanks but no thanks.

I like a good healthy debate as much as the next guy, on topic, but I'll keep my settings the way they are... lifes too short for dealing with bs like that.  Deal with enough of that garbage in my day-to-day so I cut it out where can (usually the stuff that doesn't affect my paycheck).

Thanks for the 411 though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Re: Anyone else concerned with the speed at which these players are signing deals overseas?

"How can Bettman keep a straight face?"

Easily...the man is incapable of smiling. He makes Richard Nixon look like Smiley McSmiles.

I'm glad the players have a place to play competitvely during what seems like the umpteenth labor dispute in recent memory.

I didn't realize that NHL actually meant Neverending Hockey Litigation

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BruinsLegion's comment:

Kelvana, Days-of-Orr, Shupe,

It's likely I wasn't clearly stating my cause for concern. It's not so much that I'm surprised they are doing it... or on its legitimacy as a move. It's rather the "speed" at which it occurred I was trying to take a temperature on.

Do you guys remember it happening this quickly the last time? Less than a week after the announcement and players are already signed, sealed, and delivered to clubs and planning their flights.

I guess it could be chalked up to them being better prepared or having learned lessons from the last time, but it just caught me off guard a bit that it happened so damned fast.

Shupe,

I understand others may be fans of his, or what have you, and I'm glad to hear you enjoy his contributions.  But your description in defense about how he can "carve anyone up at any time"... yeah, thanks but no thanks.

I like a good healthy debate as much as the next guy, on topic, but I'll keep my settings the way they are... lifes too short for dealing with bs like that.  Deal with enough of that garbage in my day-to-day so I cut it out where can (usually the stuff that doesn't affect my paycheck).

Thanks for the 411 though.

To each his own.  I deal with massive amounts of human BS each day as well(Cop Life) and also spent the majority of my life in a locker room where whoever made the best carve got the best laugh.  I can see people not liking his rants...I get that...but he also has a quality hockey brain and is the leader in the destruction of troll nation.  Whatever keeps you happy.  I'm sure we will debate many topics down the line.  Its all in fun and the reason most come on here. 

Cheers

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

bruinslegion... welcome to the board you made my day by putting NAS in his place. He and a couple on here think they are holier than thou. You will learn them on your own, the type of ppl who would try an pull senority on a blog. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

isla-  If NAS packed it in I likely wouldn't come on here as much.  I respect and enjoy everyones blogs and truly believe that this has to be the most knowledgeable hockey fan base going.  NAS knows his stuff and is entertainment for me.  We also agree on a lot of topics.  The one's we dont(like NHLPA vs NHL) we can hammer each other and still respect each others opinion.  I find too many get sensitive over nothing.

Actually Shupe, me likes NAS! I like Chowda too! As for monties, I never met one.  I know this I am pleased you are now contributing again.  The "New" board technology sucks, the lack of participation by the mainstay posters has to do with the lockout primarily.  

BTW Dez, although not on this thread, I want to thank you for the stream threads to watch juniior hockey.  

It would be better if there were better referees in American football, but at least the players are participating in the sport! Heh?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

NAS- What are players to do?  This is a way for the players to continue to play...essentially a training camp over seas.  All I wanna know is your thought on these bone head owners giving huge contracts right up to lock out day and then wanting them all to reduce salary.  How anyone can argue that their side is crazy.  I get the owners own and the players are millionare spoiled babies.  But the players are signing deals made to them by the owners.  How many signed in the last 24hrs before the lockout.  Its crazy.  How can Bettman keep a straight face?

I bet the owners were killing themselves laughing at the stupidity of any player who signed a deal in the face of the lockout.  The owners know there is no way under the sun that these guys take the ice without a contract rollback.  So they say, "Look, the team has decided to agree to your terms."  The player signs, thinking he's the king because he got the contract he wanted.  When the lockout is over, and the owners roll back the salaries, the players contract will be much more like the one the owner wanted originally.

I see it as intelligent on the part of the owner, and incredibly foolish on the part of the players that signed within a few weeks of September 15th.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

The way I look at it. I belong to two unions and just over a year go. I know it sounds confusing but i have two PT jobs both unionise. We just settle two contracts with one short negoiation talks and other a year in half ( but this work place we the employees cannot strike) hence no strike.

If I had to go on strike for both jobs yes i would have no choice but find  income elsewhere but still fully support the unions.

I know we are dealing with million dollar hockey players who can afford time off but the benefit is they will stay in shape incase a contract is finalize. The only con i see is injury and marketing other leagues around the world, while the NHL is looking like a another failed season.

But to answer the ? yes i am very concerned about the issues with the NHLPA and owners.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Just read seaobrien nixon comments LOL.  I am not a crook arms up in the air. Good one man on the NHL also. Anyone want to play backgammon during the NHL hockey season or chess ?

I am thinking about starting a backgammon pro league and getting some replacement referees for watching for cheaters.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

and there you go Shupe and everyone that was confused as why the owners are signing the big deals before the old CBA.  Thank you Mr Shot !

Not-a-Shot wrtote:

I bet the owners were killing themselves laughing at the stupidity of any player who signed a deal in the face of the lockout.  The owners know there is no way under the sun that these guys take the ice without a contract rollback.  So they say, "Look, the team has decided to agree to your terms."  The player signs, thinking he's the king because he got the contract he wanted.  When the lockout is over, and the owners roll back the salaries, the players contract will be much more like the one the owner wanted originally.

I see it as intelligent on the part of the owner, and incredibly foolish on the part of the players that signed within a few weeks of September 15th.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

and for anyone thinking this thread was me , it's not ,  he wrItes better than me.

As for the nickname it is kind of the same and asked why on your first post but you never replied.

On another note it's funny how everyone takes the easy way out when discussing player salary and how it's the owners fault.  Did you ever stop and think what the player's demands were before signing a contract ?  The agents also have nothing to do with the rise of salaries ,  right ? Lastly do you think hockey players look at the other major sports and compare what they're making in the NFL, MLB and also NBA ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsLegion. Show BruinsLegion's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

and for anyone thinking this thread was me , it's not ,  he wrotes better than me.

As for the nickname it is kind of the same and asked why on your first post but you never replied.

On another note it's funny how everyone takes the easy way out when discussing player salary and how it's the owners fault.  Did you ever stop and think what the player's demands were before signing a contract ?  The agents also have nothing to do with the rise of salaries ,  right ? Lastly do you think hockey players look at the other major sports and compare what they're making in the NFL, MLB and also NBA ?

Hi BsLegion,

Not to nitpick, but you didn't ask me anything in my first post... you wrote  "Nice nickname, sounds familiar.  As for the lockout , it's become the norm now in professional sports. It's won't be last and I'll still be watching hockey (and the other sports)."

Where is there a question in that post?  I took it as a slight ribbing, which is fine, and ignored it.

If you want a response as to my naming convention, I'll repeat what I wrote to NAS...  I'm a new member registering, I put in a screenname and it took at as not being used by another member...  how am I supposed to know while registering that another member has a name something like it?  Or about who is considered a "legend" of the board if I'm new to it?

As for the player salary points... I'm with you.  It's all sides that have created this mess.  Everyone pegs the Owners as needing to police themselves... but how exactly do they do that when they are sued for collusion if they try to agree on a reasonable limit and have agents pushing to break the bank on every contract?  Someone responded that collusion is only if they actively get together and agree to limits and such.  Well how else could they possibly do it?  Mind-meld?  If they can't agree with each other, then they are always in the state of competition where they don't know who is going to be "stupid" and lay out big money, so they end up doing it themselves so they don't lose out on the talent.

Small market can't do that... but big market can AND are expected to by their fans (as we well know).

Not to say it's all on the players either... it's just owned on all sides and I don't see why common sense never prevails (particularly when they all end up creating a CBA everyone knew they'd end up with in the first place).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If you're registering to post somewhere, I'd hope you would read a few of the threads beforehand.  In doing so, B's Legion would have come up.  A logical though would be, "That guy has almost 9,000 posts here.  I will avoid choosing a screen name that is very similar."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

let's get back on topic.  the topic being all the hockey that's not being played.

anything new not happen today?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

let's get back on topic.  the topic being all the hockey that's not being played.

anything new not happen today?

Sure, the sides are due to meet on Friday. Although I believe it is going to be cancelled. There were no Tuna wraps ordered...only Turkey, Ham, and Veggie. The NHLPA has taken a very strong, almost immovable stance regarding this affront.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Choosing Bruinsligeon simply is myopic on two levels.  One you don't visit here often before you supposedly chose your screen name.  Two if you did know of BsLegion then you are ego tripping at the gates of hell.  The devil is Badhab! He likes to cause trouble with waiters at bars that is why his wife accompanies him.  Hehe.  

Seobrien, I think you are correct.  I might preface by saying the media spikes by both the NHL owners and NHLPA are not very enlightening.  The NHLPA does not want a roll back of 20%, of which I agree.  Then the topic goes to revenue sharing, with the % not changing.  The owners have a point I believe in lower the revenue sharing porportions.  Clearly the NHLPA recognizes the league has financial albatrosses in cities like Pheonix et al.  If then the argument then leads to how do you divvy up a new % revenue sharing cba compromise to help those teams.  Clearly in my mind that is not the role of the NHLPA to design a CBA which tells the NHL owners how to handle revenues.  That is interfering with the spirit of free enterprise.   

If I understand you statement correctly, the owners are caught in a bind.  No roll back, but a more apportionately favorable revenue sharing for the owners does not mean the NHLPA has the power to suggest how the money is to be divided.  Fehr is holding the owners hostage at this point.  BTW I firmly believe that the players contracts should not be rolled back, free labor like free enterprise means a contract is a contract!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

All I need to know about the cba is that the NHL had record profits and want to cut their workers pay. I will always side with the workers in this case... The owners are pure greedy and have also stuck it to their customers. Me being one of them they locked all my money up along with other season ticket holders they have broken the law. By not providing me the service I have paid for and refusing to give my money back... Until they see fit. so if you come on here calling out the players you obv don't have a clue. They are the victims along with the customers, the criminal is the one shutting down shop to try and force workers out of their fair share. what are they going to do outsource hockey to china. Greedy scum that's how I feel about the owners they can take my tickets and shove them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You have season tickets like you got 32 minutes for arguing an offsides call.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to heyoo's comment:

All I need to know about the cba is that the NHL had record profits and want to cut their workers pay. I will always side with the workers in this case... The owners are pure greedy and have also stuck it to their customers. Me being one of them they locked all my money up along with other season ticket holders they have broken the law. By not providing me the service I have paid for and refusing to give my money back... Until they see fit. so if you come on here calling out the players you obv don't have a clue. They are the victims along with the customers, the criminal is the one shutting down shop to try and force workers out of their fair share. what are they going to do outsource hockey to china. Greedy scum that's how I feel about the owners they can take my tickets and shove them.

"Season-ticket holders may elect to earn a 1 percent APR credit on the ticket money for games missed and receive monthly refunds on the ticket money for games missed. The 1 percent APR credit from games missed will stay on account."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

On a random note - is there a way to ignore posters anymore?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Ya too bad inflation is around 2.5% on a good day. So I am losing money everyday they hold it in their bank accounts. And if you didn't read the fine print on that they don't have to pay you until ten business days after the last day of the month so mid November we will get our first payment. The two options offered were insulting  the way they are sitting on our money and using it to lleverage against the players it is insulting. They lost a customer and I know plenty of others that feel the same way. Hope they lose a quarter of their ticket holders bcs of their actions. Then maybe they will learn how to treat people. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

On a random note you were one of the names on the banned list discussion board. So ya they should prob bring that back.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Nice, Heyoo. Where can I find this thread?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

Nice, Heyoo. Where can I find this thread?

I was wondering the same thing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

The thread was before the recent makeover. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Just goes to show you. Having season tickets does not make a person any smarter regarding hockey talk.

Sections
Shortcuts